Lupo Restaurant & Vinoteca
869 Hamilton Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 2R7Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: CAN$30 and under
Lupo Restaurant & Vinoteca
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.luporestaurant.ca/
- Phone: 604-569-2535
- Hours of Operation:
Reservations Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Julio Gonzalez Perini
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: seated private room for up to 30
- Private Party Contact: Michael Mameli 604 569 2535
A word from Lupo Restaurant & Vinoteca
Modern Italian cooking emphasizing quality and value. Lupo Restaurant located at the entrance to Vancouver’s famous Yaletown area. Theatres, Concert and sporting venues all within a short walk.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Lupo Restaurant & Vinoteca - Best Restaurants in Yaletown ›
Lupo Restaurant & Vinoteca reviews from OpenTable diners
183 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (129)fit for foodies (119)neighborhood gem (103)romantic (100)notable wine list (75)good for groups (29)late-night find (12)hot spot (12)scenic view (5)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- great food and romantic atomsphereStevenDined on 10/26/2014Very good food and lots of selections. Wine list is impressive and affordable. Not much of a view but atomsphere is both romantic and hommy. Good for family dining out or special occasion. Waitress who helped us was very friendly and knowledgable about the food/wine selection. Though the waiter who helped us while the waitress was busy was less knowledgable and gave me the feeling that he didn't care.Special Features:
- Noisy if a big group is celebratingAliceHDined on 10/26/2014Everything is wonderful about this restaurant with one exception. We were seated next to a large party who were celebrating a birthday and the noise level overpowered our conversation. Next time I will ask if there are reservations for a large group and ask to sit somewhere else.Special Features:
- Not as a romantic mealMikeyoxDined on 10/25/2014The food was good but not great. The service was great. The noise level was quite loud and it is not a place for a romantic dinner. The prices were expensive for the food but expected due to the location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A really superb Italian restaurantBearwifeVIPDined on 10/25/2014This restaurant delivers a four star experience for a very moderate price. We were wowed by the beautiful decor, the attentive, knowledgeable service, and above all by the really incredible food. My wild mushroom taglione was one of the best things I've ever eaten. Appetizers and entrees were particularly wonderful, as was my memorable Rosso de Montalcino wine.Special Features:
- Lovely MealmmmmmDined on 10/24/2014Each of our courses was wonderful, most notably the Lobster RisottoSpecial Features:
- Fantastic - the very best!!CynthiaDined on 10/23/2014We had such a great time- wonderful service, great food- beautiful location!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurpriseRowlyDined on 10/23/2014I've walked by this unassuming restaurant frequently but only recently went for dinner. The service was very welcoming, friendly and efficient without being intrusive. Each plate was beautifully presented with creative flavour combinations - it can be touch to make Italian fare surprising and new. But the imported truffle pasta, the burrata/tomato/beet salad and fish options were nothing short of spectacular. The atmosphere in a rebuilt heritage low Victorian early 1900s house was rare and delightful. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Price unfit for quality of servicefoodievanDined on 10/21/2014Food is more homely than most other restaurant of similar price range, which i don't mind, as long as the ingredients are high quality and dishes are hard to find at restaurants and you can only have it at home. Service was extremely slow for all dishes, about 45 minutes per course. And we sat through 4 course meals...... Typically, a good restaurant offers either 1. more food/drinks on the house, or 2. take off the dish that's taking a long, long, long time. You don't have to go to an expensive restaurant to get this kind of service, I waited 40 minutes for an entree at Olive Garden and the manager personally came by to apologize and took care of the bill. Also, the window seats were very cold. They def. need to reseal the windows.Special Features:
- MagnificoOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/17/20141st time at Lupo...it was soooooo goooood! Really really great food! It's a nice setting in an old character home gives it a nice ambience. The food was impressive. Only thing I have to say is that it was a bit slow between courses but when the food arrived it was worth the wait. Fantastic! Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- AveragelovetoeatoutDined on 10/16/2014Food was not as exceptional as I was expecting, and service was average. Very noisy.
- UnderwhelmedBeenThereDined on 10/16/2014Having read recent reviews, we were looking forward to a great meal, great service and a great setting. Only the food met our expectations. Servers need more training on wine selections.
- Pleasant experienceStkluvrDined on 10/16/2014Not a big fan of Italian food but there are only two Italian restaurants I love in this city...Lupo and Cioppino's. This time it was another great experience at Lupo. Great food. Had the buffalo mozzarella salad as appetizer and Lamb osobucco as main dish. Good and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RTseVIPDined on 10/12/2014We brought my wife's parents here for their belated anniversary dinner. They were very impressed by the food and the service. We all had a fabulous night. Thank you Lupo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wineandineVIPDined on 10/12/2014Really wonderful meal, but the only reason why I'd give it four starts and not five is because the pasta bolognese was not on fresh penne, and very overpriced. The sausage was absolutely delicious and some of the best I ever had. Amazing service!
- Good Food - Be more transparentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/11/2014Food was good, ambience fine but I was disappointed with the service. We had our 3 year old with us - he only wants Pasta and Butter. So when his food arrived it was an item from the menu - no effort to meet our childs request and full price charge for the course. Be transparent - not likely we'll go back - Vancouver has far too much to offer that's better.Special Features:
- JoskiDined on 10/4/2014We really enjoyed our first dinner at Lupo. The food and service were very good but the noise level was high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014Good choice in each course, and each item was well prepared and presented. Wine list quite tilted towards pricey end, so not a great choice under $70Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre event diningFoodieVIPDined on 10/2/2014Loop is a good restaurant to go to for a meal before an event at the QE. Great Italian food in a charming house & very friendly service! Their house made pastas are worth trying.Special Features:
- Yummy!!LindaBVIPDined on 9/29/2014My husband and I, after a cruise dined in Vancouver on Sunday and Monday. Although Sunday's dining was great, we wish we knew about Lupo beforehand. The restaurant was like dining at my Italian grandmothers!!! Old classics done with an inventive twist. The antipasto, meatballs fonduta, beet salad, hand made pastas and chicken cacciatore were so good, I could have kissed the chef!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful find for 2 CaliforniansfromSFDined on 9/29/2014After retiring and moving from San Francisco where I have lived for 35 years, my wife and I were starved for fine food. We stumbled upon Lupo which is just across the street from where we are staying in Vancouver. The food was so good that it can only be experienced and the service was excellent. I only wish we could be in Vancouver more often so that we could eat at Lupo more often. We plan to eat there one more time before we go home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going downhilljenjenVIPDined on 9/27/2014This was our 3rd time at Lupo and we were very disappointed. The food was good, but not as stellar as it's been in the past. The service was terrible. It took 15 minutes for the waiter to take our drink order, and that level of service continued for the rest of the meal.Special Features:
- Pretheatre DiningfridaydinerDined on 9/27/2014The food and service was fantastic. The timing was perfect so that we had ample time to walk to the QET.Special Features:
- Excellent if you can handle stairsfinetushDined on 9/25/2014Great food, good wine and attentive service. Two problems: you must climb 12 steps to get into the restaurant and another flight to the rest rooms. Impossible for mobility challenged people; second, staff is frenetic. I have rarely seen such a level of activity in a restaurant. Does not lend itself to calm dining. Aside from those issues it is a great place.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014This is our favorite restaurant in Vancouver. Its in a converted old house, which not everyone likes, with interesting art on the walls. The service is friendly and prompt but not rushed. The food is drop dead delicious. I recommend the burrata, the meatballs, any of the pastas or the lamb shank.Special Features:
- Perfect!ccshawvancouverDined on 9/20/2014Delicious food, friendly service, lovely romantic atmosphere. We will definitely be back! Looked for a nice place to celebrate our anniversary, and it didn't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A cozy evening overallKabitaDined on 9/20/2014I'd requested a cozy corner table for my husband and I to celebrate his birthday. We were received with a warm welcome & seated at the side of the room and were very happily surprised when the hostess offered to move us to an actual 'corner table' after it opened up soon after our arrival; excellent service. The food was delicious & the server friendly, approachable & knowledgeable about the menu/wine list. Downside: we were offered a bread basket (very common in Vancouver restaurants) & were surprised to find a charge for it on our bill (especially since we hardly touched it). For a high end & high-priced restaurant, this seemed a bit petty - we mentioned this to our server. There's also poor sound absorption and it can get really loud.Special Features:
- Good for a night outmamabear77Dined on 9/20/2014Wasn't sure what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised. Food was good, fresh. It really is like eating in an old character home. Quaint. If you want a happening, loud place this is not the place to be. Good for a quiet meal out.Special Features:
- TjmpVIPDined on 9/18/2014An excellent experience as always. Chris and Julie were attentive and friendly. The food was excellent as always. Their focaccia bread is the best I've ever had and I always order the stuffed quail entree. The setting in an old heritage house is a great setting for a romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fine DiningFoodArtLoverDined on 9/17/2014The food was of outstanding quality. Having eaten in many Michelin-starred restaurants before, I would definitely rate the quality one star. The service was also excellent. Overall it was a great experience.Special Features:
- A gemVancouverDined on 9/16/2014One of my favorite restaurants anywhere. The chef uses local, fresh ingredients and combines fantastic flavors from this region. Friendly staff and just a great place for dinner. The penne pasta that I had was fabulous as was the cheese salad. Great place for couples.Special Features:
- Focus on Food and Service -BeenHereSince72Dined on 9/16/2014I was going to title this "old school focus on food and service' and then thought that people might take that as a criticism. What I mean is that here is a restaurant that still understands and operates on the baisis that eating out is ABOUT the food and service! It's such a treat to be served well and unobrtrusively. It's also a treat to have fine Italian food with an emphasis on freshnes, flavour and creative presentation. One leaves feeling fed in body and soul.Special Features:
- PerfectoFoodieForLifeDined on 9/14/2014This is my 3rd time here. This was my first time bringing my in laws and sister in law with her boyfriend. You know when you talk something up to someone so much you ate afraid when it finally happens that it won't be like the last time? Well Lupo had continued to make all of my senses come alive yet again and head yet to disappoint me. We head concert tickets for 8 pm and made reservations for 530. It was the first time we were seated upstairs. It felt like we were in our own private room worth our own bar. The service from Shawn was impeccable. Always there worth my wine bottle in hand, chilled to perfection, or with water for the non wino's. Everyone's dish was amazing and we all shared each others bites. My guests were awestruck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Favourite RestaurantAmuseBoucheVIPDined on 9/10/2014Lupo is a tucked away gem in Yaletown. A converted two-storey house and veranda, it instantly feels welcoming and homey, but still upscale, like an elegant dinner party. The staff are friendly, observant and attentive, and one went out of his way to entertain a diner's young child. Our first visit here was for my birthday, but it will certainly not be our last. I had the special - a truly revelational sablefish - and nearly cried when it was over. It was a real lesson in perfectly prepared fish: flavourful, tender, meaty flakes, balanced with sweet summer vegetables. My partner had the most flavourful wild mushroom taglierini, which emanated the mouthwatering aroma of earthy, buttery truffles and featured the most succulent chanterelles.Special Features:
- Made an ImpressionFoodieVIPDined on 9/10/2014I took some guests from out of town into Lupo last week and assured them that the food was great and service even better. It was a huge hit! Nathan was awesome; friendly, fun and knowledgeable. Started with a shared Fresh cheese and tomato salad which was melt in your mouth. The homemade ravioli was so good, one of our guests wished that he had had that as his primary dish...until he got his Sablefish. It was marinated overnight, giving it a delicious flavor but light and not overpowering. Lemon tart with 3 forks turned into a tyne fight as we all tried to maintain some dignity but get our 'fair share'. All in all, a wonderful night - again. Business is bringing them back into town soon and it is already on their 'must return' list.Thanks!Special Features:
- As good as I remember It BeingPSvisitorVIPDined on 9/8/2014I lived in Vancouver in the early part of this century, and Lupo (along with the dearly departed Cocco Pazzo) were my two favorite Italian restaurants in this fair city. I wanted to see if my memory still held true, and so I made a reservation recently. I'm happy to say that it is as good, if not better, than I remember it. The pasta was cooked correctly--truly al dente, as it is served in Bologna--and the wine recommendation (from the extensive and expensive list) was perfectly matched to our food. This restaurant is different than most in that it is situated in a converted home on Hamilton. And the ambience is similar--homey, and yet romantic and elegant. I cannot recommend this place highly enough. Bill: $90 each, including wine.Special Features:
- Outstanding Italian foodJonathanDined on 9/7/2014Great food, great service and always a fantastic dinner. Either as a couple or with our older kids, Lupo is always a favourite of ours. Consistently great food, and always superior service. I true gem in Yaletown, I highly recommend going.Special Features:
- Elegant Pre-Event DininginfromtheburbsDined on 9/6/2014My wife and I were attending a downtown show at the Orpheum. We were able park easily on Hamilton in front of the restaurant. The metered parking was valid through to 10pm so for $10 we had parking for the evening. The dinner was elegant and the atmosphere was very refined. The food and menu selection were very good as well. The restaurant had an extensive wine list. We dined leisurely for an hour and a half then walked the 2 or so blocks straight up Smythe to the Orpheum. After the event, we walked down Robson past the Library and back to our car for an easy exit back over the Cambie Bridge and on our way home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FriendlyFahimDined on 9/5/2014One of our favourite restraunts around, the staff is really friendly and provide great service. Menu is always good, great place for couples enjoying a dinner or celebrating an occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive and slow serviceGirlzDined on 9/5/2014Food was ok.. We had purchased the costco voucher for $95. We are thinking our service was poor bc of it. They limit you to 2 appetizer options, and dinner is limited too. Our appetizers were not good, dinner was ok, dessert was excellent. Overall we were left sitting between courses for a long time. Total 3hr dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDINGSuziinTNVIPDined on 9/4/2014We chose the restaurant on a whim and boy were we happy. This neighborhood restaurant is set in an old home that has been beautifully preserved. The food was outstanding - we had specials and off the menu items - and the service was very good. When we go back to Vancouver, this will be on the list to return!Special Features: