170 Thompson Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.luparestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2129825089
- Hours of Operation:
Sundays - Thursdays: 11:30am-11pm;
Fridays & Saturdays: 11:30am-12midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Cruz Goler
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Join us for Easter on Sunday, March 31st! We are offering a 4-course menu prepared in the traditional Roman style! Reservations now available by phone only: (212) 982-5089
- Cross Street: Between Houston and Bleecker Streets
- Public Transit: B,D,F,V or A,C,E to West 4th St.
6 to Bleecker St.
1 to Houston St.
R or W to Prince St.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available at a public garage at 223 Thompson Street, between Bleecker and West 3rd Streets.
A word from Lupa
A Greenwich Village favorite, this collaboration between partners Mario Batali, Joseph Bastianich, and Mark Ladner specializes in high quality, moderately priced Roman fare with a New York edge. Lupa is a fun, boisterous and unpretentious trattoria with a warm and welcoming atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lupa reviews from OpenTable diners
381 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (232)neighborhood gem (197)notable wine list (152)special occasion (149)romantic (135)great for lunch (89)hot spot (80)good for groups (39)late-night find (31)vibrant bar scene (27)great for brunch (26)kid-friendly (17)great for outdoor dining (9)scenic view (5)Show More
- WonderfulsukitoDined on 8/28/2014Lupa is a one of those restaurants you will keep talking about and going back to. The staff make you feel you are the most import person in the room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pasta tastingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/28/2014Individually, each pasta were flavorful, pasta was cooked correctly. However as a tasting, the first three pastas were too similar in flavors, with the first pasta as the boldest flavor, it dulled the next two. The abundance of peppers in the very first pasta made the next two dull. The rest were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make a reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014This the first time I've gotten to eat at Lupa after several tries. Now I see why it's hard to get a reservation. It is quite small. The menu is somewhat limited as well but the food is spectacular. The ambience is comfortable and cozy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very memorable mealCitygirl1Dined on 8/26/2014We enjoyed a scrumptious meal for our 35th anniversary. I had requested the back room and the restaurant honored our request, which was good, because it's much quieter. The pasta was among the best I've ever eaten. Cocktails delicious. Wine advice excellent. This is not a formal place, and if you prefer to dress casually and not have a stuffy environment, this is a superb choice. The server and the table staff paid enough attention, but did not hover. Just right. Thanks so much.Special Features:
- Awesome ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/23/2014Service was great, food amazing ... definetely recommend!Special Features:
- Another fine mealkatydidVIPDined on 8/23/2014Lupa doesn't disappoint. Fine Italian cuisine, not fancy, not fanciful, just delicious. We love all of their pastas in which they pocket fresh summer corn! And our favorite is the hazelnut ice cream tartuffo. But honestly, everything here is good. I had a wonderful salad of escarole, capers, pecorino cheese and walnuts, another dining companion loved the sardines to start and a third had a standout salad of spinach with warm pancetta dressing. For entrees we always go with lighter pasta because we want to save room for the fabulous tartuffo! In addition to the corn pasta, we had a wonderful daily special of a pork ragout with a house made fresh pasta, simple and delicious! Just do it!Special Features:
- A place that is FOUND!luvyumnhealthDined on 8/22/2014Great energy. A young hip place that enjoys being found in the middle of a hip neighborhood. The food is a combination of original and classic Italian fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceImafoodieDined on 8/17/2014I picked based on reviews and it was perfect for our weekend in NYCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sommelier, all else just okNnrcVIPDined on 8/16/2014The waiter was not very good. For the specials of the evening, he did not tell us how they were prepped and didn't know when asked. The sommelier was fantastic, however. The homemade cavatelli special was fantastic. The saltimbocca was dry. All in all, we would not go back...
- Not worth the HypeIJustlovetoeatDined on 8/16/2014Though the place is friendly and service was I don't think Luna stacks up.The portions were so small I felt like I was in a French restaurant. We had a table of 5. and each ordered a pasta( witch the waiter made sound like it was massive) and split 2 meat dishes.You had to keep asking for more bread in the hope of filling up.We left the restaurant and grabbed a slice of pizza on the way out at a local place nearby. Not a repeat for me.
- LOVE LupasuzfoodieDined on 8/15/2014I've been to Lupa several times now and am never disappointed. The food is amazing and the atmosphere is so warm and comfortable. Our waiter was incredibly friendly and helpful. He gave us great suggestions. I wish I could remember his name, but he was wonderful! I will keep coming to Lupa when I'm in town!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lupa delivers yet again!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014I had already dined at Lupa in 2009 for the first time and was ultimately blown away by the food - I mean... Mario Battali has it down to a science. Our evening was very pleasurable! Our server Joel was incredibly knowledgeable, genuine and friendly. Would definitely dine again next time visiting New York City!Special Features:
- Food Very Good - Service RushedCynthiaKDined on 8/14/2014Second visit to Lupa since May. Started with marinated olives, spinach & warm pancetta salad, insalata di baccala (salted cod) and marinated sardines. Had glasses of white Lacryma Christi with our appetizers. Enjoyed very good main dishes of spaghetti con pomodoro, polla all diavola and coda all vaccinara (braised oxtail). Although we had told the waitress we were not in a hurry, our appetizers came quite soon after the order was placed. We were still drinking our white wine when the main courses were placed on our table so instead of ordering a bottle of red wine to enjoy before and during our dinner, we ordered glasses of red Lacryma Christi. Two of us had desserts of sorbet and biscotti. Total bill including tax & tip was $340.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San81Dined on 8/14/2014We went for lunch during the restaurant week. The food was good- made from fresh top quality ingredients but nothing spectacular. The desert on the other hand was amazing! The hazelnut tartufo was rich, delicious without being overly sweet. The wine list is extensive and the servers are very attentive. Overall we had a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Restaurantluv2travelDined on 8/14/2014We eat at Lupa whenever we come to New York City and have never been disappointed. The total experience of eating there is excellent. We can't say enough about the quality and presentation of the food as well as the good service.Special Features:
- Extremely EnjoyableamylouDined on 8/13/2014I took my mother here for the pasta tasting menu. It was excellent and extremely indulgent. It was by no means haute cuisine. Instead it was typically Mario: elevated roman cuisine with excellent ingredients and preparation. The standout, however, was the wine list. I've never seen a more approachable one for excellent, budget-conscious wines. I would definitely return, possibly for the Roman tasting menu.Special Features:
- WowHot2naDined on 8/13/2014Incredible meal. Pasta was perfect as was everything else. Expensive bit worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud or Louder?RGartDined on 8/12/2014Wish the first thing I remembered was the food and not how loud the music played. Call me old fashioned, but I enjoy conversation with a meal. Don't require "hushed tones" of dining in the 80s, but Lupa was loud, unfortunately with speakers everywhere. That said, the meal was really quite good. Crispy sweetbreads weren't quite crispy and a bit underseasoned, but delicious nonetheless. Daily pasta special was of cavatelli was excellent. As were both appetizers: heirloom tomatoes with buffala mozzarella was especially good. Would I go again? Probably not -- but only due to inescapable noise level which then elevates conversation levels high enough to hear what your neighbors are shouting at one another.
- Cacio e pepeFoodieODined on 8/9/2014The "roman" cacio e pepe was way too peppery....made me cough and sweat....wish they did not skimp on the grana Padano and pecorino.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerMJR13Dined on 8/8/2014Came here with friends to celebrate my birthday, we enjoyed a lovely meal. The salumi platter was excellent and highly recommended. We also really enjoyed the panna cotta. Pastas were good and perfectly cooked, although for me needed a squeeze of lemon juice to lift them. Overall a very enjoyable meal and evening with great server, sommelier and everyone else we interacted with.Special Features:
- restaurant weeksistersdayoutDined on 8/8/2014Choices were good but service was limited. In fact, the prior guests at the table we were seated at Had left $150.00 cash in payment. Upon adjusting my chair I found it actually on my seat, never collected by the waitress. I signalled for the hostess explaining that this must have been left and no one had collected it. Now a gesture for my honesty should have been a glass of wine on the house. This did not happen. This has not jaded me in any way but perhaps the next patrons will not be as kindSpecial Features:
- OUTSTANDINGFLsistersDined on 8/8/2014My sister and I had lunch during restaurant week. The food was delicious, especially the homemade mozzarella! I can't wait to return to Lupa!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanksgiving2013VIPDined on 8/8/2014With so many great restaurants in the city I never go back until 6 months later. Lupa's food was so delicious that I went back after only 2 weeks. It did not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as good as beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2014somewhat disappointing. we ordered meat dishes this time, all too salty and lacking flavors. the pasta dish was also too salty to enjoy the flavors.
- Great Service!SwimPrincessDined on 8/7/2014The service is always fantastic at Lupa. Tartufo for dessert is always a favorite with our group. It's the best ending to a good lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food okay; service not at allhootie43Dined on 8/5/2014Very disappointed with Lupa. I was put off right from the start when we had to step out of the staff's way when trying to walk down the narrow space between the tables and the bar and not vice versa (come on, guys, I am a polite person but you are in a service industry). One of our servers kept telling us "no worries" in response to things like our saying which kind of water we wanted; everyone called us "you guys." Our waiter plunked our wine down in front of us without letting us taste it, and then plunked down the check without asking if we wanted it first. I had to get up to refill our water myself while our waiter socialized. Food was pretty good--carciofi were inconsistently seasoned--but not a reason to return. Batali is coasting.
- Always a great dining experienceMarlenedcVIPDined on 8/5/2014Our waiter Charlo helped us to create our own appetizer with cheeses and various meats sliced freshly, olives, a fig confit and blueberries, lovely combinations, fresh heirloom tomatoes and basil to add another layer of taste! It was a meal in itself. The crispy duck is like nothing I've tasted before, succulent and so flavorful and the carbonara is an over the top treat! We would avoid the fig dessert next time, overly sweet.we had a party with the tables nearby which expanded the fun of the evening!!!Special Features:
- JackieDined on 8/3/2014Great food, great service, just a bit noisy. Will definitely come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/3/2014Food is amazing. Pastas best in the city. Pasta cooked perfectly and prepared with amazing sauces cooked perfectly. Lamb was grilled to perfection and sweetbreads creamy beyond belief. Reasonably priced acompared to other fine Italian restaurants.Special Features:
- a bit disapointedchristine1Dined on 8/3/2014Maybe my expectations were to high but I was a bit disapointed in Lupa. I had the braciola - good but by end of my meal all I could taste was the salt. My son had the saltimboca : presentation was lacking as was taste. My daughter had the pasta - nothing special. Atmosphere is fine but not sure I would recommend this restaurant as it is a bit pricey for what you get.Special Features:
- A beautiful Italian dreamCaroleVIPDined on 8/3/2014Lupa, once again, was like a beautiful Italian dream. Early weekend dinners are great... don't tell anyone. We ordered caraffinas of the Fruilano which is the perfect summer white. Shared the sardine app and never tasted such delicious tender sardines. My perennial favorite is the Ricotta Gnochhi with sausage and fennel. It was as heavenly as always. My wife ordered the pasta special, spinach tagliatelle with Duck Ragu. It was bursting with perfect flavors. We left feeling like we had been to food heaven.Special Features:
- Fantastic Italian CuisineajneupVIPDined on 8/2/2014Great wine list, knowledgeable staff, and a fantastic menu makes an amazing experience.Special Features:
- always greattheotherhawaiianDined on 8/1/2014The food is always good and consistent. Service this time was much better than last time I went (7/5/2014). Last time we were rushed through our meal, all appetizers and cheese arrived at the same time, my wife and I were in and out in less than 45 minutes. This time however, the pace was perfect, we got to enjoy each course and chat in between courses. Maybe it was because I bought a bottle of wine? Hopefully not. Regardless, always a great meal.Special Features:
- Great Food!grescDined on 8/1/2014We split the Roman tasting menu which was over the top good. Came back next week and had the Cacio and Pepe - amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- missmuffetDined on 7/31/2014we tried the pasta tasting menu and it was really good ! the service was efficient and friendly. we had a good time there, enjoyed the food for a reasonable price considering the quality of the dishes ! i would recomend this to all my friends !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- was disappointedTerriMDined on 7/31/2014I was looking forward to coming to this Mario Batali owned restaurant as my good friends highly recommended it. I was very disappointed in the the Antipasti i ordered (Crimini with Parmesan) and did not expect a dish that looked like it took one second to literally throw together. There was no warning on the menu what this dish would be like. It wasn't cooked and our waitress offered no insight. When I mentioned it to the waitress she was not phased and didn't try to make things right. I do not recommend this dish unless you prefer totally dried mushrooms with a sprig of thyme on top. The main dishes were small served alone with no accompanments , but overall this restaurant was disappointing.
- Classy!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014My boyfriend and I came here for lunch during Restaurant Week. They didn't post their Restaurant Week Menu online, so we didn't know what to expect. I wouldn't say the food was exceptional but the dishes were fresh, high quality, and many were homemade. I especially enjoyed the dessert - tartufo and ricotta with honey (simple but delicious.) Service was definitely outstanding!Special Features:
- Always great!FoodieDined on 7/30/2014Love the food and the service. Always interesting flavors and textures and the portions are the perfect size!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent night out!NYCfirsttimerDined on 7/29/2014Great food and terrific ambiance. The service was excellent and we enjoyed our evening out. Wine list was way beyond our knowledge, but the sommelier was very helpful.Special Features:
- crispyVIPDined on 7/28/2014major disappointment. chef was not accommodating to food allergies. everything was extremely salty. portions were small and expensive. not what it used to be.