170 Thompson Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.luparestaurant.com/
- Phone: (212) 982-5089
- Hours of Operation:
Sundays - Thursdays: 11:30am-11pm;
Fridays & Saturdays: 11:30am-12midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Cruz Goler
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Join us for Easter on Sunday, March 31st! We are offering a 4-course menu prepared in the traditional Roman style! Reservations now available by phone only: (212) 982-5089
- Cross Street: Between Houston and Bleecker Streets
- Public Transit: B,D,F,V or A,C,E to West 4th St.
6 to Bleecker St.
1 to Houston St.
R or W to Prince St.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available at a public garage at 223 Thompson Street, between Bleecker and West 3rd Streets.
A word from Lupa
A Greenwich Village favorite, this collaboration between partners Mario Batali, Joseph Bastianich, and Mark Ladner specializes in high quality, moderately priced Roman fare with a New York edge. Lupa is a fun, boisterous and unpretentious trattoria with a warm and welcoming atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lupa reviews from OpenTable diners
394 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (263)neighborhood gem (203)notable wine list (162)special occasion (144)romantic (134)hot spot (95)great for lunch (67)good for groups (47)vibrant bar scene (39)late-night find (34)great for outdoor dining (16)great for brunch (13)kid-friendly (12)scenic view (3)Show More
- Below average Italian with poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/21/2014Food was only OK. One of the starters we had was really nice (spinach salad) but the rest of the feed was just average. Staff is poorly trained and crossed over our faces to pour water several times. Would not rush back.
- Fantastic Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014My boyfriend and I visit NYC on business about 2x a year; every time we go, we pick one night to have a really nice, splurgy dinner out. This time Lupa was our choice and it turned out to be a good one. When we arrived, the front dining room was full and the bar was packed. It was super loud and we were a little concerned. However, we were seated in the back room which was much quieter and more conducive to conversation and a calm, relaxed meal. Having never been there before, we asked our waiter for his recommendations and he took the time to go through the menu with us, describing unfamiliar items and letting us know which were his favorites. Once we made our meal choices, he recommended a wine to go with the meal. All of his recommendations were spot on. Of our meal, the saltimbcoca was absolutely the best thing we got. The combination of the veal and the prosciutto was good, but add in the braised escarole and it was simply amazing. The grilled bass was good, but not nearly as flavorful as the saltimbocca. We were very pleased with the food and the service at Lupa. I know I'll be recommending it to friends when they go to NYC to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THIS is service.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/19/2014We had a small problem with one of our main courses. The manager made it right and then some. Great food, great atmosphere and superb service! Go and enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food-Way Too CrowdedEasygoingNewYorkerDined on 11/18/2014We live in the neighborhood near Lupa and are sorry to strike this from our list of favorite restaurants. It is so crowded and noisy, we won't go back….but it's a shame because the food really is fantastic. If you don't mind being knocked by waiters every time they pass in order to have a great meal, this is the restaurant for you. PS: I am generally an easy-going diner!Special Features:
- Is Lupa Losing It?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/18/2014I was long overdue for a meal at Lupa, and I was looking forward to taking a professional acquaintance from out of town there--the perfect cozy spot for a blustery cold night, right? Wrong. Even though the restaurant was virtually empty when we arrived, we were seated close to the door, and each time the door opened, we were treated to a blast of cold air. The tables for two are too small to hold the generously sized plates. Waiter? Inattentive. Food? Stunningly subpar. (Salad sodden with balsamic, burnt saltimbocca.) The bill? Glad we checked, as we were charged for a drink at the bar we did not have. In other words, yeesh. Come back, Lupa! Miss ya.
- True ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/16/2014I lived in Italy for a year and so I now I'm particular about Italian food - Lupa is one of my favorites Italian restaurants in the US. It has very authentic with just a little New York flair. They use amazingly flavorful ingredients like great olive oil. I think I've liked pretty much everything I've tried here, but some items that stood out were the beets with pistachio, fried artichoke hearts, carbonara, cacio e pepe, straciatella pasta, flank steak and the tartufo dessert (it's like a better version of bacci candy with ice cream and fudge instead of candy).I would recommend this to a friend.
- MabelOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014This was an overall great dinner. The waiter was very helpful with suggestions regarding tastes and portions, and the food was very good. Been here in the past, but it is always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious food with one exceptionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/14/2014only thing that kept me from giving 5 stars is the pork cheeks were underwhelmingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PumpkinDined on 11/13/2014Great atmosphere, excellent food and friendly service - thoroughly enjoyed our exprience!Special Features:
- Not professional serviceAngieDined on 11/13/2014I have lunch/dinner at Lupa at least twice a month. I love the food. This visit was very different than any other experiences. On 2 separate occasions food was removed from in front of me before I was finished eating by a very pushy staff person. Both times, I informed the staff person that I was still eating and to leave my plate. He did not apologize but just kept hovering. I have spoken to the manager before, always to complement him on the amazing food and service, and wanted to pass this information to him about this experience, however, we were with dinner guests and I didn't want to ruin the experience for them - they later commented to they too noticed right away this pushy staff person. It's a shame. Please train your staff properly. Guests eat and tip well so they can enjoy their meal. Unfortunately, I'll be looking for a new spot and will no longer recommend to friends.
- Rose624VIPDined on 11/12/2014I enjoyed this restaurant. The food was great and the service was excellent. The skate fish was perfect. I would go back again.Special Features:
- Romantic DinnerfoodfinderDined on 11/10/2014My husband and I celebrated our 10 year wedding anniversary in NYC. We spent some time reviewing restaurants to find the perfect place. We found it! The food was delicious and the service was great to. When making our reservations we noted that it was our anniversary and they brought our desserts out with a candle and said happy anniversary. How special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No faultsCRDehnertVIPDined on 11/10/2014Food was amazing. Pasta- one of the best in the city. Had octopus that they cooked perfectly. Service was attentive, nice, and not over the top.Special Features:
- Always a favorite2todineDined on 11/10/2014Makes us feel like we're back in Rome. A great welcome, food prepared perfectly and outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a wonderful placeBarbiniDined on 11/10/2014We each had a pasta and a main dish, skate, sea bass, lamb chops. The pastas were all excellent as were the entrees. The waiter was charming and attentive. Wines were also tasty. What more could you want?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisaappointedgabeDined on 11/9/2014We sat at one of the 2 tables by the door, extremely unpleasant. Everyone waiting for a table hung over us, literally inches away. We complained to the host, who gave us a complimentary desert. Good management. Nonetheless, it didn't not make up for the unpleasant experience. In defense, the host said we're a small restaurant, needing to use all our space. Can't imagine we were the first to complain about this situation. The restaurant has a small out door area that is covered in plastic. It could be heated for people to wait there instead on in the laps of these 2 tables. By the way and perhaps this fact is coincidental but we were tourists as were the folks sitting next to us were. As to the food, it was okay but not exceptional.
- Always So GoodTomCVIPDined on 11/9/2014Another excellent dinning experience. The tagliatelle being bland but the cacio e pepe & Braciola Alla Cacciatora more than made up for it. Service was right on & great casual energetic vibe.Special Features:
- One of the great onesGrateful4GreatDiningDined on 11/8/2014Lupa = extraordinary food filled with flavor, texture, subtlety, and richness. Service was exquisite: present, available, informed and understated. Ambience is remarkable - the restaurant was full, people sitting close; music was Led Zeppelin (YES!), and yet we had no trouble carrying on a comfortable conversation, nor were our neighbors were in on ours, or us theirs. They have the best sound design in the city- music floats above the crowd providing a certain energy without driving it. Primi was an exquisite pasta with a sauce full of favor; secondi chosen from daily specials, each rich, plentiful, and distinctly noteworthy. Wine also exceptional. Not inexpensive, but price was more than reasonable for quality and not a budget buster.Special Features:
- Rude hostessExcellentDined on 11/8/2014I arrived at Lupa 5 minutes before my reservation and the hostess was very rude. She didn't offer that I wait at the bar. Few minutes later she did the same to another lady. Finally when it was time to be seated she gave us the worst table crunched next to another couple when there were so many other tables available! And when I requested another I got attitude from her. I will never go back or recommend lupa!
- Fantastic Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014We came from out of town to visit NYC and Lupa topped our list of places to visit. It was an incredible dining experience. All of our expectations were exceeded. Food was fantastic, service was impeccible, and ambiance was lively. You knew you were in a special place from the moment you walked in. Would strongly recommend Lupa to anyone looking for an authentic Italian dinning experience in NYC. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth going out of ur way!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/7/2014Went here for dinner on the recommendation of 2 foodie friends. We were not disappointed. Pastas & sauces super fresh & service was on point. Enjoyed wines as recommended by our server too. Best was dessert in the heavenly form of Lupa Gelato, a chocolate & hazelnut experience of epic proportions. U need to make room for that! The only thing we didn't enjoy was the 80's soundtrack. Wasn't conduscive to fully enjoying the meal; however, we had reservations on the earlier side & so were able to actually hear the music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- got snookered on wineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Food was very good. Ordered 2 glasses of wine per server's recommendation. Left a bad taste for our experience that the wine was $25 PER GLASS and we were not informed of the price. Don't mind spending $50 or more on wine - but for a bottle, not glass.
- Amazing Cacio e PepevlasDined on 11/6/2014We come here for the Cacio e Pepe but everything else is delicious too. One of our favorite restaurants in NYC.Special Features:
- Overzealous Busboysjas3girlDined on 11/6/2014I've been to Lupa many times throughout the years and last Thursday was the least pleasant of all of the times I have went. Waitress forgot to take our order or notify us of the specials for 30 minutes. Busboys were uncomfortably lurking and asking us if they could take plates that still had food on them/wine was poured into already full glasses. The mostly MIA waitress was suddenly very attentive when dropping off the check and waiting for our cards to go down. Felt like the staff was formerly employed at the Olive Garden in Times Square. Very tacky experience taking away from delicious takes on traditional roman fare. Would only recommend to a tourist at this point in Lupas game.
- Pasta is amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/3/2014They had a pasta tasting which we considered but then decided to do our own. And it was great! We picked 4 dishes and they split them for us and brought them out when ready so it was a smooth service and a very delightful dinner. Overall another Batali gem.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service!DeeDeeDined on 11/3/2014We were from AZ and just not sure where to find an authentic Italian meal. This got good reviews on Open Table so we gave it a try. Lupa's did not disappoint! It was worth the subway ride across town. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AuthenticSouthernGirlDined on 11/2/2014Lupa was recommended by a local friend. Glad we went! A memorable evening! Almost perfect in every way!Special Features:
- Loved it!VaneDined on 11/1/2014Great place for a date or couple's celebration. The food was DELICIOUS and they have great wine. Of course the oliva oil cake and the dates are a mustSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and awesome service.IluvnyDined on 10/30/2014The food was exceptional and the device was awesome.Special Features:
- Great pasta and serviceJVSFDined on 10/29/2014Fresh pastas made in house - the pumpkin capellaci and cacio e Pepe were delicious! Roasted Brussels sprouts were a bit overdone. The saltimbocca was good but next time I'd order a starter and pasta. Great wine list although I'd prefer to pour myself. Olive oil cake was just okay though the spiced poached pears were tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Date NightMereDined on 10/27/2014It can be a bit intimidating to look at the wine and food menus and not be able to know what you're looking at, since everything is in Italian and it's an Italian wine list (which I am not familiar). Ask the staff and they are MORE than happy to help you. Everything they suggested was wonderful and we didn't leave a bite of anything on our plates! This is my 2nd time to eat at Lupa and I will be going again on my next New York visit! Everything is so fresh and simple, but made to perfection. Cannot recommend this restaurant enough!Special Features:
- Must try!sannVIPDined on 10/27/2014Been wanting to try this restaurant for years and dinner here the other night with a girlfriend did not disappoint. Service from the moment I got into the restaurant till the end of my meal was on par. The food was amazing! We got the bucatini, gnocchi, and the pork and veal sausage. The suggested wine from our server was also delicious! Overall, I would come back again and definitely recommend Lupa to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian hideaway in the villageBiztravelfoodieVIPDined on 10/27/2014Lupa came highly recommended and we weren't disappointed. Primi course pasta mussels and jalapeño was a spicy delight. Main course dishes were all winners for table. Typically close quarters for village restaurant but noise levels were tolerable and conversation was easy across the table. Waiter handled diary allergy issues with ease and immediately checked with the chef to guide one of our party through the menu selections...without drama, eye rolling or huffiness.Special Features:
- Anniversary Night!CanukDined on 10/26/2014We are from out of town and this is the second time we dine at Lupa. It was just as great as the first. I don't think we will ever get tired of going there.Special Features:
- Extremely dissapointedFoodiegrlVIPDined on 10/26/2014I made a reservation here for a very special occasion, my husband's arrival to america after a year of being apart for the visa process. After being promised on the phone the back room where there are nicer tables, when we actually got there the hostess said that it was against policy to guarantee that and shoved us in a corner. There was no sort of apology or accomodation whatsoever. To top it off the food was sub par. I have been there several times before, but I definitely think the quality has gone down. We didnt even bother to get dessert we just wanted to get out.
- Delicious food!NYFrequenterDined on 10/24/2014Great food and service but quite small. Table next to us was nearly touching us.Special Features:
- Lupa Consistantly GreatCondesaVIPDined on 10/23/2014This was our first dinner at Lupa and we are really pleased. The front room is very busy and a bit loud but we were seated in the back room which was quiet and relaxed. My green salad was full of bright flavors and the pasta special was cooked perfectly. I couldn't pass up the tartufo dessert which was out of this world. We will be back.Special Features:
- Delicious Roman food!NatalieDined on 10/23/2014Delicious Roman food. Eclectic dishes. Caci e Pepe was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lupa always a treatCeliaDined on 10/22/2014We always try to go to Lupa whenever we are in NY. The food is always perfect, and there is usually something new on the menu that is a treat! The staff is always friendly and attentive but not overly so, and the sommelier has always made great wine recommendations within our price range. We love this style of Italian food and have recommended Lupa to our friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingBronxDined on 10/21/2014seated in back.. ok but within minutes people were seated next to us when there were open tables .. uncomfortably close & noisy ! Food ok but service was not what was expected!!!! had to ask for condiments.. had to ask for utensils … had to ask for pepper on salad and cheese on pasta!!!!