170 Thompson Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.luparestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2129825089
- Hours of Operation:
Sundays - Thursdays: 11:30am-11pm;
Fridays & Saturdays: 11:30am-12midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Cruz Goler
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Join us for Easter on Sunday, March 31st! We are offering a 4-course menu prepared in the traditional Roman style! Reservations now available by phone only: (212) 982-5089
- Cross Street: Between Houston and Bleecker Streets
- Public Transit: B,D,F,V or A,C,E to West 4th St.
6 to Bleecker St.
1 to Houston St.
R or W to Prince St.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available at a public garage at 223 Thompson Street, between Bleecker and West 3rd Streets.
A word from Lupa
A Greenwich Village favorite, this collaboration between partners Mario Batali, Joseph Bastianich, and Mark Ladner specializes in high quality, moderately priced Roman fare with a New York edge. Lupa is a fun, boisterous and unpretentious trattoria with a warm and welcoming atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lupa reviews from OpenTable diners
379 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (240)neighborhood gem (206)notable wine list (155)romantic (143)special occasion (141)hot spot (89)great for lunch (76)good for groups (40)vibrant bar scene (34)late-night find (30)great for brunch (20)kid-friendly (14)great for outdoor dining (14)scenic view (6)Show More
- Romantic but noisy!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014I was expecting a bit more of this, but since this was our first restaurant stop in NYC after beeing awake 24 hours straight might that have negative impact on my experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AAB6VIPDined on 9/17/2014Great service but food is not what it was before , this is my 5 th or 6 th time in this restaurant and sorely disappointed
- As always deliciousSuitgirl1953Dined on 9/15/2014As always excellent food, super service, knowledgeable wine sommelier, just can't figure out how not to have to sit in the back room. Not nearly as fun as street side. Service makes up for table disappointmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot and coldOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/13/2014I had been looking forward to dining here for a while, but my experience was pretty lack luster. Ambiance is buzzy - could be romantic, but the tables are quite close together which detracts from the romance. Service was spotty - waiter was pleasant and knew a lot about the menu, but he seemed to forget about us from time to time....luckily we weren't in a rush. We ordered the gnocchi off the menu and a pork dish that was one of the specials. Gnocchi was just ok...pasta was fine - light and fluffy like they should be, but the sauce was bland and boring. The flavours of the pork dish were great, but the meat was dry and a bit tough. All in all, it was a fine experience, but I wouldn't rush back to dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comida maravilhosa!PaulinhaDined on 9/13/2014Comida maravilhosa! Ambiente ótimo! Atendimento excelente!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014The food at Lupa is very good however our experience was that the our waitress and Lupa's General Manager need to be more gracious and accomodating to dinning guests.Special Features:
- EllenSEllenSDined on 9/12/2014As always love Lupa. Always accommodating, always great food and service with great wines. Went for dinner with friends and they loved it as well...Special Features:
- Always above the restMarlenedcVIPDined on 9/12/2014The service is impeccable as always. Our waitperson, Charlie was terrific. The red snapper was beyond delicious. My beet appetizer was not up to the usual but they whisked it away and offered a replacement. The carbonara is always a great choice too. We got one for the table to share and it was perfect, a couple of bites really did it. The desserts are always beyond delicious, a great way to end a meal. I love the Tartufo, not like most Italian restaurants, much better. I will come on a Tuesday for the duck next time since it was so amazing the last visit.Special Features:
- Still solid after all these yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/12/2014Had not been to Lupa in years and it did not disappoint. Food was still innovative yet classic Italian, prepared to perfection. The carcofi alla Giudia were crisp yet tender, the halibut over charred corn w cherry tomatoes was excellent. My dining companion did say her mozzarella in the capers was not the best yet raved about her homemade biscotti. I love that Lupa is not a scene while still maintaining it's own hipness. Eels like a perennial that hopefully always remains excellent. Can't wait to go back for a fall menu. If only the waiter was as fine-tuned as the good - he just did not seem so knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best Italian in NYCAdamp3p4VIPDined on 9/9/2014Amazing place even better food I moved to Florida 4 months ago use to come here 4 times a times I missed it so much. Brought 5 new work colleagues a;;; said best food of their lives !! it really is that goodSpecial Features:
- Crowded, Noisy, very RomanDrBobDined on 9/8/2014Most of the tables are small, the noise level is large, and the meal is terrific. I am a fan of Mario's cacio e pepe pasta, and it never fails me. The fried artichokes aren't found in many places and are teriffic. I never has as light a Tartuffo as they serve here. Be prepared to spend a lot for three courses and a decent bottle of wine, but if you can afford it, the dining experience can't be beat.Special Features:
- Always a pleasureBritinNYDined on 9/8/2014Every bite was delicious, particularly the carciofi -,fried baby artichokes, the veal sausage and the panacotta. We had a long, lingering lunch, without the waitress pressuring us to hurry up. It was a really lovely experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved ItOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/7/2014Great dinner in the Village - authentic menu and wine list - we all loved our entrees and the ambiance was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LupaakasDined on 9/7/2014Food was delicious, ambiance was great. Service could have been better. We were in a corner table and kept getting hit by waiters who were VERY attentive to the table next to us. We unfortunately did not receive the same service.Special Features:
- Stephen FStephenFVIPDined on 9/6/2014Never have a bad meal here. True rustic Italian cuisine. Simple but special; and everything is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisapointsFoodfanaticDined on 9/5/2014Lupa always delivers. The service is great and the staff really helps when choosing courses. We always leave satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pasta!LorieDDined on 9/5/2014Service was so so. Our first waitress was amazing and provided great recommendations but 1/2 way through service we were given a different waiter. He seemed distracted and detached.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was out standing.Love2eatDined on 9/5/2014The pasta was cooked aldente! To perfection , the staff was very friendly & attentive. The wine list is amazing. We were very pleased. Seating is a little tight in the front room. I'm not sure if the back room is a little roomier. All & all it was a very easant experience we would definitely dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/4/2014This was my third visit to Lupa and my least favorite of the three. The good was still spectacular except the bucatini which was not spicy at all. The service has decreased in quality. The waiter refused to bring us olives until we placed our full order. Once we placed our full order, the waiter cautioned "Are you sure that's all you want? That's not very much food." Tacky and inaccurate. We were quite full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected more...SaltimboccaDined on 9/2/2014All entrees that we ordered were delicious but some of the portions were just too small (especially Market Fish with Sweet Corn and Cherry Tomatoes). The crispy duck entree was amazing but in my opinion lacked some accompaniment (I guess I was supposed to order 'Contorni' additionally but did not know the duck would actually arrive ungarnished). The service was somewhat 'brisk', I had to hold on to my plate to keep it from being taken away from me before I could even say something! Overall, I had a feeling that we were rushed to finish our meal and leave. I would definitely prefer a more relaxed ambience...Special Features:
- Amazing dinnerLaurabDined on 9/1/2014Great selection, great wine list, great presentation.Special Features:
- Great Italian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014A great find with high quality but reasonably priced food for Manhattan. Service was very good, helpful and informative but not in your face. I'd definitely recommend this Restuarent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointed.AandJVIPDined on 9/1/2014This restaurant is always above our expectations. Exquisite food and our pallets are so happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hunt this wolf downnapoleoninragsDined on 9/1/2014This is a classy spot with very high quality food and service in a romantic setting, which proved great for this meal to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We ate early in the evening, arriving at 6:20pm, as we were going to a music event around the corner. The staff took trouble to find out our tastes before recommending a wide selection of courses on the menu. They encouraged us to split the courses between the two of us so that we could sample many things on the varied menu. (They also have a separate tasting menu, with matching wine). The wines were expensive but the one suggest to us was oh-so-perfect a match for our food selections, and one of the best whites that I have ever tasted. Salami/prosciutto highly recommended, as was skate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Total disappointment!fiftyfoodiesDined on 8/31/2014We are a group of foodies visiting NYC and Lupa had been highly recommended to us. The waiter started with giving us warm Rosé, was indifferent and slow. We had 4 starters, only the beets were good and all the main courses were bad. The sweetbreads were cold and unedible, the pasta wasn´t cooked enough and the Saltimbocca was tasteless and burnt. There are so many good restaurants in NYC, don´t waste your taste buds on Lupa.
- Good, just a little tightjoshFoodieDined on 8/29/2014The food was exceptional as was the wine pairing. It was nice they had a Somm on staff to help with the bottle selection based on the tables orders. The Heirloom Tomato appetizer was out of this world (I could not recommend it enough). The only downside is it was very cramped...our table was virtually on top of our neighboring table (so close in fact you could hear conversations, read their menu's, etc.) Other then that, it was excellent. I would go again without hesitation.Special Features:
- WonderfulsukitoDined on 8/28/2014Lupa is a one of those restaurants you will keep talking about and going back to. The staff make you feel you are the most import person in the room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pasta tastingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/28/2014Individually, each pasta were flavorful, pasta was cooked correctly. However as a tasting, the first three pastas were too similar in flavors, with the first pasta as the boldest flavor, it dulled the next two. The abundance of peppers in the very first pasta made the next two dull. The rest were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make a reservationaltbouchAtLastDined on 8/28/2014This the first time I've gotten to eat at Lupa after several tries. Now I see why it's hard to get a reservation. It is quite small. The menu is somewhat limited as well but the food is spectacular. The ambience is comfortable and cozy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very memorable mealCitygirl1Dined on 8/26/2014We enjoyed a scrumptious meal for our 35th anniversary. I had requested the back room and the restaurant honored our request, which was good, because it's much quieter. The pasta was among the best I've ever eaten. Cocktails delicious. Wine advice excellent. This is not a formal place, and if you prefer to dress casually and not have a stuffy environment, this is a superb choice. The server and the table staff paid enough attention, but did not hover. Just right. Thanks so much.Special Features:
- Awesome ExperiencerockgirlVIPDined on 8/23/2014Service was great, food amazing ... definetely recommend!Special Features:
- Another fine mealkatydidVIPDined on 8/23/2014Lupa doesn't disappoint. Fine Italian cuisine, not fancy, not fanciful, just delicious. We love all of their pastas in which they pocket fresh summer corn! And our favorite is the hazelnut ice cream tartuffo. But honestly, everything here is good. I had a wonderful salad of escarole, capers, pecorino cheese and walnuts, another dining companion loved the sardines to start and a third had a standout salad of spinach with warm pancetta dressing. For entrees we always go with lighter pasta because we want to save room for the fabulous tartuffo! In addition to the corn pasta, we had a wonderful daily special of a pork ragout with a house made fresh pasta, simple and delicious! Just do it!Special Features:
- A place that is FOUND!luvyumnhealthDined on 8/22/2014Great energy. A young hip place that enjoys being found in the middle of a hip neighborhood. The food is a combination of original and classic Italian fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceImafoodieDined on 8/17/2014I picked based on reviews and it was perfect for our weekend in NYCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sommelier, all else just okNnrcVIPDined on 8/16/2014The waiter was not very good. For the specials of the evening, he did not tell us how they were prepped and didn't know when asked. The sommelier was fantastic, however. The homemade cavatelli special was fantastic. The saltimbocca was dry. All in all, we would not go back...
- Not worth the HypeIJustlovetoeatDined on 8/16/2014Though the place is friendly and service was I don't think Luna stacks up.The portions were so small I felt like I was in a French restaurant. We had a table of 5. and each ordered a pasta( witch the waiter made sound like it was massive) and split 2 meat dishes.You had to keep asking for more bread in the hope of filling up.We left the restaurant and grabbed a slice of pizza on the way out at a local place nearby. Not a repeat for me.
- LOVE LupasuzfoodieDined on 8/15/2014I've been to Lupa several times now and am never disappointed. The food is amazing and the atmosphere is so warm and comfortable. Our waiter was incredibly friendly and helpful. He gave us great suggestions. I wish I could remember his name, but he was wonderful! I will keep coming to Lupa when I'm in town!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lupa delivers yet again!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014I had already dined at Lupa in 2009 for the first time and was ultimately blown away by the food - I mean... Mario Battali has it down to a science. Our evening was very pleasurable! Our server Joel was incredibly knowledgeable, genuine and friendly. Would definitely dine again next time visiting New York City!Special Features:
- Food Very Good - Service RushedCynthiaKDined on 8/14/2014Second visit to Lupa since May. Started with marinated olives, spinach & warm pancetta salad, insalata di baccala (salted cod) and marinated sardines. Had glasses of white Lacryma Christi with our appetizers. Enjoyed very good main dishes of spaghetti con pomodoro, polla all diavola and coda all vaccinara (braised oxtail). Although we had told the waitress we were not in a hurry, our appetizers came quite soon after the order was placed. We were still drinking our white wine when the main courses were placed on our table so instead of ordering a bottle of red wine to enjoy before and during our dinner, we ordered glasses of red Lacryma Christi. Two of us had desserts of sorbet and biscotti. Total bill including tax & tip was $340.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San81Dined on 8/14/2014We went for lunch during the restaurant week. The food was good- made from fresh top quality ingredients but nothing spectacular. The desert on the other hand was amazing! The hazelnut tartufo was rich, delicious without being overly sweet. The wine list is extensive and the servers are very attentive. Overall we had a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.