170 Thompson Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.luparestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2129825089
- Hours of Operation:
Sundays - Thursdays: 11:30am-11pm;
Fridays & Saturdays: 11:30am-12midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Cruz Goler
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Join us for Easter on Sunday, March 31st! We are offering a 4-course menu prepared in the traditional Roman style! Reservations now available by phone only: (212) 982-5089
- Cross Street: Between Houston and Bleecker Streets
- Public Transit: B,D,F,V or A,C,E to West 4th St.
6 to Bleecker St.
1 to Houston St.
R or W to Prince St.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available at a public garage at 223 Thompson Street, between Bleecker and West 3rd Streets.
A word from Lupa
A Greenwich Village favorite, this collaboration between partners Mario Batali, Joseph Bastianich, and Mark Ladner specializes in high quality, moderately priced Roman fare with a New York edge. Lupa is a fun, boisterous and unpretentious trattoria with a warm and welcoming atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lupa reviews from OpenTable diners
398 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (258)neighborhood gem (215)notable wine list (169)romantic (150)special occasion (148)hot spot (97)great for lunch (76)good for groups (41)vibrant bar scene (39)late-night find (28)great for brunch (19)great for outdoor dining (16)kid-friendly (13)scenic view (6)Show More
- friendly welcome and serviceMarthaVIPDined on 9/30/2014Exceptionally friendly welcome and service for busy NYC restaurant. Antipasti and pastas were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food lacking in distinctionMoodyfoodyDined on 9/30/2014I have always loved Lupa, and have dined here each time I visited NYC. This latest meal was a huge disappointment. We ordered the pasta tasting menu. The first course and the ravioli course were excellent. However, Three courses contained pork belly, rendering them too similar, greasy and without complexity. I even requested lemon to add brightness to one dish. There was not a hint of green - no basil or parsley - nothing fresh tasting. Even the amatriciana, which was the only dish with any visible color, lacked a single morsel of tomato. Luckily the wines were excellent, providing some acidity to an otherwise bland, greasy and altogether disappointing lunch. Our server was delightful.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/29/2014No complaints at all about the food. Had the charcuterie board as an appetizer and that was excellent. Split 3 pastas with my friend, sweet corn capellaci, carbonara and bucatini and all were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealwithoutfeathersVIPDined on 9/29/2014Went for the tasting menu, with the cellar wine pairing. Excellent pastas, lot's of impressive wine filled with Barolo, sparkling wine, natural wine, two dessert wines, etc. Great attentive service by the entire staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/28/2014Waiter came over to our table roughly 7-10 minutes of us being seated to take our drink orders. We didn't see him once there after, except for drinking at the bar which I can only assume was beer. Eventually after I had finished my first drink, I walked it to the bar myself to have it refilled. Manager, or host took out dinner orders, and eventually I did not see the waiter anymore. The food was decent, a little bland and lacking sides, though that could be how we ordered. I wouldn't reccommend this place. Oh, and 4 shots of whiskey was apparently $54.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/28/2014Lupa is our go-to place when in NYC. ate there twice this week. YUMSpecial Features:
- Not what it use to be.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/26/2014I'm a big fan of Chef Mario, and visit Eatly often. Lupa was pretty bad, I ordered a lamb dish with a cold broccoli rabe pesto. I didn't enjoy. I was assured that the lamb would be cooked med-rare that actually the chef recommended it. Well you would expect that it would be cooked perfectly. The side order of carrots were also cold, and over cooked and seem old. When we ask the server if Brussels sprouts were available. We we're asked if they were in season. Here's the rub, I'm already not happy, instead of giving me a lesson on what's in season. At this time I informed the server that I was a chef of 12 years and my wife has 15 years of experience in the industry. We were given a free dessert a nice gesture but not happy with Lupa
- I love itLinaDined on 9/26/2014As usual the food was amazing! I try to go there every time that a go to NY, everything was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatwandsVIPDined on 9/25/2014Been coming to Lupa since it opened and it remains consistently great. Friendly efficient service and an energetic room (back room is quieter). One warning: if you order the pasta tasting menu (whole table must order) be prepared. It's A LOT of food - 5 different pastas, 3 oz portions each, so best to forgo the appetizers.Special Features:
- EtiquetteDined on 9/25/2014This place never disappoints. The food and our bartender was amazing as always.Special Features:
- A bit disappointedpeachesDined on 9/24/2014Although I've always found Lupa to be a great dining experience, this time I found the food either way too salty or too spicy without having been advertised as such. I will go back and try it again, because it's always been great in the past, but I was a bit disappointed this visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow.bmorefoodieVIPDined on 9/22/2014This was my first experience at Lupa and WOW. First, the restaurant is obviously very popular as it was completely full on a Monday night. The staff was very friendly and efficient. The food tho, was the star. I had the sweet corn capellacci and the spaghetti carbonara. Both were fantastic, but the capellacci was especially amazing. It was like a warm hug in each bite. My dining partner had the corn and pesto which was fresh and delicious, and the gnocchi with fennel and sausage - the gnocchi were perfect little pillows of heaven. We enjoyed our meal immensely and will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great restaurantgirls3Dined on 9/22/2014This was recommended to me by a friend and lived up to expectations. The wait staff and bar staff are great. The food was delicious and well presented. The waitress went out of her way to make sure that we made good choices. Would definitely return to this restaurant and recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mario does it again!!NYCeaterVIPDined on 9/21/2014Had a stupendous meal here over the weekend! Everything was fantastic from the appetizers to the tartufo!! The pastas were made in-house and the wine-by-carafe was perfect for course pairings. You will not be disappointed! The music was a bit loud in the front room/bar area but maybe the room in the back is a bit quieter? We'll be back again! Grazie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's Tradition . . .boyslovefood227VIPDined on 9/21/2014My boyfriend and I have dined at Lupa so many times we've lost count. Mainly because everytime we go it just keeps getting better. Tasting menu never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely OutstandingFoodie61VIPDined on 9/20/2014I may have found my new favorite restaurant. The food, service, presentation and ambiance were top notch. My friend and I who are both foodies and have been to many "trendy" restaurants were extremely impressed with the entire experience. I highly recommend Lupa, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014Just perfect pasta ,a great wine list,. We were early for our reservation and were accommodated without being told to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing servicepdolginDined on 9/20/2014Our waiter was more than amazing. He was not only incredibly friendly but made suggestions on food and wine for items we would never have tried and truly enjoyed. The food was gourmet Italian, the lamb chips we done perfectly. The sauces were anything but traditional but elegant and delicious. This was the first time a note I put into one table that an action was taken on by the restaurant. It was our wedding anniversary.Special Features:
- Romantic but noisy!!!HoooletDined on 9/17/2014I was expecting a bit more of this, but since this was our first restaurant stop in NYC after beeing awake 24 hours straight might that have negative impact on my experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AAB6VIPDined on 9/17/2014Great service but food is not what it was before , this is my 5 th or 6 th time in this restaurant and sorely disappointed
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Every time we come to New York we go to Lupa and it never fails to deliver, outstanding food with immpecable staff and a wine list to die for and sommeliers to guide you through it. Lupa is a joy and we recommend it to all our friends, it is almost enough to make me move to New York!Special Features:
- As always deliciousSuitgirl1953Dined on 9/15/2014As always excellent food, super service, knowledgeable wine sommelier, just can't figure out how not to have to sit in the back room. Not nearly as fun as street side. Service makes up for table disappointmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot and coldOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/13/2014I had been looking forward to dining here for a while, but my experience was pretty lack luster. Ambiance is buzzy - could be romantic, but the tables are quite close together which detracts from the romance. Service was spotty - waiter was pleasant and knew a lot about the menu, but he seemed to forget about us from time to time....luckily we weren't in a rush. We ordered the gnocchi off the menu and a pork dish that was one of the specials. Gnocchi was just ok...pasta was fine - light and fluffy like they should be, but the sauce was bland and boring. The flavours of the pork dish were great, but the meat was dry and a bit tough. All in all, it was a fine experience, but I wouldn't rush back to dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comida maravilhosa!PaulinhaDined on 9/13/2014Comida maravilhosa! Ambiente ótimo! Atendimento excelente!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1ChanceDined on 9/12/2014The food at Lupa is very good however our experience was that the our waitress and Lupa's General Manager need to be more gracious and accomodating to dinning guests.Special Features:
- EllenSEllenSDined on 9/12/2014As always love Lupa. Always accommodating, always great food and service with great wines. Went for dinner with friends and they loved it as well...Special Features:
- Always above the restMarlenedcVIPDined on 9/12/2014The service is impeccable as always. Our waitperson, Charlie was terrific. The red snapper was beyond delicious. My beet appetizer was not up to the usual but they whisked it away and offered a replacement. The carbonara is always a great choice too. We got one for the table to share and it was perfect, a couple of bites really did it. The desserts are always beyond delicious, a great way to end a meal. I love the Tartufo, not like most Italian restaurants, much better. I will come on a Tuesday for the duck next time since it was so amazing the last visit.Special Features:
- Still solid after all these yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/12/2014Had not been to Lupa in years and it did not disappoint. Food was still innovative yet classic Italian, prepared to perfection. The carcofi alla Giudia were crisp yet tender, the halibut over charred corn w cherry tomatoes was excellent. My dining companion did say her mozzarella in the capers was not the best yet raved about her homemade biscotti. I love that Lupa is not a scene while still maintaining it's own hipness. Eels like a perennial that hopefully always remains excellent. Can't wait to go back for a fall menu. If only the waiter was as fine-tuned as the good - he just did not seem so knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best Italian in NYCAdamp3p4VIPDined on 9/9/2014Amazing place even better food I moved to Florida 4 months ago use to come here 4 times a times I missed it so much. Brought 5 new work colleagues a;;; said best food of their lives !! it really is that goodSpecial Features:
- Crowded, Noisy, very RomanDrBobDined on 9/8/2014Most of the tables are small, the noise level is large, and the meal is terrific. I am a fan of Mario's cacio e pepe pasta, and it never fails me. The fried artichokes aren't found in many places and are teriffic. I never has as light a Tartuffo as they serve here. Be prepared to spend a lot for three courses and a decent bottle of wine, but if you can afford it, the dining experience can't be beat.Special Features:
- Always a pleasureBritinNYDined on 9/8/2014Every bite was delicious, particularly the carciofi -,fried baby artichokes, the veal sausage and the panacotta. We had a long, lingering lunch, without the waitress pressuring us to hurry up. It was a really lovely experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved ItOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/7/2014Great dinner in the Village - authentic menu and wine list - we all loved our entrees and the ambiance was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LupaakasDined on 9/7/2014Food was delicious, ambiance was great. Service could have been better. We were in a corner table and kept getting hit by waiters who were VERY attentive to the table next to us. We unfortunately did not receive the same service.Special Features:
- Stephen FStephenFVIPDined on 9/6/2014Never have a bad meal here. True rustic Italian cuisine. Simple but special; and everything is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisapointsFoodfanaticDined on 9/5/2014Lupa always delivers. The service is great and the staff really helps when choosing courses. We always leave satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pasta!LorieDDined on 9/5/2014Service was so so. Our first waitress was amazing and provided great recommendations but 1/2 way through service we were given a different waiter. He seemed distracted and detached.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was out standing.Love2eatDined on 9/5/2014The pasta was cooked aldente! To perfection , the staff was very friendly & attentive. The wine list is amazing. We were very pleased. Seating is a little tight in the front room. I'm not sure if the back room is a little roomier. All & all it was a very easant experience we would definitely dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/4/2014This was my third visit to Lupa and my least favorite of the three. The good was still spectacular except the bucatini which was not spicy at all. The service has decreased in quality. The waiter refused to bring us olives until we placed our full order. Once we placed our full order, the waiter cautioned "Are you sure that's all you want? That's not very much food." Tacky and inaccurate. We were quite full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected more...SaltimboccaDined on 9/2/2014All entrees that we ordered were delicious but some of the portions were just too small (especially Market Fish with Sweet Corn and Cherry Tomatoes). The crispy duck entree was amazing but in my opinion lacked some accompaniment (I guess I was supposed to order 'Contorni' additionally but did not know the duck would actually arrive ungarnished). The service was somewhat 'brisk', I had to hold on to my plate to keep it from being taken away from me before I could even say something! Overall, I had a feeling that we were rushed to finish our meal and leave. I would definitely prefer a more relaxed ambience...Special Features:
- Amazing dinnerLaurabDined on 9/1/2014Great selection, great wine list, great presentation.Special Features: