The Montville Inn
167 Route 202
Montville, NJ 07045Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Montville Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lunellosmontvilleinn.com/
- Phone: 9735411234x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm,
Dinner: Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm,
Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Medeiros
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have party trays and house-made desserts available for pick-up. Please visit lunellosmontvilleinn.com/events to view our catering menus.
- Private Party Facilities: The Montville Inn has a downstairs private Wine Cellar that holds up to 20 people. Our upstairs Tuscan Room seats up to 65 guests. On Saturday and Sunday afternoons our main dining level is available for private events for up to 90 people, with a brunch buffet on Sundays.
For more information, please email Jennifer@LuNellosInn.com.
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer Cecere 973-541-1234x
- Special Events: The Montville Inn hosts a Wine Tasting on the last Tuesday of every month. Those who are interested in attending or receiving more information on our Wine Tastings may sign up here: http://www.lunellosmontvilleinn.com/dining/wine-lovers-club.
A word from The Montville Inn
The Montville Inn takes great pride in serving the freshest fish, meats and local produce available. We also have an extensive wine, beer, and spirit list for everyone to enjoy. All of our food is made to order so please relax and let our professionally trained staff cater to each and every one of your needs. Our goal is to make each individual as satisfied as possible so please feel free to ask for any special requests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Montville Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (33)neighborhood gem (28)good for groups (26)special occasion (23)fit for foodies (22)great for lunch (17)great for brunch (16)romantic (13)vibrant bar scene (9)notable wine list (8)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (4)hot spot (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Beware of the new ownershipOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014The Montville Inn used to be run by the Lunello's restaurant but no longer. The service and food quality have severely degraded since the ownership change. Beware of the new ownership. No longer the same atmosphere, either. The dining area was too bright.
- Great placeMDanteVIPDined on 8/30/2014I love to get away from NYC & Hoboken (where I live and work) now and again and this place is a favorite. It's in a big, beautiful Victorian style home with a porch you can eat on in good weather. The veal dishes are great and if you're a fan of gnocchi, it's some of the best I've had in my life and I'm Italian and eat it often.Special Features:
- great lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Had a great lunch and booked a private party in Tuscan room for December. General dining area looked great however I did notice that the Tuscan room needs a little facelift! Looking forward to my shower regardless!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to be...skylerDined on 8/24/2014We have eaten here several times and always have enjoyed our meals. The last 2 trips have been very disappointing. We ordered the papardelle with crab meat and it was just awful. Sun tea cocktail was way too sweet. We should have sent the meal and drink back but it wasn't worth the hassle as the waiter never returned to ask about our meal. In the past, we could count on a great meal here but the food has gone way downhill. We will never return.
- Great Brunch!NJDerekDined on 8/24/2014Took my mom here for Sunday brunch last week and it was excellent. Great variety of fresh foods along with omlettes and waffles made to order. Be sure and try their home made strawberry jam on the ham, cheese and scallion scones.Special Features:
- NeilVIPDined on 8/9/2014This was a perfectly average restaurant. We expected more.
- OutstandingKbs40Dined on 8/2/2014Food was unbelievably good! Drinks were excellent. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual guests...high end foodphibblesDined on 8/2/2014The food at Montville Inn is just wonderful. A rare meal without anything to complain about. The food, decor, and valet parking make the place feel fancier than it really is. Heck, the guests at the table next to us looked like they had just come from the gym. So don't worry about what your wearing and go and enjoy a wonderful meal.Special Features:
- MontvileMikeGDined on 7/30/2014Good food, nice wine list and service was friendly and pleasant. Dining outside was a bit noisy due to the street traffic,Special Features:
- Enjoyable & deliciousCandCDined on 7/20/2014We are relocationg to NJ from MD and thought we would try the Montville Inn. It offers beautiful ambience. The service was excellent. While it was a bruch the staff was attentive. The omlet chef was pleasant. The brunch selections were abundant and would suit various palets. There were various salads with unique tastes. The desserts were delicious. If you want a cocktail just make sure you visit closer to noon. We would recommend and will definately re-visit!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choicesAshsantanDined on 7/18/2014At first nothing popped out as I've had menu items elsewhere, we ordered the sausage and long hot appetizer. Wow! It was delicious - highly reccomend. I decided to have the roasted chicken and my boyfriend ordered the skirt steak. Everything was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!TheSeidelsDined on 7/11/2014My fiance and I celebrated our 5 year anniversary with a nice dinner out to the Montville Inn. We've always wanted to go since we pass it frequently on our way home. The food was fantastic and they had a great drink menu to accompany our dishes. We enjoyed sitting outside and sipping on our Strawberry Sangrias. Definitely recommend the Montville Inn to someone who is looking for a nice ambiance and great food!Special Features:
- Simply great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/6/2014If you are in the area and like good food and drinks, this is the place. Calamari 2 ways is unreal and the entrees are great. I had the balsamic chicken and was unable to finish because it was so big. Great wine list, a little over priced but a great selection. brunch on sundays is fabulous. Get over here if your in the area.Special Features:
- DeliciousLernerwnDined on 7/3/2014Service started slow and waitress seemed curt. Once we ordered, food was delivered quickly and was very good. Great place with variety.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 50th anniversary dinner w/familyMoBillandallDined on 6/29/2014Good seating for 6 adults indoors at a round table. Grouper was over cooked and tough. All other entrees were great. Service was excellent by wait staff and busboys. Could have a larger wine list - variety. Sunday evening parking was easy. Easy to reach off I-287 and Rte 202.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girl's night outOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2014Great restaurant, can't wait to return. Loved the outside diningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Upscale TavernOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2014Beautiful place, inside and outdoor seating. Always enjoy coming here.Special Features:
- This could be an incredible place50niftyDined on 6/21/2014The food was good but not great, the restaurant was very noisy which made it tough to have a conversation without shouting left us with a negative feeling about the place. Instead of 'energetic' we'd describe it as hectic and at times a bit chaotic. The Caesar salad was excellent, the beet salad had three thin slices of beets and far too much greens, couldn't find the other ingredients as stated in the menu; veal parm was good, short ribs a bit dry and the connoli filling had little flavor.Special Features:
- wrong entreePjmooreVIPDined on 6/19/2014WE HAD A DRINK AT THE BAR AND THEY HAD NICE LITTLE PICKINGS- OLIVES, CHEESE,ETC. AFTER BEING SEATED OUTSIDE ON THE PORCH OUR WAITER CAME TO TELL US OF THE NITES SPECIALS. WE ORDERED APPS - CALAMARI AND SAUSAGE WITH HOT PEPPERS - WHICH VERY LARGE AND YUMMY ! NEXT WE SPLIT A SALAD - VERY GOOD TOO. IT WAS EARLY SO THE NOISE LEVEL ON THE PORCH WAS QUITE LOUD WITH THE PASSING TRAFFIC. IT WAS A BEAUTIFUL NITE. WHEN OUR ENTREES CAME - I GOT THE WRONG DISH ! WE WERE ALREADY FULL AND THE WAITER WAS SO NICE THAT I PUSHED IT AROUND ALITLLE AND ASKED TO TAKE IT HOME. USUALLY I WOULD HAVE COMPLAINED BUT EVERYTHING ELSE WAS JUST PERFECT. WE WILL BE BACK AGAIN !Special Features:
- Good for groupsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014We went to the Montville Inn for an 84th birthday celebration. There were 14 of us. Service was great and the food was delicious. I'd recommend this restaurant for any special occasion. I definitely want to try it for Sunday brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good!benton1220VIPDined on 6/15/2014Had dinner here on Father's Day. Very good service, good menu options. I am a vegetarian, I had the gnocchi which was excellent. My DH and son enjoyed their protein mains. We all had salads and desserts which were excellent. Very pleasant meal in a nice setting.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemNapa1Dined on 6/13/2014What a great discription. It's a great go to restarant Have been going since first opened. Glad it's not lunellos anymore. Great staff ,food ,manager junior and Jen. Always friendly and accommodating. They will always make it right don't be afraid to ask. Glad to have you in town.Special Features:
- Some good some not so good!MarciaDined on 6/7/2014Sat on patio which was a pleasant surprise to be available though not crowded at all (attribute that to a summer evening). It turned out to be rather noisy as cars came up the hill on 202. The service from a waiter/busboy standpoint was excellent but they must have been sleeping in the kitchen considering it was not busy. No bread, etc. was brought to the table and it took forever for our appetizers to come out and then dinner too. Calamari Saltiti big disappointment (sauce delicious but calamari not cooked enough; they did take it off the bill). I had Sea Bass-generous portion but not that flavorful. Short Ribs and 2 other chicken dishes very good. All in all, it was a good meal but not sure I would rush back immediately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice place for lunchScottyKamVIPDined on 6/5/2014It's right off the highway and the food is always good. The brioche buns they use for the sandwiches and burgers are not good...too dense...they need to change it. I've been there a few times...chicken is great, fish is great, pasta is great. Definitely worth checking out.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2014We went to the Montville Inn to celebrate my sons birthday. We ate a wonderful dinner outside on the Porch. The food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disastrous ServiceRayboDined on 6/1/2014Went there for our anniversary dinner. Waiter leaves drink menu, takes drink order 10 mins later - disappears. Drinks are on the bar and it took another 7 minutes to get them. So we're seated 20 minutes before we get a drink. This is how the whole evening went. Waiter disappeared all night. We were never offered fresh pepper or grated cheese for a pasta dish. This from a restaurant that refers to green beans as "haricot verts". Had to go up to bar to get wines for our dinner (bartender comps them). Manager comes, comps us a dessert and 2 glasses of champagne. Can't find waiter to get check. Check comes, I'm charged for champagne we did not order. Can't find waiter, manager, bartender. Tired of complaining. Pay check and leave.
- disappointingTheCupandErappDined on 6/1/2014waiter was very inattentive and we felt ignored despite few people in the restaurant my chicken was overcooked and the presentation of the dish was very unappealing those who are the fish dishes were more satisfied
- Terrible serviceJackie8Dined on 6/1/2014This was a special occasion and a large group. The waitress was terrible with attitude and poor service. Brought us the wrong food, mixed drinks without all ingredients and had an attitude when asked to return the drink. Steak was raw and full of fat, not medium rare, returned it and got it back way over done. Wrong appetizers were brought and had to wait a long time for the correct ones. It was terribly noisy and because of our location on the porch we were out of sight out of mind. My guests were disappointed after I raved about what I thought would be a great overall place to celebrate our special occasion. So so disappointed
- Extremely pleased!!!RH1140Dined on 5/20/2014The Recommendation list doesn't tell the story... We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch! We intend to return for lunch, dinner, for outdoor dining, etc.. Great menu ideas we've not seen elsewhere, excellent execution. Very sorry we didn't find you sooner!!!Special Features:
- Perfect mealknowwhatIlikeDined on 5/18/2014Grouper cooked to perfection. Melted in my mouth. A meal that truly satisfied!Special Features:
- SandySandyDined on 5/17/2014Great food salmon special was delicious service a little slow and a bit loudSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long time between visits: Too LongAlfrescoDined on 5/17/2014Since moving out of the area, it's been about 6 months since our last visit. The food and service was excellent as usual. Soft Shell Crabs were amazing. The manager and the wait staff were gracious and accommodating as always. We will not let another 6 months go by before our next visit.Special Features:
- Love itPurefanDined on 5/13/2014I have been going to Montville Inn for the past 4 years. I love the food and the service. It's a great place for a family/ business or a romantic dinner for two. I like that the restaurant has two menus, one more classic/ tavern style and the other a more formal dinner menu. The food is fresh and delicious. The wine list is excellent. Would visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointment!cmonteVIPDined on 5/10/2014Server was very friendly but not attentive. Our simple requests for "No Lime or No onions" were ignored. We were never ask if we wanted drinks, only water. We finally got her attention and later had to ask a different server for refills. The food was....average at best. The Beef Carpaccio was presented with a HUGH pile of arugula which camouflaged the very small portion of beef. 3 of 4 entrees ordered were not very good. One cold, the other very salty, steak very tough. Burger Special was good, except the egg on top was overcooked.
- Great!JlewDined on 5/8/2014Everything was delicious and the service was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet but goodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/5/2014We came at lunch hour during the week and for most of our visit, we were the only customers. Service was fine except it did take a while to get our food. I understand the food is cooked to order, but two at our table had salads. Other than that, food was great and we had a lovely lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 228 reviews are from the The Montville Inn reviews archive.
- Nice findPlfc5Dined on 5/2/2014Met an old friend for dinner and had a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGmikepDined on 4/25/2014My first time dining here and we celebrated my b-day. Had drinks at the bar first. The bartenders were amazing. So sweet and helpful. Classy Staff as well as diners. We had a group of 8.. The staff did a great job. Food is Amazing..great selection for all kinds of tastes. The pasta was great and the steak melted in your month.. CANT WAIT TO GO BACKSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Montville Inn ReunionalliescootDined on 4/23/2014Had not been to Montville Inn since purchased. Given special menu right away.We ordered Sprout salad for 3 then server came back and asked how many ordered the sprout salad which was strange question. Said 3 and he said they were already out of it. At 6:30pm? I asked why did you ask how many people ordered it and I said then bring us how ever many orders of it you have left. Female server (don't remember her name) came back and said they were all out. In general, food was okay. Caesar Salad was bland and entree's were just OK. Waited long time and no one came back,finally asked for check. Server came back and I said I guess we're not having dessert. She asked didn't anyone come over and ask us if we wanted dessert,. I said no. That was it.
- Enjoy Sunday Brunch at LuNello's!luv2dinehereDined on 4/20/2014My husband and family have eaten here often as it is local and has lots of history. The food is very good and we especially enjoy their Sunday Brunch which always has a great selection of food choices. The quality and freshness of what is served is excellent and well presented although the area it is served in is slightly small and can get very crowded on Sunday. Their omelets and waffles are great! On a nice day try to sit on their beautiful porch and take time to go inside and enjoy looking at the old pictures on the wall which show the history of Montville and the O'Dowd dairy farm. My husband grew up in the Towaco area and still enjoys looking at those old pictures which bring back memories.Special Features: