402 South Main Street
Stillwater, MN 55082Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lunarossawinebar.com/
- Phone: (651) 430-0560
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Raffaele Virgillo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Luna Rossa offers 2 private rooms each accommodating up to 45 guests or combined up to 100 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Call Restaurant 6514300560
- Entertainment: Happy Hour Sunday throught Thursdays from 3-6PM. We featured reduced prices on drinks, bottled beers and selected appetizers. Live music most Friday and Saturdays. We also feature tours of the Joseph Wolf Brewary Caves, wines dinners and cooking classes. Other events vary, please call for schedule or to customize your event. We can also accommodate banquets, rehearsal dinners and corporate events.
A word from Luna Rossa
Luna Rossa is a family owned & operated steakhouse with Italian specialties, seafood, gourmet pizza and homemade Italian Gelato. We also feature tours of the Joseph Wolf Brewary Caves. Open daily for lunch & dinner, Luna Rossa also offers a full bar with many wonderful wines & a great martini list. Luna Rossa is located in historic downtown Stillwater, situated in the old caves & is a wonderful place to gather with your group of family & friends, or for & intimate dinner for 2. Luna Rossa offers four different dining spaces, with a warm earthy, Tuscan atmosphere with a banquet facility also available for groups up to 100 people. Live music is featured most Fridays and Saturdays.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Luna Rossa - Best Restaurants in Stillwater ›
Luna Rossa reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (17)romantic (15)notable wine list (13)neighborhood gem (9)scenic view (7)good for groups (7)fit for foodies (4)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (3)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Food and wine was very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/16/2008Food and wine was very good. A wood burning fireplace added a romantic warmth to the fall evening. Street parking, but it encourages diners to walk Main Street in Stillwater and check out the shops along the way.Special Features:
- Meal was excellent. Went forOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2008Meal was excellent. Went for an early anniversary dinner. Really like the style of the restaurant and the menu selection.The online reservation worked great. Went to the table as soon as we arrived. I would use the service again. Thank You.Special Features:
- It had been a long time sinceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/25/2008It had been a long time since I visited this restaurant prior to the remodel and new ownership. I found the ambiance to be very inviting and intimate at the same time. Our service was wonderful and friendly. The food was well prepared and delicious when served. All in all, I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a new dining experience.Special Features:
- Overall, we had a good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2008Overall, we had a good experience here for dinner. It wasn't overcrowded and the wait staff was attentive and made good suggestions for food and wine. The food wasn't the best I've ever had but it was a nice place. We might consider going back, but I'm not still 100% sure that the experience was worth the cost. I'm glad that this visit was being reimbursed by work, that's all I'll say about the pricing.Special Features:
- Recommend this place, foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/10/2008Recommend this place, food is fabulous. The service has at times been less than top notch.
- Stillwater is great! FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/5/2008Stillwater is great! Food here was very good, but the restaurant was listed as Romantic on OpenTable, it is far from that. Nothing special with regards to atmosphere. Waitress was very attentive till the end of our meal, than around 9:30 or 10 pm we felt like she was in a rush to chase us out so she could leave for the night. Brought check and said thanks without offering coffee, dessert, or after dinner drink. Seemed very odd for a Friday night. Oh well, perhaps it was just our server, we definately enjoyed our meal and the Banana Fosters martini was phenominal!
- The whole experience was excellentKarenMDined on 9/5/2008The whole experience was excellent -- try the mushrooms app!!Special Features:
- I can't tell you how dissappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2008I can't tell you how dissappointed I was my experience at Luna Rossa. From the moment I walked into the restaurant, where there was napkins flying around outside and where no server even said "hi" to me when the walked by. The servers all looked like they were annoyed to be there and that we were a nusance to be there. Then, there was the food. Probably, the worst Italian food I have ever had. The food as TASTELESS!!! We ordered pressecco and it was warm.
- I heard about this place becauseOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/22/2008I heard about this place because of the "cave" it is located in. A small portion seemed to be in a cave, which was really cool. I took my boyfriend on a date there, and it was just OK. The service really felt "small town"... we drove from the Minneapolis just to eat there... and we had to wait for about 10 minutes for our server to arrive. Our server wasnt very attentive. The food was OK... but I think it is overpriced a little bit. The atmosphere was the best part by far. I don't think I would go back though... for me, its a good place just to try and go once.Special Features:
- We arrived with my 90 yearOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/22/2008We arrived with my 90 year old father in law, and were taken to the back of the cave up some steps. My father in law could barely make the steps, while the hostess looked on impatiently while he struggled, never suggesting a table in the front. There were cob webs all over the rocks and fountain. The food was on par with a TGI Fridays. I now know why the place was practically empty on a Saturday at 7:30. No valet, or even handicap parking as far as we could see. The veal was tough, the side dish of overcooked penne in tomato sauce was all wrong with a veal dish. We invisioned an angel hair pasta with butter and herbs, or even alfredo, but a cheap over salted tomato sauce was horrible. Not a good night.
- I wasn't impressed. The menuOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/28/2008I wasn't impressed. The menu had probably, 5 items on it and none of them were all that appealing. The food was decent, but for what they charge it was a rip off! I say you're better off going to the Olive Garden.Special Features:
- Food was excellent in presentation,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/19/2008Food was excellent in presentation, taste, and character. Best Chianti ever. Service was good but not fantastic with some delays at various points especially getting started with drinks and ordering.Special Features:
- We had a nice experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/18/2008We had a nice experience. The live music was a little odd and we wish that it couldve been turned down just a little bit, but it was nice. Our server was very attentive (Colin) and friendly and went out of his way to make sure we felt comfortable. He deserves some props! Please let him know that we were happy with his service and friendliness. The food was out quick and the Gelato was amazing. The only thing we would recommend is more kick to the Fettucini Alfredo. But, we like our food spicy. Thanks again for an overall enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- We had a great server. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2008We had a great server. The food was very good. It was a very unique experience. Very good overall!Special Features:
- We had a great time at LunaOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/12/2008We had a great time at Luna Rossa. Our waitress was great! She was very personable, friendly and took good care of us. The food was very good - taste and presentation! It was definitely a place that we would recommend to friends and plan to return to.Special Features:
- Luna Rossa is an excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/11/2008Luna Rossa is an excellent restaurant. This is the second time my fiance and I have been there, and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves both times. The food is excellent, and the restaurant is extremely romantic. I love sitting in the back by the caves. The only bad thing about our second visit was the waitress was slow and not friendly. It won't stop us from going back though!Special Features:
- The service was good and theOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/28/2008The service was good and the food was good. The food could have been better for the prices. I would go back again.Special Features:
- It was our anniversary andMarieDined on 6/21/2008It was our anniversary and the staff made it a point to say Happy Anniversary. We were located in the cave room which I had requested. It was beautiful and romantic. While the rest of the staff was amazing and attentive, I felt our server could have been better. All in all the food was amazing, the ambiance beautiful and we had a great time! Thank youSpecial Features:
- Very ordinary, restrictedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/19/2008Very ordinary, restricted wine list for a "wine bar"; food plentiful, but too expensive for what it was, which was good, honest, rather unimaginative southern Italian. All the usual Italian-Dinner-at-the-Mall fare. Not recommended.
- This was our first visit toOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/14/2008This was our first visit to Luna Rossa, where we shared a romantic dinner to celebrate our engagement. By the time we finished our delicious and beautifully presented dinner and a wonderful bottle of wine and outstanding service and hospitality we knew Luna Rossa is the perfect little gem we were looking for to share with our family and friends on our wedding day. We can't wait!!!Special Features:
- We had two pasta entrees whichDisappointedDined on 6/14/2008We had two pasta entrees which were very average. I expect an Italian restaurant to have great pasta dishes. The appetizer; caprese, and salads were good. The server was attentive early and then got occupied with a larger group.
- We had a pleasant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/14/2008We had a pleasant experience and will likely go back in the future.
- Very accommodating....as someOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/10/2008Very accommodating....as some of us were late because of miscue of time picking up... We are allowed to sit and to visit without being hurried.... Very good food!!! Easy parking on weekdays.Special Features:
- I wouldn't run back. My husbandZulaberry52VIPDined on 6/7/2008I wouldn't run back. My husband and I shared the Spaghetti del Pescatore. It was light, good portions of calamari and small scallops. Their marinara sauce is excellent. They could upgrade the bread at the beginning of the meal and expand their wine by glass selection. Also the restaurant lacks warmth. Service was mediocre.
- The food was bland and almostOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/2/2008The food was bland and almost lifeless. The sauces seemed to have come from a can. The steak that was ordered med-rare came out well done and was over salted to the point of being unpalatable. Even the drink orders were made poorly. We ate the entire main course before our server returned to check on us. When we asked for more bread it took several minutes to get any; we werre the only group in the resturant at the time. The desert choices were unimaginative, and lacked any real personality. All around it was a fairly upscale price for just above fast food quality. We will not be back.
- My boyfriend and don't getOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/31/2008My boyfriend and don't get alot of alone time between work and busy life. But we decided we wanted to try your restaurant out on Saturday 5/31/08 when the hail storm and we were nothing but please with your resaturant. My boyfriend wanted to leave due to our nice truck out in the weather but I said No because this was our new "spot" to make a fun romantic night out! We are so glad we stayed the food was great, our waitress was wonderful I couldn't ask for a better night out! We'll be back! Thanks again Marissa and Aaron And Aaron on the way out spoke with a gentlemen at the bar either owners or Mgr and told him how great it was we love your restaurant! Thank You!!Special Features:
- Excellent food,excellent service,reOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/27/2008Excellent food,excellent service,reasonable prices.Special Features:
- This restaurant was terrible.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/25/2008This restaurant was terrible. Over priced for frozen pre-prepared food that was just heated up with sauce. Olive Garden has better Italian.
- Food was a little lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/20/2008Food was a little lacking in flavor/seasoning; otherwise, it was quite good. Servers were not as polished as I would have expected, but they were more than competent. Ambiance was quite nice.Special Features:
- My husband and I celebratedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/17/2008My husband and I celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary here and had a fantastic experience! The atmosphere was great and the food was outstanding! My husband had the filet mingon and it was by far the best steak he's ever had (even better than the best known steakhouses.) We enjoyed a bottle of wine and the live music too. We would defititely dine there again!Special Features:
- The food & wine were fine.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/17/2008The food & wine were fine. We were celebrating a 40th b'day,between 4 of us spent over $200 which included drinks, appetizers & dinner. We also leave 20-25% tips. I was not very happy when they came to us telling us we needed to wrap up because the next reservation for our table was there. This was 2 hrs after our reservation, when you look at time to view the menu, order appetizers & dinner then visiting & letting the food settle with maybe an after dinner drink or dessert it can take more than 2 hours. We were a bit taken back by the request. With full time jobs and a family we don't get a lot of opportunities to go out and enjoy ourselves. We didn't appreciate being asked to leave. For that reason alone I don't forsee us returning.
- The only issue I had was IOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2008The only issue I had was I ordered a single chees pizza with sausage and mushrooms added. The chef made a four cheese pizza which was a little rich for me. The starters were very tasty and I enjoyed the experience. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Everything was exceptional.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/3/2008Everything was exceptional. Great food, service, atmosphere and all around experiance.Special Features:
- The Luna Rossa was a wonderfulSMarnerDined on 4/25/2008The Luna Rossa was a wonderful dining experience. I had the rack of lamb, which was best I have ever tasted. My wife had the stuff mushrooms and the tortelini, which was excellent. My friends had the filet, which they raved about. It is expensive, but worth it for special occasions.Special Features:
- Good food and nice staff,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/19/2008Good food and nice staff, not as romantic as I was expecting but would go again.Special Features:
- The food was excellent andLPatzDined on 4/19/2008The food was excellent and the service was prompt and friendly. Overall, it was an enjoyable experience and we will be sure to return.Special Features:
- The food was ok..we had aOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/13/2008The food was ok..we had a reservation at 7pm on a Sunday so the waitress seemed more eager to get rid of us then serve us. My wifes pasta was slightly burnt and I had a seafood dish that was at best average. For the price you would expect more. Not terrible...just kind of floating in the average category. The setting is wonderful and quite romantic. Maybe we caught them on a bad night but I wouldnt go back.Special Features:
- I listed noise at moderateOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/4/2008I listed noise at moderate simply because there were two groups in the dining room we were in and they were a bit loud. Normally, I would think the restaurant would fall into the "quiet/romantic" category.Special Features:
- I was told by someone thatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2008I was told by someone that their food wasn't the best, but my girlfriend and I both had pasta and it was excellent. I was very glad we went there.Special Features:
- We enjoyed the setting - notOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/27/2008We enjoyed the setting - not too overdone, nice lighting & comfortable. We weren't noticed or greeted right away which was strange because it was not busy at all. One of the cooks finally noticed us and called a server to the reception table. The tables were set maybe a little too close for the floor space (front section) and the paper on the tablecloth was too big for the small table we were at. There was too much sauce on the pasta for my liking (I would rather not have a pool leftover on the bottom of the bowl/plate) but that could be me. The bread was very tasty, I enjoyed the caesar salad and the Italian vegetable soup and the house cab was very nice. Our waitress was attentive, had a pleasant personality and did a good job.Special Features: