402 South Main Street
Stillwater, MN 55082Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lunarossawinebar.com/
- Phone: 6514300560
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Raffaele Virgillo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Luna Rossa offers 2 private rooms each accommodating up to 45 guests or combined up to 100 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Call Restaurant 6514300560
- Entertainment: Happy Hour Sunday throught Thursdays from 3-6PM. We featured reduced prices on drinks, bottled beers and selected appetizers. Live music most Friday and Saturdays. We also feature tours of the Joseph Wolf Brewary Caves, wines dinners and cooking classes. Other events vary, please call for schedule or to customize your event. We can also accommodate banquets, rehearsal dinners and corporate events.
A word from Luna Rossa
Luna Rossa is a family owned & operated steakhouse with Italian specialties, seafood, gourmet pizza and homemade Italian Gelato. We also feature tours of the Joseph Wolf Brewary Caves. Open daily for lunch & dinner, Luna Rossa also offers a full bar with many wonderful wines & a great martini list. Luna Rossa is located in historic downtown Stillwater, situated in the old caves & is a wonderful place to gather with your group of family & friends, or for & intimate dinner for 2. Luna Rossa offers four different dining spaces, with a warm earthy, Tuscan atmosphere with a banquet facility also available for groups up to 100 people. Live music is featured most Fridays and Saturdays.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Luna Rossa - Best Restaurants in Stillwater ›
Luna Rossa reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (19)romantic (18)notable wine list (17)neighborhood gem (11)scenic view (8)great for outdoor dining (7)fit for foodies (6)good for groups (6)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- One of our faves!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We go to Luna Rosa every year on our anniversary! Love the lobster ravioli and ambiance.Special Features:
- Highly disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014My friends and I came here for dinner for a girls night. When paying $24 for pasta with seafood in it, I expect it to taste semi decent. The pasta tasted as though it had been reheated in a microwave, it was drowning in sauce, whereas my friend who had the same meal didn't have barely any sauce in hers. The clams couldn't be opened and after asking our server if their was a trick to opening them, he said they probably just won't open. The scallops were incredibly tiny. We ended up being there for 3hrs, not by choice. It took an hour for us to finally get a drink ordered and our meals ordered. And then another hour to get our food. We were incredibly excited about this restaurant, but were nothing but disappointed in all aspects.
- Great food, poor service (busy)StillwaterDined on 10/11/2014We (2) went for our anniversary dinner to Luna Rossa. The couple next to us got their food before their drinks and ours took quite some time too. The waiter complained about being too busy. I really enjoyed the atmosphere and food but that night we just got unlucky. We also noticed the table next to us with 4 (instead of 2) was getting extra service with breadsticks or something. To me, treat all your guests equally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boring restaurant-chain-like foodsuzdurkDined on 10/10/2014I had lunch at Luna Rossa recently. Not sure why the Caesar salad was called "knife and fork Caesar salad." I expected my plate to arrive with a tasty uncut head of Romain lettuce with thick shavings of Parmesan and whole anchovies. Instead, it looked and tasted just like any other Caesar salad you would be served at some big restaurant chain. Was the Caesar dressing homemade? Don't think so. It tasted like it came from a restaurant supply company. Cappuccinos we ordered were served in a small cup. The huge place was empty on a beautiful fall Friday afternoon so I can't figure out why the pace of our lunch service was so slow—we spent 1-1/2 hours there! I will not be recommending Luna Rossa to my friends.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Service was so bad we didnt even order meals and left
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014I'm sure you have heard before, but the food and drinks we're top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinning with solid service!HawksDiningOutDined on 10/3/2014My wife and I stopped in for a relaxing Friday night dinner. The lamb was fantastic and my wife really enjoyed the pecan crusted salmon! The staff did a great job of making it a relaxing romantic evening. Will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and servicejlea4Dined on 10/3/2014Had an amazing time! The food was awesome and our waiter was amazing! He recommended the best wine and dessert and I don't even like wine. Would recommend to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good EatsFineEatingDined on 10/2/2014Third time coming here, very good food and atmosphere. Great wait staff,friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice EveninggrandpasteveDined on 9/28/2014Our server was new but very accommodating. The food was excellent. I had the Gorgonzola (beef). It was prepared just right. Don't miss the cave tour. Great way to end the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waste of Time!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We had reservations and when we showed up they were still vacuuming and putting dishes away. We were to do the 12:30 tour and they said they didn't have a tour guide for that time but we could do the 2:00 one. They kept giving the excuse that they have been without a manager. We were seated for lunch and waited for 15 min without anyone coming to ask for our drink order or anything. We got up and walked to a restaurant down the street.
- Dinner was outstanding.craignkimDined on 9/26/2014My wife and I come to Luna Rossa for our anniversary and were very impressed. The staff were helpful and very friendly. The dinners we had were excellent. It was the best dinner that I have had while dining out in quite a while. We will definitely come back. This place was absolutely wonderful.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Service was good but a little on the slow side. Very friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok, not worth the driveanisoleDined on 9/20/2014We went here to try to get a tour, but they were full so call early. They lost our reservation from Open Table, but gave us a table anyhow. The service was really slow/spotty. The food was fine, but not worth the extra effort to drive this far and find parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oops not again.....LunaoopsDined on 9/14/2014I took my girlfriend for her birthday. I was dissapointed the vegetables and the main course were way to salty. Once you over season something you cannit go back it was a big let down! We also did the cave tour and it was interesting and very historical.
- Not safe for allergiesAbsoluteFoodieDined on 9/5/2014I really enjoyed my evening at Luna Rossa, but have to give an overall poor review to the restaurant for not taking my food allergy seriously. I know the type of customer who asks for GF pasta, but eats the bread; those people just make life difficult and I resent them as well! However, sometimes that skinny woman who INSISTS on diet soda is severely diabetic and sometimes the person who asks for GF has Celiac. My point: it is not the role of the server or kitchen staff to make the judgment. Eating gluten doesn't just make me feel bad, it is physically damaging to me. I received the opinion that Luna Rossa is above the GF bandwagon. It is one thing to say "sorry, our kitchen can't handle it", it's another to say that you're too good for it.Special Features:
- pretty average foodhungryhippoDined on 9/4/2014the service was very good. The waitress was attentive and informative. The manicotti was good but the steak was only fair. We liked the cave room with the stone walls. Wine was tasty. An ok place but nothing special.Special Features:
- Gone downhillWiscyStevoDined on 8/31/2014My wife and I have dined at Luna Rosa in the past and have been quite pleased. It had been several months since our last visit, so we gave it a go on August 31st. Prior to our visit, I looked at the reviews, which have been less than complimentary as of late. After eating there on Sunday, I agree. Hostess was terse and unwelcoming, the section we reserved through Open Table was closed (not sure why) and there was no music playing softly in the background as there was during our other visits. In the middle of our experience our waitress was changed out for a waiter, though the waitress remained on. There was no bartender, so mixed drinks were not an option. Generally a very tense feeling amongst the employees that were there.
- YikesTuckDoggDined on 8/30/2014First & last time. Thanks to Open Table my wife & I were seated immediately (which was nice). Hostess said she'd bring water & bread but we only received water. My wife's margarita had not 1, but 2 dead flies in it. Our waiter had tables all over the restaurant so he was spread way too thin. I had to chase him down to remind him of the bread. He was at least apologetic & comped us a scoop of Gelato. The bartender & cook/manager were arguing behind the bar about tills being shorted while a waitress went unnoticed waiting on a drink for her table... and unfortunately we were seated near the bar so we had to endure that whole mess. We couldn't wait to leave...
- Great food, quick service.LifelovegreenDined on 8/30/2014We had an early dinner so the ambiance was different than it would be later in the evening I'm sure (there were a few babies around and I normally would not expect that at a resturant like this.) The owners are italian and the wine list reflects this, the special was delsious and the quality and taste made it worth the mid range price ($24.00 for lobster ravioli special) Take the cave tour if you can.Special Features:
- cadersDined on 8/30/2014Worse service I've ever had! Do not go there! Restaurant was not busy and the waitress was rude, unwelcoming, didn't know specials, didn't check on us, didnt refill our drinks (even after we asked multiple times). BAD EXPIERENCE!Special Features:
- Cave/ Wine TourWinyDined on 8/9/2014We attended the cave/wine tour on 8/9/14. It surpassed our expectations and we were able to get into the 3pm slot due to a cancelation. The 5pm would of been too late for us. We would like to come back and have lunch/dinner here! We especially enjoyed the wine tasting at the end of the tour in the wine cellar. We were given several different wines to sample at that time, plus afew different wines to sample during the tour itslef. Best wine tour we've ever been on and we've been on a few!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014Great potential. Severely understaffed. Food was fine.Special Features:
- Worse Service EVER!HockeymomDined on 8/2/2014We had a group of six moms that were on girls weekend and wanted a nice relaxing dinner. It was not very busy and at the beginning it seemed like we were going to have a nice dinner. 1st issue - food came out before the soup and salads. 2nd issue - after ordering another round of beverages we had to ask the server 3 times to bring them out. 3rd issue - food was lukewarm at best. 4th issue - asked to speak with a manager and there was no manager at there on a Saturday night. 5th issue - server said for our troubles she spoke with the manager and we can have a free dessert (This is after we were told there was no manager on duty) 6th issue - the checks were all messed up and it took another 20 minutes to get them taken care of.
- Don't goPKexpressDined on 8/2/2014Under-cooked rack of lamb. Salads brought out 2 minutes before main courses. Alfredo sauce was as runny as water. Asked for a table; got a booth by the bar. Never was asked what beverages we wanted. We were given water which was it. It is obvious that this was a fine establishment once but has gone downhill due to lack of management. I wish I wasn't giving this negative feedback because this restaurant has so much potential.Special Features:
- nice location-food and service lackDaveVIPDined on 7/29/2014Food - The caprese salad had crunchy under-ripe tomatoes and a super-thin, watery balsamic vinegar. It was served on top of a meager handful of romaine lettuce. I ordered the cannelloni because it said it had braised meat in it. Instead, I was underwhelmed by what appeared to be a wet, shredded rump roast inside. The problem I had was that the filling was too wet; there was no texture to it. We also felt that the sausage in the penne had nothing to it and tasted like it had lots of filler in it. Service - Our server was a complete space cadet. She had a shadow server and never bothered to introduce her. Slow service. She also failed to give us the specials or offer us wine, yet the couple at the next table were offered both.
- lginmnDined on 7/26/2014Went to Stillwater as tourists from the Twin Cities. Picked out this restaurant as our lunch spot. Service was friendly but slow even though it wasn't busy, but eh, we were in "vacation" mode. Were seated out on the patio which was nice, but thanks to a sunny, warm day, there were lots of motorcycles going by (just something to think about). Drinks took a while to arrive, and our appetizer came after a salad that went with our entree. Ordered mussels for an appetizer which were "okay." Pasta dishes were pretty good. Liked the "pasta bar" idea where you can pick your own ingredients, but someone else prepares it for you.
- Terrible serviceBort42Dined on 7/14/2014Went there for our wedding anniversary. After seated, waited over 10 minutes with not another server. Only 5 other tables of people in there, so not like it was super busy. Left because it shouldn't take 15 minutes to get a glass of water. Waitstaff was terrible and seemed like we didn't even exist. Got up and left.
- Perfect Date NightSeanADined on 7/13/2014Came here with my girlfriend and we had an amazing time. We sat outside and enjoyed the beautiful weather and view of Stillwater. The food was fantastic and the portion size was just right, even a little more for the value. This is a great place if you want to bring a little romance to your relationship or just enjoy a solid Italian restaurant. Definitely worth the drive to Stillwater from the Cities.Special Features:
- Great LunchlrichterDined on 7/12/2014My first time in Stillwater. We enjoyed the restaurant and cave tour. Wine was wonderful and the food was very tasty. Service was awesome. Our waitress went out of her way to accommodate us. We added a person to the tour and she was very helpful in allowing us to pay early and just helped us to arrange it.Special Features:
- Good food, fair serviceSparkle13Dined on 7/11/2014The food was good but the service was lacking. We had a reservation but we're told we had to wait 20 minutes when we arrived because "there were more people than they expected". We ordered appetizers to come before our meal because it was after 8:30 by the time we for to order our food; our entres came out before our appetizers and before our soup and salad. The server then asked us if we still wanted the appetizers we ordered. Obviously we wanted them because we ordered them. She was also not a very attentive server. She only visited our table a couple times. Overall, we liked the place well enough, but would like to see better service and not have to wait if we make reservations. It defeats the purpose of having a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over-Priced Skimpy FoodRefinedpalateDined on 6/24/2014The service and ambiance was nice. The food was over-priced for the quality. The Mozzarella Caprese appetizer was missing basil, and the mozzarella was sort of fresh. My husband ordered the Calabrese pizza, described as "prosciutto, artichoke, olives and basil". It came with one black olive slice, one slice of prosciutto, and one piece of artichoke on each slice of pizza. I ordered the house salad with salmon, which was described on the menu as "mixed green topped with cucumbers, tomatoes and green bell pepper with your choise of dressing." There were a few pieces of "mixed greens" in amongst the mostly bib lettuce along with one slice of cucumber, one slice of tomato, and two slices of green pepper. We spent over $50! Not worth the money!Special Features:
- The following 485 reviews are from the Luna Rossa reviews archive.
- Not what I expected`OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014I had asked a couple friends for a good place to eat in Stillwater and two people had suggested Luna Rossa. We sat outside because it was beautiful--great location to people watch! We had ordered calamari and that was good. My mom had the Chicken Piccata--very dry! I had the Salmon special (pecan crusted, but in a deep layer of sauce--you could hardly taste the salmon). The pasta that came as a side was not restaurant quality, and the steamed vegetables weren't anything to rave about. It was quite expensive as well. Maybe it was just and 'off' day for Luna Rossa, but I am not sure I would go back to give it a second try.Special Features:
- very good pasta barNDHeelsDined on 6/14/2014Pasta bar had great choices. calamari was cooked just right. wine choices were very niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointingLakelandDined on 6/9/2014The beers were cold...but so was my food. My wife had a pizza, and I ordered shrimp scampi. Her pizza was hot and delish, and my shrimps were a little overcooked and cold, as were the cooked veggie side. I presume they started cooking our meals at the same time, which is unfortunate when ordering seafood. I guess for an entree priced over $20, I would expect it to be cooked properly and served hot. Not sure if I would consider another spendy meal here. Upside: our waitress was fantastic and the Peroni was ice cold and a great Italian beer and the desserts were outstanding! The outdoor ambiance was nice as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014Great Saturday night! Our waiter Stephan was wonderful. Wish we had saved room for dessert but stuffed ourselves on calamari.Special Features:
- A go to placeJflarsonVIPDined on 6/5/2014We love Luna Rosa. Always great service and priced right great food. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never going backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014I should have left when the bread was a day old and the diet coke wasn't mixed properly. The salad was overdressed and soupy. The food was mediocre at best. When we requested a dish spicy, it was completely bland. No heat at all. The Alfredo sauce was a heavy cheese dip instead of a balanced sauce. Extremely disappointing.
- This place phones it incherbearDined on 5/16/2014Lumpy dirty booths with low backs that didn't offer any privacy and wreaked like fabreze, dirty drop ceiling with panels lifted in some areas and sagging in other areas, bad tasting water, cheap Italian "style" bread, which was also used for the bruschetta appetizer. Bruschetta had no olive oil and barely a hint of basil. Skipped the entrée and left wishing we had that hour and our 25 dollars back.
- Ask for the Capri roomjustmeDined on 5/16/2014Personally, if you can't get into the Capri room, don't bother. Prices are high. Veggies were soggy like overcooked freeze dried food but it is fun to eat at the edge of a cave. Gelato was nice.Special Features: