Luna Rossa Ristorante
347 East 85th Street
New York, NY 10028Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Luna Rossa Ristorante
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lunarossanyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 517-3118x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday Through Saturday 5 PM - 11 PM
Sunday Brunch 12 Noon - 3 PM; Dinner 3 PM to 10 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Paul Floess
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact us for further details
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us for further details
- Private Party Contact: Paul Floess 2125173118x
- Special Events: Please contact us for further details
A word from Luna Rossa Ristorante
One can hardly walk by a new neighborhood restaurant without noticing it; especially a cozy Italian place on the Upper East side - LUNA ROSSA is a hit in the neighborhood. Developed by Paolo Floess, the long-time Chef,he work the past 17 Years on the Upper East Side its cuisine displays a special blend of contemporary and traditional dishes from all major twenty regions of Italy. It also offers a great selection of exquisite wines from north to south of Italy. LUNA ROSSA offers a very relaxing and mellow atmosphere, decorated with original works of art and delicate colors. It is definitely the place to dine with your family and friends or for a perfect romantic dinner.... LUNA ROSSA IS TRULY A MUST!!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Luna Rossa Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (36)romantic (14)fit for foodies (14)notable wine list (7)special occasion (4)good for groups (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great Neighborhood SpotDobbyDined on 9/8/2014Excellent Italian food, service and overall a fantastic experience. The half-moon ravioli are incredible. I just moved to the neighborhood and I will be a regular here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely little findDiningInCurlsVIPDined on 9/4/2014We had a great meal...delicious and creative food. People should head out of there own neighborhoods and check out this lovely little find.Special Features:
- Luna RossaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/31/2014It was a very good experience. Because it was a holiday weekend it was not crowded so the noise level was low which is a winner for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bob's reviewBobbyGDined on 8/30/2014Great neighborhood Italian restaurant. Food does not disappoint and service is above part.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet and goodDedicatedVIPDined on 8/30/2014Very good service and nice Italian food. For the neighborhood fair prices and low sound level. Recommended.Special Features:
- true italianHenryDined on 8/29/2014Fantastic food and service is 5-stars. Best neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2014Luna Rossa is a wonderful local UES gem. The food is delicious, the service is attentive, and they did not rush us from the table. My only fear in recommending is that it will become too popular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit or many more to comewmw322VIPDined on 8/21/2014We LOVED this special little gem. They knew exactly who we were & where we asked to be seated as soon as we walked through the door. Our table, at the rear of the restaurant, was ready & waiting despite the fact that we were 1/2 hour late. Service was gracious & friendly, almost old world-like. The decor was is warm, comfortable & romantic but also, easy going & friendly. NOT STUFFY! Big menu! FABULOUS wines by the glass. Great crusty bread. Salad w/ grilled peaches, as good as it gets, however their signature starter w/ thinly sliced veal was the winner! Salmon & Cornish Hen entrees perfect & very generous portions. We're saving desert for our next visit. Fairly priced for top of the line service, ambiance & cuisine. Don't pass this up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- an off nightfredVIPDined on 8/17/2014salads were out of this world, red wine from Italy superb but the main courses were off. We ordered what we usually ordered. The duck breast was fair, the ravioli in red sauce lacked something and my wife's shrimp dish was nothing to write home about. Maybe they had a different chef. Usually the food is outstanding.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Delight!NaturalFood14VIPDined on 8/7/2014This is a lovely, small restaurant with attractive decor and back windows that look out on a garden. There are many menu choices and delectable specials. The chef is excellent! The wines are well selected and you can have a mixed drink if that is your preference. If you want to be assured of a delicious meal to share with a special date or good friends this is the place. Although i would feel comfortable dining here alone, knowing I would be made to feel at ease and welcome!Special Features:
- Outstanding as alwaysFoodfanVIPDined on 7/25/2014Everyone we've ever taken to this restaurant leaves with happy taste buds, a full stomach, and a smile on their face. The food is delicious and ranges from light to very filling. A glance at the other tables shows very happy diners. I think the waitstaff in this restaurant is the major contributor to the overall happiness. They are very professional and fun. Not at all pretentious. As great as the staff is, the food is the star. Amazing. We will go back again. And again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/22/2014Very well done. Creative food / menu and well prepared. Very good service.Special Features:
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/20/2014Our first visit to this resturant but it won't be our last!! Great waiter, great wine and excellent food!Special Features:
- The New "Our Place"GeoffDined on 7/13/2014This is the new "our place". We had a number of "our places" on the UES but the Second Avenue subway managed to cause almost all to close. A big "Thanks for Nothing" to the MTA. We have been looking for a replacement for quite some time. We've found it. Been regulars since our first visit and intend to keep going. Food is superb, service is above and beyond, and we're right across the street! What more could you ask for?Special Features:
- Very Special!JuniperDined on 7/9/2014The food was delicious and the service very good. We especially enjoyed our clam dish and veal Milanese. The gelato was refreshing!Special Features:
- Always FantasticGeoffDined on 6/29/2014As usual the food, service, and ambience were wonderful. Had the added benefit of running into Marty McFly and family!Special Features:
- Neighborhood gem...RoseDaleVIPDined on 6/19/2014This is worth leaving your neighborhood to come to our neighborhood. Been here several times, as a couple and with friends, and it has been consistently good and fairly priced. Menu is classic Italian with daily specials that will accommodate most tastes. It's one of those classic long, narrow Manhattan restaurants off First Avenue, but laid out comfortably so diners are not rubbing elbows with the next table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014There was a problem with the menu. The online menu was very different form the resturant menu. In-house menu was very limited and much ore expensive. Waite staff was confused delivered food that was not ordered.
- Good but uneven.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/4/2014The fried artichoke and the eggplant were excellent as appetizers. My veal chop was a bit too fatty, my wife's veal marsala was a bit flavorless, but my daughter's ravioli were delightful. The dessert (millefolgie) was perfect. So , the meal was good but uneven. The service was first rate. I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ServiceGeoffDined on 5/31/2014Had the pleasure (as usual) of some always interesting conversation with Helton as well as being served by Hector. Both make dining at Luna Rossa all the more enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 183 reviews are from the Luna Rossa Ristorante reviews archive.
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/7/2014My husband and I LOVE Luna Rosa. The atmosphere is relaxed, the food is wonderful, and the service is exceptional. There are many reasonably priced wines on the wine list and we have really enjoyed every one we have tried. The specials are always changing, and they are excellent and different. I am transported to Italy while dining at Luna Rosa. Truly a neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Fun eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/4/2014Great food, service and ambiance... we arrived early and there was no problem with our being seated right away. My sole was great and my husband's sausage pasta was served perfectly. We will go back.Special Features:
- Worth every pennyAdkBillDined on 5/3/2014I have never been disappointed by the food at Luna Rossa, and I have very frequently been extremely pleasantly surprised. Italian restaurants are a dime-a-dozen in New York City, and most deliver uninspired food at an inflated price--not so at Luna Rossa, where the food is worth every penny of the slightly above average prices. For once, I've found a place where I get my money's worth and more. If I absolutely must nit-pick about something, at least one of the waiters lays on the Italian accent a little too thickly with an overabundance of "prego"-s. I can live with that for the good food. Tip: if available, ask for a table at the back where you can look out the window on a lovely garden/back yard scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food and ServiceKNinkoDined on 4/20/2014We went for Lunch on Easter. We were greeted outside by our extremely friendly waiter, and offered our choice of seats (it wasn't busy yet, but was very busy by the time we left). We sat in the back by the window, and it was lovely to have natural sunlight beaming in. The service standard of every member of staff who interacted with us was top notch. We began with the Caprese appetizer, and the Buffalo Mozzarella tasted homemade. I then had the Ravioli, and my boyfriend had the Roast Duck. Both were absolutely fantastic - the Bok Choy that came with the Roast Duck was one of the best side dishes I've ever tasted. A great Yorkville neighborhood restaurant - authentic food and amazing service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Foodeatwell58Dined on 4/18/2014This is the 2nd time we've dined at the restaurant. It offers quaint atmosphere and very nice service. The appetizer, entrees and desserts are prepared well and taste delicioso! Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- ReviewBigBowlReviewVIPDined on 4/12/2014Food was amazing. Service could have been better. Felt like our table of 2 was an imposition to the waiter and we got forgot about. Will definitely return for the food and hopefully the service will be better next time!Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/6/2014Went with a large party and the resounding theme was "we need to come back so we can try everything on the menu". Each one of us had something different and every plate was cleaned. I had the chopped/ chef salad. And the wild boar ragu. Both fantastic. The service was lovely. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- We have been returning toOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/5/2014We have been returning to Luna Rossa over and over and it is consistently a delight in terms of food, service and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wine not as good as last time.fredVIPDined on 4/1/2014wine not as good as last time. Pasta and fish superb.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful placejeffDined on 3/24/2014I have been here many times and have never had a meal that I did not thoroughly enjoy. It is a wonderful neighborhood Italian restaurant, which is welcoming and friendly, with excellent food and a quiet and comfortable ambiance.
- Excellent Italian on UESOutoftownerVIPDined on 3/22/2014My wife and I ate here for the first time on Saturday evening, and we liked everything about it. We were seated promptly at a small corner banquette in the back room. Service was attentive but not overbearing. The fog gnocchi lives up to the excellent comments other diners have made, and the fettuccine bolognese was delicious, if not exceptional. The wine list is not large, but there is a wide range of selections by the glass, with some interesting choices. All in all, a very nice spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood favoriteLive2eatVIPDined on 3/13/2014My husband and I have dined here at least once a week for the past 2 years and so have sampled the menu widely. Their pasta selections are outstanding-the daily special of pasta filled with veal and amaretti served with pancetta and sage is exquisite. The breads and sun-dried tomato, olives or other condiments are always delicious. The fish dishes are fresh and flavorful. The service is superb-warm and gracious. By this time, they greet us by name and we are delighted to feel like part of the family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceAdamDined on 3/9/2014The food and service were wonderful. The portions are a very good size too. Although a little expensive, you definitely get your money's worth at this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A charming little UES Italianfriend87Dined on 3/8/2014Bright, cheery, warm interior and excellent food and wine. One of the more unusual and charming aspects of this restaurant is the view from the rear window, which discloses a private house with a garden just a few feet from the window. Very rare in Manhattan.Special Features:
- Too BadTimmyDined on 2/19/2014The veal was tough and had to be sent back to the kitchen, The pasta dishes were mediocer.
- We will be back!ScragglewartVIPDined on 2/13/2014A quiet week night spent at this charming little restaurant could not have been better. Our waiter, Maximo (sp?) was extremely welcoming and helpful. My husband and I shared the artichoke appetizer as he recommended, and truly enjoyed it. We also enjoyed the home made pasta, which was delectable -- and the Veal milanese. Both of us wanted to lick the plates! I didn't give it 5 stars only because I generally reserve that for "gourmand" restaurants with more complex dishes and luxurious decor. But I do give this place a "Let's go back" - which says enough!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfullOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/12/2014We have been here a few times...the people and the food are the best.Special Features:
- The reviews on Yelp and OpensmartyVIPDined on 1/16/2014The reviews on Yelp and Open Table were spot on. Food was terrific. Since it was relatively empty, the ambience was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousSharonDined on 1/11/2014Great pasta, wonderful attentive service. Smaller neighborhood restaurant that we will return to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantJoshVIPDined on 1/10/2014Try the kale salad or the beet salad. Meatballs were very good, the chef made a grilled chicken dish with rosemary and galric for me which was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.