Luna Piena Ristorante
243 East 53rd Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Luna Piena Ristorante
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lunapienanyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 308-8882
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch and Dinner: Daily: 12:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Luigi Scarpelli
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We look forward to you joining us here at Luna Piena for your next party. We have three private rooms that can accommodate parties of 15 to 75 guests.
A word from Luna Piena Ristorante
Luna Piena serves a large selection of simply prepared pastas, chicken, veal, and seafood dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Luna Piena Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (22)fit for foodies (10)great for lunch (6)good for groups (6)romantic (5)special occasion (3)notable wine list (3)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- NYC FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014My favorite restaurant in NYC. Great food, Good service and fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always go back ..RalphDined on 11/17/2014I may not go as often because I no longer live in the city but Luna Piena is a gem. Always consistent, wonderful food, friendly service and Luigi is a wonderful host.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/14/2014Food was just ok. Disappointed given convenient location on 53 street. Many other Italian restaurants to choose from just around corner
- The moon has set on this placeLaurieLVIPDined on 11/9/2014It's been a while since I've been to Luna Piena and it'll be forever until I go back again. We ordered 2 items from the specials menu: lamb chops and osso buco. Osso buco is one of my favorite cold weather dishes and the only way you can disappoint me with that is if the veal is not tender. It was not. It was accompanied by a saffron risotto, which was so utterly flavorless, no amount of parmesan (and salt) could salvage it. Lamb chops were as disappointing as was the osso buco. Was a cute neighborhood option that is no longer on my list of options for Italian in Midtown East.
- Not goodOrthoDined on 11/8/2014Took 4 dear friends and all 6 of us very disappointed. Didn't seem fresh and sauce over cooked and bitter. Will not return
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/7/2014Excellent! Great food, great service. All six in our group were impressed.Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood Italian SpotBradDined on 11/1/2014Meal night before the NYC marathon. Restaurant was packed, but was seated reasonably close to my reservation time and they kept the process moving. Was a fun night and the food was excellent. Part of a great NYC weekend.Special Features:
- Full MoonOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/25/2014Worth a visit when looking for a place in the fifties, bring some friends, live laugh and loveSpecial Features:
- Excellent and dependable bistroHarriDined on 10/20/2014I have been going to Luna Piena for several years and it never disappoints. The food is well prepared, the specials are actually special and the staff is friendly and efficient. Also, you can have a conversation there.Special Features:
- Molto delizioso!RoRoVIPDined on 10/18/2014We have been dining at Luna Piena for several years. The food is always beyond delicious and the owner, Luigi, is a most gracious and accommodating host. The service is excellent. The only other restaurant we've had zucchini flowers prepared so wonderfully was in Roma, so it is such a treat to feel as though we're in Italy when dining at Luna Piena!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and cruelOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/11/2014We sat near the bar and witnessed for over an hour a bus boy racing, tripping , dropping dishes, and then falling done the stairs injuring himself. Management watched this and did nothing. We complained at the end and sat at a bare table being ignored waiting to pay the bill . It was a heartbreaking experience.
- Met FriendsRezzieDined on 9/27/2014We met friends we hadn't seen in 2 years and we had a lot to talk about!! The staff at Luna Piena was very accommodating - they let us sit and talk. And talk. They filled our waters without asking (I LOVE that!) and didn't rush us. The lentil dip and the bread is the best! There were more than one vegetarian choices. My first complaint (and it cost a star) was that my food (salmon and asparagus) was EXTREMELY salty. I had to drink about 5 glasses of water with the meal. The second complaint is there is no brewed decaffeinated coffee!! Everything else was great (especially the delicious biscotti).Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014I have been there 3x, and the food always seems to be consistent . My waitress was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable ItalianReddevilsVIPDined on 8/15/2014It was our first time in over a year. We heard rumors that Luna lost its touch. Nonsense. It was as good as ever. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and accomodatingWavyLadyDined on 8/13/2014Our group of 6 had a great meal when we were there on a Wednesday night in August, to celebrate the birthdays of two friends. Our server was very helpful with our menu selections and we never felt rushed. We were really able to take our time to enjoy the food and the time together. High marks for the staff and chef!Special Features:
- Always reliableRalphDined on 8/7/2014I just took friends from Florida here for lunch. I can always count on very good food, friendly service and hello from Luigi. I've been going to Luna Piena for years starting when I lived in NYC. It's wonderful to be able to always return and know i'll have a great meal in a nice, fiendly environment. Many thanks as alwaysSpecial Features:
- foodieVIPDined on 7/31/2014Luna Piena is a great neighborhood gem. The food is consistently good the staff is always gracious.Special Features:
- The following 265 reviews are from the Luna Piena Ristorante reviews archive.
- Great food but slow serviceFoodieVIPDined on 7/28/2014They have great food but don't go there for lunch because you'll need at least 2 hours. My colleagues and I have gone several times for lunch because we love the food but each time we regret it. It simply takes too long. The waiter doesn't take your order for at least 10-15 minutes and then you have to wait another 30 minutes for your food...order appetizers? Then add another 30 mins. After all that it takes more time to get the bill even after the table has been cleared. When you have an hour for lunch this just doesn't work. With all that said, the food is great just go for dinner when you have a lot more time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An OK experience, but only OKdinnerinthecityDined on 7/19/2014We were a party of three, shared two antpasti and each of us had a separate dinner entree. The antipasti were good, but our responses varied about the quality of the entrees, from 'so-so' to 'very good', but none of the three of us would claim that the meal was exceptional. Annoyingly, the service was rushed pretty much throughout the meal, although at any one time there appeared to be a smattering of empty tables throughout the restaurant. So the rush seemed pointless.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodtravel4foodVIPDined on 7/15/2014I have been having lunch (and the very occasional dinner) at Luna Piena since it opened. The service is always good, and neither I nor my dining companions have ever had a bad dish. Pastas are excellent, salads fresh (my favorite is the Exotica), fish beautifully prepared. The prices are good, too.Special Features:
- Traditional stop for us in NYC!kegoVIPDined on 7/11/2014We've been going to Luna Piena for seven years now, almost every trip to New York. The food is always amazing and the atmosphere and service are impeccable. I was disappointed that they didn't have my favorite summer appetizer - figs with gorgonzola, walnuts, and prosciutto - so if you take my advice and go to Luna Piena, order some for me! I also highly recommend the daily risotto (mine was wild mushroom) and whatever seafood pasta special they have. Fresh mussels, lobster, and shrimp taste amazing now matter how they cook it!Special Features:
- Overall good service. Average foodHappynyDined on 7/11/2014My friend and I ordered osso buco the same dish for each of us and we realized that one dish had half meat than the other. When we asked for the reason, the waitress said that they put more meat in one dish more than usual. Not the other dish has small portion. I had osso buco at other places, and this was the smallest I have eaten. The risotto that can with it was very good and made up for small portion of meat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not in Ks. anymoreOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/3/2014very nice of the beaten path restaurant. Food was very good. Service staff was attentive an friendly. Pricing was very reasonable by NYC standards.Special Features:
- Wonderful place!LunapienafanDined on 6/28/2014You feel as if you were celebrating with friends and loved ones.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- alimentaryadventurerDined on 6/15/2014We had a lovely dinner. The food was solid and served by a caring, attentive staff. This is a restaurant that will be added to our reliable, stand-by list.Special Features:
- Great serviceKristinDined on 5/23/2014Service was outstanding. good italian food. Moderate prices. Would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great servicereviewVIPDined on 5/20/2014Fast, friendly service. Food was good but perhaps not special. The cheese was awesome.
- Great RestaurantJudyDined on 5/11/2014Had lunch on Mothers Day. Food was great! Had a 2 year old with us and they were very accommodating. Really great lasagna!Special Features:
- Decent but not greatLalloVIPDined on 5/9/2014This is a 2 an 1/2 stars restaurant with 4 star prices. Decent food, but not so great to justify its prices. There are a lot of better restaurants in this neighborhood. Will not go again.
- A New York landmarkpickyeatersDined on 5/9/2014We got into NYC that morning and always depend on hotel recommendations and trip advisor reviews. They were right about Luna Piena. Excellant food, relaxed atmosphere and wonderful waiter staff. We plan on making this a regular stop on our next trip!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovingItalianDined on 5/9/2014I've been here on two occasions in the last two months, for business and pleasure. Both times, the food was great and servers are very attentive. It's some of the best Italian food I've had in the city in along time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulJeannieDined on 5/8/2014We love this restaurant. Go often. The service is spectacular.Special Features:
- Great Place!!PeterSVIPDined on 4/26/2014Best Italian food in all of New York City. The service is great too. The food tastes like I had in Italy. I go here all the time.Special Features:
- foodluverVIPDined on 4/20/2014on E 53rd, there are a lot of good restaurants. Luna Piena is good but not great. Calamari salad was very tasty, with tender calamari; but the buffala mozzeralla was only fair. The branzino baked in salt was wonderful - but the osso buco and risotto was mediocre. So a mixed night.
- Lovely for lunchDryWitBritDined on 3/21/2014Went here with some colleagues and we had a lovely time. Good food, attentive service, not too expensive. Would come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodGoodVIPDined on 3/15/2014This is a very good place to eat food is great and good service only set back is that they do rush you a bit. We were there for an hour I know they want to turn the tables but that’s too fast and are reservation was at 8pm.Special Features:
- Uninformed waitersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/14/2014I was told there was a special on the menu that could be served with whole wheat pasta. They brought me gluten-free pasta which tasted horrible and didn't even discount the plate from the Bill. Will not be going to this restaurant again.
- Very Good ItalianmorrisDined on 3/7/2014Very good food, fine service -- less expensive than other high quality restaurants. I have lunch meetings here and everyone is always happy with the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food. AuthenticMLP52AAVIPDined on 3/2/2014Wonderful food. Authentic Italian cuisine. Recommend highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian in the CityDinerVIPDined on 2/26/2014Interesting menu with lots of delicious daily specials. Great ambiance. Great staff. Have been enjoying their hospitality for years without a bad meal. My go to Italian in the City.Special Features: