Luna Piena Ristorante
243 East 53rd Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Luna Piena Ristorante
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lunapienanyc.com/
- Phone: 2123088882
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch and Dinner: Daily: 12:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Luigi Scarpelli
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We look forward to you joining us here at Luna Piena for your next party. We have three private rooms that can accommodate parties of 15 to 75 guests.
A word from Luna Piena Ristorante
Luna Piena serves a large selection of simply prepared pastas, chicken, veal, and seafood dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Luna Piena Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (23)fit for foodies (14)romantic (9)great for lunch (8)great for outdoor dining (6)special occasion (6)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Reliable ItalianReddevilsVIPDined on 8/15/2014It was our first time in over a year. We heard rumors that Luna lost its touch. Nonsense. It was as good as ever. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and accomodatingWavyLadyDined on 8/13/2014Our group of 6 had a great meal when we were there on a Wednesday night in August, to celebrate the birthdays of two friends. Our server was very helpful with our menu selections and we never felt rushed. We were really able to take our time to enjoy the food and the time together. High marks for the staff and chef!Special Features:
- Always reliableRalphDined on 8/7/2014I just took friends from Florida here for lunch. I can always count on very good food, friendly service and hello from Luigi. I've been going to Luna Piena for years starting when I lived in NYC. It's wonderful to be able to always return and know i'll have a great meal in a nice, fiendly environment. Many thanks as alwaysSpecial Features:
- foodieVIPDined on 7/31/2014Luna Piena is a great neighborhood gem. The food is consistently good the staff is always gracious.Special Features:
- Great food but slow serviceFoodieVIPDined on 7/28/2014They have great food but don't go there for lunch because you'll need at least 2 hours. My colleagues and I have gone several times for lunch because we love the food but each time we regret it. It simply takes too long. The waiter doesn't take your order for at least 10-15 minutes and then you have to wait another 30 minutes for your food...order appetizers? Then add another 30 mins. After all that it takes more time to get the bill even after the table has been cleared. When you have an hour for lunch this just doesn't work. With all that said, the food is great just go for dinner when you have a lot more time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An OK experience, but only OKdinnerinthecityDined on 7/19/2014We were a party of three, shared two antpasti and each of us had a separate dinner entree. The antipasti were good, but our responses varied about the quality of the entrees, from 'so-so' to 'very good', but none of the three of us would claim that the meal was exceptional. Annoyingly, the service was rushed pretty much throughout the meal, although at any one time there appeared to be a smattering of empty tables throughout the restaurant. So the rush seemed pointless.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodtravel4foodVIPDined on 7/15/2014I have been having lunch (and the very occasional dinner) at Luna Piena since it opened. The service is always good, and neither I nor my dining companions have ever had a bad dish. Pastas are excellent, salads fresh (my favorite is the Exotica), fish beautifully prepared. The prices are good, too.Special Features:
- Traditional stop for us in NYC!kegoVIPDined on 7/11/2014We've been going to Luna Piena for seven years now, almost every trip to New York. The food is always amazing and the atmosphere and service are impeccable. I was disappointed that they didn't have my favorite summer appetizer - figs with gorgonzola, walnuts, and prosciutto - so if you take my advice and go to Luna Piena, order some for me! I also highly recommend the daily risotto (mine was wild mushroom) and whatever seafood pasta special they have. Fresh mussels, lobster, and shrimp taste amazing now matter how they cook it!Special Features:
- Overall good service. Average foodHappynyDined on 7/11/2014My friend and I ordered osso buco the same dish for each of us and we realized that one dish had half meat than the other. When we asked for the reason, the waitress said that they put more meat in one dish more than usual. Not the other dish has small portion. I had osso buco at other places, and this was the smallest I have eaten. The risotto that can with it was very good and made up for small portion of meat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not in Ks. anymoreOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/3/2014very nice of the beaten path restaurant. Food was very good. Service staff was attentive an friendly. Pricing was very reasonable by NYC standards.Special Features:
- Wonderful place!LunapienafanDined on 6/28/2014You feel as if you were celebrating with friends and loved ones.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- alimentaryadventurerDined on 6/15/2014We had a lovely dinner. The food was solid and served by a caring, attentive staff. This is a restaurant that will be added to our reliable, stand-by list.Special Features:
- Great serviceKristinDined on 5/23/2014Service was outstanding. good italian food. Moderate prices. Would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great servicereviewVIPDined on 5/20/2014Fast, friendly service. Food was good but perhaps not special. The cheese was awesome.
- Great RestaurantJudyDined on 5/11/2014Had lunch on Mothers Day. Food was great! Had a 2 year old with us and they were very accommodating. Really great lasagna!Special Features:
- Decent but not greatLalloVIPDined on 5/9/2014This is a 2 an 1/2 stars restaurant with 4 star prices. Decent food, but not so great to justify its prices. There are a lot of better restaurants in this neighborhood. Will not go again.
- A New York landmarkpickyeatersDined on 5/9/2014We got into NYC that morning and always depend on hotel recommendations and trip advisor reviews. They were right about Luna Piena. Excellant food, relaxed atmosphere and wonderful waiter staff. We plan on making this a regular stop on our next trip!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/9/2014I've been here on two occasions in the last two months, for business and pleasure. Both times, the food was great and servers are very attentive. It's some of the best Italian food I've had in the city in along time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulJeannieDined on 5/8/2014We love this restaurant. Go often. The service is spectacular.Special Features:
- The following 250 reviews are from the Luna Piena Ristorante reviews archive.
- Great Place!!PeterSVIPDined on 4/26/2014Best Italian food in all of New York City. The service is great too. The food tastes like I had in Italy. I go here all the time.Special Features:
- foodluverVIPDined on 4/20/2014on E 53rd, there are a lot of good restaurants. Luna Piena is good but not great. Calamari salad was very tasty, with tender calamari; but the buffala mozzeralla was only fair. The branzino baked in salt was wonderful - but the osso buco and risotto was mediocre. So a mixed night.
- Lovely for lunchDryWitBritDined on 3/21/2014Went here with some colleagues and we had a lovely time. Good food, attentive service, not too expensive. Would come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodGoodVIPDined on 3/15/2014This is a very good place to eat food is great and good service only set back is that they do rush you a bit. We were there for an hour I know they want to turn the tables but that’s too fast and are reservation was at 8pm.Special Features:
- Uninformed waitersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/14/2014I was told there was a special on the menu that could be served with whole wheat pasta. They brought me gluten-free pasta which tasted horrible and didn't even discount the plate from the Bill. Will not be going to this restaurant again.
- Very Good ItalianmorrisDined on 3/7/2014Very good food, fine service -- less expensive than other high quality restaurants. I have lunch meetings here and everyone is always happy with the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food. AuthenticMLP52AAVIPDined on 3/2/2014Wonderful food. Authentic Italian cuisine. Recommend highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian in the CityDinerDined on 2/26/2014Interesting menu with lots of delicious daily specials. Great ambiance. Great staff. Have been enjoying their hospitality for years without a bad meal. My go to Italian in the City.Special Features:
- Weekend GetawayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/6/2014Heard about this place from a friend who just visited. Awesome place with great good & service. Would def recommend this to anyone else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect NYC restaurantkegoVIPDined on 2/2/2014In a city the size of NY, choosing a restaurant can be overwhelming. I am always looking for a great total experience - great food, of course, but also ambience, service, and location. Luna Piena meets all of these for me! The food is truly amazing. Any of the pastas are a good choice (my favorite being the wild mushroom ravioli), as are the meat dishes (plenty of chicken, veal, and seafood choices). The wine list is not huge, but the restaurant maintains a great selection of wines by the glass and by the bottle. Other than the food the main reason I keep returning to Luna Piena is the impeccable service. The wait staff is charming, knowledgeable, and discreetly nearby. A trip to NYC will always include a dinner at Luna Piena for me!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedJoeBamVIPDined on 1/18/2014My wife and I were in NY for an impromptu weekend getaway. We were able to get tickets for a show, then scoured Open Table for a good place to grab dinner, and with the zillion choices to review, it became very overwhelming. We contacted the concierge at the hotel, and he suggested Luna Piena. With that we checked it out on OT, liked the menu and reviews and took our chances. Glad we did! The service was fantastic, very attentive, and you could see this was a family run place. Our waitress was very informed on the menu items, and even offered to have something made for me that wasn't on the menu. The food was fresh, flavorful, and hands down, TOP NOTCH! Will definitely go again my next trip to NY and I highly recommend.Special Features:
- Very authentic and very deliciousSalviDined on 1/15/2014Very authentic and very delicious Italian food. I have eaten dinner here 3 times and tried something different each time and each of my 3 entrees were memorable. Reasonably priced too...Special Features:
- New to usdatenightDined on 1/10/2014This was my husband's and my first time at Luna Piena and we were so pleased to have found this gem. We had an early dinner before attending a local event. Menu selection was excellent and I opted for one of the specials which was pasta with bite size pieces of fillet mignon, mushrooms in a wine sauce. My husband chose the veal parmigian which was outstanding. Portions wwere plentiful. Also wanted to mention that we each started with a large bowl of vegetable soup which warmed us up on a cold winter eening. As it was my birthday, a delicious piece o tiramisu ended our meal. Attentive service was provided throughout the mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findAmosVIPDined on 12/25/2013My whole family loves this restaurant. The food is consistently good and the service is wonderful. They are friendly and very willing to please. We come here very often and they always remember us. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Children RestaurantHelgaDined on 12/21/2013Great Italian restaurant when you have children....Special Features:
- A great local placeStationerystephDined on 12/19/2013For the last three years around the holidays, i have been taking my son's girlfriend for dinner here after we go for facials a block away at Mario Badescu. I love it. The pasta is delicious and I love the warm and cozy atmosphere .The workers are always friendly and there is just a general good vibe. My husband has been there a number of times for lunch as well and also really likes it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian in NYCtravelproDined on 12/13/2013Stopped in on a cold Friday in December. Modest exterior with a warm, friendly ambience inside. This is clearly a family-run place, and everyone pitched in to provide impeccable service. Food is truly authentic and delicous: we had a Veal Chop Special and a Veal Milanese - both were excellent. Try the blood orange sorbet for dessert - delicious. And the prices - for New York - were very reaonable. Try this place - you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Authentic ItalianLuvItalianDined on 11/23/2013The spinach stuffed ravioli was excellent with the homemade pasta being cooked just right and the fresh tomato sauce being awesome. We'll definitely plan to eat here again the next time we are in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mid-town Neighborhood GemExManhattaniteDined on 11/13/2013An unexpected find: a relaxed neighborhood fine dining experience. If you don't like fussy, but you do appreciate well prepared and presented dishes with impeccable service, try Luna Piena. You will not be disappointed. The staff is deservedly proud of this restaurant. This was our first dinner there, but we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice pre-marathon experienceMassimoDined on 11/2/2013Wanted a pasta-based dinner the night before NYC marathon, and the choice proved good, with nice food and quantities that definitely do not leave you in want of more carbs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great marathon pre-race dinnertjrunnerDined on 11/2/2013Given this was our pre-race NYC marathon dinner, we ate a basic spaghetti meal and didn't indulge in the wine or dessert but we would definitely go back. The food was very good and the service was excellent. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.