Luna Bistro + Catering
621 Des Moines Street
Des Moines, IA 50309Neighborhood:
Downtown Des Moines
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Luna Bistro + Catering
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.lunabistro.com/
- Phone: 5152889849
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Wednesday - Friday: 4:30pm - Close, Saturday: 5:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Kris Van Tuyl
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Kris Van Tuyl 5152889849
A word from Luna Bistro + Catering
This relatively new restaurant is a rising star in Des Moines’ East Village. Owners Beth and Kris Van Tuyl delighted their regular patrons this spring when they were also able to open their popular lunch spot Wednesday through Saturday for dinner. The kitchen here specializes in embellishing classic dishes with ambitious new twists. The charming yet relaxed backdrop inside the historic Northland Building provides an ideal setting for a unique local dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Luna Bistro + Catering reviews from OpenTable diners
- Sad Last NightlaughlynDined on 8/2/2013The Luna Bistro sadly is closing its doors after 2 years and my wife and I just found it. It is great food, friendly staff. It was a great experience for our anniversary we are just sorry we can't come back soon. If you are reading this, then know that you missed out on a gem of the East Village.Special Features:
- East Village Amazing!timberVIPDined on 7/10/2013Couldn't have been a better spot for the 5 of us visiting Des Moines on business. A local suggested Luna and, with no more referral than that, we went. Spinach salads, onion rings, and a great gazpacho for first courses. The brochette entree was amazing--with a great avocado sauce, totally unexpected and dead on right--and the desserts were wonderful. Rational wine prices and the meals were all prix fixe, an incredibly good value. Service was spot on, friendly, warm, and knowledgeable---server was also the sous chef, a nice touch that made it all feel sort of homey. Next Des Moines visit, I'm going back for sure. Luna is as good or better than any of the Los Angeles restaurants I get to go to at home. LOVED it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved everything!ShelleyDined on 6/6/2013From the grilled romaine salad to the skirt steak and pineapple upside down cake, everything tasted great. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visiting from CaliforniaShawnOVIPDined on 5/17/2013In town for a graduation. Search the Internet for restaurants downtown. Liked what I read so we booked. We had a great dinner. Chris our waiter was very attentive and nice. The complementary starter of a Brussel sprout wrapped in bacon was very tasty. There were three of us and we all ordered different entrees and desserts. All very good. The quail egg starter was the best. You must order. The decor is very simple and that is fine because the food and service are more important to me and both were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RedemptionRLReasonsVIPDined on 4/11/2013This was a return to the restaurant after a not so impressive first trip. Things have improved! The service was significantly improved, the menu remains a set price for three courses. The food this go around was outstanding - well prepared, presented and delicious. I will definately return to support this small local place.
- Would have been nice if thereOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/1/2013Would have been nice if there was more awareness of it being a Driday of Lent for us CatholicsSpecial Features:
- Room to ImproveRLReasonsVIPDined on 2/9/2013Overall the restaurant was a surprise - nice menu and enjoy the fix prix concepts. I had the grilled heart or romaine salad - too much cheese and dressing but over all OK. The Chicken Kiev was too salty but the Beer Milkshake was fantastic. With respect to service, it seem there is still a bit to learn: inconsistence in offering and delivering bread and oil, asked us to retain silverware after salad yet no place to put it other than on the table (more diner like that upscale), server was a little over attentive (narrow margin of error). Will recommend but with reservations. I will try it again and sure hope they make a go of it.
- Innovative menu. Prix fixeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/31/2013Innovative menu. Prix fixe menu is a very good deal. The chef/owner was personable and the server was competent and nice. The decor is upscaled warehouse.Special Features:
- Good food, but a bit priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/26/2013Food was good, however for what you got it was pricey. Would be more likely to return if it was about $5 per plate less. There is a place accross the street that has better food for similar pricingSpecial Features:
- Never heard of Luna? Your loss.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/25/2013Luna is tucked away, but absolutely a hidden gem. On 1/25/2013, I was part of a party of four. The menu was small but superb, using local foods when possible. The portion sizes were perfect, especially since we did all the courses of the prix fixe menu. The four of us all commented on the sauces- they absolutely kicked the dish to the next level. I was surprised by how much I liked the stout beer milkshake. The location is small/intimate, so get that reservation! The only place to wait for your seating is a small deck outside the restaurant. You can see right into the kitchen. Fun touches: fruit-infused water, an amuse bouche (a bite size portion of the BLT from the lunch menu - awesome!). Plan to linger, this food needs to be savoredSpecial Features:
- A fantastic staff that cares...TJFridayVIPDined on 1/19/2013Luna Bistro has a great atmosphere and unique vintage Des Moines space. The food will please many different palates. For starters, the baked potato fries (with a mild truffle flavor) were perfect, but will definitely return to try the lobster bisque next time after seeing it go several other tables. The salads looked excellent, also. For entrees, we had the salmon served in seared parchment and the beef spare ribs. Both were done to perfection and served with distinctive character and flavors. Portions were modest and a great value. Desert is not to be missed--especially the chocolate and strawberry cheesecake. The beverage menu is a bit limited but has great choices, however I would expect to see it evolve. Great new find for DSM.Special Features: