1293 Washington St.
West Newton, MA 02465Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lumiererestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6172449199
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm; Friday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Saturday 5pm - 10pm Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Michael Leviton
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Lumiere Catering offers an array of options for your catered event, from an intimate dinner in your home to a large corporate function. Please contact the restaurant for further information.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a semi-private dining room with capacity for a maximum of 35 guests. Menus begin at $75 per person for a 3 course dinner with 2 pre-selected choices per course. Guests may also select passed hors d'oeuvres and specialty cocktails for a pre-dinner cocktail hour. Our menu changes daily and with the seasons depending on availability of products.
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer DeLeonardis 6172449199
- Special Events: Lumiere features a monthly dinner that highlights local and sustainable food and beverage. Speakers will be on hand to discuss the benefits of sustainable eating and a portion of the proceeds will go to The Chef's Collaborative.
- Cross Street: Waltham St.
- Public Transit: Green line - Woodland; Commuter Rail - West Newton
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: There is a divided lot directly behind Lumiere, next to the Post Office. You may park anywhere in either lot, including the post office spaces after 5:30pm. There is also ample street parking.
A word from Lumiere
Lumiere is a casually elegant, upscale neighborhood bistro featuring modern-French cuisine, an extensive wine list as well as a full bar. We also offer a semi-private dining room that can comfortably accommodate up to 35 guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Lumiere - Best Restaurants in Newton ›
Lumiere reviews from OpenTable diners
183 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (132)special occasion (130)neighborhood gem (103)romantic (68)notable wine list (31)good for groups (7)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/22/2014Lumiere is a gem of a dining experience. The food is always consistently tops. I've dined there for years & love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why don't we eat here more oftenOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/21/2014We've eaten here 3-4 times since it opened. It always has wonderfully unique but not silly dishes. Everything is delicious. The service is friendly and not stuffy. I feel like I ought to come once a month. Maybe, they could add a few more dessert options. Perhaps some local artisan ice creams.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lumière IS a bright lightjsandVIPDined on 10/18/2014A perfect evening of celebrating a friend's 70th b-day- scallop appetizer in a light squash/coriander sauce with pumpkin seeds- creative and richly flavorful, tuna tartare with a slightly spicy vinaigrette with flavors of avocado and ginger and refreshing cucumber. The swordfish main with shiitake mushrooms was unlike any other swordfish- tender and sweet-fleshed, the lamb duo was a little too salty sausage and perfectly done sliced lamb from the bone. We splurged with an order of fries for the table- perfectly crunchy outside and lovely potato flavor inside AND the spinach- not too creamy or overdone, a rarity. The apple pastry for dessert was a true winner- buttery and not too sweet. The tasting menu for the b-day celebrant-flawless.Special Features:
- Inventive gemOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/17/2014One of our favorites. Always new way of thinking and preparing. Done well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointingfoodcritic23Dined on 10/15/2014Despite good reviews on the web, this place is overrated. The food is good but not great, the service was awful (45 min to get an appetizer...) and the price is very high for what you get. I will not go back.
- Great MealRichDined on 10/15/2014Very unpretencious from the exterior. Small menue with very inventive offerings, all well prepared, with great service and a very nice wine and cocktail list. A great choice for a very good meal without having to travel to Boston.Special Features:
- October DelightsKlinkDined on 10/15/2014Loved the squash soup and scallops with pumpkin seeds. Sitting in a booth with friends was very pleasant, and we appreciated the extra desserts we were offered to make up for a few slow patches in service. Food here is consistently delicious, and we like the menu variations and options (prix fixe, tasting menu) in addition to the fresh, seasonal fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No parkingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/11/2014There is only one thing that kept me from giving Lumiere five stars... Lack of parking. It's tough to find so get there early and have some quarters. The meal is worth the trouble!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really special mealCrowetacDined on 10/11/2014Had the Chefs Tasting menu. Each dish was scrumptious. The chef graciously substituted bluefish for the lamb entree. We have had the tasting menu before, but felt these portions were even smaller than usual. Also we felt slightly rushed. It was a Saturday night, so they may have been expecting a really full house.Special Features:
- Dinner for TwoLuv2eatDined on 10/11/2014Scallop special was phenomenal-best scallops I've ever had! Cooked perfectly-Asian infused Autumn dish: puréed squash w/ fresh cilantro, vinaigrette made with homemade curry, roasted pumpkin seeds (were they brushed w/ the vinaigrette before they were roasted?). Beautifully presented, absolutely deliscious. My swordfish was cooked to perfection but was too salty. The homemade lamb sausage was excellent! The apple Tarte with sour creme sorbet was superb. Chocolate cake was excellent, the peanut butter sorbet that came with it was intense. Peanut butter lovers would love it. I would have preferred just a 'hint' of peanut butter. Excellent wines by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodLexingtoncustomerDined on 10/8/2014the chicken entree was so delicious and the chicken was fresh and flavorful. Wine was a little pricey but good selections. The seating was a little crowded but the service more than made up for it. They offered a complementary welcome appetizer as well. The swordfish and the pannacotta were delicious. Perhaps one of the best French restaurants in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExcellentPickettdogDined on 10/8/2014I have been to Lumiere approximately 6 or 7 times over the past few years. The food is always excellent, the staff is always cordial and very professional. I count on Lumiere to be a great dining experience, and it never disappoints. Lumiere is one of my 'go to' choices for business dinners when I need to ensure that everything will be outstanding.Special Features:
- Too Close for ComfortDiner4PrivacyVIPDined on 10/7/2014With all the positives going for Lumiere, I would like to see some thought given to providing diners more space at tables for two. They are far too close for any private conversation and for tuning out conversation from tables on either side.Special Features:
- Great!qwertyDined on 10/3/2014I went on a date to this restaurant and had the tasting menu - it was perfect.Special Features:
- GREAT SPOT!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014Meal was well executed, dc and I both had steak which was cooked to order (med rare and medium). Appetizer portion of pasta was great too!Lovely spot, will be back!!!Special Features:
- Great as AlwaysMEHFDined on 9/26/2014This is the only top-level restaurant in the Boston area where you can get a table on fairly short notice, I guess because it's a bit out of the way.Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/24/2014The service was extraordinary. The food was very well described to us while we were ordering. We were given a taste of the wine before deciding which one to order. We were just very well taken care of.Special Features:
- A perfect spot for haute cuisinebob0314Dined on 9/23/2014Three of us spent three hours at Lumiere, eating, drinking, talking.The service was impeccable All the food we ate was delicious -- the owner, Michael Levin, is a locavore who stresses local produce. The wine list has excellent choices.Special Features:
- oh.my.god.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/23/2014Lovely beautiful delicious food. Atmosphere is very elegant but not too stuffy. Every aspect of the plate is amazing. Went here for our anniversary and if everyone celebrated another year of marriage this way the divorce rate would dwindle dramatically.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencePlanter11Dined on 9/20/2014We had a lovely dinner at Lumiere on a recent Saturday night. Food was beautifully presented and delicious. Service was attentive but not obtrusive, and my water glass was always kept filled, which i appreciated. Dessert menu seemed a little limited, sorbets and parfaits, and offered way too many after-dinner drinks, so we passed. But it was a very pleasing and satisfying experience. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbPetuniaVIPDined on 9/19/2014We've gone to Lumiere for years - for family celebrations, with friends, and just the two of us after a movie across the street in the West Newton Cinema. The food is unfaaillingly excellent, the atmosphere consistently pleasant. It's our go-to venue for a superb dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014They were especially helpful in honoring/changing our reservation when half of our party was delayed by plane flight arrival.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014A friend treated us (4 in total) to a special birthday dinner and it was, indeed, special. The ambiance is lovely and it's quiet (critical for my husband who is hard of hearing). The food was superb and "gifts" of little starters and a special drink from the chef were appreciated - a nice touch. Our waiter was delightful -knowledgable (great on wines), and friendly. It was a most memorable evening. I hope we get back there soon.Special Features:
- Perfect ExperienceBoboDined on 9/11/2014Every serving was delicious. The corn soup was unusual and good. The Blue Fish was tasty and the Dessert special. My wife particularly enjoyed the lamb. Service was very attentive and enthusiasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealNoelDined on 9/9/2014Went back to Lumiere for my wife's birthday after several years' absence. Good as ever! My bluefish was delicious; her pasta with lobster exquisite. Service was friendly and prompt. And the cost was very reasonable!Special Features:
- Tasting Menu was wonderfuljohnrobDined on 9/6/2014Interesting and flavorful with excellent wine pairings. Quite expensive, not sure that value = price paid. Table was ready promptly at 8:15, the time of the reservation. Larry and Renee were exceptional, attentive and enjoyable to interact with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent All AroundOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2014We had a fabulous dinner and thoroughly enjoyed a birthday celebration at Lumiere. The wait staff was knowledgeable and friendly, not intrusive, and we enjoyed a special soup from the chef at the beginning of the meal. The flavors and fresh ingredients of the dishes are used creatively in the excellently prepared food. We love the light and decor of the restaurant; the only reason for one less star for "ambiance" is the row of tables close together in the upper level. It keeps people away because people dislike being seated so close to others. Perhaps removing even one would make that row more appealing. I hope they will advertise the change, if it's made - I have some friends who would return. Keep up the good work, Lumiere. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hhwdsfarnsworthVIPDined on 9/5/2014Another delicious meal. Lumiere is consistently excellent, one of our favorite restaurants in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodDeliloverDined on 9/4/2014Lumiere has remained great for all the years it has been open, no dips or bad spells that I have experienced. I love the décor, and as my husband and I noted, everyone was dressed appropriately for a "nice" restaurant, no shorts and flip flops. It enhances the dining experience. The amuse bouche and the little cookies are and added treat to a really good meal.Special Features:
- DisappointingdineoutoftenDined on 9/3/2014Took a friend for her birthday. I eat out frequently and last time at Lumiere was a treat. This time service was awkward -- one nervous, unoccupied waiter kept clearing dishes and drinks before we were finished. For price expected exceptional taste, food was good not great. Dessert menu was so uninspiring we left and went to Cabot's for ice cream for dessert -- which was delicious! Won't rush back!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Have been going to lumiere for years always outstanding in food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- meadowlark27Dined on 8/30/2014We introduced friends to Lumiere who have very discriminating taster. The steak for 2 was wonderful. Cooked perfectly. Scallops were slightly undercooked. Overall, a 1st rate dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef Michael Leviton is a treasureOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/29/2014Chef Michael Leviton is a Boston treasure. He stopped by our table to make sure everything was perfect, and it was.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceMarekPDined on 8/28/2014Visiting my son at BC - wanted to find a nice place to have family dinner before school starts. Excellent dining experience, good wine, nice atmosphere. Not cheep but enjoyed every minute. Great, personal service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oasis of excellenceVerdedinerDined on 8/26/2014By far, the best restaurant in the area. Seasonal ingredients wonderfully prepared. I had two appetizers -- which satisfied me completely. I'll return to Lumiere very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atmosphere, food, winenannarellaDined on 8/25/2014We had a great dinner experience at Lumiere. The waitstaff is solicitous without being stuffy, and the room is elegant and calm. And the food! We had the prix-fixe menu choices with wine pairings, and we ate and drank very well. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/25/2014Lumiere is in its own class. The food creations are amazing and always are unique and ever changing. You will never have a bad meal at Lumiere; in fact, you will only have fantastic meals that leave you wanting to come back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent: a must tryDragonfly60VIPDined on 8/24/2014This is a sweet spot and neighborhood gem that serves outstanding food, wine parings, excellent service and ambience. Every dish was fresh and bursting with flavor. Try fixed price menu too. Beautiful food presented and incredible parings of wine that make indulging so easy. If you haven't been here, add it to your list of "musts".Special Features:
- A Classy Eatery938raceVIPDined on 8/24/2014Food is fresh, prepared with creativity and panache. Menu somewhat limited. I would not have paired the striped bass with a beet puree, a bit too bold for me I'm afraid. Service is friendly and relaxed.Special Features:
- Another Successful Lumiere DinnerKlinkDined on 8/23/2014All of our platters were delicious (great chicken!) and beautifully presented. The chocolate dessert with peanut butter mousse was sensational! The lamb option on the menu was not for us, so our choices were a bit limited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.