1293 Washington St.
West Newton, MA 02465Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lumiererestaurant.com/
- Phone: (617) 244-9199
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm; Friday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Saturday 5pm - 10pm Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Michael Leviton
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Lumiere Catering offers an array of options for your catered event, from an intimate dinner in your home to a large corporate function. Please contact the restaurant for further information.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a semi-private dining room with capacity for a maximum of 35 guests. Menus begin at $75 per person for a 3 course dinner with 2 pre-selected choices per course. Guests may also select passed hors d'oeuvres and specialty cocktails for a pre-dinner cocktail hour. Our menu changes daily and with the seasons depending on availability of products.
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer DeLeonardis 6172449199
- Special Events: Lumiere features a monthly dinner that highlights local and sustainable food and beverage. Speakers will be on hand to discuss the benefits of sustainable eating and a portion of the proceeds will go to The Chef's Collaborative.
- Cross Street: Waltham St.
- Public Transit: Green line - Woodland; Commuter Rail - West Newton
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: There is a divided lot directly behind Lumiere, next to the Post Office. You may park anywhere in either lot, including the post office spaces after 5:30pm. There is also ample street parking.
A word from Lumiere
Lumiere is a casually elegant, upscale neighborhood bistro featuring modern-French cuisine, an extensive wine list as well as a full bar. We also offer a semi-private dining room that can comfortably accommodate up to 35 guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Lumiere - Best Restaurants in Newton ›
Lumiere reviews from OpenTable diners
173 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (132)special occasion (112)neighborhood gem (100)romantic (62)notable wine list (33)good for groups (12)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- enjoyed meal, did not love it.RBNewtonDined on 11/19/2014enjoyed meal, did not love it. Sycamore is less expensive and I enjoy their food moreSpecial Features:
- Excellent tasting menu with wine pairingJMcGDined on 11/18/2014Tasting menu was memorable. Dishes were well-prepared and presented. Scallop with fall vegetable theme (winter squash base; roasted seeds) was noteworthy. Lamb was perfect. Wine pairings were thoughtful and appropriate. Good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceSoSoDined on 11/14/2014From the first bite to the very last, an absolute delight....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/13/2014While the food was very good, the service was not at the level expected or received in the past. It took a very long time for the waitress to come over to get our drink orders. Our plates were not cleared in a timely manner. Also, it took what seemed a long time for our wine, apps and dinners to come out. It seemed as if they were short staffedSpecial Features:
- A perfect eveningFussyDined on 11/11/2014My wife and I and two other couples had a perfect evening at Lumiere. The ambience is quiet, elegant and conducive to good conversation. The service was impeccable -- friendly, efficient and unobtrusive. The food was outstanding. My wife and I split the tuna tartare appetizer which was delicious. Then we both ordered the sea scallops and I figured I'd get at least one of hers, but no such luck. We both finished every morsel on our plates. Others in our party had the trio of lamb which they raved about. I think this is the best restaurant in greater Boston, superior to the big name, highly praised places downtown and in Cambridge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceJls1Dined on 11/8/2014We took a friend for her birthday. Everyone ordered a different dish and all loved their food. Service was friendly and helpful. We hoped to return soon.Special Features:
- Lumiere Restaurant -Newton,MASW2014Dined on 11/8/2014I expected much better food for this price. Everything was to salty, but it was not the main reason for my evaluation of the poor quality and taste. Can not recommend Lumiere to others.
- Great good but lacks ambianceCuisineDined on 11/7/2014The food here was amazing, service terrific but ambiance was lacking for such a high priced restaurant. The bar is also tiny.Special Features:
- AccommodatingAllisonVIPDined on 11/5/2014I went on a review from a colleague. I have a gluten allergy and the waiter/chef were very accommodating and provided some really tasty alternatives. The food was really farm to table but left my boyfriend and I a bit hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/5/2014We have been going to Lumiere since it opened. It has kept it's distinguished menu, cheerful but not noisy environment, and terrific crew. I'm always glad to have a special occasion there, especially enjoy their scallops.Special Features:
- Don't botherPMGLDined on 11/1/2014The restaurant is noisy, and the food is overpriced and nothing special. When I placed the reservation I asked for a special table to celebrate my wedding anniversary, but the request was completely ignored. Upon being seated in a cramped spot, I asked could we have the empty quieter table in one of the corners I was told "oh those are reserved." Never again!
- Very good for the areadogbaby60VIPDined on 11/1/2014Very good particularly for the W. Newton/Newton area, but I wouldn't say it's on par with a true foodie destination. Menu is small, the ingredients are excellent quality, flavors are complex and interesting enough, wine list is small and lacking in some areas. The bluefish pate is excellent, lamb three ways was delicious and cooked the way I requested and service was attentive and just right. I will continue to return but only occasionally. So many higher level options to try in the city.Special Features:
- as always... wonderfulanonymousVIPDined on 11/1/2014The food is always wonderful, the service attentive but not overbearing and the short ribs were divine!Special Features:
- excellent meal, excellent servicerangers9394Dined on 10/31/2014Very personable waiter. Outstanding menu options with a nice selection of specials. Outstanding scallop appetizer with coriander and a perfectly cooked swordfish entree.Special Features:
- RustyDined on 10/31/2014We had a most enjoyable dinner, the waiter was knowledgeable and provided great service and recommendations.Special Features:
- SuzyQ111Dined on 10/30/2014The food was absolutley incredible for all four of us. Particulary soy misao crusted sword fish---sublime!Special Features:
- A very enjoyable eveningwestenderVIPDined on 10/29/2014Lumiere is wonderful. We tried Lumiere soon after it opened, 16 years ago, and were very impressed, but for some reason we did not visit again until last night. It is still amazing, everything - décor, service, FOOD! We had the best swordfish ever, and our friends agreed that their choices were the best. We will not wait another 15 years to return!Special Features:
- Always greatCraigDined on 10/25/2014Lumiere was wonderful once again. The tasting menu provided the perfect opportunity to have an even greater range of what I think is the chef's greatest seasonal repetoir. The scallops were the typical perfection, and a lamb two ways gave two wonderfully different representations of the virtues of the meat. Most satisfying however was the waiter's ability to come up with an alternative to the unfortunately persistent offering of SOUR CREAM (!?!) sorbet to the otherwise divine apple tart. His suggestion of honey marscapone was near perfect as an accompaniment. Well done!Special Features:
- foodfunDined on 10/25/2014Wonderful dining , one item was off (spinach too salty), handled so pleasantlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply lovelyHealthspeakerVIPDined on 10/25/2014Tim was our attentive and helpful lead member of the wait staff. Food was simply lovely all the way around. Bluefish pate is a must. I was hosting a well known person in my profession and Lumiere made me look good. Thank you. We will be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/22/2014Lumiere is a gem of a dining experience. The food is always consistently tops. I've dined there for years & love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why don't we eat here more oftenJLaupDined on 10/21/2014We've eaten here 3-4 times since it opened. It always has wonderfully unique but not silly dishes. Everything is delicious. The service is friendly and not stuffy. I feel like I ought to come once a month. Maybe, they could add a few more dessert options. Perhaps some local artisan ice creams.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lumière IS a bright lightjsandVIPDined on 10/18/2014A perfect evening of celebrating a friend's 70th b-day- scallop appetizer in a light squash/coriander sauce with pumpkin seeds- creative and richly flavorful, tuna tartare with a slightly spicy vinaigrette with flavors of avocado and ginger and refreshing cucumber. The swordfish main with shiitake mushrooms was unlike any other swordfish- tender and sweet-fleshed, the lamb duo was a little too salty sausage and perfectly done sliced lamb from the bone. We splurged with an order of fries for the table- perfectly crunchy outside and lovely potato flavor inside AND the spinach- not too creamy or overdone, a rarity. The apple pastry for dessert was a true winner- buttery and not too sweet. The tasting menu for the b-day celebrant-flawless.Special Features:
- Inventive gemOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/17/2014One of our favorites. Always new way of thinking and preparing. Done well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointingfoodcritic23Dined on 10/15/2014Despite good reviews on the web, this place is overrated. The food is good but not great, the service was awful (45 min to get an appetizer...) and the price is very high for what you get. I will not go back.
- Great MealRichDined on 10/15/2014Very unpretencious from the exterior. Small menue with very inventive offerings, all well prepared, with great service and a very nice wine and cocktail list. A great choice for a very good meal without having to travel to Boston.Special Features:
- October DelightsKlinkDined on 10/15/2014Loved the squash soup and scallops with pumpkin seeds. Sitting in a booth with friends was very pleasant, and we appreciated the extra desserts we were offered to make up for a few slow patches in service. Food here is consistently delicious, and we like the menu variations and options (prix fixe, tasting menu) in addition to the fresh, seasonal fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No parkingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/11/2014There is only one thing that kept me from giving Lumiere five stars... Lack of parking. It's tough to find so get there early and have some quarters. The meal is worth the trouble!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really special mealCrowetacDined on 10/11/2014Had the Chefs Tasting menu. Each dish was scrumptious. The chef graciously substituted bluefish for the lamb entree. We have had the tasting menu before, but felt these portions were even smaller than usual. Also we felt slightly rushed. It was a Saturday night, so they may have been expecting a really full house.Special Features:
- Dinner for TwoLuv2eatDined on 10/11/2014Scallop special was phenomenal-best scallops I've ever had! Cooked perfectly-Asian infused Autumn dish: puréed squash w/ fresh cilantro, vinaigrette made with homemade curry, roasted pumpkin seeds (were they brushed w/ the vinaigrette before they were roasted?). Beautifully presented, absolutely deliscious. My swordfish was cooked to perfection but was too salty. The homemade lamb sausage was excellent! The apple Tarte with sour creme sorbet was superb. Chocolate cake was excellent, the peanut butter sorbet that came with it was intense. Peanut butter lovers would love it. I would have preferred just a 'hint' of peanut butter. Excellent wines by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodLexingtoncustomerDined on 10/8/2014the chicken entree was so delicious and the chicken was fresh and flavorful. Wine was a little pricey but good selections. The seating was a little crowded but the service more than made up for it. They offered a complementary welcome appetizer as well. The swordfish and the pannacotta were delicious. Perhaps one of the best French restaurants in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExcellentPickettdogDined on 10/8/2014I have been to Lumiere approximately 6 or 7 times over the past few years. The food is always excellent, the staff is always cordial and very professional. I count on Lumiere to be a great dining experience, and it never disappoints. Lumiere is one of my 'go to' choices for business dinners when I need to ensure that everything will be outstanding.Special Features:
- Too Close for ComfortDiner4PrivacyVIPDined on 10/7/2014With all the positives going for Lumiere, I would like to see some thought given to providing diners more space at tables for two. They are far too close for any private conversation and for tuning out conversation from tables on either side.Special Features:
- Great!qwertyDined on 10/3/2014I went on a date to this restaurant and had the tasting menu - it was perfect.Special Features:
- GREAT SPOT!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014Meal was well executed, dc and I both had steak which was cooked to order (med rare and medium). Appetizer portion of pasta was great too!Lovely spot, will be back!!!Special Features:
- Great as AlwaysMEHFDined on 9/26/2014This is the only top-level restaurant in the Boston area where you can get a table on fairly short notice, I guess because it's a bit out of the way.Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/24/2014The service was extraordinary. The food was very well described to us while we were ordering. We were given a taste of the wine before deciding which one to order. We were just very well taken care of.Special Features:
- A perfect spot for haute cuisinebob0314VIPDined on 9/23/2014Three of us spent three hours at Lumiere, eating, drinking, talking.The service was impeccable All the food we ate was delicious -- the owner, Michael Levin, is a locavore who stresses local produce. The wine list has excellent choices.Special Features:
- oh.my.god.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/23/2014Lovely beautiful delicious food. Atmosphere is very elegant but not too stuffy. Every aspect of the plate is amazing. Went here for our anniversary and if everyone celebrated another year of marriage this way the divorce rate would dwindle dramatically.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencePlanter11Dined on 9/20/2014We had a lovely dinner at Lumiere on a recent Saturday night. Food was beautifully presented and delicious. Service was attentive but not obtrusive, and my water glass was always kept filled, which i appreciated. Dessert menu seemed a little limited, sorbets and parfaits, and offered way too many after-dinner drinks, so we passed. But it was a very pleasing and satisfying experience. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.