1293 Washington St.
West Newton, MA 02465Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lumiererestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6172449199
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm; Friday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Saturday 5pm - 10pm Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Michael Leviton
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Lumiere Catering offers an array of options for your catered event, from an intimate dinner in your home to a large corporate function. Please contact the restaurant for further information.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a semi-private dining room with capacity for a maximum of 35 guests. Menus begin at $75 per person for a 3 course dinner with 2 pre-selected choices per course. Guests may also select passed hors d'oeuvres and specialty cocktails for a pre-dinner cocktail hour. Our menu changes daily and with the seasons depending on availability of products.
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer DeLeonardis 6172449199
- Special Events: Lumiere features a monthly dinner that highlights local and sustainable food and beverage. Speakers will be on hand to discuss the benefits of sustainable eating and a portion of the proceeds will go to The Chef's Collaborative.
- Cross Street: Waltham St.
- Public Transit: Green line - Woodland; Commuter Rail - West Newton
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: There is a divided lot directly behind Lumiere, next to the Post Office. You may park anywhere in either lot, including the post office spaces after 5:30pm. There is also ample street parking.
A word from Lumiere
Lumiere is a casually elegant, upscale neighborhood bistro featuring modern-French cuisine, an extensive wine list as well as a full bar. We also offer a semi-private dining room that can comfortably accommodate up to 35 guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Lumiere - Best Restaurants in Newton ›
Lumiere reviews from OpenTable diners
179 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (127)fit for foodies (126)neighborhood gem (97)romantic (78)notable wine list (30)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (4)hot spot (3)good for groups (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Lives up to reputationTrauteDined on 8/16/2014Very good food, unobtrusive but alert service. Interesting cocktails.Special Features:
- SNOOKIEVIPDined on 8/16/2014The food is consistently good. Yogurt dessert was fabulous. The chairs are hard wood and uncomfortable. The service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luminousOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014This remains a classic, brilliant food prepared with amazing attention to every detail accompanied by friendly but polished and professional service. The wine list is fairly short but very eclectic and well chosen.Special Features:
- What a GemLuvBostonDined on 8/11/2014We have been enjoying this restaurant for a couple years and the food and service is always great. It's so nice to see a restaurant maintain same great quality over time which is not always the case. Kudos to Lumiere!!Special Features:
- EdOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/9/2014Outstanding as usual. The steak is to die for. Comes from an organic farm in western Mass.Special Features:
- Our experience at LumiereNotAFoodSnobDined on 8/8/2014I took my husband here for his 30th birthday since we don't dine at expensive restaurants much. We're not foodies - so I'm sure a food snob would review differently than me, but basically, I thought the food was overpriced for what it was. I got the chicken, he got the blue fish - the portions were small and flavor was good but certainly not worth the money we spent on it. The host and waiter were very friendly and considerate. However, we will not be dining here again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014A really nice experience. It was a $200 evening, so not inexpensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatihartDined on 8/7/2014Lumiere is our go to restaurant for a nice dinner out. The food is always excellent and creative for much better prices than in Boston. Service is kind, upbeat and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- LovelyNSBostonVIPDined on 8/5/2014Fantastic food, great service, very attentive, very knowledgeable. My children and my wife have food allergies and they took care of us splendidly. on street parking was a challenge. And our table was between the service station and the bathrooms so not a great situation. Even then a really wonderful night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DonTDined on 8/5/2014The selections on the chef's tasting menu didn't come up to the usually excellent level. The a la carte was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but teeny tiny portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/3/2014All the food was excellent, but the sizes were pitiful. One scallop $18, 3 bite size pieces of lamb $35. Kinda ridiculous.Special Features:
- A special mealRichDined on 8/2/2014This was a special meal for us and we weren't disappointed. Although the menu isn't large, there was enough variety to satisfy many tastes. Moreover, there was a lot of flexibility, e.g. preparing appetizers as main courses. The service was attentive without being overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!berhaneDined on 7/27/2014Great service, great food made with great ingredients. The staff are professional and nice and friendly, and not over the top, and the food is tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ambience!LindaDined on 7/25/2014My husband and I celebrated our anniversary here and the food and ambience is great! Service was pretty good overall. I left a special request for a booth since it was our anniversary and they remembered so that was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live2EatVIPDined on 7/24/2014A wonderful special occasion place. Atmosphere is elegant and comfortable. Just fine to be dressed up or casually dressed. So nice to have white tablecloths that aren't covered with butcher paper! We had a bavette steak and the duck breast, both cooked perfectly - tender, juicy, flavorful. Scallops and pork terrine were both excellent too. Big and little bursts of flavor throughout, the accoutrements for each dish kept our palates happily intrigued and entertained.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LumieregoodeatsDined on 7/23/2014We have wanted to go to Lumiere for a long time. We had sampled some items at the Boston Wine Expo in February and loved what we had. The dinner was up to our expectations. The waitress was great. We loved the informal atmosphere. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just lovelyMuckyjdeanDined on 7/20/2014Wonderful food and service. Well worth the price. Wait staff very knowledgable and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatGailVIPDined on 7/14/2014I love Lumiere - one of the best french restaurants I have ever been to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newton gemDinnerDined on 7/12/2014A real restaurant in Newton w/good food, wine & service. The fish dishes were excellent. Worth a visit or two. Do not bel. the newer places in Newton can really compare to Lumiere.
- Nice server, food mehNightOutDined on 7/11/2014Expected more from this place. Visited after movie at W. Newton theater and ordered the striped bass. Portion was quite small and the top was so chared that I had to cut it with my knife -- yet it wasn't that hot. Seemed like it had been left under a heat lamp too long. It was served on combo of two sauces -- one a think creamy sauce and the other a strong tomato-based sauce -- which did not complement each other let alone the fish. I won't belabor this -- place just wasn't that good. If you're seeing a movie at W Newton, you may want to try one of the other restaurants in the area.
- Happy Anniversary!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/11/2014My wife and I were celebrating our anniversary and we're looking for a place that had great food and ambiance. Lumiere exceeded expectations! Our server Luke was excellent, food was fantastic, wine pairings wonderful! I would definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/9/2014We recently had a delicious dinner at Lumiere. We had not been there in years and decided to try it again. Our party of 4 all had a delicious meal. We especially loved the house salad with a wonderful orange vinagerette dressing. The dressing was so good we asked our waiter for the recipe and by the end of the meal we had it. Two of us had the chicken dish that was so flavorful, another had the striped bass and another the scallops, all raved about their meals. We finished it off with a refreshing watermelon sorbet. So glad we rediscovered Lumiere, we will definitley go back again.Special Features:
- Big city dining in the suburbsWriteonVIPDined on 7/8/2014We celebrated a big anniversary at Lumiere. Everyone was most attentive and made us feel very special. The dishes were creative and delicious. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Good foodgoodfoodDined on 7/1/2014We always have great food at Lumiere. We usually go for special occasions. Prices on the higher side but worth every penny. Also like the decor and service very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerDamyDined on 6/29/2014As is tradition for my husband & I We planned a night out @ lumiere last Sunday to celebrate our 48th anniversary. The food was good as usual but we had some mix ups with what we ordered and what was delivered. The waitress was new and the staff bent over backwards to makeup for the mistakes . Also when we got the bill they had compted a few things that we ordered . All that said I do not think the fish main courses were as good as in the past. The cold asparagus vichyssoise w/ house smoked bluefish salad was superb! The yogurt panna cotta & the warm rhubarb/strawberry crostata w/ sourcream sorbet were as well fabulous!! Bluefish Snd sea bass mains were just ok. But definitely reccomend, they are usually pretty consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luscious dininggoldenploverDined on 6/27/2014Lumiere isn't about the atmosphere, scenery or scene, it's about the food, and our meal was exquisite. In particular we'd recommend anything on the menu that comes out of the sea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- attentive service, delectable foodNotafrenchmanDined on 6/26/2014You really do get what you pay for at lumiere. I reserved through open table and added a note about my special occasion. Wasn't really expecting them to pay attention to it, but they did, and very nicely too. Service was flawless, food was absolutely delicious and unusual.Special Features:
- DisappointedDrMoDined on 6/26/2014It was an ok meal, but not stellar. Poor value for the money.
- Hidden in front of the post officemadredelobolocoDined on 6/25/2014Lumiere could easily be passed by externally. Inside the decor is upscale French bistro and the food is of downtown quality. We had the 5 course tasting menu with wine pairings for 3 people. They were willing to have 2 of our guests have alternates for the scallop course - and their soft shell crab was superb. Wine pairing was particularly well done - although I would have preferred a red or a port with the cheese course rather than the sweet white served. Service is friendly and prompt - surprisingly though the servers' uniform was more downscale than the place deserves. We will be back, particularly for occasions.Special Features:
- OutstandingnewtoncentrerezDined on 6/22/2014Every single dish was absolutely delicious and beautiful. Staff superb. Excellent cocktails, wine, little extras. Five people - all very happy. Greatness!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!gertrudeandheadcliffDined on 6/21/2014We knew what to expect because we'd been to Lumiere before. And our expectations were actually exceeded. We had the tasting menu with the accompanying wine tasting and everything was absolutely amazing - every bite was a "Wow!". A very nice way to celebrate my Mother's birthday, and Lumiere accommodated my special wishes to accommodate her needs. The service was relaxed and professional, and although there were one or two minor hiccups (once not clearing plates before bringing new plates), the timing and attention was just perfect. This restaurant is a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best!!GailVIPDined on 6/20/2014My favorite restaurant - consistently wonderful! The menu has great variety, the servers know the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazedscopelianosDined on 6/20/2014When you walk into the restaurant, you come to realize that it's very unassuming. Even the waiters are unassuming, but they are helpful and knowledgeable. And then there is the food. From the chef's halibut tartare, as a welcome surprise, to the dessert, each was a symphony for the taste palates. We had the, Vermont Veal & Pork Country Terrine, snd the halibut tartare, as appertzers. The main course was the Mustard Crusted Falmouth Bluefish, and the BN Ranch Grassfed Beef Bavette Steak. The french fries that came with the steak,were just out of this world. For dessert we shared the Greek Yogurt Panna Cotta. When I tasted it, I close my eyes just out of pure contentment, and satisfaction. What a dining experience!!!!Special Features:
- Perfect dinnerShaynaVIPDined on 6/19/2014We wanted to dine at a reasonably quiet restaurant with out of town friends. It seems to have become difficult to find a place where you can have a conversation with table mates without shouting at one another. Lumiere provided a peaceful, relaxed environment with absolutely wonderful food. Two of us had the soft shell crab, one of my seasonal favorites. Delicious. Another had the duck breast which looked beautiful and reportedly tasted great. My husband had the bluefish which he felt was good, but nothing special. We shared a couple of the strawberry-rhubarb tarts that were the evening special. Melt in your mouth yummy. Although quite expensive, Lumiere is a fabulous special occasion restaurant.Special Features:
- Still great ....OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/19/2014Chef/owner Michael Leviton --- who you will actually still see on the line --- continues to put out outstanding interpretations of French bistro fare at this long time neighborhood favorite. Nice to see a chef who has expanded his portfolio (which now includes Area Four in Cambridge) keep his hands on the rudder. You can't go wrong with any of the carefully curated menu selections. Great ingredients, simply prepared. Good wine list.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedFoodisFunDined on 6/15/2014At first glance I was not wowed by the menu, but after ordering an appetizer, 2 entrees, a side, and dessert we were beyond impressed. The chef really knows what he is doing. All the dishes were prepared perfectly and left us eager to come back. My only suggestion would be to turn down the lights slightly and add comfortable chairs with the booths.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TobyRVIPDined on 6/14/2014I had not been to Lumiere in over six months when I dined there recently. Things had changed: the menu was different, there were new members of the wait staff but the overall experience had not changed: the ingredients were of the highest quality, the dishes were well-designed, the execution was as close to perfect as can be achieved and the service was exactly what I wanted, friendly and attentive but not hovering. There are a lot of fine restaurants in the greater Boston area; I would rank Lumiere in the upper echelon.Special Features:
- Great FindhsiegalVIPDined on 6/14/2014The inside of the restaurant is nice. The service was welcoming and knowledgeable. The food was truly outstanding. Cant wait to return.Special Features:
- Prixe fix w/ wine pairings a mustjacksonsauntieDined on 6/11/2014We went mid-week to celebrate college graduation. The food was simple, straightforward and the prep emphasized the freshness and quality of the food. Two of us had the 3-course fixed price menu with the paired wines. That was the way to go. It's a good deal at $60 and I've never done that before. Having the paired wine for each course really enhanced the overall experience. The food is simple and straight forward (had the terrine to start and the roasted chicken.) Others at the table ordered the bluefish and the pork chops. I tasted the pork and it was tender and flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lumiere is the bestZoyaDined on 6/11/2014I have been coming to Lumiere since the year it opened. It never disappointed. It's my favorite place and I will keep coming and recommending it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.