1293 Washington St.
West Newton, MA 02465Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lumiererestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6172449199
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm; Friday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Saturday 5pm - 10pm Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Michael Leviton
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Lumiere Catering offers an array of options for your catered event, from an intimate dinner in your home to a large corporate function. Please contact the restaurant for further information.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a semi-private dining room with capacity for a maximum of 35 guests. Menus begin at $75 per person for a 3 course dinner with 2 pre-selected choices per course. Guests may also select passed hors d'oeuvres and specialty cocktails for a pre-dinner cocktail hour. Our menu changes daily and with the seasons depending on availability of products.
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer DeLeonardis 6172449199
- Special Events: Lumiere features a monthly dinner that highlights local and sustainable food and beverage. Speakers will be on hand to discuss the benefits of sustainable eating and a portion of the proceeds will go to The Chef's Collaborative.
- Cross Street: Waltham St.
- Public Transit: Green line - Woodland; Commuter Rail - West Newton
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: There is a divided lot directly behind Lumiere, next to the Post Office. You may park anywhere in either lot, including the post office spaces after 5:30pm. There is also ample street parking.
A word from Lumiere
Lumiere is a casually elegant, upscale neighborhood bistro featuring modern-French cuisine, an extensive wine list as well as a full bar. We also offer a semi-private dining room that can comfortably accommodate up to 35 guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Lumiere - Best Restaurants in Newton ›
Lumiere reviews from OpenTable diners
194 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (139)fit for foodies (138)neighborhood gem (109)romantic (84)notable wine list (34)good for groups (5)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)scenic view (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Perfect ExperienceBoboDined on 9/11/2014Every serving was delicious. The corn soup was unusual and good. The Blue Fish was tasty and the Dessert special. My wife particularly enjoyed the lamb. Service was very attentive and enthusiasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealNoelDined on 9/9/2014Went back to Lumiere for my wife's birthday after several years' absence. Good as ever! My bluefish was delicious; her pasta with lobster exquisite. Service was friendly and prompt. And the cost was very reasonable!Special Features:
- Tasting Menu was wonderfuljohnrobDined on 9/6/2014Interesting and flavorful with excellent wine pairings. Quite expensive, not sure that value = price paid. Table was ready promptly at 8:15, the time of the reservation. Larry and Renee were exceptional, attentive and enjoyable to interact with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent All AroundOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2014We had a fabulous dinner and thoroughly enjoyed a birthday celebration at Lumiere. The wait staff was knowledgeable and friendly, not intrusive, and we enjoyed a special soup from the chef at the beginning of the meal. The flavors and fresh ingredients of the dishes are used creatively in the excellently prepared food. We love the light and decor of the restaurant; the only reason for one less star for "ambiance" is the row of tables close together in the upper level. It keeps people away because people dislike being seated so close to others. Perhaps removing even one would make that row more appealing. I hope they will advertise the change, if it's made - I have some friends who would return. Keep up the good work, Lumiere. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hhwdsfarnsworthVIPDined on 9/5/2014Another delicious meal. Lumiere is consistently excellent, one of our favorite restaurants in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodDeliloverDined on 9/4/2014Lumiere has remained great for all the years it has been open, no dips or bad spells that I have experienced. I love the décor, and as my husband and I noted, everyone was dressed appropriately for a "nice" restaurant, no shorts and flip flops. It enhances the dining experience. The amuse bouche and the little cookies are and added treat to a really good meal.Special Features:
- DisappointingdineoutoftenDined on 9/3/2014Took a friend for her birthday. I eat out frequently and last time at Lumiere was a treat. This time service was awkward -- one nervous, unoccupied waiter kept clearing dishes and drinks before we were finished. For price expected exceptional taste, food was good not great. Dessert menu was so uninspiring we left and went to Cabot's for ice cream for dessert -- which was delicious! Won't rush back!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Have been going to lumiere for years always outstanding in food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- meadowlark27Dined on 8/30/2014We introduced friends to Lumiere who have very discriminating taster. The steak for 2 was wonderful. Cooked perfectly. Scallops were slightly undercooked. Overall, a 1st rate dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef Michael Leviton is a treasureOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/29/2014Chef Michael Leviton is a Boston treasure. He stopped by our table to make sure everything was perfect, and it was.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceMarekPDined on 8/28/2014Visiting my son at BC - wanted to find a nice place to have family dinner before school starts. Excellent dining experience, good wine, nice atmosphere. Not cheep but enjoyed every minute. Great, personal service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oasis of excellenceVerdedinerDined on 8/26/2014By far, the best restaurant in the area. Seasonal ingredients wonderfully prepared. I had two appetizers -- which satisfied me completely. I'll return to Lumiere very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atmosphere, food, winenannarellaDined on 8/25/2014We had a great dinner experience at Lumiere. The waitstaff is solicitous without being stuffy, and the room is elegant and calm. And the food! We had the prix-fixe menu choices with wine pairings, and we ate and drank very well. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/25/2014Lumiere is in its own class. The food creations are amazing and always are unique and ever changing. You will never have a bad meal at Lumiere; in fact, you will only have fantastic meals that leave you wanting to come back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent: a must tryDragonfly60VIPDined on 8/24/2014This is a sweet spot and neighborhood gem that serves outstanding food, wine parings, excellent service and ambience. Every dish was fresh and bursting with flavor. Try fixed price menu too. Beautiful food presented and incredible parings of wine that make indulging so easy. If you haven't been here, add it to your list of "musts".Special Features:
- A Classy Eatery938raceVIPDined on 8/24/2014Food is fresh, prepared with creativity and panache. Menu somewhat limited. I would not have paired the striped bass with a beet puree, a bit too bold for me I'm afraid. Service is friendly and relaxed.Special Features:
- Another Successful Lumiere DinnerKlinkDined on 8/23/2014All of our platters were delicious (great chicken!) and beautifully presented. The chocolate dessert with peanut butter mousse was sensational! The lamb option on the menu was not for us, so our choices were a bit limited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way overpriced for the experiencePAS2539VIPDined on 8/23/2014We haven't been to Lumiere in over a year. Now I know why! The quality of the food is good but not overwhelmingly so. The quantity in minimal. Scallop appetizer consisted of 2 scallops for $18. Lamp ($35) consisted of 4 slices of meat and a couple of lamb sausages. Sides are an additional $8. My husband's bavette steak was equally small and costly ($29). I'm sorry, but I can't recommend this restaurant, and I certainly won't return anytime soon.
- Great FoodDonGoyo13Dined on 8/22/2014Had dinner with my wife and the food was great. It is expensive but worth the trip for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good American/French foodPaulDined on 8/22/2014Wine list is good but somewhat overpriced. Food is very good, service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/21/2014Wonderful meal- dishes unique, excellent service. We will be going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently best Boston restaurantPsdlnVIPDined on 8/21/2014My personal favorite in the Boston area. Not flashy, but delicious, wonderful food in a pleasant setting. Great service. After many visits I have never been disappointed. A gem and worth a trip. Free parking.Special Features:
- aug 2014 dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/20/2014never not had a great meal there for many years.. tasting menu is always a no-brainer choiceSpecial Features:
- Lives up to reputationTrauteDined on 8/16/2014Very good food, unobtrusive but alert service. Interesting cocktails.Special Features:
- SNOOKIEVIPDined on 8/16/2014The food is consistently good. Yogurt dessert was fabulous. The chairs are hard wood and uncomfortable. The service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luminousOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014This remains a classic, brilliant food prepared with amazing attention to every detail accompanied by friendly but polished and professional service. The wine list is fairly short but very eclectic and well chosen.Special Features:
- Best I Could FindZQueDined on 8/12/2014I work in the area and my mom was coming into town. I was recommended the restaurant by a coworker as a nice to place to go, but really I couldn't find any other places in the area close to Lumiere. It was great food with a small menu; what you would expect really from a higher-class restaurant. However, I would describe the restaurant more as Upper-middle class (not that this is bad, but it wasn't overly luxurious). The waitstaff wore jeans at least 30% of the time and the feel was very laid back for service. I wasn't particularly impressed by the bar or the bartender. It is a small bar, but the bartender seemed to be focused on assisting the waitstaff, not his guests. In fact a dirty tray was place in front of me as I waited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a GemLuvBostonDined on 8/11/2014We have been enjoying this restaurant for a couple years and the food and service is always great. It's so nice to see a restaurant maintain same great quality over time which is not always the case. Kudos to Lumiere!!Special Features:
- EdOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/9/2014Outstanding as usual. The steak is to die for. Comes from an organic farm in western Mass.Special Features:
- Our experience at LumiereNotAFoodSnobDined on 8/8/2014I took my husband here for his 30th birthday since we don't dine at expensive restaurants much. We're not foodies - so I'm sure a food snob would review differently than me, but basically, I thought the food was overpriced for what it was. I got the chicken, he got the blue fish - the portions were small and flavor was good but certainly not worth the money we spent on it. The host and waiter were very friendly and considerate. However, we will not be dining here again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014A really nice experience. It was a $200 evening, so not inexpensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatihartDined on 8/7/2014Lumiere is our go to restaurant for a nice dinner out. The food is always excellent and creative for much better prices than in Boston. Service is kind, upbeat and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- LovelyNSBostonVIPDined on 8/5/2014Fantastic food, great service, very attentive, very knowledgeable. My children and my wife have food allergies and they took care of us splendidly. on street parking was a challenge. And our table was between the service station and the bathrooms so not a great situation. Even then a really wonderful night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DonTDined on 8/5/2014The selections on the chef's tasting menu didn't come up to the usually excellent level. The a la carte was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but teeny tiny portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/3/2014All the food was excellent, but the sizes were pitiful. One scallop $18, 3 bite size pieces of lamb $35. Kinda ridiculous.Special Features:
- A special mealRichDined on 8/2/2014This was a special meal for us and we weren't disappointed. Although the menu isn't large, there was enough variety to satisfy many tastes. Moreover, there was a lot of flexibility, e.g. preparing appetizers as main courses. The service was attentive without being overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!berhaneDined on 7/27/2014Great service, great food made with great ingredients. The staff are professional and nice and friendly, and not over the top, and the food is tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ambience!LindaDined on 7/25/2014My husband and I celebrated our anniversary here and the food and ambience is great! Service was pretty good overall. I left a special request for a booth since it was our anniversary and they remembered so that was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live2EatVIPDined on 7/24/2014A wonderful special occasion place. Atmosphere is elegant and comfortable. Just fine to be dressed up or casually dressed. So nice to have white tablecloths that aren't covered with butcher paper! We had a bavette steak and the duck breast, both cooked perfectly - tender, juicy, flavorful. Scallops and pork terrine were both excellent too. Big and little bursts of flavor throughout, the accoutrements for each dish kept our palates happily intrigued and entertained.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LumieregoodeatsDined on 7/23/2014We have wanted to go to Lumiere for a long time. We had sampled some items at the Boston Wine Expo in February and loved what we had. The dinner was up to our expectations. The waitress was great. We loved the informal atmosphere. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.