384 Forest Ave #10
Laguna Beach, CA 92651Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://lblumberyard.com/
- Phone: 9497153900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday - Monday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Executive Chef: Armando Ortega
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Located in one of the most historic buildings in downtown Laguna Beach, Lumberyard has something for everyone. The restaurant serves both lunch and dinner and is known for its great American food such as rotisserie chicken, steaks, ribs and seafood.
- Private Party Contact: Cary Redfearn 9497153900
A word from Lumberyard
In 1912, at the bend of Forest Avenue, 23 year old Joe Jahraus opened the Laguna Lumber Company, he and his father(cigar maker, first postmaster and real estate agent) built the beautiful French Normandy building that is here today. Prior to the lumberyard opening, building supplies needed to be dragged in by mule or floated in on the tides, and therefore, Laguna Beach had less than three hundred permanent residences. After the lumberyard opened, the area began to grow at unprecedented rates, transforming it from a tent town into a thriving city. Laguna Lumber operated for seventy three years, sixty two of them in this location and its' architecture, influenced by Joe's tour abroad in World War I, is one of the most significant influences on the town's aesthetic. Half timbers, mud walls and shingled roofs grace many of the downtown storefronts and homes throughout the city because of this landmark. Today, 384 Forest is home to Lumberyard - a contemporary American restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lumberyard reviews from OpenTable diners
196 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (112)fit for foodies (62)great for outdoor dining (61)good for groups (60)special occasion (58)vibrant bar scene (57)great for lunch (53)romantic (28)notable wine list (26)hot spot (25)great for brunch (23)late-night find (17)kid-friendly (16)scenic view (1)Show More
- Excellent Food, Reasonable PriceRussDined on 9/27/2014The Lumberyard is a locals favorite. It is also popular because it is walking distance to the Festival grounds. My Crab & Shrimp Louie was excellent, as was the cerviche. We keep returning because the Lumberyard is reliably good.Special Features:
- GOOD FOR LUNCH BEFORE MATINEEDinedaily7VIPDined on 9/25/2014WE WERE A PARTY OF THREE, BEFORE AN AFTERNOON PLAY AT LAGUNA PLAYHOUSE. GREAT WALKING DISTANCE TO THE THEATER. TWO MEALS WERE GOOD, ONE LESS THAN AVERAGE. IT WAS A TUNA ON SQUASH BREAD. WAY TOO LITTLE TUNA, LOTS OF OTHER FILLERS. WE WOULD GO AGAIN. VERY FEW PEOPLE IN THE RESTAURANT. HAS A VERY NICE LOOKING BAR. WE DID NOT ORDER AT OR FROM THE BAR.
- DinnerSweets123Dined on 9/20/2014Fun place, but sometimes they can miss on the meals. Twice now I have had the most over cooked fish, super dry and well done.
- blandwheelsDined on 9/20/2014My first visit to the lumberyard and now I know why I haven't been there. Not impressed. My kale salad was good but, my parmesan encrusted sole was bland, greasy deep fried yuk. Which was a shame bc the actual fish was fresh and the portion was HUGE I could have eaten it the next night. I do have to say that the service was good and the wine pours exceptional! maybe I just picked the wrong entree :(
- PaulDined on 9/20/2014Attended a play at the Laguna Playhouse. Had dinner before the play with party of 8. Very close to venue. Nice variety on menu. Great service. Overall a very good dinning experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful wild mushroom paniniskeetersteeleDined on 9/18/2014I've been here several times and have enjoyed it each time. On this visit, I had the wild mushroom panini and would come back again and again for that; it was wonderful. Proximity to the Laguna Playhouse is a real plus.
- Food44loverDined on 9/17/2014I TOOK A FRIEND THERE FOR BIRTHDAY DINNER. IT WAS VERY LOVELY. COFFEE AND DINNER WERE VERY GOOD. SERVICE WAS NOT UP TO WHAT IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN. NOT BAD, BUT COULD LHAVVE BEEN BETTER. NEVER OFFERED MORE COFFEE AFTER INITIAL CUP. NOT OFFERED MORE WATER. CHECK WAS LONG TIME COMING.Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014The Lumberyard ROCKS!!! I've been there three times now and each time I have left absolutely thrilled.Special Features:
- Brunch with friendMatthewDined on 9/7/2014Chad was great. Unfortunately we were seated near a noisey family and my friend chose not to move.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Laguna Beach LumberyardJMcGDined on 8/30/2014Restaurant was hot and noisy on Saturday night. We were seated at a booth near patio door away from the bar which helped with the bar noise and hot stuffiness. Waiter talked very quietly. Drinks took forever to come then 1 had to be sent back as overly sweet. Wedge salads were excellent. Entrees were ok. Husband said short ribs were excellent. 1 entrée salad had to be remade to not include Vay shrimp as requested. Overall average experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Laguna Beach ConsistentRobarooDined on 8/28/2014When in Laguna Beach and not seeking a particular cuisine, the Lumberyard is a great spot with traditional, but unique, options for a variety of tastes. Prior to the Pageant of the Masters this week our group enjoyed the starter field greens salad, the dressing and grapes made for excellent flavor. Popular entree choices were the beef stroganoff, meatloaf and short ribs. Happy hour drink prices made for a relaxing time prior to dinner.Special Features:
- Perfect EverytimeFood4ThoughtVIPDined on 8/28/2014I've been to the lumberyard several times now and each time has been great. The food and service are consistently great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Pageant Dining Spot.Since1970Dined on 8/27/2014We picked Lumberyard as our dinner spot before the Pageant of the Masters. We were pleasantly surprised with our choice. The menu had a variety of options. I went with the BBQ Ribs, my wife ordered the Salmon, and my daughter ordered a French Dip Sandwich. My son ordered a petite filet minon off the kids menu! All dishes were excellent. I even tried a couple of their specialty drinks - Omar's Revenge and City Hall - and both were pretty good. After dinner, we made the short stroll down to the Pageant grounds and enjoyed the show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dinner Spot for Pageantrobinhur1Dined on 8/26/2014Hi - Went here for dinner before the Pageant of the Masters. Service and food were excellent. Easy walk to the Laguna Art Festival. The chicken penne with tomato vodka sauce was fabulous. Drinks were also excellent. Hadn't been here for many years and restaurant had different owners but the experience was every bit as good as years ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-Pageant Dinner!ParrotheadDonDined on 8/26/2014I'm not from the area, so I searched for restaurants near Pageant of the Masters. I found this place and decided to get a reservation for the four of us. Service was excellent, food was fantastic, and everything was reasonably priced. I had the French Dip. I was a little fatty, but overall, a great sandwich. I will definitely be going back to try other menu items.Special Features:
- Loved itArtFoodFunDined on 8/25/2014We found this place through Open Table. I based my decision on all of the positive reviews. The food was amazing and the service was excellent. We went on a Friday night during Festival season in Laguna so it was crowded. I will say the noise level was quite loud inside so we asked to be seated on the patio and had a perfect evening. The salmon was great and so was the halibut. We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Good But not GreatBmo1146Dined on 8/25/2014The restaurant was very accommodating when we had to push our reservation a half hour later due to traffic.. We were seated outside, but inside looked much nicer. Our waiter was nice, but not very attentive.. the house salad was drenched in balsamic dressing and being ice cold was clearly plated early and kept in a fridge so the veggies were all wilted...The entree portions are huge, there were 4 of us and we each ordered one of the fish dishes.. all were decent, my Halibut special especially so.Special Features:
- Pageant Convenient & Delicious TooRexlandDined on 8/25/2014Selected Lumberyard for a group of 8 before the Pageant of the Masters - location was perfect. The menu provided a good variety for a group, including recognizable dishes with a bit of a twist. The food was creatively prepared, nicely presented, and delicious. The servers were friendly and professional. We were there for a very early dinner and the noise level was moderate. I would imagine that the noise level would increase as the bar crowd arrives. I would happily return when in Laguna.Special Features:
- food is fantasticTakedailyDined on 8/24/2014And service great but come prepared to yell if its busy the noise level can be really HIGH!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014I chose this restaurant due to ratings, menu and photos I saw online, and proximity to Festival of the Arts. We were two couples there for dinner and we really enjoyed the food and ambience. So glad we went. I had to choose a rating for the noise level, but I honestly don't remember if was quiet or moderate.I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousJeanetteDined on 8/24/2014I like restaurants with smaller menus. They offer something for everyone and perfect each item. We had the vegetable platter, salmon and short ribs. All were cooked to prefection, seasoned well and came out piping hot. It can get a bit loud in the dining area but the music is kept low so you don't have to yell. For the price point, it was great. Service was polite and knew the menu. Good draft list, fantastic wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great before Pageant of the Mastersjwh727Dined on 8/24/2014Very nice dining experience before the Pageant of the Masters. Lumberyard has parking that for an additional fee ($15.00) allows you to park through the Pageant. Very comfortable 15-20 minute to the Festival. Menu varied and everyone of my guests enjoyed the meal and beverages.Good value as well!Special Features:
- love the building!LIZZIETHELIONDined on 8/24/2014I've always wanted to try this place, not sure how many years it's been called Lumberyard .....table was nice, service, okay....I mentioned it was an anniversary when i made the reservations, and nothing was done with that....and then i told the server, and he didn't make a big deal of it. It's a short walk to the Pageant of the Masters, or to the beach, so it's well situated. Most were happy with their food. Me, a foodie, I thought the skirt steak was tender, and good, but it tasted a little too peppery to me. The fried zucchini felt like they were from out of box, asparagus, okay-like i said the others enjoyed their food which was one of the finer steaks, the prime rib sandwich, and one of them, skirt steak like me, and liked it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/23/2014Loved the entire experience! We were a party of 9 and were treated beautifully ! I particularly liked the texted reminder and was able to text back an addition to the party and get an answer!! Great customer service !!Special Features:
- A Laguna beach Diamond RestaurantOCdinerDined on 8/23/2014Visited for dinner before a play. The food and service personnel were truly outstanding. The Beef Strogenoff, Meatloaf and Pot Pies were A+ and best we have had in recent memory. Also easy on the budget. Great value. Atmosphere and wine list also exceeded expectations. Reservations and seating was as requested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!Kneubuhl91Dined on 8/22/2014The food was amazing and the atmosphere was great! Try the corn bread...it's to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantMichelleDined on 8/21/2014Outstanding menu, something for everyone. Quick service and excellent food.Special Features:
- Great dining experiencePapaDined on 8/20/2014Our meals were prepared to perfection. My wife had the halibut and I had the New York steak. Our waitress Sonja suggested a bottle of wine that completed the meal. We would highly recommend the Lumberyard.Special Features:
- LTT8Dined on 8/18/2014We had a group of 7 that reduced to 6 people and it was no problem. We were taken in on time which was important in order to see a show afterwards. Everyone really liked their food and they were flexible and accommodating with special requests. Overall it was a very nice dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good menuImHungryDined on 8/17/2014Excellent menu lots of choices to satisfy everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pageant Dinner SiteRobjones755Dined on 8/17/2014We had tickets to Pageant of the Masters and wanted a site for dinner before the show. This restaurant is only blocks away, so after reviewing the menu on-line, made a reservation. It worked out great and to our surprise, we really enjoyed the food; especially the Beef Stroganoff.Special Features:
- downtown lagunaOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014nicely located in the downtown laguna beach area. The food and service was a good experience, the night we went the restaurant was a bit hot inside and they couldn't seem to get it cooled down due to an air conditioning issue. Other than that, we have visited there before and it has always been a nice dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, attentive serviceKindafondaDined on 8/16/2014Our server (I believe it was Amy) was wonderful. We also enjoyed the ribs, the salmon and the filet of sole. The clam chowder was perhaps the best we've ever had. I personally would have found the inside tables too loud, but the patio seating was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodluvfoodDined on 8/16/2014Went to Lumberyard before going to Laguna Playhouse as it was close and had good reviews. We had the calamari and shrimp ceviche appetizers which were very good. For dinner we had shrimp & crab louis salad, fish and chips and the short ribs. All were very good as well. We were inside so the noise level was high. It took alittle time to get drinks and the waiter forgot to bring the wine list and needed to be reminded; otherwise the service was good. We went back for a drink after the show was over and bar was very busy. Drinks are good and has a good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Arthur GarciatortugaEatsDined on 8/16/2014we go to Laguna Beach every 4 months & the Lumberyard has become our go to spot for Lunch. The friendleness of our server Justin D was fantastic. Also the busboy remembered us from our previous visits & his friendly greeting was great. The only slight complaint is that the way you make your onion rings was different than our last 5 visits. But everything else was fantasticSpecial Features:
- FancyDined on 8/15/2014We were a group of 5 and chose to dine here before the Pageant of the Masters…perfect location and walked right across the street to the show. The service was super friendly and efficient andy the food was super. Lived here for 20 years and never ate at the Lumberyard and was so pleased…will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MauricioDined on 8/14/2014Great place, great location, great food and service.Special Features:
- We would come backOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2014We loved the old Cedar Creek Inn, but it was getting to look tired. The Lumberyard is a good replacement. It can be a little noisy, but otherwise we enjoyed our food, the service and the general atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud to hear and poor servicecraftycookerDined on 8/10/2014Our friends have met at the Lumberyard every year before heading to the Pageant of the Masters event...this may be our last year because the service was poor, the food was cold and tasted like a fast food joint (but worse), and the noise level was so high, we could not even carry on a conversation. After we had wine at the bar, no one even offered additional drinks with our dinner. Overall, I would recommend going somewhere else and skip this restaurant.
- Great evening at the LumberyardOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014My husband and I enjoyed a delicious meal of oysters, salad, grilled artichokes and petrale sole ... everything was perfectly prepared ... we loved every bite! Our meal was enhanced by our knowledgeable and delightful server. A perfect night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.