384 Forest Ave #10
Laguna Beach, CA 92651Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://lblumberyard.com/
- Phone: (949) 715-3900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday - Monday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Executive Chef: Armando Ortega
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Located in one of the most historic buildings in downtown Laguna Beach, Lumberyard has something for everyone. The restaurant serves both lunch and dinner and is known for its great American food such as rotisserie chicken, steaks, ribs and seafood.
- Private Party Contact: Cary Redfearn 9497153900
A word from Lumberyard
In 1912, at the bend of Forest Avenue, 23 year old Joe Jahraus opened the Laguna Lumber Company, he and his father(cigar maker, first postmaster and real estate agent) built the beautiful French Normandy building that is here today. Prior to the lumberyard opening, building supplies needed to be dragged in by mule or floated in on the tides, and therefore, Laguna Beach had less than three hundred permanent residences. After the lumberyard opened, the area began to grow at unprecedented rates, transforming it from a tent town into a thriving city. Laguna Lumber operated for seventy three years, sixty two of them in this location and its' architecture, influenced by Joe's tour abroad in World War I, is one of the most significant influences on the town's aesthetic. Half timbers, mud walls and shingled roofs grace many of the downtown storefronts and homes throughout the city because of this landmark. Today, 384 Forest is home to Lumberyard - a contemporary American restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lumberyard reviews from OpenTable diners
180 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (101)fit for foodies (66)good for groups (60)great for outdoor dining (58)vibrant bar scene (56)special occasion (50)great for lunch (44)hot spot (29)romantic (28)notable wine list (24)great for brunch (20)late-night find (17)kid-friendly (17)scenic view (1)Show More
- NiceBennyDined on 11/8/2014The staff and food were excellent. The Sea Bass is exceptional. The atmosphere is rustic and very nice. It was loud with sporting events on the TVs and children running about from neighboring booths, which gave it a casual ambiance. I will definitely come back, but not when I am seeking a romantic night out.
- friendly placefroseDined on 11/2/2014Laguna Beach's version of Cheers. been here before and will return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PumpkinDined on 11/2/2014Food was okay but not outstanding like we thought it would be.Special Features:
- Consistently GreatdmardierDined on 10/26/2014My 6th visit and Lumberyard hasn't let me down. I always know I can't count on having a fabulous experience at Lumberyard. The braised short ribs are absolutely amazing and a great wine selection. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great Service!AleerVIPDined on 10/25/2014I go to the Lumberyard regularly and the food is consistently good. I like the comfortable atmosphere and the variances in the menus, they have great lunch deals, a nice brunch, and excellent dinner choices. It's American comfort food done well. The absolute best aspect of the Lumberyard is the service. I'm lucky enough to have Chad as my server often. Chad is excellent! He's the superstar of the lumberyard because he's always on point, always friendly, and he even says hello when he's not my server. He's great and a major part of the great experience. Thank you, Chad! The Lumberyard is lucky to have you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Falling off?WongTongDined on 10/24/2014I'm not sure what happened, I first tried this place out early 2014 and greatly enjoyed the menu and preparation several times throughout this year. I just took my parents to dinner there this past weekend, and the quality of the food has fallen significantly. The NE clam chowder, which I loved on prior visits, was severely over-seasoned. I'm of Chinese descent and enjoy heat/spice far beyond what euro-descent Americans can handle, but this was barely edible. The Shrimp-Lobster spring rolls had very little shrimp and lobster, but even worse, it was WAY too salty. The meatloaf entree was good, except for the super-salted sauce that was drizzled around the plate. They would have been better off with a plain, savory gravy.Special Features:
- DianneDined on 10/23/2014As always, site did not disappoint. Had absolutely no complaints. Manager is a hands on person....when our server got bogged down, he was there ready to take our order. No extra wait time...good PR. And food did not disappoint either. Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's all good ....CarolVIPDined on 10/23/2014Fabulous menu with fabulous service. We arrived a little late and told the hostess we were trying to make a play at the Laguna Playhouse. The owner walked over and set into motion incredibly quick service! And to top it off, our servers were were wonderful ... our waitress, Emily,had a wonderful smile the entire time we were there! I love their grilled vegetable plate - its the best I have ever had! If I need some protein, they are always willing to suggest something yummy from the grill: chicken, shrimp, or salmon. My husband loves their pasta dish with chicken - its a little rich for me ... but that's why the Lumberyard is so wonderful... there is something for everybody!Special Features:
- Beefy dishesPlayer4747VIPDined on 10/23/2014My wife had the beef stroganouf and I had the boneless beef short ribs. Both were very well done. And we shared the apple mango tart for dessert. The tart was OK, but so sweet that "tart" referred only to the pastry, not the taste. The Lumberyard is a favorite of ours for pre-theater. (Why is it so trendy for restaurants to be so noisy that you have to shout to be heard on the opposite side of the table?)
- Great placeitwasgoodVIPDined on 10/18/2014I was surprised by the quality of the food with the diversity of the menu. Everyone had a different entree and everyone praised the food. The service was not as good a s the food.Special Features:
- Consistent Good FoodSethVIPDined on 10/17/2014Similar to like a Houston's type restaurant, but food is good and pretty consistent.Special Features:
- Trav4funTrav4funDined on 10/11/2014Very good food, very good service, we really liked the food selections! The interior is very nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- $12 LunchesAleerVIPDined on 10/11/2014And they are excellent lunches! They also have a great bar and excellent service.Special Features:
- luvstocookDined on 10/10/2014The noise level is too high because of the bar. The food is always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegetables on the patioPlayhousestopDined on 10/8/2014Ordered the grilled vegetable plate during happy hour. Consisted of a half artichoke, zucchini, roasted tomatoes, spinach, asparagus and a dipping sauce. Mixed drinks not great, glass of wine might be better choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experiencefoodiefindsDined on 10/4/2014We were referred by a local retail store owner to go to dinner there and we weren't disappointed! The service was excellent and the food was delicious! We were both too full to eat dessert, so we will the next time we come back! It's tucked way back of town, so don't miss it!Special Features:
- Some good, some badcarlseniorDined on 9/30/2014Food is always good and wine list extensive. Noise level is always too high. The booth we were given had a large patch of black tape on my seat. Very low-life for a restaurant in L.B.Special Features:
- ShamanthaDined on 9/29/2014Lumberyard never diassapoints it is one of our favorite places to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Reasonable PriceRussDined on 9/27/2014The Lumberyard is a locals favorite. It is also popular because it is walking distance to the Festival grounds. My Crab & Shrimp Louie was excellent, as was the cerviche. We keep returning because the Lumberyard is reliably good.Special Features:
- GOOD FOR LUNCH BEFORE MATINEEDinedaily7VIPDined on 9/25/2014WE WERE A PARTY OF THREE, BEFORE AN AFTERNOON PLAY AT LAGUNA PLAYHOUSE. GREAT WALKING DISTANCE TO THE THEATER. TWO MEALS WERE GOOD, ONE LESS THAN AVERAGE. IT WAS A TUNA ON SQUASH BREAD. WAY TOO LITTLE TUNA, LOTS OF OTHER FILLERS. WE WOULD GO AGAIN. VERY FEW PEOPLE IN THE RESTAURANT. HAS A VERY NICE LOOKING BAR. WE DID NOT ORDER AT OR FROM THE BAR.
- DinnerSweets123Dined on 9/20/2014Fun place, but sometimes they can miss on the meals. Twice now I have had the most over cooked fish, super dry and well done.
- blandwheelsDined on 9/20/2014My first visit to the lumberyard and now I know why I haven't been there. Not impressed. My kale salad was good but, my parmesan encrusted sole was bland, greasy deep fried yuk. Which was a shame bc the actual fish was fresh and the portion was HUGE I could have eaten it the next night. I do have to say that the service was good and the wine pours exceptional! maybe I just picked the wrong entree :(
- PaulDined on 9/20/2014Attended a play at the Laguna Playhouse. Had dinner before the play with party of 8. Very close to venue. Nice variety on menu. Great service. Overall a very good dinning experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful wild mushroom paniniskeetersteeleDined on 9/18/2014I've been here several times and have enjoyed it each time. On this visit, I had the wild mushroom panini and would come back again and again for that; it was wonderful. Proximity to the Laguna Playhouse is a real plus.
- Food44loverDined on 9/17/2014I TOOK A FRIEND THERE FOR BIRTHDAY DINNER. IT WAS VERY LOVELY. COFFEE AND DINNER WERE VERY GOOD. SERVICE WAS NOT UP TO WHAT IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN. NOT BAD, BUT COULD LHAVVE BEEN BETTER. NEVER OFFERED MORE COFFEE AFTER INITIAL CUP. NOT OFFERED MORE WATER. CHECK WAS LONG TIME COMING.Special Features:
- AwesomepsokoeatsDined on 9/13/2014The Lumberyard ROCKS!!! I've been there three times now and each time I have left absolutely thrilled.Special Features:
- Brunch with friendMatthewDined on 9/7/2014Chad was great. Unfortunately we were seated near a noisey family and my friend chose not to move.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Laguna Beach LumberyardJMcGDined on 8/30/2014Restaurant was hot and noisy on Saturday night. We were seated at a booth near patio door away from the bar which helped with the bar noise and hot stuffiness. Waiter talked very quietly. Drinks took forever to come then 1 had to be sent back as overly sweet. Wedge salads were excellent. Entrees were ok. Husband said short ribs were excellent. 1 entrée salad had to be remade to not include Vay shrimp as requested. Overall average experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Laguna Beach ConsistentRobarooDined on 8/28/2014When in Laguna Beach and not seeking a particular cuisine, the Lumberyard is a great spot with traditional, but unique, options for a variety of tastes. Prior to the Pageant of the Masters this week our group enjoyed the starter field greens salad, the dressing and grapes made for excellent flavor. Popular entree choices were the beef stroganoff, meatloaf and short ribs. Happy hour drink prices made for a relaxing time prior to dinner.Special Features:
- Perfect EverytimeFood4ThoughtVIPDined on 8/28/2014I've been to the lumberyard several times now and each time has been great. The food and service are consistently great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Pageant Dining Spot.Since1970Dined on 8/27/2014We picked Lumberyard as our dinner spot before the Pageant of the Masters. We were pleasantly surprised with our choice. The menu had a variety of options. I went with the BBQ Ribs, my wife ordered the Salmon, and my daughter ordered a French Dip Sandwich. My son ordered a petite filet minon off the kids menu! All dishes were excellent. I even tried a couple of their specialty drinks - Omar's Revenge and City Hall - and both were pretty good. After dinner, we made the short stroll down to the Pageant grounds and enjoyed the show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dinner Spot for Pageantrobinhur1Dined on 8/26/2014Hi - Went here for dinner before the Pageant of the Masters. Service and food were excellent. Easy walk to the Laguna Art Festival. The chicken penne with tomato vodka sauce was fabulous. Drinks were also excellent. Hadn't been here for many years and restaurant had different owners but the experience was every bit as good as years ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-Pageant Dinner!ParrotheadDonDined on 8/26/2014I'm not from the area, so I searched for restaurants near Pageant of the Masters. I found this place and decided to get a reservation for the four of us. Service was excellent, food was fantastic, and everything was reasonably priced. I had the French Dip. I was a little fatty, but overall, a great sandwich. I will definitely be going back to try other menu items.Special Features:
- Loved itArtFoodFunDined on 8/25/2014We found this place through Open Table. I based my decision on all of the positive reviews. The food was amazing and the service was excellent. We went on a Friday night during Festival season in Laguna so it was crowded. I will say the noise level was quite loud inside so we asked to be seated on the patio and had a perfect evening. The salmon was great and so was the halibut. We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Good But not GreatBmo1146Dined on 8/25/2014The restaurant was very accommodating when we had to push our reservation a half hour later due to traffic.. We were seated outside, but inside looked much nicer. Our waiter was nice, but not very attentive.. the house salad was drenched in balsamic dressing and being ice cold was clearly plated early and kept in a fridge so the veggies were all wilted...The entree portions are huge, there were 4 of us and we each ordered one of the fish dishes.. all were decent, my Halibut special especially so.Special Features:
- Pageant Convenient & Delicious TooRexlandDined on 8/25/2014Selected Lumberyard for a group of 8 before the Pageant of the Masters - location was perfect. The menu provided a good variety for a group, including recognizable dishes with a bit of a twist. The food was creatively prepared, nicely presented, and delicious. The servers were friendly and professional. We were there for a very early dinner and the noise level was moderate. I would imagine that the noise level would increase as the bar crowd arrives. I would happily return when in Laguna.Special Features:
- food is fantasticTakedailyDined on 8/24/2014And service great but come prepared to yell if its busy the noise level can be really HIGH!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014I chose this restaurant due to ratings, menu and photos I saw online, and proximity to Festival of the Arts. We were two couples there for dinner and we really enjoyed the food and ambience. So glad we went. I had to choose a rating for the noise level, but I honestly don't remember if was quiet or moderate.I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousJeanetteDined on 8/24/2014I like restaurants with smaller menus. They offer something for everyone and perfect each item. We had the vegetable platter, salmon and short ribs. All were cooked to prefection, seasoned well and came out piping hot. It can get a bit loud in the dining area but the music is kept low so you don't have to yell. For the price point, it was great. Service was polite and knew the menu. Good draft list, fantastic wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great before Pageant of the Mastersjwh727Dined on 8/24/2014Very nice dining experience before the Pageant of the Masters. Lumberyard has parking that for an additional fee ($15.00) allows you to park through the Pageant. Very comfortable 15-20 minute to the Festival. Menu varied and everyone of my guests enjoyed the meal and beverages.Good value as well!Special Features: