350 King St. West, 2nd Floor, TIFF Bell Lightbox
Toronto, ON M5V 3X2Neighborhood:
Downtown / Entertainment District
Global, InternationalPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lumarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6472884715x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday, 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday, 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Michael Wilson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Luma and Oliver & Bonacini Events offers full off-site catering opportunities throughout the entire TIFF Bell Lightbox facility including the sixth floor event space and outdoor amphitheatre, with seating capacity for 150, reception capacity for 250. For details, contact Oliver & Bonacini Events.
- Private Party Facilities: Luma offers an intimate 12-seat private room for exclusive dining, as well as opportunity to cater to some exclusive private areas within the TIFF Bell Lightbox facility. Luma is also available for full buyouts.
- Private Party Contact: Oliver & Bonacini Events 4163641211x
- Cross Street: King and John Streets
- Public Transit: By subway, exit at St. Andrew station on the Yonge-University Spadina line, north east corner. Travel two blocks west on King Street. By streetcar, access the King Street line to John Street.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Paid parking is available underneath the TIFF Bell Lightbox and there are plenty of private lots within a short walking distance. Street parking can also be found nearby.
A word from Luma
Luma takes movie nights to a whole new level at TIFF Bell Lightbox. Located at the corner of King and John Streets, the TIFF Bell Lightbox is home to the Toronto International Film Festival, and houses five theatres, three exhibition galleries and a dramatic sixth floor event space. Paying homage to Toronto’s rich, cultural landscape, Luma’s menu showcases global and Canadian artisanal cuisine featuring the finest local and regional ingredients. Chef Michael Wilson's original, imaginative cooking is the perfect complement to Luma’s warm, inviting dining room, designed with rich woods, leather and stone and outstanding floor to ceiling views of King Street West. Luma is open for lunch Monday through Friday and dinner Monday through Saturday, and drinks and light dining in the spacious bar lounge. Enjoy innovative cocktails and a rich, diverse wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Luma reviews from OpenTable diners
272 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (154)special occasion (144)good for groups (112)great for lunch (98)hot spot (80)romantic (76)scenic view (67)great for outdoor dining (53)notable wine list (46)neighborhood gem (42)great for brunch (37)vibrant bar scene (30)late-night find (21)kid-friendly (8)Show More
- yummy! WE ARE GOING BACK!radhaDined on 10/18/2014It was amazing. The main course recommendations the server made were outstanding.Special Features:
- Left me in a TIFF!LeftMeInATIFFDined on 10/16/2014We had a reservation and our table wasn't ready, and later we had to ask 3 different servers for our bill before they finally brought it to us. It was not very busy... And we wanted to make our show on time. Something we brought up with the server twice. We waited longer for the bill then we did for the food. Our food was presented as high end, but the flavor was lacking.Special Features:
- ImpressedHungryGuyDined on 10/16/2014Excellent food, ambiance and service. Waitress was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food. Fantastic serviceErinDined on 10/16/2014Great pre-theatre spot, it's amazing that they can prepare great food so quickly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotMike01123Dined on 10/16/2014Food was excellent, service was great, prices were reasonable. The place was a little noisy, but overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Servie slippagedonniemacDined on 10/15/2014Had to wait over an hour for our dinner, even though they knew we were going to the theatre. Had trouble getting the bill.too. Had to ask to have our water replenished/ (They did ask if my wife wpuld like another gin and tonic.) Have been there numerous times but never had such inattentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Antonia was a Superstar!RdasyDined on 10/14/2014We had a fantastic experience from start to finish, but as many people say... it's the service that makes the experience, not so much the food. Don't get me wrong... the food was great, but Antonia was stellar in making sure we were well looked after. Clearly, she's been trained by the best at Oliver & Bonacini. Would absolutely recommend to friends and family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TravellerDined on 10/8/2014Excellent service and food. Pleasant atmosphere. Close to theatres and parking. What more could one want!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular!ManjDined on 10/4/2014I visited Luma on a Saturday evening after I proposed to my girlfriend. I had made reservations prior to attending on OpenTable and made a note that this was a special dinner. Upon arrival, the hostess was very kind! She congratulated us and had a special table ready with a view of King St. Throughout the night those working came by to congratulate us. We were given complementary champagne and even given a discount on our bill. Our server (Daniel I believe?) was amazing! He spent time chatting with us, always checked in and recommended things on the menu. Overall, it was a great experience and will definitely be attending again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly goodMikeandLouDined on 10/4/2014We were expecting the usual theater district/toursty restaurant but this is stand alone quality dining. Food was excellent, priced accordingly, and the service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Very goodMickeyVIPDined on 10/4/2014Luma is very good, albeit pricy. Food quality is excellent, but be aware that the descriptions shown on the menu are not really representative of the meals. The peach/goat cheese salad appetizer isn't worth having, despite a strong recommendation from our server. On the other hand, the tempura squid was outstanding. The clear winner for the mains was the steak frites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfullovefoodDined on 10/3/2014Great food great service. Always a wonderful dining experience!Special Features:
- MarcelDined on 10/3/2014We had a great dinner at Luma. Our waiter was very pleasant, professional & enthusiastic & the food was very good. Servcie was prompt & attentive & we were very well looked after & enjoyed our meal & the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingTechy291Dined on 9/24/2014An outstanding venue for special occasion dinner. Didn't know food could taste so goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent pre-theatre diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014Luma is an excellent spot for a pre-theatre dinner. The staff is very attentive to assure that the diners can leave in time and that the food is to expectations. The food was excellently prepared and presented. My only complain is that the dish was a little light on veggies!Special Features:
- Fabulous experience!KimberlyDined on 9/19/2014Both the food and the service were outstanding! Thanks for a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not disappoint...again!TerryDined on 9/14/2014Our waitress was amazing, the food was delicious, fresh and sophisticated. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for CelebratingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Five couples went to Toronto from Boston to celebrate a friends birthday. Luma was a perfect dining experience for a celebration. The dining room is beautiful, the service was excellent and the food was good, not necessarily memorable but very good. The noise level was very comfortable. We were all able to enjoy conversation during dinner. It was a great choice for our group.Special Features:
- Unhappy with food and service!MissMangiaDined on 9/13/2014In a great area and bldg., decor was awesome, crowd was great. But please be aware that you will be paying a lot of extra money for that, and not for great food. They try to build value with ambience, fru-fruness, and the perception of expensive. My octopus appetizer was overcooked, burnt in some areas. My lamb entree was very bland and tasteless. I make better lamb and I have no culinary expertise. Service started off great- knowledgeable and friendly- really nice guy. Water was filled promptly. However as it got busy, we were left to the side. Dessert, coffee? Had to get up and ask staff at the counter for our bill. Felt really ripped off $130 for 2ppl and left hungry. Food was worth less than half of that. Never going back.
- refreshed menu is much improvedmjwfoodguyVIPDined on 9/12/2014Always good food in the past but a little pedestrian. We had squid, charred octopus and tagliolini. All bursting with flavour. It was a Friday night during TIFF so the place was buzzing. Despite that service was prompt and attentive. Great dinner spot after you see a movie at Bell Lightbox.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014Nice room, poor service. Waitress forgets steak knife, forgets to bring us bread until we get our full meal and frankly behaved like she was to important to serve us. I understand corporate restaurants (O&B) have higher prices but with that people expect a tight ship. My GF and I has just come back from NYC last weekend going to Balthazar and Gato... Luma really needs to do better. Its shocking that a place like this is even moderately full on a friday. Food was not bad, Ceasar salad was a Ceasar salad. The "truffle" fries that come with the steak had been sitting for way to long under a hot lamp. Message to management: young people have money and aren't charmed by rude/bad waitstaff and sub par food. Get your act together.Special Features:
- Special Requests cannot be managedloveoffoodDined on 9/11/2014Nice spot if you want to see a play or TIFF movie. The food was good but service was disappointing as was the latte at the end of the evening. It was a special night for us as we wanted to celebrate my daughter's big birthday. They noted this when we were seated but neglected to have the special dessert requested, where they said they would write the surprise note on her plate regardless of what she ordered. Unfortunately, we were seated beside a few rude men who were somewhat encouraged by their wait staff. Overall not the special evening I intended.Special Features:
- Fun and great locationASRQVIPDined on 9/9/2014Perfect for pre or after events in the theater district...service was fun, attentive and very lively......would go back again for sure.Special Features:
- Great time with friendswagleretteDined on 9/9/2014We were a group of five from out of town wanting to soak up some of TIFF. Mission achieved. The food was good, there was an overdone steak but it was replaced and taken off the bill. The service was outstanding. I wouldn't hesitate to return given the chance.Special Features:
- Fantastic mealTIFFdinersDined on 9/8/2014We had a delicious meal at Luma. The wait staff were all very welcoming, and our waiter was extremely knowledgeable, friendly and enthusiastic. On his recommendation two in our party ordered the piglet which was delicious. I had the scallops which were also great. Wine and appetizers were on the pricier side but as you'd expect in a restaurant like this. I'd definitely go again, the main dishes were special.Special Features:
- TIFFMelakaiDined on 9/8/2014We had lovely dinner at Luma. Food was great. They accommodated my gluten intolerance well. I find the atmosphere of this restaurant a little lacking because of the openness, bright lighting, high noise level and closeness of tables. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014It was a great way to finish off our day!! We all enjoyed our food, the ambiance and the conversation. Thanks again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favourites~Abee17Dined on 9/6/2014I had a great time at Luma, the feel of the restaurant is very open, simple, classy and modern! The food selection is broad and everything sounds delicious. I always fall back on the steak frites, because I LOVE their truffle parmesan frites! My steak this time was not the best, but everything makes up for it. I also got a green tea mojito, it was great! We went right before our TIFF movie and our waiter was super at making sure our food came out in a timely matter so we didn't need to worry about being late for our show. Our waiter was the BEST, I'm sad I dont' remember his name because he really should be commended... He was tall, dapper, salt and pepper hair with a fantastic personality and very friendly.Special Features:
- Good effort, but doesn't delivernikitaDined on 9/5/2014Neither the appetizer nor main I ordered would I recommend or order again. Main dishes both arrived lukewarm, even though they were 'rushed' from the kitchen (as we had waited about 60 min for them to arrive). Server offered complimentary drinks while we waited, but it didn't make the food any better. Not an intimate setting, perhaps better for working meals.
- Great pre-TIFF dinner!brandcVIPDined on 9/5/2014Overall, was a great experience dining at Luma. The service was fantastic in spite of being very busy during the Festival. My caesar salad was not the same as last time. I ordered it because I like the original take using escarole as the salad base. This time it appeared to be romaine leaves and when I mentioned it to the waiter, he said it's a mix of escarole and romaine because escarole alone would be too bitter. Also it was a bit overdressed. My husband thought the carrot salad tasted a bit strange but liked the currants. Our mains were both delicious--halibut perfectly cooked and lightly treated, salmon a lovely pink and flavourful. Loved my dessert mini-bites. Cheese portion could have been a bit more generous!Special Features:
- Good ambienceannafromtorontoDined on 9/4/2014Had lunch with a friend. We dined out on the patio and the weather was as lovely as our server. She was absolutely pleasant as well as knowledgable. It a appeared to be busy outside but we didn't feel rushed at all. Would love to come back for dinner another time.Special Features:
- Brilliant ServicegtmoDined on 8/22/2014Our waitress was absolutely phenomenal and personal. She truly cared about our experience and also took the time to recommend changes to our order (that were delicious). We will definitely be back here again :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and ambainceLocalSocializerDined on 8/22/2014The location, ambiance and service are all are all outstanding - I've been here twice now and the service in particular has been excellent both times. Staff are friendly and helpful and pleasant and nice. The food is good too -but it's a bit pricey so this might be more of a 'special occasion' choice than a 'dinner before the movies' locale. I've had the short ribs and steak frites and a lemon curd dessert and all were very good. The standards for consistency seem to be quite high and the kitchen actually remade my chicken rather than sending out something they were not happy with. In fact I only knew because several members of the wait staff apologized for a delay I hadn't really noticed myself. There is also cheap parking close-by.Special Features:
- Luma continues to impressGeorgeDined on 8/20/2014On the slowest afternoon or the busiest evening, consistently strong, friendly service and consistently innovative and delicious dishes. The daily sandwich is a bonafide lunch time hit, and Luma's steak frites rival any French bistro. Wines are tastefully chosen and their price tags tend to be reliable indications of their merit. And the new decadent banana/marshmallow dessert is to kill for.Special Features:
- a comedy of errorsFOODIEDined on 8/19/2014Two of us ordered steak: one rare, the other medium rare. They both came WELL DONE. The staff were extremely apologetic and offered to bring us new steaks, but this would have been awkward because the other 2 at our table had their meals and we didn't want to wait, so we ate the steaks as is. The manager took both steaks off the bill, which was very much appreciated. It was the birthday of one of our party, but the restaurant had no candles (when has that ever happened?), but they did write "happy birthday" in chocolate sauce on the side of her plate, which also was appreciated. Then, to our surprise, the desserts were also taken off the bill. So despite the above mishaps, we enjoyed ourselves because the staff were really nice.
- excellent dinner &excellent serviceaviafDined on 8/18/2014Just recently went to Luma for our anniversary, the host asked us about the special occasion and when our server came she was already congratulating us. The dinner was superb and delicious and the appetizers especially seemed like great value for the prices (they had as much food in an app as other places serve for an entree). The service was great, our server was funny and witty and knew just when to check in or top up our drinks/water. Lastly, when the dessert was brought out, they had written Happy Anniversary in chocolate beside the dessert and onto the plate, it was the perfect touch to tie off the night, especially with such a delicious plate ( the Luma chocolate bar). I will definitely be going there again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2014Luma is always great! I have never been disappointed. Our server was particularly good on our last visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first time in TorontoKWR57VIPDined on 8/14/2014If you can find the place (I walked past the address 4 times before finding them), you will be in for a treat. I was in Toronto on business for a few days and Luma was hands down the best meal I had while in town. The staff was very attentive and knowledgeable. The food was excellent. The wine list was somewhat limited, but my server's recommendations proved to be excellent pairings for my dishes.Special Features:
- Fine dining, excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2014This was a very lovely evening. From my early arrival, drink at the bar- the bartender chatted with me and made me a few testers he was trying, very sweet. Dinner was excellent, and the service was flawless. It was quiet (Friday night, summer) but the room is pretty and we could see the action on King st. Lovely.Special Features:
- FantasticDeliciousDined on 8/1/2014We were warmly greeted with kind words and a smile. The waiter could not have been nicer. My daughter needed a gluten free option and was impressed with the many wonderful dishes that accommodated her, she had a hard time deciding! We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.