816 Folsom St.
San Francisco, CA 94107Neighborhood:
ProvencalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.restaurantlulu.com/
- Phone: (415) 495-5775
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday- Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - close, Saturday & Sunday: 5:00pm - close, Light Menu: Monday - Friday: 2:30pm - 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, French
- Executive Chef: John Hennigan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site, full service catering is available. Call the 415-495-5775 ext. 203 for more information or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Special Events: Contact LuLu to plan for your next special event or private dining at 415-495-5775 ext.203 or email email@example.com.
Finders Keepers promo-50% off select wines daily.
Happy Hour Promo-50% off spirits, beer & wines by glass at bar 3-7pm daily.
A word from LuLu
Lulu offers a seasonal Provencal menu featuring wood fired oven, rotisserie and grilled specialties. The 'family-style' cuisine is served in an impressive warehouse dining space. LuLu features an award-winning wine list and a wine bar offering over 40 wines-by-the-glass. Located in the SOMA district, just one block from the Moscone Convention Center, Lulu is the ideal spot for lunch, cocktails or a festive dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
LuLu reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (50)fit for foodies (39)neighborhood gem (34)special occasion (20)notable wine list (19)vibrant bar scene (14)great for lunch (12)hot spot (11)romantic (7)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (4)Show More
- lulu lunchMzmeVIPDined on 11/21/2014met a friend, had the brie and bacon- ate it all- yum. liked the wines by the 2 oz pour option to do a couple tastings in lieu of one full glass. friend had salmon burger- she ditched the bread and just ate the salmon- noticed she did not eat the cauliflower much that came with it. only a couple tables on a Friday - would like to see it when(?) its hopping....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced for the valueOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/15/2014Would not go back to this restaurant again. Chicken dish was undercooked and inedible. Pizza had an overabundance of cheese. The ribeye for two was generally pretty good and was cooked properly. The regular fries and sweet potato fries were delicious.
- old reliableOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/14/2014eating at Lulu's is always a good experience. have been coming here for years and never been disappointed. service is always outstanding, as is the food. friday's short ribs just melted in your mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- theselecterdjkirkDined on 11/6/2014Classic San Francisco restaurant known for their Roast Chicken, Roast Pork Loin, wood fired pizzas and fire roasted mussels. The wine list is fantastic with a wide range to satisfy all tastes and price points. If you are in the Moscone Center area, LuLu is a place you can depend on. The decor/art work is a little too '90s and needs an upgrade but I always come back for my favorite dishes.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/28/2014family style service/dishes a plus when dining with 4 or more as you can all share 6th time at restaurantSpecial Features:
- Lulu ALWAYS pleases !!PHXfinedinerVIPDined on 10/26/2014Honestly, whenever I find myself in San Francisco, I live in anticipation of a meal at Lulu's. Lulu's is the perfect example of a restaurant that knows what it does well and keeps dishing out the good stuff continuously and consistently. I always start with the roasted mussels served with lemon butter and usually go with whatever is spinning on the rotisserie that evening. On this occasion I took advantage of the prime rib Sunday special and even though I ordered the end cut it was delightfully medium rare and exhibited a complexity in it's taste profile that made it superbly delicious. The beef was served with au gratin potatoes that anyone would be challenged to copy successfully...creamy & earthy. Brussel sprouts & polenta amazing!Special Features:
- Wood-fired ambianceEveMDined on 10/20/2014They change the menu seasonally, so many of the items were new to me, but I shared the ribeye with a companion and it was amazing as always, as were the sides. The calamari starter (actually baby squid) is also delicious and delicate while also having some pepper-based heat.Special Features:
- Good not Great; PriceypH123VIPDined on 10/18/2014Good food: Excellent vegetarian cassoulet which managed great flavor without the duck! Signature dish - iron skillet mussels, was blah. Service was very good, but our dinner was before many diners were there. Very good cocktails; try basil gimlet. Dishes are expensive - prices are c 2000.Special Features:
- Skip this restaurant.mayoneggDined on 10/17/2014Lulu is a family style restaurant, a fact that our server neglected to tell us (but our bus boy did when bringing us the meal!) so we had 2 huge portions of food that were unnecessary. Our server said "well, it says it on the menu". Ok, sure. Lucky for us the chicken was cold so we had to send it back. I'm glad we ordered the $1.50 bread (come on, charging for bread is just bad form) because it came with an extra surprise...a little beetle crawling out of the fridge-scented butter! Yum. Why is this restaurant so expensive when the gnocchi were clearly microwaved? Open table, this restaurant does not deserve the 4 star rating is somehow has on your site/app.
- ALWAYS A HIT1KTravelerVIPDined on 10/11/2014Lulu has long been one of my standby restaurants for San Francisco. The food is wholesome and straightforward - sure to please any diner or group. I had the Saturday evening duck special, and really enjoyed it. Everyone at our table was pleased with the quality of their food and the nice portions. Service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinesfDined on 10/11/2014Great casual dining with ambience, high end wine list and wonderful service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Time for a refreshDavidSFOVIPDined on 10/9/2014I don't agree with a lot of Michael Bauer's reviews, but his most recent of Lulu is spot-on. Lulu was great once, and it could be again. But right now, it's almost depressing to walk in when the place it half empty which was the case when I went in recently on a Thursday night. I'm sure they keep a good business going because of their proximity to Moscone. But it would do wonders if they'd refresh the menu and spruce up the decor. Oh, and the beer list is too short.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hbeachmomVIPDined on 10/3/2014We often eat at Lulu's. The food is consistently delicious.Special Features:
- Terrific serviceSusanEmDined on 9/19/2014The food was fabulous and our waiter was extremely skilled - he know the menu very well and made recommendations for us that were helpful. The selections of both entrees and small plates is really nice. They also have an extremely nice wine-by-the-glass selection which is rare. Truly a great meal and a great evening out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit and Miss at LuLuMenumavVIPDined on 9/13/2014The two of us decided to share everything "family style" as suggested. We started with the appetizer plate, choosing the melon/feta salad, the goat cheese/bacon tart and the pistachio nut pate. Good portion sizes. The tart was excellent, the pate good, but the salad was less than fresh--melon was watery and tasteless. For our entree we shared the evening special of roasted quartered duck with potatoes and loquats. It was pretty good, though very hard to eat/get off the bone. Could have been more tender and flavorful. Dessert was the plum cake/ice cream sandwich combo. Would have preferred a traditional plum cake with the creme fraiche ice cream (delicious) on the side. The icecream sandwich was hard to eat and silly.Special Features:
- good local lunch spotkatreezyDined on 9/12/2014The sweet potato fries were awesome, and the servers were fantastic. I will most likely be coming back, especially to check out their happy hour.Special Features:
- Great space and dessertPianoManVIPDined on 8/30/2014We've been to Lulu's many times. Superb happy hour drink prices and friendly bar service that not many people are aware of. Beautiful restaurant space. High ceilings, visible kitchen, very pretty and calm. Service was very attentive and excellent. We weren't that hungry so split corn chowder and a meatball pizza and brussel sprouts. Sprouts were outstanding. Meatball pizza was outstanding. Corn chowder could have been more tasty and thicker. House Chianti was tasty. Save some room for Chocolate Chip Butterscotch Bread Pudding for sure - superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pork was dry, Salmon was tinyNateVIPDined on 8/26/2014Hadn't been to LuLu in a while, I think they have gone through quite a few head chef's in the last 12 years. But was disappointed in the food a few nights ago. I brought clients to the restaurant which made it worse. My clients pork was dry as a bone, even joking if he could get some A1 sauce. My Salmon was probably less than 4 oz and was one of the most expensive items on the menu.Special Features:
- Not what it used to beManuelHVIPDined on 8/23/2014I went back to Lulu after not being there for years. Definitely not the place it used to be. I had better foods at University cafes! Out of three diners, only one finished its meal. The other two hardly touched it, and the clueless waiter, upon cleaning them did not even ask if the meals were not pleasing... last time I dine here, unless it is a corporate event i can't miss...Special Features:
- RafaelorafaeloDined on 8/17/2014Food was good in parts, but overall just average. Prime rib was tough and tasteless. Quality of service went from great before a large party came in. then we were forgotten. Won't be going backSpecial Features:
- Eclectic dinner and winesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014We return to Restaurant LuLu for a variety of tastes. The inventive small plates that we can share, this week, the heirloom tomato and mozzarella cheese with fresh figs was a nice variation on the classic insalata Caprese. The molton chocolate cake is awsome. The wine flights allow us to experienc diffenert wines with each course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedGorgarVIPDined on 8/12/2014I needed a venue near Moscone Center to entertain a group attending a large national meeting in San Francisco. Based on the reviews I read and the great location, LuLu seemed like a perfect fit. However, I have to say that we were very disappointed with the food. My mussels were uninspired, and a few of them were bad (as in spoiled, to me, unacceptable in an upscale restaurant). The wines we selected were good, but overall the wine list is populated largely with very expensive wines I had the chicken and my wife had the short ribs, and both were uninspired. If my food was seasoned, it did not show. And while it was supposedly cooked in a wood oven, but there was no characteristic in the food.
- Needs a Make OverOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/8/2014Lulu has been around a long time and the food is still very good however it is looking very tired and in much need of an update. Service was friendly but not could have been a bit more attentive.Special Features:
- OutandaboutVIPDined on 8/8/2014Casual and comfortable atmosphere with very good food. Service is friendly and efficient. Always enjoy this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun timessarahdDined on 8/6/2014I like this place. Lovely team of servers and the food is good, (especially the chicken). Recommended!Special Features:
- Good food, but...foodloverDined on 8/1/2014I really enjoyed the food, especially the pizzas. However, our service was slow. We had to remind our waitress a few times about drinks we ordered and didn't receive. Also, we ordered one shot for a person in our group of eight and the waitress brought out eight and billed us for all eight. I would give it another chance because the food was so good, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable Meal at Lulu'sdinneroutDined on 8/1/2014Large seating capacity so we were able to get a reservation for two people on the same day. Appreciated the ability to modify to suit our tastes, we asked to have the peaches left off of the salad of greens, bleu cheese and walnuts. Portions were generous, pork loin entree is enough for two people. Lots of great choices on the wine list, including by the glass options of 3 oz, 6 oz, and 9oz. Service was fantastic, and valet service was friendly and helpful too.Special Features:
- Great SpotDinuDined on 8/1/2014The atmosphere and food were great - as usual! Unfortunately, our waitress was strangely unfriendly and unhelpful. A real bitter pill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyed dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/30/2014Had not been to Lulu's for many years - like 10+. Loved it just as much as before. Lady bartender was wonderful. Our server was very helpful with the menu items. Everything was delicious. Definitely go back again.Special Features:
- The following 1479 reviews are from the LuLu reviews archive.
- Consistently GoodmsquareVIPDined on 7/27/2014Have eaten here many times and never been disappointed with meal or service. The wine flights are especially great and a good value for the options provided. The wine list by the glass can be ordered in 2oz, 4oz or 6oz pours. Pizza and pasta is good but If you like mussels, they have the best in SF. Have recommended this restaurant many times. Beautiful large open dining room and very well stocked bar are pluses!Special Features:
- a place for dinnerVirginiaDined on 7/25/2014Always a must for me when I am in San Francisco. Love their nightly specials....fun ambience.Special Features:
- DinnerSFDinerDined on 7/23/2014Food was bland. I had the roasted chicken (which I had 2 send back at first as it was red inside & under cooked) and they had 2 different variations of steak. The staff was really good about getting my plate back out to me in a timely manner. We sampled each other's plates. The memorable part was the dessert. I may go there just for that. They very delish! Not one crumb left on the plates! I had a tart with apricots & delish melon sorbet. They had some kind of chocolate chip cake dessert.
- R123Dined on 7/19/2014We tried the duck rotisserie special, and it was disappointing. The flavor was good, but there was too little duck meat to be satisfying. The tomato basil soup was excellent.
- Perfect choice!bellashellaDined on 7/19/2014We hadn't been to Lulu in years, as we'd moved to the peninsula and loved (and will miss) Zibibo, the sister restaurant. Friends and their teen-aged kids came to SF to visit and we met there, with our kids, younger, for dinner--it was perfect! There was something for everyone, kids and my friend's Vegan wife alike! Plus, it was delicious!! I had the halibut and it was outstanding! The service was super too and the waitress pointed out that the polenta had marscapone in it, saving vegan friend! Glad to rediscover!!Special Features:
- Pleasurable Dining experienceoperamomDined on 7/12/2014We had a large party of 12 people and our waitress Alisha (sp?) was excellent at accommodating our group. the food was great, duck was awesome and the deserts were heavenly. It was a great experience for our party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fun Dining ExperienceJoerootsDined on 7/12/2014Excellent Food and the family style serving is the way to go to try a number of things. All good dishes, some were exceptional. Plus we had a lot of fun with our waiter, Ray. Knowledgeable, fun & attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful smell from wood ovenFoggyVIPDined on 6/26/2014We have been to Lulu's several times over the years. It is always good. This year we were at a conference at the Moscone Center, so we had lunch at Lulu's. When we arrived the restaurant seemed almost empty, but that changed about halfway through our meal. This is the type of place that needs to be filled to be at its best. Our food was very good. We both had salads that were fine. My husband had the salmon entree which he really enjoyed. I had the fried fish sandwich - very good, just too much bread.Special Features:
- An oldie but still a great mealSpideySensesTinglingDined on 6/23/2014I think I've been coming here since it opened in the mid 90s. Can't go wrong with so many of their dishes but my fav is still the roasted mussels. If you don't have reservations, call ahead to make sure they are open as they often now seem to only book private events, especially midweek. I've walked up and been turned away enough to say it wasn't just a one time thing. Food serving sizes are large compared to most other spots, great for sharing even the sides. I'll be back.Special Features:
- We walked from union square areaJewell22Dined on 6/23/2014Great device, wine, and place to eat. Menu has a variety of delicious choices. I think it's fun for a group because you can order more and share. Everything is very good and very healthy. We'll go back. Very close to our union square area hotel. Enjoyed the walk there and back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedmommiDined on 6/21/2014Food was mediocre (still expensive), however deserts were great.