816 Folsom St.
San Francisco, CA 94107Neighborhood:
ProvencalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.restaurantlulu.com/
- Phone: 4154955775x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday- Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - close, Saturday & Sunday: 5:00pm - close, Light Menu: Monday - Friday: 2:30pm - 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, French
- Executive Chef: John Hennigan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site, full service catering is available. Call the 415-495-5775 ext. 203 for more information or email email@example.com.
- Special Events: Contact LuLu to plan for your next special event or private dining at 415-495-5775 ext.203 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finders Keepers promo-50% off select wines daily.
Happy Hour Promo-50% off spirits, beer & wines by glass at bar 3-7pm daily.
A word from LuLu
Lulu offers a seasonal Provencal menu featuring wood fired oven, rotisserie and grilled specialties. The 'family-style' cuisine is served in an impressive warehouse dining space. LuLu features an award-winning wine list and a wine bar offering over 40 wines-by-the-glass. Located in the SOMA district, just one block from the Moscone Convention Center, Lulu is the ideal spot for lunch, cocktails or a festive dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
LuLu reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (54)fit for foodies (48)neighborhood gem (30)special occasion (28)notable wine list (27)great for lunch (13)kid-friendly (12)romantic (10)vibrant bar scene (8)great for brunch (8)hot spot (7)late-night find (3)Show More
- RafaelorafaeloDined on 8/17/2014Food was good in parts, but overall just average. Prime rib was tough and tasteless. Quality of service went from great before a large party came in. then we were forgotten. Won't be going backSpecial Features:
- Eclectic dinner and winesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014We return to Restaurant LuLu for a variety of tastes. The inventive small plates that we can share, this week, the heirloom tomato and mozzarella cheese with fresh figs was a nice variation on the classic insalata Caprese. The molton chocolate cake is awsome. The wine flights allow us to experienc diffenert wines with each course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedGorgarVIPDined on 8/12/2014I needed a venue near Moscone Center to entertain a group attending a large national meeting in San Francisco. Based on the reviews I read and the great location, LuLu seemed like a perfect fit. However, I have to say that we were very disappointed with the food. My mussels were uninspired, and a few of them were bad (as in spoiled, to me, unacceptable in an upscale restaurant). The wines we selected were good, but overall the wine list is populated largely with very expensive wines I had the chicken and my wife had the short ribs, and both were uninspired. If my food was seasoned, it did not show. And while it was supposedly cooked in a wood oven, but there was no characteristic in the food.
- Needs a Make OverOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/8/2014Lulu has been around a long time and the food is still very good however it is looking very tired and in much need of an update. Service was friendly but not could have been a bit more attentive.Special Features:
- OutandaboutVIPDined on 8/8/2014Casual and comfortable atmosphere with very good food. Service is friendly and efficient. Always enjoy this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun timessarahdDined on 8/6/2014I like this place. Lovely team of servers and the food is good, (especially the chicken). Recommended!Special Features:
- Good food, but...foodloverDined on 8/1/2014I really enjoyed the food, especially the pizzas. However, our service was slow. We had to remind our waitress a few times about drinks we ordered and didn't receive. Also, we ordered one shot for a person in our group of eight and the waitress brought out eight and billed us for all eight. I would give it another chance because the food was so good, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable Meal at Lulu'sdinneroutDined on 8/1/2014Large seating capacity so we were able to get a reservation for two people on the same day. Appreciated the ability to modify to suit our tastes, we asked to have the peaches left off of the salad of greens, bleu cheese and walnuts. Portions were generous, pork loin entree is enough for two people. Lots of great choices on the wine list, including by the glass options of 3 oz, 6 oz, and 9oz. Service was fantastic, and valet service was friendly and helpful too.Special Features:
- Great SpotDinuDined on 8/1/2014The atmosphere and food were great - as usual! Unfortunately, our waitress was strangely unfriendly and unhelpful. A real bitter pill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyed dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/30/2014Had not been to Lulu's for many years - like 10+. Loved it just as much as before. Lady bartender was wonderful. Our server was very helpful with the menu items. Everything was delicious. Definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Consistently GoodmsquareVIPDined on 7/27/2014Have eaten here many times and never been disappointed with meal or service. The wine flights are especially great and a good value for the options provided. The wine list by the glass can be ordered in 2oz, 4oz or 6oz pours. Pizza and pasta is good but If you like mussels, they have the best in SF. Have recommended this restaurant many times. Beautiful large open dining room and very well stocked bar are pluses!Special Features:
- a place for dinnerVirginiaDined on 7/25/2014Always a must for me when I am in San Francisco. Love their nightly specials....fun ambience.Special Features:
- DinnerSFDinerDined on 7/23/2014Food was bland. I had the roasted chicken (which I had 2 send back at first as it was red inside & under cooked) and they had 2 different variations of steak. The staff was really good about getting my plate back out to me in a timely manner. We sampled each other's plates. The memorable part was the dessert. I may go there just for that. They very delish! Not one crumb left on the plates! I had a tart with apricots & delish melon sorbet. They had some kind of chocolate chip cake dessert.
- R123Dined on 7/19/2014We tried the duck rotisserie special, and it was disappointing. The flavor was good, but there was too little duck meat to be satisfying. The tomato basil soup was excellent.
- Perfect choice!bellashellaDined on 7/19/2014We hadn't been to Lulu in years, as we'd moved to the peninsula and loved (and will miss) Zibibo, the sister restaurant. Friends and their teen-aged kids came to SF to visit and we met there, with our kids, younger, for dinner--it was perfect! There was something for everyone, kids and my friend's Vegan wife alike! Plus, it was delicious!! I had the halibut and it was outstanding! The service was super too and the waitress pointed out that the polenta had marscapone in it, saving vegan friend! Glad to rediscover!!Special Features:
- Pleasurable Dining experienceoperamomDined on 7/12/2014We had a large party of 12 people and our waitress Alisha (sp?) was excellent at accommodating our group. the food was great, duck was awesome and the deserts were heavenly. It was a great experience for our party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fun Dining ExperienceJoerootsDined on 7/12/2014Excellent Food and the family style serving is the way to go to try a number of things. All good dishes, some were exceptional. Plus we had a lot of fun with our waiter, Ray. Knowledgeable, fun & attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful smell from wood ovenFoggyVIPDined on 6/26/2014We have been to Lulu's several times over the years. It is always good. This year we were at a conference at the Moscone Center, so we had lunch at Lulu's. When we arrived the restaurant seemed almost empty, but that changed about halfway through our meal. This is the type of place that needs to be filled to be at its best. Our food was very good. We both had salads that were fine. My husband had the salmon entree which he really enjoyed. I had the fried fish sandwich - very good, just too much bread.Special Features:
- An oldie but still a great mealSpideySensesTinglingDined on 6/23/2014I think I've been coming here since it opened in the mid 90s. Can't go wrong with so many of their dishes but my fav is still the roasted mussels. If you don't have reservations, call ahead to make sure they are open as they often now seem to only book private events, especially midweek. I've walked up and been turned away enough to say it wasn't just a one time thing. Food serving sizes are large compared to most other spots, great for sharing even the sides. I'll be back.Special Features:
- We walked from union square areaJewell22Dined on 6/23/2014Great device, wine, and place to eat. Menu has a variety of delicious choices. I think it's fun for a group because you can order more and share. Everything is very good and very healthy. We'll go back. Very close to our union square area hotel. Enjoyed the walk there and back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedmommiDined on 6/21/2014Food was mediocre (still expensive), however deserts were great.
- Thoroughly enjoyedJaxRonDined on 6/17/2014As before, the food and drink were great. Not a large menu but what they do, they do exceedingly well. Service is impeccible tool.Special Features:
- Great experienceEastBayRoVIPDined on 6/15/2014The wood fire grill options are the highlight of their menu, although they have a notable shellfish listing as well. Great wine list and now offering wine flights for those that like to sample. The flavors and seasonal offerings are wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuLu'sMacsReviewsDined on 6/14/2014The food choices were good but what really impressed was the service. Our server was excellent, he was attentive, made excellent recommendations...I would definitely go again..........Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014The iron skillet roasted mussels were hands-down the best dish of the night. They were actually a revelation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to Lulu's!feedmyfaceDined on 6/13/2014Food was fantastic. Service was exceptional. Price was a little high. We all wanted our own dinner plates, and they did that for us, even though it was a family style dinner. We asked for a table away from the wood burning oven (it can get a little smokey) and they gave us a nice table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again!FlaneurVIPDined on 6/10/2014We continue to rely on LuLu as a terrific place to bring guests - and we enjoy it ourselves. The service is always superb and friendly and the food is a delight. We discovered LuLu twenty years ago on a visit to San Francisco; now that we're living here we rediscovered this SoMa gem and marvel that it has aged so much better than we have!Special Features:
- FantasticDavidDined on 6/7/2014We returned to Lulu's that had been an old favorite. I was concerned after reading other reviews that suggested this restaurant had faded. We found this not to be so. It was fantastic. The service was excellent; the food was interesting and skillfully done. The wine selection is excellent. A wonderful night.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would avoid this placeSFfoodmanVIPDined on 6/3/2014The restaurant is super loud and a large open space, so prepare to yell the entire meal. We ordered the Tuesday special (each day has a set special that repeats weekly), and they came back to tell us they were out of it. So then we ordered their chicken rotisserie which they're famous for. About 10 minutes later, they came back to our table to say they were out of that too. Okay, what gives? They didn't seem too apologetic about it. Like it's no big deal that they're out of everything on the menu. So finally, I ordered the salmon. A small piece of overcooked fish came out. The food and experience was not too satisfying. I wouldn't return.
- Used to be my favePortlandOmnivoreDined on 5/30/2014Mussels were still outstanding as was bread pudding dessert. However server was rather new and not very smart when it came to answering questions. He should have referred them to more experienced people rather than faking answers. Had better meals elsewhere on this trip.
- not the place for steak!winegirlVIPDined on 5/25/2014I ordered my steak "medium with no red" and it was brought to the table with the center still raw. I gave the restaurant second chance to make the steak. The second one arrived well done with barely any pink inside. I'm appalled that professional chefs can't come closer to the mark than these two attempts. Worse, the waiter dropped us like a hot potato as soon as the first steak was sent back. Forget ordering anything else to drink. LuLu really needs to look at their kitchen and wait staff if it wants to be a restaurant which lives up to its prices and past quality level.
- Lulu is tiredMusselloveVIPDined on 5/24/2014After many years of outstanding fresh food, Lulu looks ready to retire. this visit was very disappointing as the food came out like an average dining room from a mediocre hotel. Nothing memorable, nothing that felt fresh or interesting in the dishes we ordered. The melange of vegetables, which ruled the table for many years, was boring, soggy and completely mediocre. It has been a really nice ride for Lulu, and it might keep going for years and years catering to the conference crowds from Moscone. But for us, San Franciscans, it is very hard comparing it to what it once was. Perhaps it's time for a new creative and visionary point of view to join the team and help steer it away from the rocks? It is worth the try.
- Friendly neighborhood placeFabulousDined on 5/17/2014We enjoyed a meal after seeing the SF Giants, it is about a 15 minute walk from AT&T Park. The rotisserie chicken was outstanding. I had a lemon fis dish that was also great. The roasted asparagus was outstanding. Wines by the glass were well selected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday celebrationMajocalunaDined on 5/16/2014I'm very satisfied with my Birthday celebration at Lulu. I will recommend it for anyone likes to celebrate in group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable!GrottoDined on 5/15/2014I had not been to Lulu's in over 10 year but made a reservation for dinner when I had a friend visiting. We shared a sizzling platter of roasted mussels which were delicious, followed by salad, followed by the Proscutto/onion pizza. Everything was excellent and the service was very attentive. I won't wait 10 years again to go back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Use to be Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/15/2014LuLU has been my favorite restaurant for years, but not this time. We got the halibut and it was over cooked and not by a little. The salad was all vinegar you could tell very little effort was put into it.
- Avoid LuLuTiluDined on 5/11/2014LuLu used to be a vibrant restaurant with good food, particularly the rotisserie. We had not been there for years. Our visit recently revealed a restaurant that clearly caters to out-of-towners--convention crowd--that is stuck around the convention center and will essentially pay any price for any food. The food was less than mediocre and prices outrageously expensive, even for San Francisco standard. This is a place to avoid for sure. There is only one upside: there are a lot of tables and the space is big. So you will find a table, but the question remains: why even go there?
- Mothers Day BrunchjobidonyouDined on 5/11/2014Went there for Mother's Day Brunch at 1pm. Had a reservation and was seated fairly quickly as the place was not full. They said they were full from 11-1. Kids liked many items on menu (daughter is vegetarian). She picked Tomato Soup. Kids shared Mac & Cheese and a Margherita pizza. My wife and I shared the Beet Salad and Chicken Sandwich. My daughter was "unimpressed" with the soup and we agreed. Tasted like jarred tomato sauce. They took it off the bill. The rest of the meals where pretty good though I felt the basil oil on the chicken sandwich made it messy to eat. We had the bread pudding and lemon crème brûlée. Bread pudding was very good. Crème brûlée had a huckleberry topping which was OK but a bit to much extra sourness.Special Features:
- Good food and spaciousRestauranteurVIPDined on 5/10/2014Cameron was an excellent server, the food was unique and tasty, we had a good time!Special Features:
- Great foodHayatoDined on 5/9/2014Every food were amazing. There are a lot of wines in the lists. And price were affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.