816 Folsom St.
San Francisco, CA 94107Neighborhood:
ProvencalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.restaurantlulu.com/
- Phone: 4154955775x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday- Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - close, Saturday & Sunday: 5:00pm - close, Light Menu: Monday - Friday: 2:30pm - 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, French
- Executive Chef: John Hennigan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site, full service catering is available. Call the 415-495-5775 ext. 203 for more information or email email@example.com.
- Special Events: Contact LuLu to plan for your next special event or private dining at 415-495-5775 ext.203 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finders Keepers promo-50% off select wines daily.
Happy Hour Promo-50% off spirits, beer & wines by glass at bar 3-7pm daily.
A word from LuLu
Lulu offers a seasonal Provencal menu featuring wood fired oven, rotisserie and grilled specialties. The 'family-style' cuisine is served in an impressive warehouse dining space. LuLu features an award-winning wine list and a wine bar offering over 40 wines-by-the-glass. Located in the SOMA district, just one block from the Moscone Convention Center, Lulu is the ideal spot for lunch, cocktails or a festive dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
LuLu reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (57)fit for foodies (48)neighborhood gem (34)special occasion (28)notable wine list (26)great for lunch (16)vibrant bar scene (12)hot spot (11)romantic (9)kid-friendly (9)great for brunch (7)late-night find (2)Show More
- not impressesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/5/2014orders were wrong, bus boys rude, food not great, lemon soda way too sweetSpecial Features:
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/1/2014I was searching for places to celebrate my birthday and found Lulu on Yelp. It had good ratings and allowed me to reserve a table for 8. I was not disappointed. Walking in the first thing I noticed was the smell of deliciousness coming from the rotisserie and wood burning stove. I started with oysters, which were delicious, and had the pork and potatos for dinner. OMG it was so yummy! I nearly licked my plate clean. I finished with the chocolate cake, which was a little dry for my preference, and very rich, but still good. The service was good and there appeared to be a wide selection of alcohol from the bar. I would definitely recommend this place and intend to go back myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I remembered.FamdineDined on 1/25/2014Well,...., we went back to Lulu after years of staying away. I had great memories from the wonderful food and service. Unfortunately it was nothing like it was before. We had a total of 7 dishes for our table. I can easily tell you that not even one dish was anything good. Too bad.
- Living on past reputationbuddVIPDined on 1/25/2014Sad service, pricey for ok food. Staff slings out main meal before salads are finished. No one pays attention to detail. Save your money and try somewhere else. Never again...
- Betrayed by a memory!KeesaDined on 1/21/2014Having eaten at Lulu several times years ago, the memory of their delicious and juicy roasted chicken was urging me to walk faster to the restaurant! Though the skin was crunchy and delicious, the chicken itself was disappointingly dry and relatively flavorless so we left most of it. My husband was underwhelmed by the short ribs entree, saying my home-cooked version is tastier, but I enjoyed them. The best dish was the chicken gruyere croquettes appetizer. Now, if we could have just had a big plate of those as an entree instead of three itty, bitty ones, we would have been happy campers!
- But the roasted chicken is great...SianetaVIPDined on 1/17/2014Front door staff isn't trained well on how to greet, take coats, seat guests, but valet parking was superb... artisanal cheese plate was blah, but the roasted chicken plate will keep customers coming back... wait staff needed a pep talk, but the bus boys and bartenders were smart, cool and quick.
- Very nicejdnoVIPDined on 1/13/2014It was the first time at this restaurant. Our server was great! Friendly, knowledgable, attentive (but not too much). Really enjoyed the food. Nice wine list. I would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some good, some,quite badOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/11/2014Seemed tired to me, after all these years. Laughably small expensive "watercress" salad with tiny bit of watercress. One of three appetizers also laughably small: tiny "faro salad." I actually laughed. Noise level pleasant. Not at all "hip,' which was a plus for me. Lots of big parties, but not obtrusive.Special Features:
- Delicious Food/Great AmbienceInkhornDined on 1/11/2014We loved the elegant yet casual feel of LuLu - like dining in a cozy wine cellar. Our waitress was attentive, explained the specials, told us that all the food was served family style and served our drinks quickly. My Moscow mule, served in a brass cup, was delicious. We ordered the trio appetizer and chose the faro/cous cows salad, pate and gruyere tart. All were tasty but the tart's flaky crust was outstanding. We shared the swordfish special, served on a bed of greens. The fish was moist and seasoned with just the right amount of cumin. The portion was fine for two, which left enough room for lemon cream brulee topped with berries — refreshing. My only complaint was the choice of music — too loud rock music, which seemed out-of-place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still good after all these yearsflyingcornwomanDined on 1/10/2014Hadn't been to Lulu in a very long time. Went back with my college aged kids and it was 8 thumbs up. We liked everything we ordered - squash gnocchi and creamy polenta, truffle fries and pork were all delicious. It was very reliable comfort food. Our waiter was super friendly too. The atmosphere was really pleasant - not too crowded or noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great family dinnerjavierfinnegan1Dined on 1/3/2014there are five of us, including kids 7-16 with a vegetarian. there is something for everyone here and on a holiday week evening lots of locals and kids. oysters to pizza, all were satisfied and want to retun. our server was slow.....maybe it was the kids.Special Features:
- Seated immediately, with opentableninerfanDined on 1/3/2014Seated immediately, with opentable reservation. Waiter came by after 5 mins and asked for drink order/waters. 10 mins later, hostess came by and took our food order. after another 15, snagged the water/bread guy to get some bread, no one ever asked us. Another 30 to get our food. Didn't see waiter until food was nearly gone. Food was good, bit pricey for what it was. Felt like we didn't have a waiter or anyone that cared we were there. Not going back.
- LuLu DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/3/2014I had lunch at LuLu on Friday and it was just OK. It has been a few years since I've been there and I was disappointed. It was nothing special. The food was just OK. The service was fine and it was quiet but largely because there were so few diners. LuLu's needs to shake-up it's menu!
- I love LuLuPFunkSFVIPDined on 12/31/2013Never a bad meal have I eaten at LuLu and I have tasted from every section listed. They have a special of the day (go on suckling pig day if you're into pork). The wood fire oven produces amazing flavors and smells. Raw bar is great. The bar menu is awesome with knowledgeable staff and great wine selections. . There is a back room for larger parties. Family owned, they are also wonderful supporters of the neighborhood. Service is always spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful New Years Eve dinner!DiningQueenDined on 12/31/2013We had a great dinner at lulu! Service was fast and friendly and the food was really good! We especially appreciated that they had their regular menu as well as specials for the Eve! Didn't have to pay some outrageous price to have dinner out on NYE. I had the braided short ribs and mustard mashed potatoes and my friend had the flank steak, both yummy! My wine, a French Pinot Noir was fab, my friend had a Malbec that she thought was just ok. Waiter was fun and attentive. I would recommend for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An excellent dinner spot!prafulguptaDined on 12/31/2013We were a group of 6 friends and had our NYE dinner at the restaurant. It was a great experience! Everybody loved the food which was a mix of steak, veggie. lamb etc. The ambience was very nice! The hostess was very pleasant. We even asked to change our table because it was we could feel the heat from the pizza oven and she gladly changed our table while seating us. Highly recommend the place for a data night or just special occasion with family or friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible experienceKalexmccDined on 12/29/2013Excellent food, great ambience and some of the best service I have received anywhere. We took my mother-in-law for her birthday. Our waiter made everything special for her, including the birthday dessert. Our server was also very in tune with our young kids' needs and it made the whole night relaxing and easy. Everyone's food was perfectly done and delicious. Just love Lulu. It never disappoints.Special Features:
- Especially good Winter PlacealamoVIPDined on 12/28/2013Warm, comfortable, great place for family and friends. Family style dining encourages good conversation. Food is very good, especially the daily spit roasted special dish.
- Food was meh, service was goodSoundsterDined on 12/28/2013Ordered Rotisserie chicken, Salmon and Mushroom Pizza as entree. Truffle Fries and Mac n' Cheese as sides. Nothing really outstanding, but service was prompt.Special Features:
- Fun at Lulu'sWillyDined on 12/26/2013We had a memorable 21st Anniversary dinner here- the handicap accommodations were excellent, and the service was warm and timely.Special Features:
- Nice space. Food was just okay.NJDinerDined on 12/24/2013The food was okay but definitely could have been better. The salad with apples and pumpkin seeds was really disappointing. The squash soup was good but the pasta with mushroom bolognese had an overly smoky flavor. Overall, it was just okay and not worth the price.
- Wonderful food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/23/2013Wonderful food and service. We didn't book until the night before so were happy to get in. Had not been there in awhile and really enjoyed it!Special Features:
- Stay awayLostinSFDined on 12/22/2013Couldn't get valet service (under staffed), kitchen service was super slow and forgot 2 of our entrees that never ended up coming before our Party decided leaving.Special Features:
- Great eats off the oak fire.jboneDined on 12/22/2013Great eats off the oak fire. We had prime rib and a roasted chicken. both excellent. Quite loud, but we'd go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Same as it ever was...DavidSFOVIPDined on 12/21/2013LuLu has become a mainstay in the SF restaurant scene. Just a darn good place that rarely disappoints.Special Features:
- Solid performance at LuluOT123VIPDined on 12/21/2013This is a restaurant with great feel and very good food. I love the room and the overall feel of the restaurant. As for the food, the wood fired oven is great and we partook of both the chicken and pork dishes. Excellent. There is enough food that you might even think of splitting the entree. Antipasti was also outstanding. Service was very spotty and the waiter felt like he was pretty new. I would comment on dessert but, alas, the waiter failed to deliver it....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family dinnerJenjenDined on 12/20/2013We were able to make a reservation the same day for 6 on a Friday night. Spacious and great for group conversation. We ordered a couple tasty pizzas and a rotisserie chicken plus a few small plates. We were doing an "early Christmas dinner" and were so happy we went to LuLu. Good food, warm atmosphere, nice service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Place in SF SOMASFDinerDined on 12/20/2013Lulu is definitely one of the best restaurants in SF. The food is phenomenal, the service is top shelf; add to that the family style menu from small plate to entree…..and a great evening is sure to be had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!FootballernieDined on 12/20/2013Smoky Suckling Pig, juicy Flank Steak, and a full bodied Napa Valley Red wine. Who could ask for more???Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like finding an old friendOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 12/20/2013We hadn't been to LuLu in several years, so we decided to take the family before a holiday ballet. It was very pleasant! Friendly service, tasty food (particularly the Friday special, the roast suckling pig!). And as always, a warm, comfortable dining room. It was nice to be back, and we will look for reasons to return sooner this time.Special Features:
- Nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/13/2013All restaurants we went to for dinner in San Francisco were noisy and pricey. This one was no exception. The service was good but the food was nothing special. Chicken was good but not outstanding. Salmon was an especially small serving for the price. We don't live in the area but visit SF once a year. Some of the restaurants we tried this time we will keep on our list to return to next year. This is not one of them.
- Bread pudding a mustSweetZellaDined on 12/13/2013I travel to SF every December and always make it a point to dine at Lulu's at least once. Food is terrific. Service is great. Best bread pudding EVER.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OriginaloldschoolDined on 12/13/2013Lulu has been around for 21 years, that is crazy in restaurant years. The food was delicious. The squash gnocchi was especially good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Long ViewMaxxNYCDined on 12/13/2013Started going to Lulu while in SF once/year in the late 1990s. Always a VG/EX experience all-round. Had not been since ~2002. Went 2x last week for lunch - for the first time in over a decade. Was not disappointed. Still VG/EX a decade later. This is VG/EX by NYC standards. Quality food, service & ambiance yet refreshingly free of attitude, desperation and other distractions. Only Suggestion: Wait staff clearly stretched too thin for the volume & pace of lunch clientele. To their credit, the principals did not hesitate to help the staff serve when things get too busy. Speaks volumes about the motivation & function of the restaurant as a whole. Well Done Lulu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud, most food was goodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/12/2013We were at a table in a corner, where it was quieter, but it was still pretty noisy. The grilled chicken and salad was great and plentiful, but the flank steak was very small. The ravioli was bland. The wild mushroom pizza was good. It is very close to the Moscone Center and our group of 7 came here to dine and talk. But it was hard to hear from one end if the table to the other.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lulus_at_noonedslistDined on 12/12/2013Comfortable room. Friendly and capable staff. Lunch menu good to excellent (brussels sprouts are superb). A little pricey but very convenient to Moscone Center. Room fills fast at lunch time, but the bar is comfortable and a good choice if no table available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuLu's is a San Francisco stapleJMEfoodieDined on 12/9/2013I love LuLu's I have been going there for years. The dinner specials every night are excellent. The pizza's for lunch are always good. They have a huge rotisserie that servers up very moist chicken and meat dishes. It can be a bit loud at times. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good wines, good timesSFmeVIPDined on 12/9/2013Four of us enjoyed a wonderful evening at LuLu. I come here every time I am in San Francisco. The wine flights are fun and the menu has so many choices with interesting combinations of flavors and textures. I have been coming to LuLu for years, and look forward to returning. The food, wine selection and service are consistently great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service fell out the bottomswagVIPDined on 12/8/2013I've been going to Lulu's on and off for a good 15 years now. This last visit was shockingly bad, service-wise. Missed plates, no replacement silverware, a 45-minute wait for dessert (that was comp'ed, mind you)... I'm never the service whiner, but they earned this.
- All those attended felt theirPennyDined on 12/6/2013All those attended felt their food was superb. We ordered the chicken, flank steak, salmon and the ribeye which two people shared. Just a few downsides: We ordered coffee and it was served cold. Waited 10 minutes for new cup then was told the coffee pot or burner was broken. Switched to tea. Later another waiter actually was able to bring us coffee. Also, there is a lounge connected to the restaurant which was playing loud music. It made it difficult to talk.Special Features: