816 Folsom St.
San Francisco, CA 94107Neighborhood:
ProvencalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.restaurantlulu.com/
- Phone: (415) 495-5775
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday- Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - close, Saturday & Sunday: 5:00pm - close, Light Menu: Monday - Friday: 2:30pm - 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, French
- Executive Chef: John Hennigan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site, full service catering is available. Call the 415-495-5775 ext. 203 for more information or email email@example.com.
- Special Events: Contact LuLu to plan for your next special event or private dining at 415-495-5775 ext.203 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finders Keepers promo-50% off select wines daily.
Happy Hour Promo-50% off spirits, beer & wines by glass at bar 3-7pm daily.
A word from LuLu
Lulu offers a seasonal Provencal menu featuring wood fired oven, rotisserie and grilled specialties. The 'family-style' cuisine is served in an impressive warehouse dining space. LuLu features an award-winning wine list and a wine bar offering over 40 wines-by-the-glass. Located in the SOMA district, just one block from the Moscone Convention Center, Lulu is the ideal spot for lunch, cocktails or a festive dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
LuLu reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (52)fit for foodies (39)neighborhood gem (34)special occasion (21)notable wine list (20)great for lunch (15)vibrant bar scene (14)hot spot (12)romantic (7)great for brunch (5)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- Thoroughly enjoyedJaxRonDined on 6/17/2014As before, the food and drink were great. Not a large menu but what they do, they do exceedingly well. Service is impeccible tool.Special Features:
- Great experienceEastBayRoVIPDined on 6/15/2014The wood fire grill options are the highlight of their menu, although they have a notable shellfish listing as well. Great wine list and now offering wine flights for those that like to sample. The flavors and seasonal offerings are wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuLu'sMacsReviewsDined on 6/14/2014The food choices were good but what really impressed was the service. Our server was excellent, he was attentive, made excellent recommendations...I would definitely go again..........Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014The iron skillet roasted mussels were hands-down the best dish of the night. They were actually a revelation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to Lulu's!feedmyfaceDined on 6/13/2014Food was fantastic. Service was exceptional. Price was a little high. We all wanted our own dinner plates, and they did that for us, even though it was a family style dinner. We asked for a table away from the wood burning oven (it can get a little smokey) and they gave us a nice table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again!FlaneurVIPDined on 6/10/2014We continue to rely on LuLu as a terrific place to bring guests - and we enjoy it ourselves. The service is always superb and friendly and the food is a delight. We discovered LuLu twenty years ago on a visit to San Francisco; now that we're living here we rediscovered this SoMa gem and marvel that it has aged so much better than we have!Special Features:
- FantasticDavidDined on 6/7/2014We returned to Lulu's that had been an old favorite. I was concerned after reading other reviews that suggested this restaurant had faded. We found this not to be so. It was fantastic. The service was excellent; the food was interesting and skillfully done. The wine selection is excellent. A wonderful night.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would avoid this placeSFfoodmanVIPDined on 6/3/2014The restaurant is super loud and a large open space, so prepare to yell the entire meal. We ordered the Tuesday special (each day has a set special that repeats weekly), and they came back to tell us they were out of it. So then we ordered their chicken rotisserie which they're famous for. About 10 minutes later, they came back to our table to say they were out of that too. Okay, what gives? They didn't seem too apologetic about it. Like it's no big deal that they're out of everything on the menu. So finally, I ordered the salmon. A small piece of overcooked fish came out. The food and experience was not too satisfying. I wouldn't return.
- Used to be my favePortlandOmnivoreDined on 5/30/2014Mussels were still outstanding as was bread pudding dessert. However server was rather new and not very smart when it came to answering questions. He should have referred them to more experienced people rather than faking answers. Had better meals elsewhere on this trip.
- not the place for steak!winegirlVIPDined on 5/25/2014I ordered my steak "medium with no red" and it was brought to the table with the center still raw. I gave the restaurant second chance to make the steak. The second one arrived well done with barely any pink inside. I'm appalled that professional chefs can't come closer to the mark than these two attempts. Worse, the waiter dropped us like a hot potato as soon as the first steak was sent back. Forget ordering anything else to drink. LuLu really needs to look at their kitchen and wait staff if it wants to be a restaurant which lives up to its prices and past quality level.
- Lulu is tiredMusselloveVIPDined on 5/24/2014After many years of outstanding fresh food, Lulu looks ready to retire. this visit was very disappointing as the food came out like an average dining room from a mediocre hotel. Nothing memorable, nothing that felt fresh or interesting in the dishes we ordered. The melange of vegetables, which ruled the table for many years, was boring, soggy and completely mediocre. It has been a really nice ride for Lulu, and it might keep going for years and years catering to the conference crowds from Moscone. But for us, San Franciscans, it is very hard comparing it to what it once was. Perhaps it's time for a new creative and visionary point of view to join the team and help steer it away from the rocks? It is worth the try.
- Friendly neighborhood placeFabulousDined on 5/17/2014We enjoyed a meal after seeing the SF Giants, it is about a 15 minute walk from AT&T Park. The rotisserie chicken was outstanding. I had a lemon fis dish that was also great. The roasted asparagus was outstanding. Wines by the glass were well selected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday celebrationMajocalunaDined on 5/16/2014I'm very satisfied with my Birthday celebration at Lulu. I will recommend it for anyone likes to celebrate in group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable!GrottoDined on 5/15/2014I had not been to Lulu's in over 10 year but made a reservation for dinner when I had a friend visiting. We shared a sizzling platter of roasted mussels which were delicious, followed by salad, followed by the Proscutto/onion pizza. Everything was excellent and the service was very attentive. I won't wait 10 years again to go back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Use to be Great!BenTheretooDined on 5/15/2014LuLU has been my favorite restaurant for years, but not this time. We got the halibut and it was over cooked and not by a little. The salad was all vinegar you could tell very little effort was put into it.
- Avoid LuLuTiluDined on 5/11/2014LuLu used to be a vibrant restaurant with good food, particularly the rotisserie. We had not been there for years. Our visit recently revealed a restaurant that clearly caters to out-of-towners--convention crowd--that is stuck around the convention center and will essentially pay any price for any food. The food was less than mediocre and prices outrageously expensive, even for San Francisco standard. This is a place to avoid for sure. There is only one upside: there are a lot of tables and the space is big. So you will find a table, but the question remains: why even go there?
- Mothers Day BrunchjobidonyouDined on 5/11/2014Went there for Mother's Day Brunch at 1pm. Had a reservation and was seated fairly quickly as the place was not full. They said they were full from 11-1. Kids liked many items on menu (daughter is vegetarian). She picked Tomato Soup. Kids shared Mac & Cheese and a Margherita pizza. My wife and I shared the Beet Salad and Chicken Sandwich. My daughter was "unimpressed" with the soup and we agreed. Tasted like jarred tomato sauce. They took it off the bill. The rest of the meals where pretty good though I felt the basil oil on the chicken sandwich made it messy to eat. We had the bread pudding and lemon crème brûlée. Bread pudding was very good. Crème brûlée had a huckleberry topping which was OK but a bit to much extra sourness.Special Features:
- Good food and spaciousRestauranteurVIPDined on 5/10/2014Cameron was an excellent server, the food was unique and tasty, we had a good time!Special Features:
- Great foodHayatoDined on 5/9/2014Every food were amazing. There are a lot of wines in the lists. And price were affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuLu is always a winHowardSFVIPDined on 5/5/2014I normally love a restaurant when they are consistent. LuLu is more than consistent, they are always improving and never a disappointment. New choices on the menu, but it isn't overwhelming. Everything is always fresh and delicious. There are plenty of diverse choices for varied palates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FoodFM99Dined on 5/3/2014We three shared three different entrees, a salad, & two desserts. Asparagus salad was excellent with new tastes and perfectly cooked asparagus. Rotisserie Chicken & Duck were moist, tender, & very tasty, with superb accompanying salads that incorporated some boiled potatoes and fruit. Our guest's salmon was also fine. Dessert was to die for, especially the memorable Meyer lemon creme brulee with huckleberries. Other dessert was fine, just not as spectacular. All in all, an excellent dining experience and a fun evening.Special Features:
- Exorbitant Wine ListHerbVIPDined on 5/3/2014Food and service were fine in a half-empty restaurant on a Saturday night; however the Wine List was vastly overpriced and would be a deterrent to ever returning! It seems the place must live off conventioneers from nearby Moscone Center...Special Features:
- Casual gemAnonymousDined on 5/3/2014Great for lunch or dinner before or after theatre or shopping. Walkable distance from Union Square. The bread served with the meal is worth the calories, fresh and delicious. The small plates are great for sharing. You get to taste lots of delicious dishes Good wine and cocktail list. The fresh corn soup was amazing. If I lived near by I would eat here every week.
- Loved Juan (our server)OldDoDoDined on 5/2/2014We arrived an hour early for our dinner reservation and the hostess was so sweet and accommodated us. ( I was starving after a crazy work week of no lunch and salad dinners at my desk.) Juan was wonderful and the entire staff very attentive. The pasta was divine....and we were just in Italy for my 50 birthday party so our taste buds now know the real deal. Our dinner compared with anything we had there. And of course, the chocolate cake is always the way to end the evening....even if Juan introduced the new dessert items. Was last at LuLu 13 years ago. Will not wait that long to dine again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still LuLu after all these yearsFlaneurVIPDined on 4/28/2014Twenty (?) years ago we visited newly-opened LuLu with friends who were also visiting San Francisco - they were East Coast restauranteurs and had heard the buzz about LuLu. I still remember the frito misto I had that night - fabulous. Fast forward: we're now living in San Francisco and racking our brains to remember the name of that restaurant. Lo, and behold, we walked into LuLu's and realized "This is it!" The food was a terrific as ever, the family-style service works well, the wait staff is attentive and friendly, and the menu reflects an intelligent take on what people both want and need today. We've gone back a few times since being "reunited" with LuLu, and since it's in the neighborhood, it's destined to become our regular spot.Special Features:
- Lulu remains solid and dependablefoodieDined on 4/21/2014Tho not exactly "cutting edge" anymore, Lulu remains a good, solid restaurant. Skillet roasted mussels and the portobello mushrooms with polenta were shared and enjoyed. My guest had a beef entree (I forget which one), I had salmon. My salmon was very tasty and was served with perfect polenta, charred spring onions and broccolini. My guest has celiac disease and our server was extremely helpful as she navigated the menu to make appropriate choices. If he wasn't sure if a certain dish had wheat, he was quick to find out the answer. We both enjoyed our dinner and will return when the opportunity arises.Special Features:
- Love the MusselsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/14/2014Excellent lunch spot, and the skillet mussels were absolutely wonderful. They forgot some of our special requests and had to be asked for water twice, but other than that, great lunch.Special Features:
- unsatisfiedunsatisfiedDined on 4/12/2014the food server was horrible and not attentive. It is not worth the food to endure bad service, she was so noticeably bad people at a near table even commented on her.
- Get the pork loinAlfieVIPDined on 4/11/2014Loved the food and the recommendations from the waiter. He was really helpful. The pork dish was very flavourful. I could definitively visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before the theater...OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/5/2014Eight of us including an 8 year old for an early dinner on a Saturday. Seated quickly, cocktails ordered, accommodating late arrivals with ease. Pork loin, rosemary chicken, duck, mac and cheese, calamari, steamed mussels, and a dozen oysters. Everything was excellent! We had plenty of time for dessert and cocktails...no rushing, no fussing, just great food. Because of the family style service, which was thoughtfully explained before we ordered, everyone got to try a little of everything...a great group experience!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Parking a problemLC52VIPDined on 4/4/2014This is a wonderful restaurant but the big issue was no parking. The sign said they have valet service but when we got there at 5:45 I guess they hadn't started yet. Valet should start as soon as the restaurant opens. Be prepared for a long walk otherwise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very pleasant surpriseHomerVIPDined on 3/31/2014The food was outstanding, especially the sauces, and the portions were generous. We enjoyed our meal with flights of wine for variety. It was a warm and friendly place all around. Great choice!Special Features:
- Reliable GemMilfordDined on 3/28/2014I've gone to LuLu for years and almost every visit has been has been winner with guests. A great menu for any occasion from birthdays, visitors from out of town, or because it's Tuesday. Staff is trained well, accommodating, and friendly without being cloying.Special Features:
- Tasty, interesting foodHeleneDined on 3/22/2014We went to this open hearth restaurant with a group of friends: vegetarians and omnivores alike. Everyone found food they enjoyed and shared as this food is served " family style". Environment was lively. Service quick and friendly. We will return. And my nickname is Lulu (no relation).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome food, service and wine!DC415Dined on 3/21/2014brought some friends from out of town to LuLu's for the first time and had an amazing experience. every dish was delicious and we really loved the family style sharing at LuLu's because we all got to taste everything! from the delicious prosciutto pizza, to the appetizer clams, to the tender and savory rotisserie chicken, to the scrumptious and decadent warm chocolate and bread pudding desserts ... delicious to the last bite. the wine selection is also expansive, and the cocktails creative. can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/21/2014I walked in expecting a nice meal because the decor is impressive, but the food was not good. I ordered pork cooked over a spit. It was dry to the point of being crunchy and hard to eat. My fiance ordered sherry at the end of the meal and it had turned sour. I will not return unless I accidentally walk in on a trip to zero zero.
- Great service. WonderfullyHappyDined on 3/16/2014Great service. Wonderfully tolerate to people sitting and chatting for hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lulu's used to be fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/14/2014Lulu's used to be fantastic food. What happened? The quality of the food was poor and the service was poor. Too badSpecial Features:
- Lulu's is lovelyHatenoisyVIPDined on 3/12/2014Really fun food experience. Love the room. Spacious. Noise level is nice for listening and talking. We will go back again..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nicely preparedAdinerDined on 3/11/2014Lulu is always a satisfying experience... The space is good looking, the food is good and the service is fine.Special Features: