Lulu & Me
253 5th Ave
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Lulu & Me
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.luluand.me/
- Phone: 212-290-2460x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 12:00 - 5:00 P.M.
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00PM - 10:00PM; Thursday - Saturday: 5:00 - 10:30; Sunday - 5:00 - 7:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Karen Fohrhaltz Miele
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Lulu & Me
Nomad's neighborhood restaurant/bar featuring chef Karen Fohrhatz Miele's delicious, healthful and creative food and a distinctive selection of wines, beers and cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lulu & Me reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (22)great for lunch (15)fit for foodies (7)great for outdoor dining (6)good for groups (6)great for brunch (5)special occasion (4)late-night find (3)romantic (2)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Neighborhood Gem IndeedMangiaDined on 8/5/2014This small bar/restaurant offers delicious food and friendly service in a relaxed atmosphere. And the price is right! In this neighborhood, it is my go to place.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedGuacAliciousVIPDined on 7/30/2014Met a friend for lunch. Didn't know what to order. The server suggested the chicken salad and it was delicious. I love that it was chopped in pieces. I would like to return to try other dishes, or even go in the evening for a cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- probably 3.5 across the boardml8itVIPDined on 7/26/2014I needed a last minute reservation for 7 people on a Saturday night in the NoMad area... Lulu & Me was perfect. It was surprisingly empty, which worried me. But, the food was good and it was quiet enough that we could all talk to each other. Two people in my group got the rib eye, which went over very well. I had the shrimp and cod cakes which were tasty. The cauliflower side was on the bland side. Everyone else seemed to like their dishes. They accomodated one substitution with ease. Overall, I would say it's a good solid place that can please a range of palates, but it's not knocking anyone's socks off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected gem in Midtown Southnevercook31Dined on 7/14/2014Lulu & Me never fails to satisfy. Whether for lunch or dinner, the food always is at least VERY good, the service just right (not intrusive, not negligent), and the atmosphere hits just the right note. Even when the bar is crowded, I'm able to hear my companions, and they me. No one has to scream over too-loud music to be heard. The staff is accommodating, friendly, and down-to-earth. No divas here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Fair ServiceAY26Dined on 7/10/2014Had a group lunch of 6 people. Service was good when we arrived with water offered. Kitchen speed was prompted. I tried the Salmon and others had sandwich. The food was good. However, the service was noticeably missing after the food was served. Will try other restaurant next time.Special Features:
- Unexpectedly SpicyMishDined on 7/9/2014Overall our experience was good. We loved the variety on the menu. The service was prompt and friendly. Unfortunately, I ordered a seafood pasta special, and the broth was extremely spicy. More so than I could tolerate. The cous cous that came with my friends shrimp dish was also hot and spicy. Neither of us would have ordered these dishes had we known. The server really should have mentioned it. We did share several appetizers, and all were delish. I'd have no problem going back, but I would be more cautious about what I order.Special Features:
- very nicenjfoodieVIPDined on 6/27/2014We were in NY for a long weekend, needed something in our neighborhood. Lulu and Me was a delight --- service was attentive, food was good, we would go back.Special Features:
- Under the radar gemsingmasingVIPDined on 6/16/2014This quiet, unpretentious restaurant serves unusual, delicious fare in a warm and very "New York" environment. The service was excellent. It's the kind of place that makes you feel welcome, offers dishes that are perfectly prepared and just a little different, and makes you want to come back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerVAmomDined on 6/14/2014We went with the server's recommendations and thoroughly enjoyed our "selections", one of which was a chicken dish and one a vegetarian dish. Desserts were yummy, too. It was a birthday dinner and they added their touch (a candle, song and some champagne) to our celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeCool1215Dined on 6/13/2014My friend's son & his girlfriend are in town for visit. We had dinner at Lulu & Me - all I can say the food was amazing & the service was outstanding. I recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceHotCoupleDined on 6/3/2014We went on a Tuesday night at 6:30 and the place was pretty quiet most of the time. The salmon was great and the fries were tasty. We would go back.Special Features:
- The following 102 reviews are from the Lulu & Me reviews archive.
- Good findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014We were a party of four girls - lovely meal and very good service. We hoped the bar would be busier so that we could linger but it was a nice place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A welcome find...luv2dineoutDined on 5/3/2014I started with the roasted shrimp and for my entree ordered the eggplant rollatini. The dishes are not overly large, but delicious and well presented. The rioja was quite nice too! The service was excellent...very helpful and attentive. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- DT82Dined on 4/9/2014Lulu, ideal for a first meal only a block away from your hotel on the first night in NY. The mussels, ideal meal after a flight in from Europe, light and tasty. Salmon ok, but nothing special. Missed some simple bread with the meal. Ordered a bottle of wine with the meal, missed a small amuse guele at the start of the meal considering the amount of money we spent. Yulia was helpfull and attentive, and kept a fine balance in not being too familiar. Price quality compared to other restaurants is ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Neighborhood Spotoperafan141Dined on 4/9/2014We enjoyed a really nice lunch at this restaurant. I highly recommend the lobster and shrimp salad - very light and fresh, really delicious- and the poached pear was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 4/1/2014When a friend suggested we grab a quick dinner, I said we should go to LuLu and Me after having such a stellar experience before. I ordered the ribeye, medium rare. It came out medium well (almost well) and I called our server over. He was apologetic and took it back to the kitchen. When he brought it back, he said the chef had cut it in half and said it was a medium rare center, even though you could clearly see it was mostly grey. If I hadn't been starving (I hadn't eaten anything since 7am!) I would have argued for them to fix it, but after complaining and seeing nothing was clearly going to be done, I ate it. It was tasteless and chewy and I was embarrassed I had suggested the place. A manager never even came over to check on us.
- It's not easy locating a placeLNF1VIPDined on 3/28/2014It's not easy locating a place for dinner in this area. Surprised at how tasty the food was. Service was good, but for a small space, the nose level was off the wall. Might try for lunch.Special Features:
- vieggie sidesmodularmarkVIPDined on 3/16/2014the farro and also the beans and greens are specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monday may be an off nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/24/2014Early monday dinner. Staff relatively friendly. 2 out of 3 shrimp dishes under cooked but corrected.... Never the same. A little pricey for the level of cuisine but area dictates that. Would not avoid but would not seek out again
- Great for lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/24/2014Good food Fair prices Good service Clean and inviting atmosphere What else could you wantI would recommend this to a friend.
- never a bad mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 2/21/2014I eat at Lulu's for lunch on a regular basis, because my office is a block away, and I have never had a bad meal. Food is fresh and full of flavor. The only issue is that the fries are irresistible!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food OK, but horrible serviceAnondinerDined on 2/14/2014The waitress was borderline rude, as she seemed to want to avoid saying a single word to us. The food was decent but nothing special, had the tagliolini which tasted good but the portion was kid-sized while being priced in the high 20's. I think I finished it in 4 bites, and needless to say, had to fill up at mcdonalds afterwards.
- Nice findFoodieDined on 2/7/2014We went here for lunch. Great service, delicious food, nice ambience. I had the hake sandwich and lentil soup of the day. Recommend both. Will be back if in the neighborhood again.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/30/2014I took a group of 7 friends and every person love this neighborhood gem. Even though we were a larger group, the service staff and restaurant made us feel like we were the only party that mattered. I also noticed there were many cute couples enjoying lovely date experiences! I would totally go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a wonderful lunch there.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/28/2014We had a wonderful lunch there. The french fries were amazing. The service was nice but it was a little difficult to get the waitress to come to our table. I feel at lunch time they should be a little more speedy since most of us have to get back to work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WelcomeNYL1Dined on 1/13/2014A group of 8, we recently had a welcome lunch for a new staffer. The service was friendly and the food was amazing. Everyone loved their selection especially the eggplant rollitini and the crab cake appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun, great food, no attitudebrooklyn2napoliDined on 1/10/2014we were led to our table by the very amiable maitre d', bill. friday night, place was packed, upscale young crowd at the bar, somewhat boisterous but nice. the dining room a mixed bag age and attire-wise, clearly the friendly attitude at the door creates a welcoming feel. being in various states of hungritude, we ordered various items to share: luscious mini-meatballs, moist and tasty; slow-cooked pork "piadini", flatbread rollups full of taste; roasted shrimp with classic romesco sauce, 6 big ones for 10 bucks; pappardelle with a simmered prok ragu; toasted farro, with prosciutto for that little salty burst; a beautifully dressed arugula and carrot salad for 8 bucks. calabrian red for under $40 (!!!!) tasted 2X the price. great all-around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cool vibefitfoodieDined on 12/31/2013went for an early new year's eve dinner. had and recommend the zuppa di pesce, four cheese fritters, baked ricotta, and a chocolate cake that was just right for an end of meal. our waitress was outstanding, had a great personality, and was attentive without being annoying, she also made one of the best vodka negroni's i have ever had.Special Features:
- What might have been...homechefDined on 12/26/2013To be fair to the restaurant, all signs looked good at the start. The menu seemed appealing, the noise level was low so we expected we'd be able to hear ourselves think, and converse. There were a few other patrons when we arrived, which was around 7:30 on a Thursday night, so we figured things would pick up shortly. The other patrons finished their meals but no one replaced them. Quiet reigned, which was great for conversation with our guests, but left us wondering where the action was. A day and a half later I can't for the life of me recall what any of us ate.. The service was attentive if impersonal. It didn't make any of us feel that we looked forward to returning, and what restaurant wants diners to walk out the door unimpressed?Special Features:
- Great NoMad SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/5/2013My wife and I stopped at LuLu after visiting Eataly. It's a great find in the neighborhood. Had a nice buzz, staff was very welcoming and the food was both creative and excellent. I had a pappardelle ragu and the zuppe di Pesci. Both were terrific with the sauce on the pasta and the broth in the soup being amazing. And the other ingredients were first rate. The wine list is diverse and reasonable. A falanghina and Calabrian red were perfect with our dishes. And the price is right. If you are looking for first rate food & wine in a casual, but bustling, environment LuLu is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely food and wineSooz830Dined on 12/3/2013I was traveling alone and although I hate to dine out alone, I checked out Lulu and was very happy wiht the experience. I tried three appetizers (small portions) and really enjoyed them, along with a glass of Rioja. For dessert, I had a raspberry walnut tart with a glass of a dessert wine my server recommended, and it was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceJDUWSDined on 11/15/2013The location isn't exactly a restaurant hub, but Lulu is a great little place with a lot of character and excellent food. We had a fairly early dinner reservation and the restaurant was empty when we arrived but the bar was bustling for happy hour. By the time we left at 9, the place was packed with large and small groups. It was lively but not overwhelmingly loud. The food was interesting, fresh and wonderfully prepared. Our server was fun and knew exactly what we needed in terms of timing our dishes (we ordered a random selection of apps and entrees) and keeping the drinks flowing. Great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GOOD FOOD BUT QUITE LOUDmcfromYQBDined on 11/7/2013The food and service was quite good. The loudness from the bar which seemed quite popular with the Korean after work crowd was quite over the top. Overall it was good. Food was very fresh and tasty.Special Features:
- Solid bistroNYCwoman1Dined on 10/24/2013Found the service and food here surprisingly good. I had picked the place for the location, near an event and wasn't expecting much. Everyone was pleasant and responsive and the food was very tasty and reasonably priced - what more can you ask for. I also appreciated their healthy vegetable side dishes. I'll likely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Came here based on good Yelpmay091VIPDined on 10/23/2013Came here based on good Yelp reviews. The restaurant itself was very charming and intimate. They had a decent wine list with some pretty reasonable wines by the glass. I got the salad - nothing special, just a regular field greens type mix. The best part was the fries - it was a huge portion and the green bean mayo was delicious. The waitress was friendly tho my only complaint was she barely checked on our table, even though the restaurant didn't seem very busy. Overall the restaurant is a great neighborhood gem, perfect for a date night or just catching up with girlfriends.Special Features:
- 2nd VisitcaraVIPDined on 10/19/2013This was our second time eating at Lulu & Me, and it did not live up to the first dinner. I actually ordered the same pasta both times, and the second time the pasts had some filler elements that were not on the menu. My friend's pasta was quite dry. I'd give this restaurant another try, but was a bit disappointed the second time around.I would recommend this to a friend.
- In a neighborhood with a fewvenusnycVIPDined on 10/6/2013In a neighborhood with a few worthy choices, add Lulu & Me to the list. It's a small-but-not-too-small place, with smart decor and a good vibe. Coming as a party of two on a Sunday evening, it was quiet but did not have that sad feeling so many restaurants do on their off nights. The high tops near the front are a nice place to sit. Service is friendly but not intrusive. Our waitperson was extremely helpful in parsing the differences between dishes with similar ingredients. All her suggestions were delicious. We shared a number of items but -- even as two women -- we were still hungry so ordered more. That is my one caveat: the dishes do add up so the final tally may come as a surprise. But I'm happy to pay for food that's worth eating.
- Nice night outCarabaldaDined on 9/28/2013In the neighborhood for a special event, I chose Lulu & Me for it's proximity to the party I had to go to and for the menu. Although the menu is not extensive, there were a number of items in all categories that I wanted to try, and the prices were reasonable. A wonderful waitress explained unknown ingredients in both our drinks and the dishes, and it was all wonderful. A heppy find that I'd love to return to.Special Features:
- neighborhood gemNancyVIPDined on 9/24/2013great food, great service and we return for its convenience on 5th ave. love the white shrimp dish!Special Features:
- Try the Lemon Shrimp Salad--mouthEllenDined on 9/23/2013Try the Lemon Shrimp Salad--mouth watering, delicious and healthy! Great prices for Manhattan business lunch. Menu was varied and tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.