2720 Main St.
Santa Monica, CA 90405Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lulacocinamexicana.com/
- Phone: 3103925711x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner:
Sunday - Tuesday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
Wednesday-Thursday: 3:00pm - 12:00am
Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 1:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Geraldine Gilliland
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full service catering, either out house or yours. Every aspect of your event will be handled by our professional and experienced Event planner & service staff.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer an out door patio that can seat 70 comfortably. We are also proud to offer Geraldine Gilliland's personal estate in Malibu for Catered events. www.ranchochiquita.com
- Private Party Contact: Hunter 314-323-4663x
- Special Events: We do all kinds of special events, from office catering and large dinner parties to off site catering and weddings. Give us a call today to chat!
A word from Lula Cocina
From the moment you walk into Lula, you are greeted with festive artwork from such respected chicano artists as Eloy Torrez, George Yepes, Carlos Almaras & Frank Romero. The cuisine is truly traditional Mexican with recipes from every corner of Mexico. Tamales & tortillas are made everyday in our kitchen. With over 500 Tequilas, Lula Cocina Mexicana is the largest Tequila bar in Los Angeles.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lula Cocina reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (6)kid-friendly (5)neighborhood gem (5)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (3)special occasion (3)hot spot (2)fit for foodies (1)romantic (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- PopsVIPDined on 8/20/2014A favorite in Main st, Santa Monica Their margaritas and Tequilas are outstanding...Special Features:
- AverageMisterFoodVIPDined on 8/12/2014Our second time here, nothing stands out. Perhaps the regulars know something we don't.
- I love Lula!!!FromagerVIPDined on 8/8/2014I come here every week with my fiancee!!! It's a gem!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bummer...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/26/2014unfortunately, every course was consistently bad and we went there for my daughter's b-day. I regret my choice. I got tired of sending things back so we ate around the bad stuff and wound up paying for a lot of food we didn't like and didn't eat. I am really bummed that that was such a bad dining experience on such a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great Mexican Street FoodFromagerVIPDined on 6/9/2014Tlacoyos are incredible!!! Love the food. Very prompt excellent service.Special Features:
- SalsaDAEFDined on 5/25/2014Salsa needs help. It is tired and bland. Time for an upgrade?
- The following 51 reviews are from the Lula Cocina reviews archive.
- diva45Dined on 5/11/2014Very good atmosphere, love the deco. Food was good, service a little slow - took a while to get our food but will go back.Special Features:
- Disappointed on May 4OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/4/2014We went to the restaurant for dinner on May 4th. We were surprised that instead of the regular menu, they were serving only a much smaller menu which they attributed to it being Cinco de Mayo weekend. So the dishes we wanted were not available. This was not advertised on their website. We were disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be betterRHKenjoysfoodDined on 3/8/2014Food was average, service disappointing. Had to ask waiter three times for some additional condiments. Good location but unlikely to go back.
- Reasonable but unremarkableInternationalfoodieVIPDined on 2/27/2014Reasonable but unremarkable California/Mexican cuisine. Very pleasant, friendly staffSpecial Features:
- fun. good foodJonnyLADined on 2/15/2014went to Lula for my birthday and they seated 17 of us comfortably. they have a fun atmosphere, good food, good service, and delicious cocktails. i'll definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is a cut above theNotafoodyDined on 2/14/2014The food is a cut above the ubiquitous Mexican restaurant in LA and you can take that from my wife who is from Guadalajara and is very picky about Mexican food in America. They have an excellent selection of tequilas and strong well mixed drinks.Special Features:
- Very good vegetarian options,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/8/2014Very good vegetarian options, our family was provided with a lot of choice!Special Features:
- We loved itBillDined on 1/25/2014Just the place for children wonderful ambience and v good foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for group work dinnersChuckDined on 12/9/2013Great place to go with people from work to unwind and do team building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2013Went for Dia de los Muertos - Tequila tasting at the door and hundreds of Tequilas on the menu. Excellent authentic Mexican food - large portions and satisfying!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe hire another bartender!LyndonVIPDined on 10/25/2013Multiple return customer however this last visit I almost left because the one bartender for the entire restaurant could not handle the business. The table service in the restaurant was much better and the food was goodx as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Mexican Restaurant onSofiaVIPDined on 9/20/2013Nice Mexican Restaurant on Main Street in Santa Monica. The food, atmosphere, and service were good as always. It also had an extensive vegetarian menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!torchDined on 9/14/2013What a great spot to celebrate, big or small. Dinner was delicious, drinks were delicious, and dessert, well, delicious. All in all a great place to have a bite to eat, chat and enjoy the scenes of the wonderful west side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice PlacejrobinsonVIPDined on 8/30/2013This place has been on Main Street for many years and has been excellent. We are there Friday night and the food was excellent, drinks great and service excellent. It was a pleasant evening on a warm summer night. This is not a gourmet place but the food is tasty, cooked well and interesting. I had the Yucatan pulled pork and it was great. Terrific casual place with a great Tequila bar.Special Features:
- Favourite Mexican spot in LAJuilavhaVIPDined on 8/25/2013Love Lula. Definitely worth the drive from our Beverly Hills home to Santa Monica --delish. Clean non greasy food - even the duck taco. Lean & no fat !!! Lovely service. Though we dine only occasionally. Jorge always remembers us down to my glass of ice !!!Special Features:
- So many choices, so little timeOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/9/2013I have NEVER seen a menu this extensive in a Mexican restaurant! Page after page of choices, including both traditional and creative approaches. It could have been a bit overwhelming, but the staff guided us through to a great dinner. Even my niece, who subsists almost entirely on four foodstuffs, found something that made her happy. The decor is fun and the restaurant radiates energy. Oh, and of course there are the margueritas :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lula disappointedAriasDined on 8/4/2013Lula's was a disappointment. We used to eat there often but the food quality has really gone down. The Baja fish tacos were so heavily battered and fried they were like cement and the rice was almost like instant rice. The salsa was very good but the lunch tasted as though it had been prepared a week earlier. Our friends were unable to join us and after we had lunch I was glad they weren't there! So sorry.Special Features:
- This place has really gone downhillRebeccaBBinLAVIPDined on 7/29/2013We stopped in for a mid-week dinner and drinks. Almost every aspect of the experience was bad. The zucchini flowers were clearly frozen and maybe even made somewhere else. They just re-fried them and the middle was still cold. The sauce with them was thick and tasted canned. The chips and salsa blah. The meat in the tacos tasted frozen-defrosted with no taste and a weird texture. What a disappointment.
- Always great fun to be here.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/26/2013Always great fun to be here. The restaurant has great spirit, as do the servers! Creative and interesting every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's all about the margaritasOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/16/2013I use my calories judiciously. Therefore, when I have a margarita I expect it to have a kick. In other restaurants I'm always disappointed that I end up drinking just a big glass of lime juice and sugar. Lula's margaritas always delivers! They have great authentic Mexican food with menu items you won't find elsewhere. Oh, and don't expect the fajitas. I think they feel the same way about those as I feel about carrots... Not to be bothered with! The staff is always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Second VisitSurfBumDined on 6/7/2013This was the second time I’ve been to Lula Cocina. The first time I went along with a group of friends, and the food and service was good. However this time was different. Went with a close friend to catch-up on things. We had chips and salsa, shared a combo plate and had a total of two beers and two house margaritas. The service was just OK, and we never did get the tortillas we asked for. The food there is not your average Mexican fare (which is good) and is supposed to be a cut above the rest, however on this visit it was decidedly poor. Half the items on the combo platter were overcooked. One was completely inedible. Total came to over $60 before tip. Beers are really overpriced. Overall, it's just not worth it.
- First Time For BrunchKatieDined on 4/28/2013I usually go for dinner but this time I went in the afternoon. The soft chicken taco was really good. The shrimp and goat cheese quesadilla was ok not fabulous. Service was excellent. This is a fun place and I have come here several times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very good - houseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/8/2013Food was very good - house margaritas are outstanding! Service was excellent. Patio was calm and quite.Special Features:
- Do you like Tequila?mcstevebVIPDined on 3/27/2013Great food. Wonderful Tequila selection. Be sure to get a recommendation from RaphaelSpecial Features:
- Love this place. Great margaritasOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/15/2013Love this place. Great margaritas and food! Kids love it too.Special Features:
- I brought my whole familyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/17/2013I brought my whole family and the chicken was dried out. We were never checked apon. Noise level out of control.Special Features:
- We were seated on plasticOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013We were seated on plastic chairs and table, the table was small, we were seated against a brick wall.... the food wasn't very tasty.... we got only one napking each and had to beg for additional napkins.Special Features:
- Meh ...JamesJudeDined on 2/11/2013I hadn't eaten at Lula's in probably 10 years or so, and now I remember why ... very mediocre, certainly nothing special for the money. It wasn't awful, but that's not really a recommendation ...
- Great to find a Mexican placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/9/2013Great to find a Mexican place with a broad and unusual menu. Different sauces, lots of specialties for us vegetarians. all the food had a unique flavor, not thrown together with a dose of red salsa. the green tomatillo sauce over crab escaabeche enchilada was delicate and so flavorful. So many things I want to order. It was a busy Saturday night. We had 7 picky eaters, a great waiter and everyone was happy when we left. fast service and reasonable (not cheap but reasonable for quality food) We will be back!Special Features:
- Excellent quality. AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/7/2012Excellent quality. Amazing margaritas though strong. Great for large groups. We had a party of 22.Special Features:
- Just all around great experience,MichaelVIPDined on 8/11/2012Just all around great experience, delicious food, curtious and attentive waiters. I love this place!Special Features:
- Everything but the MargsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/28/2012The margs are just so-so. Everything else is great though. Large selection on the menu.Special Features:
- Make sure you dine at Lula!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/30/2012We always stop at Lula for lunch when we visit California. We have been coming for over 10 years. The service is great, very accomodating. Food is good- something for everyone. We love sitting outside in the back.Special Features:
- Booths were not as comfieDrShorterVIPDined on 5/23/2012Booths were not as comfie as they look from the outside, but food was fairly good. The salsa was definitely salty and roasted which goes great with their fantastic margs. Skip the squash blossoms (usually a great option, these are over battered, over fried). The chile rellenos are excellent as are the enchiladas.