Luibueno's Mexican & Seafood Restaurant
66-165 Kamehameha Hwy
Haleiwa, HI 96712Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Luibueno's Mexican & Seafood Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.luibueno.com/
- Phone: 8086377717
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00 am - 5:00 pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00 pm - 9:30 pm
Happy Hour- 3:00 pm-5:00 pm & 9:30 pm- 10:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mexican, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Erik Anthony Remick
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For catering give Lui himself a call at (808)561-5150. He will be more than happy to sit down with you and customize your party menu. Feel free to get some ideas and check out our online menu at www.luibueno.com
- Cross Street: Amara Rd.
- Public Transit: For Northbound travelers you will need to get off the bus at Kamehameha HWY + Opp Emerson RD (Stop ID # 2241). If you are traveling Southbound you will need to get off at Kamehameha HWY + Haleiwa RD. (Stop ID # 2240). For additional information on holidays or possible detours please refer to www.thebus.org
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We are located in the Haleiwa Town Shopping Center, next to American Savings Bank, and The Bank of Hawaii. The large parking lot surrounding the Plaza has ample lighting at night and you will rarely have trouble finding a spot.
A word from Luibueno's Mexican & Seafood Restaurant
Luibueno’s features Mexican and Spanish coastal cuisine infused with European flavors focusing on delectable seafood dishes as well as traditional Baja style Mexican food. Everything is made from scratch daily using the freshest ingredients obtained from local markets, farmers, and fishermen. Our lively bar has a unique and original drink menu featuring tasty Mexican and Latin cocktails. Our margaritas are made with fresh lime sour squeezed daily. Our fun and social atmosphere provides a colorful, casual, yet elegant setting- A place to get dressed up and enjoy a quality meal and excellent cocktails with friends and family. In addition we strive to be Eco-friendly, using bio-degradable paper products and cleaners, preserving food leftovers to for local pig farmers, donating fryer oil to make bio-diesel, and recycling grease to Island Commodities. We strive to provide a lasting positive impression that will keep our guests coming back again and again-like a home away from home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Luibueno's Mexican & Seafood Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- Night of fun and laughsgoldtexan1Dined on 12/27/2013The place was fun and the food was good. Enjoyed our family get together at your restaurant. We all think you need nachos on your menu. We are from Texas so nachos are our go-to appetizer, always. The guacamole and queso was good, but still appetizers should include nachos ........Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is ok.808mikeDined on 12/21/2013Found this restaurant online and looked forward to the novelty of eating at a new restaurant to celebrate my birthday. Pros: Drinks were delicious, although alcohol seemed on the minimal side. Server was nice and non-intrusive. Our toddler received a "free" ice cream and we got a candle to blow out on our dessert. Cons: Husband ordered ahi enchilada, but got pork instead. I ordered paella and expected more from my $28 dish; the portion was small, the seafood salty, and most importantly, I couldn't get past the fact that my rice was lukewarm. I was tempted to ask them to heat up my entree but felt too embarrassed to ask. In addition, our water was refilled only once. Have to think hard before returning here.
- Best Mexican food in HawaiiCalinolacDined on 10/18/2013This place serves very authentic Mexican food! Loved the service and atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly service with great food.CathyDined on 10/16/2013Service was friendly with good recommendations. Great drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great foodalexDined on 10/15/2013We've been regulars for a few years. We've never been disappointed. The grilled ahi tacos are to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lost some points since last timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/12/2013We have been there about three times now. This past time, the noise inside the restaurant was nearly unbearable, it was so loud. We were seated, had our food, and were out within 25 mins. We felt completely rush by our waitress, who never asked if we wanted anything else. She was quite abrupt, although not completely unpersonable or unfriendly. We've had the guacamole before and it was great. On this visit, bland. My husband's burrito and my enchiladas were okay, not anything great. We would return, just in hopes that the food and service would return to previous levels.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mexican Food on this islandOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/9/2013Best Mexican food so far on this island. Service was great and everyone was friendly. Very clean so no complains there. The margaritas are also yummy!! Kids loved the food too. We are coming here all the times but make sure to reserve a table otherwise you might be waiting for one for a while!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you like scallops, thisOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/8/2013If you like scallops, this is the place to have them. They were to die for! Margarita's were excellent. Service was very good as well. I would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Never disappointed when weOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/3/2013Never disappointed when we visit Luibueno's! I always enjoy the chef's special. The food is very good, the beer is ice cold, and the atmosphere is lively. The service is also top notch! The wait staff are intinately familiar with the menu and can describe the details of each dish in such a manner that you want to begin eating right away! This is a regular stop for me and my family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It has been awhile since ourOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/29/2013It has been awhile since our first visit to Luibueno's. We were pleased to see the menu has expanded and our favorite desserts are still being served. All the waitresses were very friendly and helpful. We will be back sooner than last time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Friday NightLenlenDined on 5/3/2013Food is delicious and really authentic! Service was impeccable! Our servers name is Clinton and he knew that menu front to back and every single ingredient in all the dishes! Margarita are perfectly made also! It's really hard to find good Mexican places here in Hawaii this one surpassed my expectations. I'm from San Diego and Houston so I know my Mexican food pretty well. The beer battered fish tacos are to die for and the carne asada taco brought back fond memories. Love it highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were very pleased withHum12Dined on 4/9/2013We were very pleased with Luibueno's. We made our reservation an hour before driving down the coast to dinner and they were very apologetic that our table was not ready when we arrived. We were seated within 10 minutes which was fine with us. My wife's entree was slightly scorched but tasted fine. Mine was excellent. Noise level was high due to the bar crowd. An earlier dining time or a different night probably would have been better.
- Luibueno's is one of our favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/18/2013Luibueno's is one of our favorite restaurants. The food is exceptional and the staff is friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely the best meal inSantaDined on 3/16/2013Absolutely the best meal in the area!!! Seared scallops with tequila sauce awesome. !!!Special Features:
- I usually love this place.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/13/2013I usually love this place. Been many times and loved it every time. But this time, the food and tamarind margarita were slightly off. First time I tried the Carne Asada burrito and it had no flavor. I'll stick to the fish next time. And their guacamole had a touch too much citrus. Will prob go again, but may hit Cholo's before then.Special Features:
- We enjoyed both appetizersSSYAVIPDined on 3/9/2013We enjoyed both appetizers of Queso Fundido & Clams in garlic broth. We preferred the queso served with toasted bread instead of the soft torilla it's served with now. The paella was huge & tasty. The carnitas entree was good. They did not give a steak knife for the steak asada, so we had to ask for one. It was better the last time. No room for dessert. :(Special Features:
- Will definitely return whenjessicarabbit15VIPDined on 2/22/2013Will definitely return when we are on the North Shore next. Glad we made a reservation as it was packed (ie. 2 hour wait) when we showed up. Place is small and very loud, which we didn't like as we wanted to be able to talk over dinner. Service was good, my food (seared ahi taco and shrimp taco) were the best tacos I've ever had in my life. My boyfriend says his enchiladas were good but nothing special. overall a ggreat restaurant, and thankful it is there as the north shore does not have many sit down restaurants.Special Features:
- Perfect spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013The service was great. And the food was excellent. I love this place, I will return.
- Great placeHungryGirlDined on 12/31/2012My husband and I go here all the time for dinner and they always have great service, even when we went on New Year's Eve. While it's not the Mexican food I grew up with, it is still delicious. They have extended their Happy Hour time, 3-6pm, and they have a great drink selection. Sometimes they run out of their specials, but you can expect that when their specials depend on local fishermen's catch. The Seared Scallops in Tequila Cream Sauce are my old standby as they are always incredible. I only wish for them to have real homemade tortillas.Special Features:
- price for mexican food isOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 12/23/2012price for mexican food is a bit high, but then again I do understand it's Hawaii. If you can't do anything about the price, quality of food could be better for me to perceive a great value, that said it's an ok value.Special Features:
- Great tacos and chips/salsa.ChrisHDined on 12/15/2012Great tacos and chips/salsa. I highly recommend the beer battered Mahi and Gobernador (shrimp).Special Features:
- Food and service were veryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/8/2012Food and service were very good. Cost is expensive and portions are somewhat on the smaller size.Special Features:
- 1st exper. =great 2nd exper.=badOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/13/2012The first time we went we had the beer-battered fish burritos and was completely blown away with the flavor! However, this time we were disappointed in the burritos. We couldn't figure out why but the flavor was much more bland. It was OK but we wished we had ordered something else. The place is always busy but the service is very quick! It was my husband's birthday and they surprised us by bringing an amazing empenada for us to share. It was very small but very good but she ended up charging us $7.50 for it! This thing is good but it is only about 3 inches in size and that is it, and we didn't ask for it. I asked her to fix it but she didn't.Special Features:
- great place for awesome food!disappointedDined on 10/7/2012great place for awesome food! Not enough wait staff so it took too long to get our second round of drinks -- it didn't arrive till after dinner. But otherwise a fun spot with yummy food.Special Features:
- Waiter and staff were verySurfadudeDined on 9/8/2012Waiter and staff were very attentive. Service was great. Tables by the window were a little tight.Special Features:
- The fish special sounded amazing,LAWannabeDined on 8/10/2012The fish special sounded amazing, but was a little dry and a little bland when it arrived - rest of the food was good. Nice happy hour specials. Our waiter was exceptional. The margaritas were good (real lime juice - not mix)(though first round tasted better than the second).Special Features:
- Food is good. Very popularV123VIPDined on 6/29/2012Food is good. Very popular place. Big crowds on Friday night. Glad we had reservations on Open House.
- We ate here THREE times inOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/16/2012We ate here THREE times in five days! Their food is outstanding, not typical tex-mex more pacific coast Mexican? So delicious,tasty, and fresh. They have a happy hour menu, which is a great value. The place is decorated in a very fun eclectic style. The restaurant seems very clean considering that it is always packed. It is a small place but they manage to utilize every square inch of it. The service we had every time from the hostess to the servers to the kitchen was always great. Oh, oh don't let me forget their Margaritas....yummy! Just in writing this review I'm craving more of Luibueno's food!Special Features:
- Outstanding Paella!!! LovedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/13/2012Outstanding Paella!!! Loved the variety of fish options. Our server Clint was the BEST!!!Special Features:
- Loved the fish tacos. OurOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2012Loved the fish tacos. Our waiter was super friendly and helpfully suggested menu items.Special Features:
- very disappointed...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2012Sorry but, my wife and I did not enjoy dining at Lui's. The food was poor. The cook ruined the appetizer (Calamari) which was way too SALTY and both entree's...again, one way too SALTY and the other burned. We felt a little taken advantage of considering the prices. We live in the area and had not heard many good things about Lui's but, thought we would check it out for ourselves. Turned out to be a bad decision...will not return. Too many better options.
- Fish Tacos were awesome!HappyHungerVIPDined on 5/12/2012Fish Tacos were awesome! Bartender was very pleasant and efficient.Special Features:
- The service was great! KnowledgableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/12/2012The service was great! Knowledgable staff, quick service of food and drinks and delicious food! Our only complaint was the fried ice cream was covered in the chocolate sauce which was more of a hot fudge consistency so it was less appealing. However, we both loved the guacamole dip, sooo good and each of our entrees. Hers was a scallop plate suggested by our server, mine was a burrito plate with grilled ahi.... It was amazing!! Cannot wait to go back!Special Features:
- It was crowded. The only crowdedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/6/2012It was crowded. The only crowded place for miles at the North Shore. The food was salty and there was no sauce on the burrito which was dry. The service was fast and the waitress was nice. I guess most people come here for the drinks though since the drinks on the table next to us were huge and spilling all over the place. I wouldn't go back for the food though. Maybe some drinks, but its far from town so I don't know when I would drink there.Special Features:
- Always good food. It is consistentlOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/29/2012Always good food. It is consistently fresh and creative with different specials every night.Special Features:
- We went here because it wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/22/2012We went here because it was the only restaurant in town on Open Table. The restaurant is fairly small and was very crowded so it was fairly loud. Most of the time this would be fine except our server lost our order so we had to wait almost 55min before we got our main dish. Because of this we snacked on chips way to much! On the food side, I got the Seafood Paella and it was pretty good all in all. It was a tad dry and I would rather it had a bit more fish instead of all the oyster's and such. My wife had the Chicken Burrito and it was very good. It was very tasty.Special Features:
- Everything was great.. FromOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/11/2012Everything was great.. From food to service.. The place is way too small and way too loud.. Could barely here my fiancé talk due to the background noise.. But other than that, it was an amazing experience.. Good Mexican flavor, better than the previous restaurant Forgot what it's called..Special Features:
- A flavor experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/25/2012Thank goodness for open table! On our last night in Oahu my friend and I searched for a nice dinner out and found Luibueno's. I'm not a fan of Mexican ---so don't let the name fool you---as it's the spices from the country that give the food its Latin flare. The food preparation and presentaion is both fresh and artistic. We chose an appetizer of ahi tuna, fresh sprouts, a fried avacado (really good!) and a spicy sauce. For dinner I had the featured fish (seabass) and my friend had the scallops. Both dishes were a flavor experience! For dessert we splurged on the fried icecream, which was the only disappointment: too many cornflakes. Be sure to make a reservation and request Clint--he was professional, energetic, and helpful.Special Features:
- Luibuebo has consistentlyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/25/2012Luibuebo has consistently great food, the Chefs are very creative and always offer a special that is really good. It's a great neighborhood restaurant on the North Shore.Special Features:
- Nice findOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/23/2012Except for oysters, which we found odd-tasting and sent back to the kitchen, good food and excellent, efficient, friendly service. Chips nice and fresh, delicious salsa. Different take on gazpacho--fresh. Not sure about goat cheese on top. Mahdi-Mahdi tacos were excellent--not crazy about white sauce--glad I had it on the side. Straight sour cream would be better. Virgin monitor was fresh and tasty. Chips, drinks refilled efficiently.Special Features: