Lugano Swiss Bistro
3670 The Barnyard
Carmel, CA 93926Neighborhood:
SwissPrice: $30 and under
Lugano Swiss Bistro
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.swissbistro.com/
- Phone: 8316263779
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: T-Su 11:30am-4:00pm
Dinner: T-Su 4:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, International, Swiss
- Executive Chef: Andre Lengacher
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Chef's Table, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Lugano Swiss Bistro can cater from 50 to 5000 people.
- Private Party Facilities: Lugano Swiss Bistro is a little bit of Switzerland in Carmel. Hand carved wood and colorful geraniums adorn out Alpine-style heated outdoor dining patio; dogs are welcome. Chef Andre"s culinary magic has recreated the unique flavors of Switzerland. Choose from fondues, sausages, schnitzels and more.
- Private Party Contact: Proprietors Chef Andre and Nargis 8773664174
- Entertainment: Live music every Thursday and monthly entertainement. Please visit http://swissbistro.com/event-calendar/ for a complete calendar.
A word from Lugano Swiss Bistro
Lugano Swiss Bistro is a little bit of Switzerland in Carmel. Hand carved wood and colorful geraniums adorn out Alpine-style heated outdoor dining patio; dogs are welcome. Chef Andre"s culinary magic has recreated the unique flavors of Switzerland. Choose from fondues, sausages, schnitzels, pastas, and steaks. Colorful murals and checkered table clothes add to the Swiss atmosphere of Lugano! We can accommodate groups of nearly any size. You can rent the entire restaurant or have a special occasion catered at a location of your choice. Andre Lengacher is one of the finest award-winning Chefs of Europe. He has received impress awards including the First Place in Culinary Art in the Congress House of Zurich, Switzerland. He has also won top honors in Frankfurt, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Chicago and Hawaii. "For me" says Andre, "cooking is not a profession, it's an art."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lugano Swiss Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
- Different kind of dinnerVactioninginCarmelDined on 10/15/2013Looking for something different for dinner? Lugano's Swiss Bistro fits the bill. Nestled in the lower level of the Barnyard shopping center (under the windmill), this cozy eatery has a Bavarian eclectic charm with no shortage of Swiss/Alpine knickknacks artfully placed around diners. Good goulash soup but the onion soup had too much pepper. Recommend splitting the mixed grill (there's an upcharge) as there was a lot of food. It was very good with a nice variation of meats. The menu also had many options one expects to find in a German restaurant. The manager and server were very attentive to our needs. Recommend this restaurant to diners who want a change from burgers, Mexican and Italian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fondue heaven.food101Dined on 9/21/2013I found this place from a search of area restaurants from Open Table and made a reservation. Friendly and attentive staff. We had an appetizer of Swiss Racllete cheese melted over steamed potatoes and sausage. It was very good. For our main dish we had the Schnitzel. It was lightly breaded pork lion which was pan fried and served with lemon, capers, anchovy, spatzli, and red cabbage. The menu states " Voted Monterey's Best" and we would agree that it was the best we have had in quite some time.They have several fondues as well which looked great. we plan on going back to try them. We found the place to be clean and inviting. There is a nice patio are for dining and a large table built around a fire pit good for a group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kissed the cow!hgoinVIPDined on 9/4/2013My husband took me for my 30th birthday, just as I had taken him. Our server was great and the food was fabulous as always, however we were surprised when we arrived that we didnt get the booth set up with the birthday banner and cake hat. They also didn't take my picture when I kissed the cow, like they did for my husband. We were a little disappointed. That's why we chose Lugano's for my special night. We like the extra effort they have put in, in the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Favorite Carmel RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/3/2013We love coming here on our annual trip to Carmel. Great place to bring the kids, they have a great outdoor fire pit table and the food is so delicious! Must get the fondue!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. I've never eaten60BubbaDined on 8/3/2013Great food. I've never eaten Swiss cuisine before, but I am a huge fan of German food. Not surprisingly, there were some notable similarities. We dined with friends with four kids (ages 8-13), and they all managed to find something to their liking from the adults' menu, though a kids' menu is also provided. I ended up with a sausage plate and spaetzle, and my wife got the chicken schnitzel. Both were delicious. Our reservation was for 6PM on a Saturday, and at that time, the dining room was quiet but not dreary. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, quaint restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/5/2013Loved the Swiss decor! The food was great, we had the traditional fondue with all the fixins. Service was great and the owner funny. A nice gem within the Barnyard in Carmel.Special Features:
- So soLeslieTVIPDined on 7/1/2013Chocolate fondue dessert was not good. Chocolate was not to par and there was not much variety of items to dip. The chocolate was heated by a small candle. The food was ok, but nothing to brag home about.Special Features:
- Fun Fondue and MoreLazypointer799VIPDined on 6/23/2013In Carmel although a little away from the main part of downtown....But a lot of fun.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful little hide away Cafe!Magicken945Dined on 6/21/2013The atmosphere of this little gem of a Bistro is like being on the border of Germany, Switzerland and Italy. The food is delicious and even fun - the 4-course fondue dinner is superb and fun to share! All of the servers are amazing n the hostess is perfect and the chef coming out to get you and thank you for coming is the perfect touch to a beautiful and delicious evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/14/2013We are repeaters to Lugano's mainly for lunch but at times for dinner as well. Always great food and great service. Just wish, for locals and repeat diners, some specials, to vary the great menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A unique and fun experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/13/2013We enjoyed our fondue. Our waiter never got the wine I ordered, and we had some other miscommunications, but he was kind. They had live music, as it was a Thursday, and this Swiss band was very enjoyable. Very Swiss kitch,but felt authentic, warm, and happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissappointed DinersCHDdinersDined on 4/30/2013The food was just fair overall except for the French Onion soup--that was great. Good sized portions, but including a small soup or salad would have made the price more reasonable. It was a very slow night, and only one person to handle the few diners in 3 different areas. I never enjoy being the only diners in the room. This was not the memorable dining experience I was expecting.
- Delighted DinerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/4/2013We were dining @ 4:00 so we had the entire patio to ourselves with the fire pit table & heat lamp. Very nice, quaint & simply great food! Will come bacj with our kids.Special Features:
- Excellent fondue for lunch.jvc1Dined on 3/29/2013Excellent fondue for lunch. My teenage sons had a wonderful time. It was a nice place for a relaxing lunch. We felt unrushed and it was a great venue where the kids kept busy during the lunch cooking their fondue. The chocolate fondue was great, but it could have been better if it included more variety of foods to include bananas, marshmallows, cheeses.Special Features:
- good luncheon experience priceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/7/2013good luncheon experience price OK, tooo cold..why keep it sooo cold at lunch with hardly any guests around?Special Features:
- Delicious, authentic, SwissTheGazzVIPDined on 2/27/2013Delicious, authentic, Swiss / German food served by people who care. The place yells Swiss the minute you walk in the door and never lets you down. Even my side of saurkraut was amazing -- not to tart, with wonderful caraway seeds throughout. The Schnitzel was superb!!Special Features:
- Kids loved itpsattyVIPDined on 2/17/2013Cute Swiss lodge decor. Waiter was great. Food was delicious and a lot of fun. The kids absolutely loved it! My picky eaters each ate two adult portions of beef fondu and asked for seconds. They can't stop talking about it. Tons of fun.Special Features:
- Really good. First fonduemojito8828Dined on 2/16/2013Really good. First fondue experience and it was a success. Great food. Great atmosphere. Definitely will return!!Special Features:
- The schnitzel was outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/12/2013The schnitzel was outstanding. Good portions and excellent service. Quirky surroundings with lots of Swiss memorabilia and carved wooden items.Special Features:
- would come back and willOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/19/2013Took my mother for her Birthday and she really liked it, other then it being a bit pricey for four adults it was an enjoyable experience we went away content, love the decor a little bit overwhelming with so much to look at but nice to see images of where you came from with being a portion of Swiss. will recommend to others will be taking my best friend here for her Birthday in August.Special Features:
- Great Food and Decor!athiedeDined on 1/9/2013From the time we walked into Lugano's, we knew it was a special place. The decor is so quaint you actually think you're in a cafe in the Alps! But the food was the highlight, from the great bread to the entrees. I had the air-dried chicken breast with lemon sauce which came with sauteed veggies and a mushroom risotto that was amazing! My husband had the sausage platter with Swiss noodles and veggies. We both had to take home some of the food and enjoyed another meal! My husband ordered a local wine that he loved. We highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- great Swiss raclette & fondues.ExcellentVIPDined on 12/23/2012great Swiss raclette & fondues. nice surprise in Carmel restaurants.Special Features:
- The real deal in good, traditionalOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/21/2012The real deal in good, traditional Swiss dishes: schnitzels; raclette; several different fondues; bratwurst; etc., in a Swiss, wood-carved chalet dining room, with German beer on draft.Special Features:
- Fondue that hits the spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/19/2012We went for family-of-five dining. A simple home-style Swiss fondue with a Swiss ambience (decor & music). We tried the four-course fondue, a cheese-only fondue, schnitzel, the Swiss Onion Soup and the Goulash Soup. Everything was fine; we were so full at the end, and didn't finish about 10% of the food. Highlight was the four-course fondue (one course is a simple house salad). The cheese fondue was tasty and the consistency was good - came with an assortment of veggies, green apple and bread for dipping. Next was the broth fondue with chicken and beef. The various dipping sauces were so-so - would have preferred two or three outstanding sauces. The chocolate fondue was yummy - came with fresh fruits and other treats.Special Features:
- The entire experience fromOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/12/2012The entire experience from the decor to the food was as is if we had returned to a small Swiss village eatery. Don't miss this place.Special Features:
- Excellent fondue we have beenOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/23/2012Excellent fondue we have been there before would go again with the family service was slow on the day we went other than that excellentSpecial Features:
- Excellent service (serverOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2012Excellent service (server and also the owner) attractive Swiss decor. Tasty wine at reasonable cost. Very good cooked cabbage.
- Our Dinner was wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/5/2012Our Dinner was wonderful. We came with a large group. Service was great. The Food was great. We bring our Friends and Family everytime we are in Carmel.Special Features:
- This was my first time atOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2012This was my first time at Lugano's and we loved it. The four course fondue was delicious. I will definately be going back.Special Features:
- Unaccommodating ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2012Lugano's is charming and would have been a nice experience had it not been for a few key things. We were a large group so I understand that service might be affected, however,it was disappointing that despite the fact that when I made the reservation I specifically said we'd have 3 babies and wanted 6 separate checks, when we got there they weren't ready for us. One of the high chairs that was eventually brought was very beat up and any child in it would have surely gotten several splinters. When we arrived the waiter said he preferred to do just one check but would be willing to split it 6 ways evenly, which we refused. If they can't meet the reservation requests, they should say so when then reservation is made.Service was painfully slow.Special Features:
- I went to the restaurant lookingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2012I went to the restaurant looking forward to a true Fondue and was extremely disappointed. Will not go back.
- I would return, wouldn't beOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2012I would return, wouldn't be able to afford more often then a special occasion. The old world feel and the decorations were great a bit over the top but very enjoyable. The service was good at first till the restaurant got busy with the owners friends and family then the attention went to them and did not stay where it should have been. The food was good and we left content. The owner found out that one of the other patrons knew how to play the accoridian and he did and played a few tunes which was a nice feel of the old world. All in all it was a enjoyable night.Special Features:
- Hadnt been here in years..OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2012Hadnt been here in years.. Was great, food was good and server did a great job!!Special Features:
- The service was excellent,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/11/2012The service was excellent, very quick and friendly. Great atmosphere and great food. We got the four-course fondue sampler and it was delicious. Nice beer selection too.Special Features:
- Give your review a titleAlbertDined on 9/8/2012Sewer smell came through back wall where we were seated.
- Heaven on EarthOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/2/2012Such a pleasant location for a meal. All staff very attentive, friendly and ready to accomodate. Service was attentive, ready to please. A real feel good place. If you want to treat yourself, I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- The food was great, and theyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2012The food was great, and they treat you like family.Special Features:
- This is my favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2012This is my favorite restaurant in the Monterey/ Carmel area especially on Thursday nights when authentic Swiss/Austrian music is played by a violinist, accordion player, and other accompanists. We always have one of their fondue dishes, but there are other "lighter" entrees also. And Stiegl Beer on draft. A favorite of my university days in Vienna. Looking forward to our next visit!Special Features:
- Great for Date Night!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/4/2012My husband and I went to Lugano's for date night- it was very quaint and cozy. We ordered the "fondue sampler" which was very yummy- but go hungry because its A LOT of food! Fun atmosphere, good service, beautiful decor- we'll be back!Special Features:
- Could not have been better.OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/25/2012Could not have been better. Comfortable, quiet,and friendly place that served interesting food at reasonable prices and in large portions. Onion Soup, Sand Dabs and Lamb Shank were exceptional. Can't wait to back when again in the Carmel area.Special Features: