3364 So. 2300 East
Salt Lake City, UT 84109Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://luganorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8014129994x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Executive Chef/Owner Tyler Stokes
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Lugano has two private dining rooms for evening functions. The largest private dining room,
the Loggia is fashioned after an Italian hunting lodge and easily seats 54 guests. The Loggia is 100% private and complete with its own separate banquet kitchen to accommodate all personal requests.
The Loggia is equipped for audio/video equipment and is perfect for corporate functions. for more detail, visit luganorestaurant.com.
A word from Lugano Restaurant
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lugano Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (3)neighborhood gem (3)special occasion (2)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)romantic (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Excellent fresh local foodpearsDined on 6/15/2014The use of fresh local food makes Lugano an excellent choice for a special night out. The torched pears alone are well worth the visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eVening outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014The service was very good. The hostess Made you feel very welcome the minute you entered the restaurant. We sat out side and the service was spot on. The food and wine was great.Special Features:
- Great celebration.BethDined on 6/3/2014We had a small birthday celebration. Flowers were delivered, and they were on the table and it was ready when we arrived. Food was great. All our salads were wonderful. We ordered Steak, Pizza, The Halibut special and Lamb. All were done right! Yummy tiramisu and flourless chocolate delicacy. We had a few hiccups with utensils and drinks coming slowly, but our waiter was quick to respond and a perfect gentlemen. We lingered, yet never felt rushed. An exceptional dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 653 reviews are from the Lugano Restaurant reviews archive.
- KellyDined on 5/23/2014Our evening at Lugano's was wonderful. Initially we were seated at a table right beneath a speaker and had trouble hearing one another speak. The waitress quickly moved us to a quieter location, with minimal fuss. The food was excellent, especially the spring pea soup which was worth the trip alone! The service was excellent, friendly without being intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Major Dining DisappointmentDiningDined on 5/11/2014Incredibly small portions on the entrée considering the cost. We both had grilled Salmon. No vegetables were included or other side dishes, only a two sauces. The Salmon was farm raised and a very tiny portion, likely less than 4 ounces total weight. The shocking cost for this was $25.00 per entrée. The caesar salad had We both felt cheated!Special Features:
- Where did the old Lugano go?howdyDined on 5/11/2014We used to go to Lugano quite a bit. I could always count on a good meal. The risotto was always cooked to perfection - not hard, not mushy. We have been there twice since the change of chef and things just don't seem to be the same. Risotto was crunchy. The first time I haven't finished my meal at Lugano. Mother's day we gave it another shot. Again the flavors were muddled and lacking. I tried the gnocchi this time which was a special. Unfortunately I wasn't happy with this either. The pizza my kids got was good though.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2014My husband and I have been going to Lugano's for years and after our visit on Mother's Day will NEVER be going back. We made reservations for 6:30 pm for a party of 6. We arrived and were promptly seated. We did not see our waitress until 15 minutes after being seated. She finally introduced herself and took our drink order. Once our drinks came she took our order. We waited another 55 minutes to get our food. When we finally were able to get our waitresses attention she said our food would be out in 5 minutes. 10 minutes pass and finally our food comes to our table, but was cold. We left without eating that night.....
- It's backOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2014Much better. There was quite a downturn at the end of Greg's tenure and after he left, but the food is much better again now. Many menu favorites are still there, but there are plenty of new choices as well. Service needs to get back up to speed, but the kitchen is turning out really good food.Special Features:
- deliciousgongoofyDined on 5/9/2014Appetizer to dessert...every part of our meal was delicious. What a treat to revisit this one and find it so improved. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable....ishMzbsaltyDined on 5/5/2014We were 1 of 3 tables at the time we went (6pm). The service was fantastic, she was very attentive. My husbands meat was cooked perfect(med rare), my definition of medium must be different than the cooks for mine was also med rare but was delicious anyway. I think I insulted the chef when we asked for salt. I took my meat home and my son loved it! I put the title as comfortable...ish because being 2 of 6 people in the resturant, having staff standing around looking at you, sometimes felt like they were watching you eat. But to be clear, I would go back and I would recommend to people!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overworked waitressOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/2/2014Waited an hour and a half for dinner before saying enough. The waitress was trying her best to provide a good experience to diners, but with a kitchen that couldn't keep up and an ineffective managershe was never going to succeed.
- Food very goodBobPVIPDined on 5/2/2014Service was very good too, but it took a long time to get our food. Worth waiting for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food again was soooo slowNoclamsandotheringredientVIPDined on 5/2/2014I don't know what the issue is but always the food comes out soo slow. We waited nearly 1 hour for two bowl of pasta. It tasted fantastic but honestly it is just too slow! we sat for an hour after our salad waiting and waiting and some more waiting.Special Features:
- Anniversary Dinner to Remember!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversary with a superb dinner at Lugano. The service was excellent, atmosphere was quiet, and food was to die for!Special Features:
- Amazing food and great serviceKysamijumiDined on 4/16/2014Food was spectacular from the torched pears to the mixed spinach salad with dried cherries and candied walnuts. Entrees of to die for raviolis, succulent penne pasta and beautiful cooked ribeye.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectHarleyDined on 4/6/2014Waitress knowledgeable, attentive but not intrusive. Atmosphere quiet and conducive to a romantic dinner. Food was wonderful and with a good wine parring (suggested by waitress) seductive. A relaxed and satisfiying atmosphere that left you not caring about time but wanting to enjoy the moment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite placeJessi528txDined on 4/1/2014This was my third time to Lugano's and I haven't been disappointed yet. I love the ambiance here. It's like having a nice dinner with friends. The servers are always extremely helpful and knowledgable. The food is fresh, hot and amazing. You won't regret your choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine food and wine enhancesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/1/2014Lugano is a pleasant and comfortable restaurant with scrumptious food for a discriminating palette. They offer a variety of pasta dishes with and without protein. My date ordered a vegetable medley pasta entrée and it had a bit of kick that her Arizona buds enjoyed, though too much sting for my New England taste. I ordered the organic chicken ravioli. I know! I hesitated twice, but it was wonderful. The service was superb. Luganos does have an extensive wine list, though they pulled my favorite Italian Carmenere. Hopefully they will reinstate. Ambience is very good. There is no connection with nature like a couple of the canyon restaurants, but for being accessible, you can certainly make a new connection or enhance an existing one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service - great foodRickDined on 3/22/2014great service - great food - noisy. Terra was a wonderful waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay onlyGajjDined on 3/21/2014Food was average, okay for a neighborhood bite to eat. Not in any hurry to go back though
- Always a winnerCocineroDined on 3/20/2014I am never disappointed by the food and wine selection. The wait staff are impeccable and extremely knowledgeable about the food/wine and are articulate at explaining their flavors and preparation. This is a go to spot for every occaision.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and lovely servicekathyVIPDined on 3/14/2014We heard there was a new chef at Lugano's so we decided to try it . The torched pears were perfectly ripe and we wished for more . A special appetizer was scallops seved with shaved Brussels sprouts and candied kumquats. It was delicious. Three of us chose the scallop dinner special served with spiced, creamy cauliflower and splashes of blood oranges. We all loved it . The portions were perfect so we had room for dessert, apple crisp and a chocolate olive oil cake . The apple crisp is an old favorite. I would have liked the chocolate cake if it have been sweeter maybe some more the blood orange flavor they had that night. We were happy to enjoy Lugano's as much as we have had in the past. Great service was the standard. We will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed and embarrasedBrianDined on 3/9/2014If it could go wrong this last time it did! I Had guests from Europe that we brought to impress, and got the opposite. I spent the night apologizing to them for my choose of restaurants. First of all their were only 3 tables filled so it wasn't like the place was crowded. Waited 15 min before anyone came, the Waitresses where haveing some serious drama issues through out the night and we suffered. Bread was stale and should not have been served. Pasta was over cooked, claim dish we have had it befor and it was wonderful, this night was Tastless and watered down and half the portion. The list goes on and even when I complained no offer or even though to rectify it was given. For a $250 dinner it was simply awful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's true, not the same . .nicknameVIPDined on 3/8/2014Unfortunately, the rumors are true. It is not the same. The service feels less neighborhood casual but attentive and more in your face incompetent. Server was nice but did not know the specials, asked me how I wanted my lamb shank cooked (I assume it is braised all day and not cooked to order), we were visited a few times for plate removal before we had finished, had to pour own wine, etc. I wish I could say the food made up for it but it did not. Here is where Lugano gets into trouble: all of the prices have been jacked up a few bucks. So now you have below average food at pretty exorbitant prices for what you get. I don’t mind paying for a great meal, problem is this was very far from a great meal.
- Still greatWolfDined on 3/8/2014Lugano is now under new management, but the food and service are still top notch. The menu has been massaged a bit but is still very familiar. The Risotto was great and the steaks done perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sadly disenchantedwilltraveltoeatgoodDined on 3/1/2014I have been a long time lover of Luganos. It has been my "go to" restaurant for nearly 8 years because of the chefs and owners precise attention to using fresh, clean foods. My last three dining experiences there have been less then stellar which truly saddens me. The food is lacking the refinement and restraint it once enjoyed. While still using great ingredients its just a tad more gloppy then I prefer. The tagatelli I ordered because no fish (but salmon) was available this Saturday was so over sauced and the truffle oil so over powering it was hard to enjoy more then a few bites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ordered the torched pear withCAPTDined on 2/28/2014Ordered the torched pear with the proschuitto. Presentation was fantastic, taste was EXTREMELY disappointing. The pear was not torched unless it was passed over by a flashlight. The pear was not ripe, it was hard and flavorless. Other than the sight presentation the dish was truely disapponting. We did take half home and shared it with family. Without any coaxing from us their impression was the same as ours. It is not a quiet and relaxing establishment to have a meal. It was refreshing to walk outside and have less strain on my ears.
- I once loved this place!!pickyjudyDined on 2/28/2014As a good home chef, I always appreciate an excellent dining experience, and in the past, I would have given Lugano good to great ratings. I have not been there for about 9 months (hence missed what appeared to be a slight decline prior to new owner/chefs), so I was looking forward to this dining occasion (with new chefs). Unfortunately, other than the great server, my experience was only fair to good. Way too noisy, food service seemed "spotty" (some tables served immediately, others experienced long waits), and the food just not as good as I remembered! I live in the neighborhood, and this was the go to spot for a fine meal, but unfortunately, my husband and I both agreed that it is no longer that.Special Features:
- great experienceeaterDined on 2/22/2014We brought a well traveled couple from out of town who know & appreciate fine dining. Everyone loved their food. The service was competent & friendly. We will definitely be back and Lugano is now on our friend's list of places not to miss when visiting SLC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crash and BurnHonest0112VIPDined on 2/21/2014We have such great memories of Lugano, so good for so many years. We felt over the last couple of years, it just got tired, the menu never changed, service was hit or miss, the quality of food and preparation were spotty. So, it wasn't a huge surprise when the the founding chef and partner left, it had just felt like something had been up for a while. We gave it several months since his departure and gave it a try...COMPLETE DISASTER. Nothing is working at this place, the food was inedible (they tragically killed my favorite pasta dish...Spaghetti with Napa Cabbage), the service well intentioned but horribly inexperienced and the kitchen staff just clearly way in over their heads. So sad, so long Lugano.
- Incredible foodgoodfoodDined on 2/20/2014I ordered that night's special, which was unbelievably delicious. Others at our table ordered off the menu, and loved the food. Large enough servings to take some home. Great service, nice ambiance, cozy. Highly recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the sameOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/20/2014We used to love Luganos, since it has sold the food is not as good. We were a party of 4 and all of us agreed that our meals were just so so. The service was however very good.
- PleasurableOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2014The dinning at Lugano's was quite enjoyable. We went there for valentines and instead of their regular menu they were serving a 7 course meal. I was a little disappointed because I was looking forward to a nice steak, but after the second course, I was drawn in. Thank you for making our dinning experience great.Special Features:
- Changed menu and $$$$ pricesAnExpensiveEveningDined on 2/13/2014We planned a nice evening out for Valentine's Day. We called ahead and were told: fixed menu with one $$$$ price. We told them we preferred to order from the menu and made reservations for the day prior to V. Day. Surprise! The V. Day weekend $$$$ menu also applied to the Thursday prior to V. Day. The food was wonderful, the music inappropriate (pop), and the menu was much more than we could afford. Our mistake not to leave. We ended up spending much more than we could afford & concern about the expense put a damper on the evening. This restaurant may be much more expensive than you anticipate. And (at least on this occasion) they changed their menu and their prices without us being aware of this when we made our reservations on OpenTable.Special Features:
- Little for a lotSamboDined on 2/13/2014Special Valentines menu should have been called "over priced taste test" the food was pretty good and creative but for $60 per person I didn't expect to leave hungry! I think by our servers questioning she felt the same way. Next time they should cut the courses to 3or4 and give big enough portions to feel like a meal! .Special Features:
- Dinner with my sweetheartDaveDined on 2/5/2014The food was delicious. Mussels and beet salad appetizers. My wife loved the salmon which was tender in the middle and some herb crust on the outside. I really enjoyed the Hamachi which was rare like I like it. The problem was it took us 2 hours in there. We had uncomfortable waits before every serving. The waiter kept coming back and saying anytime now. It took so long he gave us a free dessert. It was delicious but I'd rather have the service.Special Features:
- Okay experienceLisaDined on 1/25/2014We went in with a friend from out of town and maybe it was because we went in a little later in the evening but I felt like the food and the service was a little tired. The bruschetta appetizer we ordered was very unwieldy and difficult to eat. The pasta dish I ordered was mostly tasty but strange consistency and my husbands salmon was a little overcooked. Overall it was just okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday surpriseGladwediditDined on 1/24/2014My husbands birthday was approaching!! So, I left a message to make a reservation for a Friday night. As instructed on the voicemail, I also went to opentable.com to request a table. I had never used opentable.com before but it was quick and easy to register, and my reservations were made. After I left a message and reserved a table online, I received a very professional message from the resaurant confirming. When we arrived we were taken right to our quiet, romantic table (as requested), and our server TAYLA came right over to take our order. We each had a couple beers, carpaccio (AMAZING!), I ordered the salmon and my husband had the housemade fettucine seafood pasta. The food was fabulous! Our server was wonderful! We'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & AtmosphereRushFan55Dined on 1/22/2014We have dined at Lugano's many times, one of our absolute favorite place to take friends for dinner. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ItalianLovetoEatVIPDined on 1/18/2014There are not a lot of options when it comes to good non-chain Italian restaurants in Salt Lake City. This is restaurant is consistently good. The food is tasty, prices are reasonable, and the food comes in good portions. Looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.