1896 Hyde Street
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.luellasf.com/
- Phone: 4156744343
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Ben de Vries
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: luella can accommodate up to 28 guests in our semi-private dining room. Buyouts of the entire restaurant are available for larger parties. Please call the restaurant for more details.
- Private Party Contact: Leah Lidsky 4156744343
- Cross Street: Green Street
- Public Transit: The Hyde Street cable car stops right out front at Green Street.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Public parking is available on Polk Street in 3 convenient locations. The lot at Walgreens (Polk@ Broadway), The Jug Shop (Pacific@ Polk), and Lombardi Spots (Polk @ Jackson. The fee varies depending upon the day, time and duration of stay.
A word from luella
luella is a sophisticated and charming neighborhood restaurant in beautiful Russian Hill. Acclaimed as a top newcomer to San Francisco's exciting food scene, luella's warm and inviting dining room provides the perfect backdrop for celebrated chef Ben de Vries' fresh and creative Mediterranean inspired cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
luella reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great experiencesustainableeaterDined on 8/8/2013Luella was a wonderful dinner with 2 picky kids. Had the melt-in-your mouth braised pork and the delicious beef Wellington. Pretty neighborhood restaurant. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/7/2013Not our first visit I found out, but just as excellent as our first experience. The room is appointed simply and comfortably. The service was a cut above and the food was exciting and flavorful. Something for every palate and in portions that allowed you to taste several items. This is not an inexpensive eatery but if you prize excellent food and ambiance to hold a conversation in there is no better. We were elated in every way and will return - given it's walking distance from our place...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice intimate neighborhood stopSconnie3Dined on 8/6/2013Good variety on the menu and wine list. Half off bottles of wine on Tuesdays made it fairly reasonable. Goat cheese, beet, and spinach appetizers was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A SF gemSWsubfoodloverDined on 7/28/2013We are from out of town, but go to Luella's whenever we visit SF - our best non-touristy find in this city of great dining! Great food which gets better every time we go, terrific wine list, and a welcoming neighborhood feel. Everyone - from the owner to the bus staff - are wonderful - it feels like a big family - but that is icing on the cake - the food would be enough to bring us back regularly. And the setting is charming - both inside and outside. The restaurant is particularly inviting in the evening - the warm lighting made us jump off the cable car to give it a try for the first time 7 years ago when we were heading to another place for dinner - obviously with no regrets!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2013My boyfriend and I have been searching for beef wellington in the Bay Area for some weeks now. We made a reservation at Luella a week in advance, but unfortunately because of the traffic to SF from Palo Alto, came over an hour late. Luella was hosting a 30-person party but accommodated us promptly at the bar, and I have to say—we really loved the staff. They made us feel extremely welcome, and although the beef wellington took a little long, they gave us complimentary appetizers and even insisted on a small (and complimentary!) dessert to finish off the meal. The food was delicious! Although the beef wellington wasn't traditional—(the puff pastry wasn't cooked around the beef)—it was nonetheless exquisite. Loved the experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- coca cola!ed2321VIPDined on 7/21/2013definitely try the coca cola short ribs and the wellington! 5 stars for the service! the night I dined there, they were shorthanded. the hostess filled in and was superb! went above and beyond for the clients that she helped...thank you again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ImpressionLaurenDined on 7/20/2013We had a great dinner experience and will certainly be back. We are both huge foodies and I am a huge cook and thought the flavors and spices were well paired.Special Features:
- 50th BirthdayMOSFDined on 7/19/2013We took our son & his wife for his 50th birthday. It was special. We were seated immediately upon arrival at 7:00 on a Friday night. Loved the front window table. Service very attentive but not hovering. Server was well informed regarding food and described dishes when asked. The Coca Cola Pork and Ribeye for 2 were succulent and quite tasty. Salads were tasty as were the brussels sprouts. Dessert arrived with a birthday candle. A memorable evening!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bon resto dans Russian HillVisiteurduQuebecDined on 7/19/2013La nourriture est fraiche et de bonne qualité. Quelques plats surprenants à notre satisfaction.Special Features:
- Bonus TuesdaysOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/2/2013This is one of our favorite neighborhood spots because it is relaxed and friendly and the food is consistently great. This time we enjoyed the fried chicken and cole slaw starter and the Beef Wellington, which is deconstructed- filet on top. The bonus was every Tuesday night is half-price on all bottles of wine. So we splurged and went for a French red we had never tried-Bon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why not!AliceVIPDined on 6/21/2013The restaurant is in a great neighboorhood (Hyde st) I went for diner and there was a lots of candles on tables and on the bar that make the atmosphere pretty cool, the service was very good. We shared 4 apetizers for 2, veal meatballs with tomato sauce were ok, brussels sprouts were good but more burned than caramelized unfortunatelly, baked peppers and eggplants were over salted and greasy, I recommand the tuna tartare taco, pretty good and the famous dessert short bread with strawberry, take it with the glass of sparkling rosé, delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/16/2013We had reservations and were seated immediately in the back part of the dining area. It was a bit dark. We ate the gnocchi, ravioli, and chicken. They were flavorful and the portion size was appropriate. Service was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialDaleVIPDined on 6/14/2013Great food and this restaurant imparts great ambience. Servers do great with the help of an awesome kitchen. Recommend without reservation!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missed the markOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/13/2013Ordered off leek soup, Cola braised pork shoulder, and strawberry shortcake off their prix fixe menu. The meal started off well and the soup was fantastic (so was their bread and butter). That however is when I stopped enjoying my food. The pork shoulder was a major disappointment. The meat was dry and brittle and parts, the sauce was super sweet yet a little bitter, and the kitchen was very heavy-handed with the mint. The dessert, wow, more mint again. Way too much mint. Not sure if the restaurant secured a deal on mint but if the dishes reduced the mint by about 75% it would have been more palatable. My fiancee enjoyed her meatballs and the ravioli but agreed with the disappointment with my meal. The service was great though.
- Quiet (but not too) and good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/10/2013I've been here 3 times now. With different groups I've brought. The food is solid, the service great, the place pretty cool. The back room is a bit quieter if you are with loud people. LOVE that booth up in the front room. Bravo Luella, we'll be back! Chuck K.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was Good, Not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/1/2013Service was great, male server very nice, hostess was great Food. Average, too much balsamic which over powered 2 dishes. Wife's dish was burnt (taken off bill). Wellington Beef had too many flavours going on, not very good. Beef was cooked perfectly and the Yorkshire Pudding was bang on. Overall 6.5/10Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!AdamVIPDined on 5/25/2013A real find- loved the intimate atmosphere, the service, and the food! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What Time with FriendsDeliciousandNutritiousVIPDined on 5/25/2013Each of the dishes was beautifully presented and absolutely delicious. Everyone enjoyed their choices. The square booth in the middle of the room is such a wonderful table for 4 - 7 people, feels like you're in your own private dining room!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Louella was fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/23/2013Enjoyed everything - trip advisor was right on the money with this one. I had cola braised pork shoulder with white bean puree and my husband had deconstructed wellington with bone marrow butter which he is still raving about 2 days later. Highlight for us was the relaxed service even though we def. came an hour before closing... Also - I had a fantastic wine from Spain but I can't recall the name. 2 enthusiastic thumbs up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReliableOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/19/2013Luella definitely is not the most eccentric foodie spot but the food is really good and solid, especially for vegetarians. The pizza, however, was not good. I love the neighbourhood. In terms of pricing, Luella is overpriced for what they offer. Flora in oakland has a similar prices and similar cuisine but the food is 10 times better. But I guess sf is different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love LuellaJaneDined on 5/18/2013We took three friends to Luella for dinner on Saturday night and had a wonderful round table in the back room that enabled good conversation. All dishes were excellent; you have to love a chef who thinks two pieces of delicious fried chicken is a great APPETIZER. Good wine selection. Yummy desserts.Special Features:
- Wonderful family owned restaurantBillinlajollaVIPDined on 5/18/2013Very attentive owners & staff. Food was excellently prepared!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- solid choice!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/17/2013I hadn't been here in over 4+ years and I'm really glad I went back! It was delicious. Perfect spot to celebrate my birthday and our waitress was awesome!Special Features:
- Dinner in San FranKitaDined on 5/14/2013Very warm, friendly staff. Service was great. Never waited long for our next course and the food was creative and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Words cannot express!KKempDined on 5/12/2013As if Chef Ben's presence wasn't enough... My experience at Luella Sunday evening was simply divine. For once, I am just about speechless. The service, the food, the wine, the company, EVERY SINGLE ASPECT of my night! Thank you for giving me something else to put in writing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurent, fantastic locatioOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2013took my mother here for a mother's day dinner. the food was fantastic, and the view of Hyde street was lovely. the service was also exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hold the SALT!!QuantumtheoryVIPDined on 5/4/2013Far too much salt used in every dish ...even the salads are over salted. This appears to be the current rend in all San Francisco restaurants these days. I can not taste the ingredient when so much salt is used.
- A little to progressiveNataliziaDined on 5/1/2013I had the Beef Wellington which was really good. The menu is very limited so my wife decided to try the Pork Shoulder Coke A Cola. Should have known better. The pork was cooked to perfection. The reduced coke sauce was just a little too sweet and the addition of Mint really hurt the dish. I would definitely give this place another try but don't think my wife would.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All good. I had the tunaOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/24/2013All good. I had the tuna tacos to start and they were great, very refreshing. For the entree I like to try restaurant chicken because they usually make it far better and juicier than I can. And this version didn't disappoint, very tasty! For dessert, we opted to share the banana cream pie. It was a little weak, and also a little on the small side. But well that's okay. Great, knowledgeable service and a very comfortable relaxed evening. Nice!Special Features:
- Best dinner we had in SFOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/21/2013Luella was the surprising gem and the best food we had on our trip to San Francisco. My husband said they had the best oysters he has ever had. Nestled on quaint Hyde street remember that if you want a cocktail you better stop somewhere off of Hyde St first because the entire street only serves beer and wine.Special Features:
- The service was excellent.DanBDined on 4/20/2013The service was excellent. The menu was very limited in my opinion. No entree specials offered and I recall only 4 or 5 entrees. Easy to get to by cable car. Good atmosphere.Special Features:
- Too full for dessert~OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/20/2013Our first time on a non prix-fixe night so we tried many more of the options than usual. Maybe too many of them since we did have some leftovers! Everything was wonderful. We had a first-timer with us but she enjoyed every bit of the food as well. Entrees were the Blue Plate paella, the Coca-Cola braised pork shoulder (always a must), the pan fried chicken (crispy skin and tasty meat) and the short rib lasagna. There were only 3 of us but we shared it all.Special Features:
- If you can find parking LuellaKBirdVIPDined on 4/18/2013If you can find parking Luella is an excellent place to dine. Be sure to order the ahi tacos and the Boognese ravioli. They were scrumptious!Special Features:
- THis is my favorite neighborhoodmegregVIPDined on 4/16/2013THis is my favorite neighborhood spot in San Francisco. And I don't even live in this neighborhood! The staff are all so lovely and the food fantastic.Special Features:
- Good service, good food, so1travellerDined on 4/13/2013Good service, good food, so noisy you can barely hear your table mates......Special Features:
- The new blue plate specialsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/5/2013The new blue plate specials are super fantastic!!! We had the Friday bone-in ribeye for two. Cooked perfectly; served with chimichuri sauce, spinach, and these delightfully crispy onions; and a surprise side of potatoes au gratin! The staff is always so welcoming and attentive. Love, love, love Luella!Special Features:
- Good indredients, poorly used..OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/2/2013Somewhat unenticing menu backed up by poorly executed flavours. Whilst all the ingredients were clearly top notch, the delivered meals were awkwardly bland save for their wreckless use of salt and pepper. Not much imagination and very little finesse.
- If you visit San Fran youOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/30/2013If you visit San Fran you must try Luella. This is a gem of a restaurant. Have the Payaya if you can, as well as the ahi tuna taco appetizer. WIne list is excellent, staff is responsive, friendly and knowledgable.Special Features:
- A great find for those in the knowDinnerFor2Dined on 3/29/2013Luella never disappoints--the food was lovely and imaginative, the service was first rate, and the pricing was reasonable for all that we ordered and enjoyed. What I love--its small enough that you always get great service and its a place that isn't crowded with a bus load of tourists. It very much caters to the locals and shines as a beacon of hospitality, warmth and variety. The staff is well versed and truly cares about their guests and the menu. If you haven't tried it, you should--you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Loved it! the food was fabulous,greatviewDined on 3/25/2013Loved it! the food was fabulous, they were running their annual wine event which is $4 for any glass of wine and $20 for any bottle; a rocking deal. The service was fabulous, the food wonderful and overall a lovely evening!Special Features: