12642 Poway Rd
Poway, CA 92064Neighborhood:
Poway / Rancho Bernardo
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lucsbistro.com/
- Phone: 8587489330
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, Comfort Food, French
- Executive Chef: Alonso Cruz
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Luc's offers recorded musical entertainment and occasional sports and local television programming.
A word from Luc's Bistro
Luc's Bistro offers guests an authentic taste of down-home Southern cuisine. Try dishes like Crispy Crab Cakes with Lemon Aioli and Shrimp and Grits with Garlic Butter, which take Southern flare and meld it with a California twist. Ongoing specials pop up daily to switch the mood for returning visitors while allowing newcomers to sample unique creations from Luc's talented chefs. Cozy and casual, the "bistro-esque" dining room invites guests to dine with friends, family, or their significant other. Who says that a bistro has to serve only French cuisine? Luc's Bistro shows patrons that a restaurant can create its own flare by taking different styles and exploring a brand new approach to food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Luc's Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (6)fit for foodies (4)great for lunch (2)special occasion (1)romantic (1)Show More
- DreadfulOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/29/2014Having booked online we arrived to find bistro closed. No reason or warning.
- Less than special1WandererVIPDined on 7/18/2014The macaroni and cheese was "blah"and soupy. The ahi tuna portion was generous, but salty.This is a stip mall bistro that tries, but doesn't quite succeed. It is interesting that they don't serve bread ,but for an extra charge you can order a small corn muffin.
- Amazing shrimp and grits!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/23/2014I'm not a grits fan, but the shrimp and grits appetizer was so incredible, I wished I had ordered the entree! Everything else we ate was very good, except for the crab cakes, which were fine, but nothing amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- scotcatVIPDined on 5/21/2014Luc's is a neighborhood gem - great food and welcoming staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little local restaurantchandiegoVIPDined on 5/21/2014Good food, reasonably priced for the quality. And the portions are not huge, they are not small, they are just right. The shrimp and grits are delicious!Special Features:
- Always great foodJG22Dined on 5/10/2014Not many places to have a non-chain meal in the Scripps Ranch/Poway area and Luc's is a lovely little restaurant with great food and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 46 reviews are from the Luc's Bistro reviews archive.
- Easter Brunch lackingRonCDined on 4/20/2014Not sure if the chef was in attendance but it certainly looked like the line cooks were doing the preparation and presentation. The crab cakes were significantly unimpressive: being sand dollar sized and certainly small enough to be buried under the poached egg. The omelet had a particularly dour look to it - seeming overcooked and swimming in the middle of a large plate all by itself. Tasted fine but overall not up to the levels of care, excellence and presentation we expect from Luc's. Let's hope this is was a anomaly not a portend of things to come.Special Features:
- A Big Surpirse!!!Burn1Dined on 4/19/2014We didn't expect much being in a strip center but wow were we surprised. We had the Shrimp Grits, Meatloaf, Jalapeno corn muffin and Apple crumble with vanilla ice cream. Everything was great and this is one of the few that I will be going back to and taking some friends. There were 3 tables of regulars from what I heard and that says a lot about a place. This is not one to miss!!! Keep up the great work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In a word, "Excellent", aOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/6/2014In a word, "Excellent", a find in the middle of a non-descript mall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceLovinFoodDined on 4/6/2014We had dinner there about a month ago and we are going back. The food was wonderful and the service was great. They had some great specialty drinks :) We enjoyed our quiet evening with drinks, dinner and desert!!!!! Would definitely recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy comfort foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014My husband and I decided to go to this restaurant because we were staying in Ramona which is not too far from Poway. We were on vacation, so comfort food sounded like a great idea. Luc's bistro definitely served up a wonderful array of dishes that met that criteria. We will definitely be back and thankfully they like doing the Groupon offers which is enticing even more.Special Features:
- DisappointedEvansmomDined on 3/29/2014Risotto was so salty it wasn't edible. Crab cakes full of carrots and celery filler. Cornbread muffin very dry. beet salad had miniscule amount of beets. Ribeye was charred and chewy. Drink cups left empty. Overpriced awful food.
- GREAT LITTLE BISTRO IN POWAYSandiDined on 3/1/2014I have lived in the area for 40+ years. I didn't even know this existed until I saw advertised on Groupon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try Luc's Bistro - outstanding foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2014The food at Luc's Bistro was excellent, as always. They had a salad special - crab and avocado over their balsamic greens - very tasty. And Christina, the server, was in top form. The place was jumping - good thing I had a reservation.Special Features:
- Outstanding FoodPowayDinerDined on 2/27/2014Second time dining here. Took the kids this time, and everyone absolutely loved the food. Service is great too! Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Cozy comfort foodFoodieDined on 2/20/2014We enjoyed the crab cakes, short ribs and braised chicken, Will go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll be backSpunkyDined on 2/15/2014Reasonable prices. Great service. The special wild boar pasta with a combo bolognese ragu and cream sauce was original and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful EveningBA12Dined on 12/31/2013This is a great neighborhood spot. No frills, excellent food, reasonable prices, friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas Eve at Luc'sJohnCynDined on 12/24/2013We arrived for our reservation and were seated immediately at the last available table in this small restaurant. The staff was overwhelmed with a full house. Service was very slow, the wait time for dinner was nearly an hour. Our server remained upbeat & courteous in the face of a few unhappy patrons. We were not bothered by the wait as we have eaten here before and have always found the experience to be a good one. We ordered from the holiday menu. The prime rib was perfect. The mushroom soup, beat salad, garlic creamed spinach, and the delicious blueberry dessert were all the high quality great tasting items we expect from Luc’s. In spite of the busy holiday night this was an excellent meal and a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible!!!JimBDined on 12/24/2013Food was ok, but the service was the worst I have had in years. The wait staff is completely untrained. We waited a little over an hour before we tasted any food. The cocktail service was a joke. My daughter ordered a whiskey sour and I don't know what they put in it but it was not a whiskey sour so she sent it back for a Jack Daniels and was served a small glass half full. We could do only laugh. Then 30 minutes later, the food was served and my meal came with a dessert so I asked them to please box it to go. After sitting there for another 15 minutes, I placed cash in the check folder and we all left. No dessert, but happy to be gone. NEVER EVER WILL WE RETURN!!! Worst service of all time.
- Busy Christmas EveBYcoyDined on 12/24/2013It was our first visit to this restaurant and it happened to be on Christmas Eve. I read different online reviews mentioning the slow service and this is exactly what happened during our visit. There looked to be only three people doing front of the house the whole time. The service part of our experience took over 2 hours. The food, however, was the best part. We had fillet of sole, mac and cheese, and the chicken wings app. All were very good in their own way, though with small forgettable issues. Dessert was good. We shared the choc mousse and the crème brulee, Again, with small forgettable issues. Overall, we enjoyed the food and plan to return and give this quaint restaurant another shot knowing there's still potential service issues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is not a place to goLoraleiLeeDined on 11/6/2013This is not a place to go if you are in a hurry - the food is prepared fresh and it is delicious but it is not fast. If you are really hungry when you get there ( or even if you're not) order the truffle fries as an appetizer - they are the bomb! Our party of 6 each had different entrees and I sampled some of each - all were really good. We all left with full and happy bellies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Luc'sBarryVIPDined on 10/23/2013Great high quality comfort food dishes with a sophistication you might not expect. All this at reasonable prices make this a great local find. The wait staff was very attentive and each of the 3 dishes we ordered were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were looking for a placePatriciaDined on 10/13/2013We were looking for a place locally to have dinner on a Sunday night and found one. Everything at Luc's was great and we were pleasantly surprised. The menu was delicious comfort type food and the portions were generous. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in PowayLeonSVIPDined on 10/12/2013Our second time at this restaurant. Food is very good and the prices are excellent. A friendly staff as well. We will go back again to this little gem in Poway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good comfort foodgr8diningDined on 10/11/2013Our server was very friendly and helpful. My date and I had the sweet potato fries with chipotle mayo, which was delicious. I had the chicken & dumplings, my date had the carbonara.... both were very good... I would've liked my entree a little less peppery, but it was still very tasty. For dessert, we had the panna cotta. The panna cotta itself and the raspberry topping were delicious, but the "walnut crumble" that came on top of it was a little disappointing - it was more like a broken-up cookie on top, which didn't taste very walnut-y to me. Overall, though, I really enjoyed it. I'll be coming back here when I'm craving good down-home comfort food.... I imagine also wanting to come here on a rainy day..when comfort is what you want.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- work in progressBobBDined on 8/20/2013This place seemed to be in the middle of figuring itself out. The food was decent americana. Pricing was OK on entrees and high on appetizers and drinks. Somehow it seems like there's no working air conditioner there and is not likely to be one, which just doesn't seem reasonable in Poway's climate. The interior was entirely generic. I wanted to like this place better and frankly could use a go to "nearly fine dining" option in Poway for business situations. This is not likely to work for me without some appreciable changes, but I think for other people it might be perfectly fine.
- Luc's Bistro-itisLJNativeDined on 7/26/2013Great spot for lunch. Luc's Bistro is our go-to place to meet our Mt. Woodson friends even if we travel from near downtown. Great food. I always have to try the soup. Beats "corporate chain" establishment menu items. "Tori", our charming food server on more than one occasion is always been first-rate. Try Luc's Bistro.Special Features:
- Hidden SecretN2DiningDined on 7/23/2013Ambiance, food & service were great! Try the crab cakes, jalapeño corn bread & risotto! You won't be dissappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thomas was awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/13/2013My entire waitstaff was great! They timed the courses perfectly. The chicken in wine sauce reduction was not the best texture but it had great flavor. The creme brûlée was magnifique. Tres BonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/14/2013Luc's has been our go to in Poway for years. The best things there are the fish dishes, the soups, burgers and the shrimp and grits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll Be BackLJNativeDined on 5/24/2013Luc's menu offers items not found in your typical "chain" type establishments. Nice to be able to enjoy some dishes that are common in brasseries/cafes in France. My soup was divine, and the pasta dish was delicious. All in our group of four all said we'll be back. Our food server was charming and efficient, making our dining experience first rate.Special Features:
- Neighborhood findOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/19/2013I don't think I would of ever found this restaurant just by driving by. It's in a set back strip mall. But what a find. Nice little place, quite and well decorated. Great friendly, attentive serving staff who made sure we were well taken care of. Food was unexpectedly great. The portions were appropriate and the flavors were deep. We did not have any alcohol, but they had a varied wine and bar list. prices were reasonable . Without alcohol about 18.00 each. Great find, will definitely go back .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luc's Bistro CritiqueCritiqueDined on 5/14/2013This was the first and last time dining at Luc's Bistro. "Bistro"? No, it was a tiny hole in the wall, with a blaring big screen t.v., one big room, old and dingy, 3 employees running the place, none of who could remember who ordered what, plates were delivered to our table and taken back into kitchen, re-delivered, cold food, skimpy portions. When a server sets a plate of food down in front of a guest, guest has to tell them it's not what they ordered, the plate is taken back and given to another guest. BAD.Turkey foccacia sandwich,literally one slice of extremely thin turkey lunch meat bread burnt on the outside. This was a horrible and embarrassing experience for taking a group to lunch. I will never recommend this restaurant to anyone.
- Horrible experienceMrstatsVIPDined on 5/12/2013There were 8 of us and I knew after we ordered, I should have asked our waitress to read back the order. Most of our order was incorrect: The waitress kept telling us it was not her fault, that she wrote down the correct order, that the cooks got it wrong, but a good waitress would have noticed the mistakes, before serving the food. To rub “salt into the wound”, they did not offer to take anything off the bill and then added an 18% gratuity. I would have definitely asked to speak to the manager but since it was a special occasion, with 4 generations of family celebrating Mother’s Day including my 90 year old Grandmother, I didn’t want to make a scene. I will DEFINITELY not be back to this restaurant.
- ComfortableAnnaVIPDined on 5/11/2013This restaurant is a comfortable, pleasant restaurant where the food is delicious and nicely presented.Special Features:
- Cave like appearance.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/8/2013Very drab appearance, dark,needs an up grade. Call Robert Irvine! Too hot but door opened to finally let in some fresh air.Salad was marginal as was the entree. Nothing special.
- The place was empty when IOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/18/2013The place was empty when I walked in a little after 5:00PM so that made me wonder. The hostess/server was very friendly and helpful. My beet salad was overwhelmed by too much lettuce and not enough dressing. I had a filet of sole which was cooked perfectly and accompanied by broccoli and potatoes which were equally well prepared. What was lacking, I guess, were a few crackers with the salad or bread with the entrée, or something. Probably worth going back.
- Delicious food. OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/6/2013Delicious food. Outstanding service. Awful location (though the restaurant itself is done quite nicely for being in a strip mall).Special Features:
- Perfect, as usualJohnCynDined on 3/31/2013Went to Luc’s for Easter dinner, everything was outstanding, which is what I have come to expect from this small gem hidden in a Poway strip mall. The lobster bisque was a perfect start to the meal. The special, braised lamb, was delicious. The signature beverage for the evening, a Maker’s Mark Mint Julep, could not have been done any better.Special Features: