18 Kirk Ave SW
Roanoke, VA 24011Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.eatatlucky.com/
- Phone: 5409821249
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, French American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Jeff Farmer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Able to accomodate up to 25 people on select days and only at certain times. Please call Lucky to make arrangements.
- Private Party Contact: JP Powell 5409821249
A word from Lucky
Lucky specializes in Country French and Southern American comfort food, paired with great wines, craft beers and classic cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Lucky - Best Restaurants in Roanoke ›
Lucky reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (47)neighborhood gem (39)vibrant bar scene (29)special occasion (28)romantic (23)hot spot (17)notable wine list (17)late-night find (13)good for groups (7)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Sublime !thedubDined on 9/20/2014I live in a food destination city (Charleston SC) but grew up in Roanoke.....was always unimpressed with any restaurant in Roanoke....UNTIL NOW......very inventive bar and food menu perfectly executed...... plan to revisit with ALL my future trips...Job well done guys! You are on the Food Map now!Special Features:
- Get LuckyTheMayorDined on 9/13/2014There is no "luck" involved in your dining experience at Lucky. An excellent meal- from appetizer to dessert- accompanied by the tastiest and most well-designed drinks found between DC and Charlotte- are the result of a skilled set of bartenders and an amazing kitchen staff. This spot is a unique quality dining experience in times of franchise menus and drab, cost-cutting cuisine. I highly recommend Lucky for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great servicevivalabourbon9Dined on 9/12/2014Amazing bourbon selection. Fantastic food. My drink "the cube" had an ice cube made from fresh squeezed peaches apples and ginger in a smooth bourbon all in an apple smoked glass. As the cube melted the bourbon got fruitier. The entrée was red snapper with shaved fennel on bed of baby sweet potatoes and pickled peanuts. Great flavor and texture. Best bread pudding I've ever had. The staff is vibrant and very knowledgeable. Great ambiance. The only fault I saw was that it was very loud so much so you couldn't hear the music playing and had difficulty hearing my date. So its not ideal for a quiet romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find.MargaritaMikeDined on 9/12/2014We travel to Roanoke area multiple times a year Loved this place. Food was very good. Cocktails were handcrafted. Raspberry dessert was delightful. Menu is small. But to be expected with fresh food approach. Make a reservation or you will likely have long wait or turned away. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014My wife and i went with another couple on Saturday night. The atmosphere is great and well decorated. Quite busy which makes it a bit loud to have a casual discussion. The drink specials went over well with the ladies and they both enjoyed them fully. Salads were fresh and bit different but very tasty. The tuna special was great and my wife loved the risotto that was with the duck. The one downside was the pork had too much fat and very little meat. Our friends were bit disappointed. Overall, a good experience and would recommend it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big City Eats and Flavors!Chaichica8787Dined on 8/21/2014Having lived in LA for four years and San Francisco for three, I know a bit about serious foodie eats. Lucky beats out my favorite haunts in LA and SF! If the owner ever wants to expand, I could easily see a menu like Lucky's in either LA or SF but running at 2x or 3x the price. The food was phenomenal! Definitely try the marrow on toast, the pork shoulder, and the foie gras creme brûlée. Not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently fabulous!TravelingdinerVIPDined on 8/18/2014From classic cocktails to fine wines to great starters and extroidinary entrees, LUCKY continues it's commitment to the customer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth a detour off I-81!MickDined on 8/16/2014Hipster place, great food, superb service. Interesting beer list. Relaxed and friendly. A Roanoke gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingSammieVIPDined on 8/15/2014As previously demonstrated! Try the Cube, and the nightly special.Special Features:
- Little gemtabletalkDined on 7/28/2014Smaller menus lead to perfect prep and presentation. From appetizer through main course, everything was PERFECT. Portions more than adequate. Only regret, too full for dessert. Do be adventurous with a cocktail, they are superb! Definitely on my good to go list for a follow up visit. Hope the rock fish is on the menu again! Excellent service,timely but not intimidating or stuffy.Special Features:
- No wine list but GREAT drinksGeorgeCVIPDined on 7/19/2014Delicious generous southern comfort with a French twist food. Great drinks! Reasonable prices. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- maestroVIPDined on 7/18/2014Food and service were very good. Choice of background music a little off-putting. Wine selection fairly limited and pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Starcity4foodStarcity4foodDined on 7/17/2014Lucky is our place to introduce visitors to Roanoke. Our friends, like us, are always impressed. The fried chicken was moist, flavorful. The duck was perfect. The star however was the swordfish. The portion, perfectly prepared, was superb! Wine pairings were spot on. Lucky remains the place to begin a visit to our city ...... it is also a great treasure for us Nokers as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth it!DtotheGDined on 7/12/2014A little pricey but worth it. We had steak, oysters, and pork chops. Everything tasted phenomenal. Service was pretty good, and there was a nice vibe in the restaurant, casual and relaxed. It was early--we arrived at 5:30 p.m. on a SaturdaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucky's is OutstandingSuzaDined on 7/9/2014The whole experience at Lucky's is amazing. Started with fabulous innovative cocktails. Very different delicious combinations including an applewood smoked glass/ bourbon delight called Vieux Carre. The food is fantastic. We had bone marrow, duck pate, oysters as apps which were all amazing. The buttermilk fried chicken entree cannot be beat. This is definitely one of my favorite restaurants in Roanoke.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always AwesomeImaneaterDined on 7/3/2014The atmosphere at Lucky makes you want to stay for hours to eat, drink and visit. Hunter, the on-site mixologist, has created a drink list that is amazing - fresh ingredients, top quality liquors, and some funky add-ins make every drink an experience. The wine and beer choices are always on pointe and the food is consistently outstanding. I could eat bowls of the kale and their fried chicken is top-notch. But, if there is seafood on the menu - GET IT! It is always incredible. Ask the wait-staff for their recommendations because they know their food and drinks. It is a small staff overall, but they are personable and happy to make your meal enjoyable.Special Features:
- Great DinnerJohnDined on 6/28/2014Myself and 3 friends had dinner at Lucky. 3 of us ordered the fried chicken and it was out of this world. The drink special was a watermelon and gin concoction that was awesome! Great atmosphere; lively, but quaint. We had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yet Another HitdorodiningDined on 6/28/2014I took my boyfriend to Lucky for his birthday and they certainly did not disappoint. The both of us consider ourselves to be somewhat well-versed in good food and this was a place in DoRo that we had not tried. My boyfriend ordered the Carolina red grouper with tomatillo gazapacho and yellow squash. That gazpacho and squash combination was one of the best things I have ever eaten. I was totally envious of his plate. The confit duck leg was moist and delicious, with the duck fat contributing a silky lushness to the accompanying risotto. The food here never disappoints. I save this one for special occasions. My only complaint was that our table location was in a busy area with lots of foot traffic by the staff. The waiter was also a tad slow.Special Features:
- Consistently wonderful!BeNeWeDined on 6/13/2014We've eaten at Lucky many times and are always most intrigued with their specialty cocktails and menu that's updated with the seasons. This time was no exception. Wonderful soft shell crab dish!Special Features:
- Best steak ever!CNB1VIPDined on 6/12/2014My third visit to Lucky, and once again, they do not disappoint. Had a lovely New York Strip that was perfectly cooked with all the flavor intact. My spouse had the pork chop, also perfectly cooked as well as humongous. My server recommended The John Foster, and it is among the best of any cocktail I have ever had. The delightful pot de creme was rich while not being too rich to finish. We are gluten free and the server was knowledgeable and helpful. Plenty of choices!! Lucky is becoming my favorite go-to spot for when we get to Roanoke.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High quality at a high costMowingByMoonlightDined on 6/9/2014As much as I really, really enjoyed a romantic first date at Lucky, it's unlikely I'll be able to come back often — it's simply out of my league in terms of pricing. The food was great, the service was outstanding, and they reserved the most intimate spot for me, knowing it was a special date. I'll definitely keep it at the top of my list for the most special occasions, but unless you're accustomed to spending over $100 for a dinner date, it's gonna hurt when that check comes.Special Features:
- Not to be missed!LFitzVIPDined on 6/9/2014The cocktails here are truly inspired, and the beer and wine selection is also good. The owners and staff are charming, helpful and attentive and the the food is gourmet quality (and I work with an award-winning French chef so I feel I can say that). We had the oysters, mussels, and duck, and it was all wonderful. Great atmosphere too! If I lived in town, I'd be a regular for sure!Special Features:
- A hidden gem!screamingmonkeyDined on 6/6/2014Fantastic place if you're in Roanoke. A bit off the beaten path but well worth the effort. Very friendly staff, owner/bartender Hunter. Very creative cocktails I never seen, and great taste. The chef is top notch, porchetta, mussels, octopus, duck confit, fried chicken, pretty much all on menu were excellent! Bone marrow one of the best I've eaten. I recommend you sit at the bar and enjoy the company of patrons and bartenders.Special Features:
- Cool, innovative and delicious!lblloydDined on 5/28/2014New to the area and as a bona fide foodie, I can honestly say this restaurant is a gem. My new favorite. Never been to a restaurant that actually has Prosecco on tap - gotta love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 56 reviews are from the Lucky reviews archive.
- May 2014OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/22/2014Food was unimpressive. A single fried soft shell crab with cucumbers & a piece of bread $28.00! But our waitress was great. The other staff greeted us & were friendly. Would probably not go back.Special Features:
- Don't Duck the DuckOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/22/2014The meat fell right off the bone onto the best rice pilaf I have ever tasted... The balsamic vinegar based drink( Strawberry/Cucumber Crush?) was amazing. Thank you for a great evening.Special Features:
- Not what we were looking forOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/21/2014My wife and I had appetizers and a glass of wine at Lucky. We were looking for a place to have dinner for our anniversary. We sat in teh bar since the "dining" area is very small. the bar was crowded and very noisy.Special Features:
- Brilliant ChefOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/19/2014My wife and I celebrated her birthday here, our first-time visit, and we were totally WOWED! The Rappahannock River Oysters on the half shell, (flown in overnight!) were the absolute freshest and tastiest we have ever had, and we go to oyster festivals regularly. The goat cheese and beet salads with walnuts & cranberry vinaigrette were a perfect lead-in to the decadent, roasted marrow bones with charred lemon and parsley tapenade. We then shared a Thai-style soft shell crab sandwich, deconstructed on baguette with pickled Daikon & jalapenos--just the right amount of heat. And then the ultimate, decadent dessert: creme brulee made sinfully rich with foie gras. Chef Jeff Farmer is a pure genius, totally dedicated to Lucky's lucky diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our server and the food on Saturday night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Night CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/16/2014Outstanding service and friendly staff; Food was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So thrilled with my experience!AmyCDined on 5/13/2014I had the foie gras twice during the night. Waitstaff outstanding, food outstanding, drinking outstanding and I miss you already.Special Features:
- Fun place, good food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/12/2014We sat at the bar here which was fun as we were able to talk to the owner who is an interesting guy. The food was good. They are known for their drinks and the drinks are made with the freshest of ingredients. I thought the margarita and bourbon based drinks we ordered could've been tastier though. On the other hand, my duck confit main course was VERY tasty!Special Features:
- Enjoyable eveningHungeryHippoDined on 5/10/2014We went to Lucky's on a Saturday Night, the bar was full as was the restaurant. We had reservations and we were seated promptly in a booth. The noise level was high but we could converse without having to yell. The service was timely and the cocktails were great, but they were out of the wine we selected for dinner. The wine list could be expanded. The portions were good and the food was excellent. All in all, we have a great meal and evening with friends.Special Features:
- very good "find"debber44Dined on 5/5/2014Love this place! Very interesting items on their menu. My friends are Gluten intolerant and they were able to have a few choices on the menu. I had Rockfish which was wonderful. The Crème Brule we had for dessert tasted like fresh whipped cream. Wonderful!Special Features:
- Great Atmosphere and ServiceLove2eatDined on 5/5/2014This was my first visit and I was excited about attending. Our waiter was awesome!! He patiently listened to our questions about the drinks and the food and was able to describe or explain everything we asked about!! We're that group of people who ask about everything so it's nice when the waiter takes the time to talk to you. The food was good, but my chicken was a little over cooked, burned on the outside, but my mashed potatoes and kale was tasty. My sister had the pork shoulder and it was pretty amazing along with the bacon grits that accompanied it! Also, the drink were very tasty and well made I had a mint julep and some other type of drink but I can't remember the name. It had champagne in it and it was lovely!!Special Features:
- A special placeRichmonderDined on 5/2/2014So glad we came across Lucky, as I was in town for work. Sincerely one of the best meals we have had all year. Awesome, intricately prepared craft cocktails, nice selection of wines by the glass. Pork shoulder with grits and potliker was absolutely fantastic. Bone marrow appetizer was just perfect. Wow. This place is impressive !! The service is knowledgeable, polished and professional as well. 5 Stars!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucky is a gemMalabaDined on 4/28/2014If someone brought me to Lucky blinkfolded, the atmosphere and the quality of the food (and sublime cocktails) might convince me that I was in New York City. Our handful of dinners there have been consistently exceptional. To say we appreciate Lucky's presence in Roanoke would be an understatement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun on Saturday nightSandraCDined on 4/26/2014Enjoyed our lovely meal at Luckys. Our server was very accommodating and gave good suggestions on what were some of the favorites on the menu. The Avery Quinn Chardonnay was yummy with a nice note of vanilla, this is served by the glass. Salads on small plates were plenty and delicious, just enough to tag along with the main course. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Romantic EveningF1neD1neDined on 4/25/2014Had a very nice date night at Lucky! The wine was very good, appetizer was interesting and good, the salad was excellent as were the scallops. We had not planned to order desert, but the dark chocolate cinnamon combination proved irresistable and is one of the better deserts that I have had in a long time! The place was busy, but we felt well taken care of the whole time. I will return here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/25/2014House made tonic water that went in my vodka was outstanding. Fried chicken was superb as always. Portion size of the soft shell crab was surprising meager.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.