18 Kirk Ave SW
Roanoke, VA 24011Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.eatatlucky.com/
- Phone: (540) 982-1249
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, French American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Jeff Farmer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Able to accomodate up to 25 people on select days and only at certain times. Please call Lucky to make arrangements.
- Private Party Contact: JP Powell 5409821249x
A word from Lucky
Lucky specializes in Country French and Southern American comfort food, paired with great wines, craft beers and classic cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Lucky - Best Restaurants in Roanoke ›
Lucky reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (57)neighborhood gem (45)vibrant bar scene (36)special occasion (28)hot spot (22)romantic (21)notable wine list (15)late-night find (11)good for groups (10)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Awesome meal and service.GoodfoodDined on 11/15/2014The rockfish was amazing. Thanks for a wonderful meal with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get Lucky!NYVisitorDined on 11/10/2014Lucky's rightfully calls itself a gastropub - featuring hearty, original, preparations of good local ingredients. Add to that an inventive cocktail list. Rappahanock oysters, local pork roast, buttermilk fried chicken, and duck confit are often on the menu which changes seasonally. Very nice vibe makes the space an enjoyable place to be for the evening.Special Features:
- Upscale restaurant on hidden side streetErinCDined on 11/10/2014My husband and I went to Lucky for the first time for our wedding anniversary. They gave us wonderful complimentary champagne drinks - mixed drinks. Not sure all what was in them, they were slightly tart but hugely tasty with a black cherry. That was a very nice alternative to offering us a dessert or ? really enjoyed that. My husband got the fried chicken which I later heard was considered one of their best dishes. He said the outside was wonderfully seasoned. I had the flounder... and had mixed feelings. The sweet potato hash and the green tomato relish were wonderful. The flounder was lightly breaded, very lightly (which was great) and served between those. Unfortunately, flounder is almost tasteless as a white fish and it just was this non-descript layer between two very flavorful things and it just wasn't working for me. It wasn't bad, but the fact the pieces were radically different thicknesses meant in addition to the lack of flavor... one thin piece was cold and the thick piece was hot enough to make me grab for the water. Eh, wouldn't order it again... it just needed something with that fish that wasn't there. A drizzle of sauce? something. I admit to loving Local Roots, where the food is also very upscale but the atmosphere is relaxed and friendly. The atmosphere in Lucky was a bit more um formal? stuffy? I also didn't care for that as much. It was very nice, don't get me wrong. It's just not me. I like the art and love of food feeling I get at Local Roots. Here, I just didn't feel that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great3peepsdiningDined on 11/8/2014Had another great experience here! The food is innovative and always fresh! Would always highly recommend Lucky for a great meal!Special Features:
- Excellent experienceCRCGDined on 11/7/2014The best vodka gimlet I've ever had and the food was outstanding.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014The entire night was lovely. The hostess was friendly, our server was knowledgeable and engaging, the bartender made an excellent drink, and the food was excellent. The roasted oysters were a real standout.Special Features:
- A little quirkypostcard441Dined on 10/31/2014But food was very good and service was excellent. Halloween night was especially fun, as wait staff and many diners we in full costume!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/13/2014Service was really wonderful. The food was quite good - my pork shoulder entree was delicious! They do need to expand their wine list, and our waiter indicated that an upgrade is in the works.Special Features:
- WahooVIPDined on 10/11/2014The food is great & service was very good. Innovative bar drinks. Unfortunately, a few negatives undermine the dining experience. We don't mind some noise in restaurants, but this place is extremely loud...it was difficult to have a conversation, especially since other diners at other tables were raising their voices to be heard. And the dessert menu (faded calligraphy on a brown paper attached to a board) was so difficult to read we skipped that course (although we assumed it would be very good); if the restaurant doesn't care about making the options clear, why bother. Very undecided about a return, but would urge others to give it a try...not many other Roanoke places can match the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little placedeafdinerDined on 10/10/2014Food was terrific, though our waiter forgot to mention the specials. Would definitely return. Extensive whiskey selection and unique gin cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite!BeNeWeDined on 10/3/2014Food and drink is always unique and exceptional!!! Grilled Rappahanock oysters, rabbit stew, apple crumble....perfect wine & beer to go along with it. Beautiful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Outstanding ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014My aunt was in from FL. First place I thought of was dinner at Lucky. Todd was our server and he was absolutely amazing! He laughed and joked with us and made us feel really comfortable. We had the mussel bowls and salads and it was awesome! I got a Moscow Mule and I was not impressed. 2 friends of mine recommended your mules and I was excited to try one. For $10, it was watery and flavorless. The only ginger flavor I got was at the very end, last couple of sips. And I didn't taste any alcohol. The giant ice cubes really watered it down. Additionally, the table behind us was a large party and they were quite loud. It was hard to have a normal conversation with them echoing through the small space. Regardless, I can't wait to come back!Special Features:
- Great environmentJimFDined on 9/29/2014Love the menu especially when a Duck Confit really is.....No, I mean really is......Knows what he is doing. Cooked in the duck fat...Dang, that's good! Wines by the glass overpriced compared to other restaurants and no better choices really but still good accompaniments to their menu. But gives me feeling of I am being "leveraged." But there is no question the menu is terrific, the service excellent and the atmosphere delightful. Even better---bit "out of the way" and so a great place just to relax. Bar service is also excellent. Bartender delightful and knowledgeable with attention to detail. Made me feel welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best cocktails in RoanokeBklyncocktailsVIPDined on 9/26/2014All of their cocktails are amazing. They are really elevating the cocktail game in Roanoke (and since I live in Brooklyn I know good cocktails). The most recent visit they had a special cocktail called the cube. Bourbon, poured over an ice cube made of apple juice and ginger. That alone would have been pretty good, but get this, they served it in a glass that had been smoked with apple wood. Mind Blown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Craft Cocktails Await You!TravelingdinerVIPDined on 9/25/2014It's all about the experience. If you have an interest in outstanding local food combined with a fascination of craft cocktails, LUCKY is the place for you. The cocktails are superb with passionate bartenders, easily reflected in the resulting beverage of your choice. They take craft cocktails to new heights. Lucky's appetizers, entrees and desserts are always consistent in quality...offering the finest in good comfort food!Special Features:
- vishuseatsDined on 9/24/2014Killer cocktails and forward thinking menu. Went for my anniversary, and was presently surprised. I would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sublime !thedubDined on 9/20/2014I live in a food destination city (Charleston SC) but grew up in Roanoke.....was always unimpressed with any restaurant in Roanoke....UNTIL NOW......very inventive bar and food menu perfectly executed...... plan to revisit with ALL my future trips...Job well done guys! You are on the Food Map now!Special Features:
- food was amazingllacjDined on 9/19/2014muscles are great must try, the beer and wine and drink lists are excellent as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get LuckyTheMayorDined on 9/13/2014There is no "luck" involved in your dining experience at Lucky. An excellent meal- from appetizer to dessert- accompanied by the tastiest and most well-designed drinks found between DC and Charlotte- are the result of a skilled set of bartenders and an amazing kitchen staff. This spot is a unique quality dining experience in times of franchise menus and drab, cost-cutting cuisine. I highly recommend Lucky for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great servicevivalabourbon9Dined on 9/12/2014Amazing bourbon selection. Fantastic food. My drink "the cube" had an ice cube made from fresh squeezed peaches apples and ginger in a smooth bourbon all in an apple smoked glass. As the cube melted the bourbon got fruitier. The entrée was red snapper with shaved fennel on bed of baby sweet potatoes and pickled peanuts. Great flavor and texture. Best bread pudding I've ever had. The staff is vibrant and very knowledgeable. Great ambiance. The only fault I saw was that it was very loud so much so you couldn't hear the music playing and had difficulty hearing my date. So its not ideal for a quiet romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find.MargaritaMikeDined on 9/12/2014We travel to Roanoke area multiple times a year Loved this place. Food was very good. Cocktails were handcrafted. Raspberry dessert was delightful. Menu is small. But to be expected with fresh food approach. Make a reservation or you will likely have long wait or turned away. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014My wife and i went with another couple on Saturday night. The atmosphere is great and well decorated. Quite busy which makes it a bit loud to have a casual discussion. The drink specials went over well with the ladies and they both enjoyed them fully. Salads were fresh and bit different but very tasty. The tuna special was great and my wife loved the risotto that was with the duck. The one downside was the pork had too much fat and very little meat. Our friends were bit disappointed. Overall, a good experience and would recommend it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big City Eats and Flavors!Chaichica8787Dined on 8/21/2014Having lived in LA for four years and San Francisco for three, I know a bit about serious foodie eats. Lucky beats out my favorite haunts in LA and SF! If the owner ever wants to expand, I could easily see a menu like Lucky's in either LA or SF but running at 2x or 3x the price. The food was phenomenal! Definitely try the marrow on toast, the pork shoulder, and the foie gras creme brûlée. Not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently fabulous!TravelingdinerVIPDined on 8/18/2014From classic cocktails to fine wines to great starters and extroidinary entrees, LUCKY continues it's commitment to the customer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth a detour off I-81!MickDined on 8/16/2014Hipster place, great food, superb service. Interesting beer list. Relaxed and friendly. A Roanoke gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingSammieVIPDined on 8/15/2014As previously demonstrated! Try the Cube, and the nightly special.Special Features:
- The following 71 reviews are from the Lucky reviews archive.
- Little gemtabletalkDined on 7/28/2014Smaller menus lead to perfect prep and presentation. From appetizer through main course, everything was PERFECT. Portions more than adequate. Only regret, too full for dessert. Do be adventurous with a cocktail, they are superb! Definitely on my good to go list for a follow up visit. Hope the rock fish is on the menu again! Excellent service,timely but not intimidating or stuffy.Special Features:
- No wine list but GREAT drinksGeorgeCVIPDined on 7/19/2014Delicious generous southern comfort with a French twist food. Great drinks! Reasonable prices. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- maestroVIPDined on 7/18/2014Food and service were very good. Choice of background music a little off-putting. Wine selection fairly limited and pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Starcity4foodStarcity4foodDined on 7/17/2014Lucky is our place to introduce visitors to Roanoke. Our friends, like us, are always impressed. The fried chicken was moist, flavorful. The duck was perfect. The star however was the swordfish. The portion, perfectly prepared, was superb! Wine pairings were spot on. Lucky remains the place to begin a visit to our city ...... it is also a great treasure for us Nokers as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth it!DtotheGDined on 7/12/2014A little pricey but worth it. We had steak, oysters, and pork chops. Everything tasted phenomenal. Service was pretty good, and there was a nice vibe in the restaurant, casual and relaxed. It was early--we arrived at 5:30 p.m. on a SaturdaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucky's is OutstandingSuzaDined on 7/9/2014The whole experience at Lucky's is amazing. Started with fabulous innovative cocktails. Very different delicious combinations including an applewood smoked glass/ bourbon delight called Vieux Carre. The food is fantastic. We had bone marrow, duck pate, oysters as apps which were all amazing. The buttermilk fried chicken entree cannot be beat. This is definitely one of my favorite restaurants in Roanoke.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always AwesomeImaneaterDined on 7/3/2014The atmosphere at Lucky makes you want to stay for hours to eat, drink and visit. Hunter, the on-site mixologist, has created a drink list that is amazing - fresh ingredients, top quality liquors, and some funky add-ins make every drink an experience. The wine and beer choices are always on pointe and the food is consistently outstanding. I could eat bowls of the kale and their fried chicken is top-notch. But, if there is seafood on the menu - GET IT! It is always incredible. Ask the wait-staff for their recommendations because they know their food and drinks. It is a small staff overall, but they are personable and happy to make your meal enjoyable.Special Features:
- Great DinnerJohnDined on 6/28/2014Myself and 3 friends had dinner at Lucky. 3 of us ordered the fried chicken and it was out of this world. The drink special was a watermelon and gin concoction that was awesome! Great atmosphere; lively, but quaint. We had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yet Another HitdorodiningDined on 6/28/2014I took my boyfriend to Lucky for his birthday and they certainly did not disappoint. The both of us consider ourselves to be somewhat well-versed in good food and this was a place in DoRo that we had not tried. My boyfriend ordered the Carolina red grouper with tomatillo gazapacho and yellow squash. That gazpacho and squash combination was one of the best things I have ever eaten. I was totally envious of his plate. The confit duck leg was moist and delicious, with the duck fat contributing a silky lushness to the accompanying risotto. The food here never disappoints. I save this one for special occasions. My only complaint was that our table location was in a busy area with lots of foot traffic by the staff. The waiter was also a tad slow.Special Features:
- Consistently wonderful!BeNeWeDined on 6/13/2014We've eaten at Lucky many times and are always most intrigued with their specialty cocktails and menu that's updated with the seasons. This time was no exception. Wonderful soft shell crab dish!Special Features:
- Best steak ever!CNB1VIPDined on 6/12/2014My third visit to Lucky, and once again, they do not disappoint. Had a lovely New York Strip that was perfectly cooked with all the flavor intact. My spouse had the pork chop, also perfectly cooked as well as humongous. My server recommended The John Foster, and it is among the best of any cocktail I have ever had. The delightful pot de creme was rich while not being too rich to finish. We are gluten free and the server was knowledgeable and helpful. Plenty of choices!! Lucky is becoming my favorite go-to spot for when we get to Roanoke.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High quality at a high costMowingByMoonlightDined on 6/9/2014As much as I really, really enjoyed a romantic first date at Lucky, it's unlikely I'll be able to come back often — it's simply out of my league in terms of pricing. The food was great, the service was outstanding, and they reserved the most intimate spot for me, knowing it was a special date. I'll definitely keep it at the top of my list for the most special occasions, but unless you're accustomed to spending over $100 for a dinner date, it's gonna hurt when that check comes.Special Features:
- Not to be missed!LFitzVIPDined on 6/9/2014The cocktails here are truly inspired, and the beer and wine selection is also good. The owners and staff are charming, helpful and attentive and the the food is gourmet quality (and I work with an award-winning French chef so I feel I can say that). We had the oysters, mussels, and duck, and it was all wonderful. Great atmosphere too! If I lived in town, I'd be a regular for sure!Special Features:
- A hidden gem!screamingmonkeyDined on 6/6/2014Fantastic place if you're in Roanoke. A bit off the beaten path but well worth the effort. Very friendly staff, owner/bartender Hunter. Very creative cocktails I never seen, and great taste. The chef is top notch, porchetta, mussels, octopus, duck confit, fried chicken, pretty much all on menu were excellent! Bone marrow one of the best I've eaten. I recommend you sit at the bar and enjoy the company of patrons and bartenders.Special Features: