237 West 42nd Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lucillesgrillnyc.com/
- Phone: 2129974144
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Vincent Cani
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant
- Entertainment: Lucille's Grill offers free live music every night of the week beginning at 8:00pm.
A word from Lucille's Grill
Lucille's Grill, named “Best Great Bar That You’d Never Suspect Was a Great Bar” by the New York Press, where local acts from the New York music scene jam away with no cover price every night of the week. The mahogany framed, bi-level bar & grill offers a unique atmosphere, complete with signature saxophone beer taps. Colorful contemporary art and iconic photography of all the legendary blues masters in the rich history of this uniquely American music form adorn the restaurant walls. Lucille's combines great food, service, and atmosphere in the heart of Times Square. Our menu mirrors the diversity of the Big Apple; traditional American fare with a hint of Southern influence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lucille's Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
- The restaurant told the guestsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/6/2012The restaurant told the guests to finish their drinks and get out due to a new arrangement starting later in the evening. This is not what you should expect when you reserve table at a restaurant. We were in the restaurant, not the stage or concert area. This was never informed about in advance, and we would never have reserved a table there if we'd been aware that we couldn't spend the whole evening there.
- Lucille's - a place to be lonelyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/25/2011It was so quiet there on Christmas day afternoon, at first we were the only diners - nobody else but the waitress. No band, nobody at the bar - it was like early closing aboard the Mary Celeste. The food was rubbish too... sorry, I would only recommend it to a sworn enemy.
- Good place for a great night outSailoffDined on 12/5/2011Great find. Fun atmosphere, good food and bar, and jazz. Dinner and entertainment all in one.Special Features:
- Food was quite poor and aOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/3/2011Food was quite poor and a somewhat overpriced. However, go there for the music, which is free (in effect) when you dine or drink.Special Features:
- not bad for a bite b4 a show.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/23/2011not bad for a bite b4 a show. not sure I would go there otherwise. went on salsa nite, & music was VERY loudSpecial Features:
- The food was excellent. IOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/16/2011The food was excellent. I had the BBQ salmon which was moist and delicious and the Apple Martinis are yummy.Special Features:
- I've been eating here severalOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2011I've been eating here several times a year since 2007. The food is basic, honest southern comfort food. The service is warm, friendly and efficent. Ambience is enhanced by the very talented musicians that grace the stage. My only disappointment was that the original spicy dill "Lucille's" pickles; a perennial favourite of mine have been replaced and will be sadly missed!Special Features:
- Not goodMaresDined on 5/17/2011I ate there a couple years ago and it was fantastic. I had been craving it since then so was finally back in NYC and was so excited to go back. I was very disappointed. The food was horrible! The dessert was good, but the meals were not.
- We decided to eat at Lucille'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/2/2011We decided to eat at Lucille's Grill in BB King's because we were seeing a John Waite concert there that night. Smack dab in the middle of Times Square. We had reservations for 4, were seated immediately by a friendly maitre d, who put us in a cool looking corner booth she referred to as the gangsta table...and it felt just like that. Great ambience, live band. We had the Prixe fixe dinner, from which I ate the ceasar salad (tasty) cajun salmon (sooo good) and a slice of key lime pie (good.) This whole meal, in NYC, was only $21!!! My friends also ate from the Prixe Fixe menu and the whole bill was less than $100 for 4 people including drinks. Great deal, great location, nice waitress, great ambience. I will be back.Special Features:
- The food was very good. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/27/2010The food was very good. The service was a little weak. Had to ask for condiments that should have triggered the servers mind based on the entrees we ordered. Overall, the server was friendly, but not as attentive as I would have liked.Special Features:
- Food was over priced & serviceMaalaeaHawaiiDined on 11/26/2010Food was over priced & service was lacking. It seemed that they were interested in those attending the show and those eating dinner were an after thought.
- There is so much noise thatShikaraVIPDined on 11/18/2010There is so much noise that even hearing thoughts in my head were difficult to discern. Seriously this is not as place for the disabled like myself. The elevator was broken. In order to reach the dining/bar area one has to go down two flights. To reach the facilities from the dining room, one has to go up a flight. The food was great but expensive so I really cannot recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Very disappointing experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/13/2010Very disappointing experience. I looked forward to a good BBQ chicken dinner. I was given 2 small pieces of mostly dry chicken. I had to request extra BBQ sauce to give it some taste. I asked if I could have a salad instead of french fires, as I don't like to eat fried food. I had to pay $3 extra for this substituion. I spent $27 for the 2 pieces of chicken and some lettuce and tomatoes. My husband ordered the price fixed dinner and had a big dry hamburger and dried out fries. I guess that is what you get when you choose a touristy place to eat. We chose it because it was close to the theater we were going to. The piped in music was loud and annoying.
- The atmosphere was great,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/19/2010The atmosphere was great, the band Chris Phillips was good, we got there at 11pm, sadly, to late to see the other bands. Will visit again when I visit NY. The girl at the seating desk was very friendly, the waitress was very good as well. Cheers Sharon (Melbourne Australia)Special Features:
- great to go to hear music.foodOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/9/2010great to go to hear music.food is ok, but they charge extra for beer imported from Boston,(Sam Adams} what are they thinking?
- We went for early dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/5/2010We went for early dinner. I thought that the ambiance was very good and was an extremely enjoyable experience. The menu was good, but there was too much of a difference in price and selection between the fixed price menu and the regular menu. We ordered off the regular menu. The food quality and presentation was good. We will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Food was good, server wasOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/15/2010Food was good, server was excellent! Great atmosphere.Special Features:
- The food was very pricey andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2010The food was very pricey and the quality was well below expectations. The wine list was unexceptional. Great for a beer and burger meal. The service and ambiance very good and would recommend arriving late for the live music.
- The dining experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/31/2010The dining experience was so-so. I ordered the roasted chicken and potatoes and the dish was served with french fries...French fries are potatoes but for $150.00 you would think to receive something more fitting than fried potatoes.Special Features:
- I really enjoyed this restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/10/2010I really enjoyed this restaurant. Although it was empty when we went after a matinee on a Saturday, I still got the felling of a lively place. The appitizer of popcorn lime shrimp was the best. The BBQ combo and the BBQ ribs were great entrees. The food was full of great BBQ flavor and the portions were just right, not too much and not too little. I really did not care for the potato salad but my husband said it was good. The pecan pie was great but I must say that the cheese cake was like any other cheese cake, good but not great. The waiter service was very good and they were attentive. I would recommend this place and would definitly go again.Special Features:
- My dining experience was good.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/30/2010My dining experience was good. However the choices of foods from the pre-theater menus were not very good. They should keep in mind their patrons that do not eat meat. Food was cold and not very seasoned.Special Features:
- Make sure you watch the hostessOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/18/2010Make sure you watch the hostess check you in for your reservation. I reminded them and I still received a no show email from open table. I have been here several times, this was my first time having to wait for almost an hour for a wrap and a simple salmon and side dish! It was ridiculous!
- The food was terrible. AlthoughOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/17/2010The food was terrible. Although it has been a number of years, I have previously eaten there. Previously I'd enjoyed myself but after this past experience, never, ever again.
- While we were there, Xm/SiriusSiasabbyVIPDined on 12/4/2009While we were there, Xm/Sirius was doing live interview with some hip/hop "stars" who were talking about their prison experiences. Not what I cared to hear about, and I was only there because I did not know food was served in jazz club on other side of building.Special Features:
- Second Time at Lucille's withOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/28/2009Second Time at Lucille's with new people I was trying to introduce to restaurant. Steak menu changed and was killed with salt. Different than the steak I bragged about to so many people. Service was great as always, but did have to wait due to showing up one half hour earlier than my reservation. Never the less, great time, but menu is getting boring.Special Features:
- Very Disappointing!!! It'sOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/25/2009Very Disappointing!!! It's a bar with a dance floor NOT a place to have dinner. I expected to have dinner and listen to a live band. Well the band never played... only dj music for the bar/dance floor area. It was soo extremely loud that we were screaming at each other and still couldn't hear. The food was ok... nothing special, expensive for what you get. There IS a cover charge for the table even though the scheduled live music never happned. We stayed until 9:30 and finally left. Will never go again and would discourage everybody from going there for dinner. It's a total waste of time!Special Features:
- After reading some negativeFoodloverVIPDined on 10/2/2009After reading some negative reviews about the food, we were pleasantly surprised how good the food was. From the prix fixe dinner, we both ordered the Caesar Salad, shared the cheeseburger and the pulled pork sandwich and both had the pecan pie with Chantilly cream and though not on the menu, came with maple walnut ice cream. The only improvement could have been more dressing on the heaping plate of Caesar salad. All in all, a very good experience. I would definitely return.
- Live music was good but that'sOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/2/2009Live music was good but that's about it. The service was poor (and extremely slow for NY), food mediocre at best and the portions small. I wouldn't go back.
- In general, the food was goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2009In general, the food was good but overpriced, even for Times Square.
- We had pre-booked our tableOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/24/2009We had pre-booked our table on line, so the waitress was aware of our booking on arrival. The service was very good, together with the menu and the musical event for the evening, which added to a wonderful experience in New York. I would certainly recommend this venue for a lively night out.Special Features:
- This was my first time attendingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2009This was my first time attending a Jazz Club. I love very much the fact that there was a restaurant on site. We had such a wonderful time listening to music and eating a wonderful dinner. Thanks for a great time. I hope to be back again. DSpecial Features:
- I was VERY dissapointed withOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/1/2009I was VERY dissapointed with my visit to Lucille's Grill. It was my husband's birthday, and I booked the reservation via OpenTable.com, but when we arrived and said we had a reservation we were told that it didn't matter, and was seated. My husband's birthday was not acknowledged as I requested. The food was horrible!!! It tasted as if it was prepared out of a frozen food section. The drinks we ordered were extremely small, and had the nerve to be watered down, and expensive. Overall the atmosphere was pleasant. Our waiter was average. I asked him to suggest a drink and he couldn't, but he did suggest my meal, which I didn't enjoy. We will not go back to Lucille's Bar and Grill.
- Four of us were there on 7/24/09OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/24/2009Four of us were there on 7/24/09 for Kool & the Gang's 40th anniversary and we had an absolutely wonderful time. There was a very affordable prix fixe menu (appetizer, entree and dessert for $20.xx), of which we took full advantage. The food was outstanding and so was the service. They graciously accommodated our requests (i.e. sauce on the side, etc) and brought the check quickly when it was time to move into the concert room. The only negative: When there is a first come first served event and you have dinner beforehand, you receive a number to determine when you are admitted and you can request a booth. We were there early and received the #2 but the hostess did not ask where we wanted to be seated and we had to demand the booth.Special Features:
- service was very good butOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/3/2009service was very good but i had the macaroni and cheese and if you are looking for the south mac and cheese this is not the dish for you not only is it pricey but it is made with a sauce instead of chedder cheese. my friends enjoyed there dish which happened to be a seafood appetizer.Special Features:
- We've been in numerous restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/30/2009We've been in numerous restaurants around the world, but this is definitely one of the "must do's". Superb food, great wine, service with a lot of attention for details. Make reservations and ask to be seated near the stage. We enjoyed a performance of Chris Philipps. Never heard of the guy, but he was awesome, his basist-player was extra-ordinary. (note to Chris : I don't know if you know this but on the high notes, you tent to stand on 1 leg :-) ) If you like music and great food, if you like to relax in a vibrant city : visit Lucilles when Chris is performing (an no... I'm not payed by or related to...)Special Features:
- The food was good, but overOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/26/2009The food was good, but over priced. I did not get what I asked for. The service was very slow. We would never eat there again.Special Features:
- Staff were polite and courteous..mikeDined on 6/17/2009Staff were polite and courteous.. Very enjoyable experience Would definitely recommend.
- What a disappointment. A realMikeKVIPDined on 5/23/2009What a disappointment. A real tourist trap. The food was below par, even for Times Square. Service was very slow, waitress was like invisible. Almost missed the theater because of time spent trying to pay the bill
- Lucille's was a wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/5/2008Lucille's was a wonderful place but the food wasn't that great for the money. A cheese burger was almost $20 and tasted like anything you could buy for $5. i was not impressed by the menu at all. The atmosphere was wonderful and there wasn't a bad seat in the house to watch the show. That made up for the food.Special Features:
- Good location, food just average.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/1/2008Good location, food just average. Service HORRIBLE!! Our server never checked on us, it took over 15 minutes after we sat to get any water. The server couldn't remember who ordered what at our table.