888 Howard Street
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lucewinerestaurant.com/
- Phone: (415) 616-6566
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:00am - 11:00am
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 6:00am-2:30pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef de Cuisine, Daniel Corey
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Happy hour at Bar 888 is here Sunday - Thursday 3:00pm - 5:30 pm.
During happy hour we are delighted to serve all our Snacks and Appetizers at a $2 reduction.
A word from Luce
Awarded a Michelin star six years consecutively (2010-2015), Luce features an urban setting that is modern and sophisticated, yet stunningly warm and inviting. The main dining room features floor-to-ceiling-windows adorned with sheer metallic gold curtains. Hand-blown Italian bubble-like lamps provide a flattering glow to the dark tropical wood accents and elegantly appointed tables. The globally inspired New American menu reflects the bounties from the surrounding farms of San Francisco and changes according to freshness and seasonality. Each dish is artistically created and highlights an inventive flair for marrying diverse flavors with natural organic ingredients into a gastronomic delight. The wine program offers a superb collection that inspires daring pairings at prices that encourage exploration, and has garnered the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence since 2010.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Luce reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (53)special occasion (37)notable wine list (26)good for groups (24)great for lunch (22)romantic (20)neighborhood gem (18)great for brunch (9)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (5)scenic view (2)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- DisappointedST001Dined on 1/26/2014Came here for Dine About Town with my boyfriend. There were two options for each of the three courses so we ordered both and split so we could try everything on the Dine About Town menu and ordered drinks as well. It was a solid (but not exceptional) appetizer, main course, and drink. The desserts were not sweet and didn't taste very good. The judges on Food Network who "don't like sweet desserts" would probably think the desserts here were not sweet enough. Overall it was a decent meal, but I don't know how Luce has a Michelin star (I've been to State Bird and they deserve theirs). There are definitely better restaurants in SF without one. I will not be coming back.Special Features:
- first michelin star experiencelineVIPDined on 1/26/2014This was our first dining experience with a Michelin star-rated restaurant. We came for DAT 2014. We were very impressed by the presentation and flavors of the food. The service was impeccable and well-coordinated. The staff was very friendly.Special Features:
- Good for a Hotel RestaurantNickVIPDined on 1/25/2014SF has an endless supply of michelin-starred restaurants, so it feels silly going to a hotel restaurant (even if it's one of the starred ones). However, the food was delightful. Not as inventive as some, but consistently good. And the waiter was great. My only complaint is that the wine pairing was poor. I don't even have 10 bottles at home and I felt like I could have done a better job with those. Also, beware that it's always empty on a Friday or Saturday night. This is a business traveler hotel, after all.Special Features:
- Good Food - good for lunchSausalitoDinerVIPDined on 1/19/2014Good lunch food - service was quick - so its easy to get in and out. The beet salad was tiny considering the price. We had Chicken Club sandwiches and they were good - chicken was moist and the bread was toasted nicely. The service staff was quick but a uninformed about the components in the Duck Leg Confit Salad. The upholstery was badly stained. Price point was ok for a working lunch but not priced for personal spend.Special Features:
- Excellent and creative tastingEBEBVIPDined on 1/4/2014Excellent and creative tasting menu and wonderful ambience. However, the level of service does NOT deserve a Michelin star. They DID have very friendly staffs, but one would expect MUCH more from them with a star, such as checking on water/wine glasses periodically, swiping bread crumbs off the table after each course, re-folding napkins when a diner leaves the table to visit the men's/ladies' room, pacing each course appropriately by watching the diners, just to name a few details that were NOT done during our visit. Although not expected, we did mention that we were celebrating a birthday when we were making a reservation, but no word/comment, not to mention a complimentary dessert came from the restaurant. Probably will not visit again.
- New Year's dinner at LuceWillDined on 12/31/2013New Year's dinner at Luce - we had a nice big booth for a table which was nice, but don't love the fact that the restaurant is situated in the Intercontinental Hotel lobby. The food looked better than it tasted for the most part and I did the wine pairing which was quite disappointing as two of my dishes were finished before the wine for those dishes was actually served. The portions were not large and we left feeling hungry after a 5 course meal. The presentation of the dishes was very good, but the flavor was just ok (although we did have one prawn dish that was fantastic) - we really thought we were going to be more impressed given the Michelin star and at the end of the night felt quite underwhelmed unfortunately.
- FantasticMichelleVIPDined on 12/27/2013We had Timothy as our waiter and he was incredibly knowlegeable about our food and the wine pairing. The wines were perfectly paired with our 9 course meal!! Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas Brunch at LuceKristenDined on 12/25/2013The food was scrumptious and the prix fixe holiday brunch let us sample a variety of types of dishes plus try an a la carte entree. I had the salmon eggs benedict and my husband had the burger with truffle fries. Both were excellent! Would love to try the restaurant again when it's not prix fixe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Xmas Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/25/2013The xmas brunch at Luce is not a huge spread, but it has just enough and a good price. You can order one item off a small menu and there are buffet items as well. Everything was delicious!Special Features:
- Christmas Brunch was a missLynda417Dined on 12/25/2013We had a reservation at 10:00 for Christmas Day brunch. The website did not do a good job of explaining that until 11, it's only breakfast. We arrived late (they were accommodating about that) but the receptionist was less than helpful. We wanted to make sure they could seat us for acual brunch; and she was very confused about our question. We went round and round and ultimately decided to stay. They were put out when we asked to be seated just before 11 (after previosly offering this option). It would probably be OK for a regular day, and maybe I was spoiled from "Top of the Mark" at Thanksgiving, but I would not recommend it for a special occasion. I will say that Luis, our server was very nice and attentive.
- The soup was good.hungrymeDined on 12/24/2013Stay away from the prix fixe menu. The Sommelier is worth listening to when pairing wine with your food is important to your meal. He has a great palate for enhancing your food experience.Special Features:
- Great food, elegantly presented.MarkDined on 12/24/2013Great food, elegantly presented. Another wonderful prefix menu for Christmas.Special Features:
- Relaxed qualityHungerGamerDined on 12/24/2013The talent of the chef and cooking staff was evident in every dish. The combination of flavors left us wondering how they could combine so many flavors and textures with such a sublime result. If you are not familiar with Grappa, eating at Luce is like an introductory course to this unique and enticing beverage. And, finally, the service. When I go to a high-end restaurant I don't want to be treated as if the serving staff are my servants. Our waiter at Luce was a joy, down to earth, funny, engaging, attentive and clearly a professional. All of the servers were very pleasant making our dinning experience at Luce truly exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas Eve DinnerGoodBitesDined on 12/24/2013Spectacular yet reasonably priced holiday menu. Excellent wine pairing, well worth the extra cost. Knowledgeable and approachable sommelier. Service was friendly, informed, and efficient, as expected for a restaurant of this caliber. Will definitely return. Minor critiques: asked for a quiet table, but were seated next to the "bistro" section, outside of kitchen entrances, so a bit noisy for our senior diners; for holiday dinner at Michelin restaurant, expected a second more substantial amuse bouche, beyond the yummy but tiny parmesan chive madeleines, especially since we were asked twice about lobster allergies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brazilian FamilyBrazilianDined on 12/22/2013Very good attention, very good food and wine list. I recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weird Pretentious MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/22/2013Ordered the winter tasting menu of 3 items: green risotto topped by a soft-boiled egg and hazelnuts. Weird but interesting. A too-rare steak with chanterelle mushrooms came next, followed by the damnedest dessert I've ever had - olive oil panna cotta with winter citrus bits. The chef sent out a clot of broccoli salad (roughly about a tablespoon) as an amuse bouche, described as "broccoli three ways" - are you kidding me with this? My companion ordered a simple green salad with champagne vinaigrette (NOT on menu). The meticulous description of every course once it arrived was a little pretentious and a lot laughable. Very good olive bread, service attentive, but we spent a good hour of our visit here waiting. A Michelin star ... REALLY?!Special Features:
- Good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/21/2013Our server Joe was excellent. The food was outstanding - Even though we got the tasting menu (9 courses), we could have eaten more. The portions were fairly tiny.Special Features:
- We Were the Center of AttentionFerrisDined on 12/18/2013The staff at Luce made us feel like Super Stars. We were the center of attention. The food was wonderful. We had 7 in our party, having a business lunch and we were all impressed. Loved the bright sun chiming in the Windows, the friendly, professional staff. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Hot" spotwalkingdistanceVIPDined on 12/15/2013If coming here for lunch or brunch on a clear day, make sure you dress for very warm weather. The sun beating on the 20' windows, even though they have sheer coverings, makes for a very warm atmosphere. Air conditioning runs all year even on really nice cool days. Because of the busy streets it's on there is no option for opening windows for fresh air. Food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for a business dinnerlvu2dineoutDined on 12/12/2013I was there for a business dinner (table of 6). It was a Thursday night so the restaurant and bar were both really busy. Our server was super attentive and knowledgeable about the menu and the food was divine. I'll definitely be going back!Special Features:
- All foodies head to LUCEOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/7/2013Found Luce while browsing OpenTable. Very modern and trendy (I'm thinking West Hollywood/ Westside) but with the service you would expect from Intercontinental. Our server was pleasant and helpful, I believe his name was James (?) We shared the Sweetbread Ravioli, Salmon Confit, Roasted Lamb Loin and Breast of Chicken. I LOVED the Ravioli and Lamb, he LOVED the Salmon and Chicken. I don't normally like Salmon but it was quite tasty. Being in the luxury hospitality business myself, I have VERY high expectations for hotels and restaurants. I highly recommend Luce if you're in San Francisco and looking for an excellent culinary experience...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luce ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 12/5/2013this was a lovely place and chef obviously trying very hard to be creative but I (who consider myself experienced in the world of nouvelle cuisine) found the portions to be microscopic and very, very pricey. The appetizers were about two bites total and the entrees about 6 bites. Lots of teeny, tiny little sauce dots and miniature mushrooms, etc. (well, one of each actually) but very little substantial food. My friend who is a very light eater said it was very small and not worth the money. We each had an entree and one appetizer only, plus I had one glass of wine only, and she had none. The total bill for us was over $175 with tax and tip. Overpriced. I went home hungry and had to have a sizable snack a few hours later.Special Features:
- Delicious and fun!CcesarioDined on 11/30/2013I took my mom here for her 50th birthday. We did the chef's tasting menu. There were 10 dishes each with a wine pairing. Each dish was artfully constructed and light. The servers were very friendly and prompt. The only downer is that we had to pay $30 to park at the hotel. The chef tasting menu was great but if I were to do it over, Id just order the old fashioned way. There were some tasty looking things on the regular menu I feel I might have enjoyed more than getting a bunch of different things, a few of which I really liked. Definitely a fun restaurant. Business casual attire, be prepared to spend around $300+ on dinner and drinks for 2.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Little for Too MuchNickNameDined on 11/28/2013Thanksgiving Dinner Special Menu Tiny Portions - Not much flavor $72 per person + $25 for 2 oz of wine Was expecting something incredible, considering the reviews online.
- One of our best meals ever!BillDined on 11/28/2013The food and the wine pairings were outstanding. The atmosphere felt a bit sterile, but the service was very attentive and went the extra mile to answer our questions about the menu. Even the bus service was amazing! Head to toe, this is a great culinary experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not good for breakfastRRBsfDined on 11/19/2013We had a breakfast meeting there. 1) service was slow even if the restaurant is half empty (took 15 min after sitting Down before we got a waiter and then waited more for coffee 2) breakfast buffet was mediocre. None of the food was amazing.
- Not Michelin QualityGaryDined on 11/16/2013This is a Michelin rated restaurant with Michelin rated prices. With the exception of an asparagus appetizer, the meal was sub-par. The service was excellent but for 3 people with no wine at $260 - I expect more. I had steak, it was tough with little flavor. My daughter had lobster and it tasted old. My wife had steak and said it was good.
- Food was very good. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/16/2013Food was very good. Service was extremely slow. We sat at the table after finishing our meal for almost a half-hour before the waiter came to clear the table. We watched people come in, sit down, eat their meal and leave while we were waiting to get the table cleared and receive our check. I may try again because the food was so good.
- Excellent foodGloriaDined on 11/14/2013Food and presentation are excellent. Staff service is friendly and attentive. Location and decor probably I appealing to San Franciscans although it's worth a try for the quality of the food. A real find for Moscone Center participants.Special Features:
- Very goodNickm007VIPDined on 11/12/2013The service was impeccable, the location and setting were superb. The place was empty at lunch time, but food was pretty tasty, despite just having a soup and burger.Special Features:
- DelightfulRoxanneVIPDined on 11/6/2013Met a friend here for brunch and I have to say the food and service, impeccable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodRiribear1006Dined on 11/3/2013I booked Luce for my boyfriend's birthday celebration. We live in New York, but were in San Francisco for vacation and surprised to find a one Michelin star restaurant almost empty. Apparently, because the restaurant is in the Intercontinental Hotel, so most of it's diners were business travelers, and since there wasn't a conference during our visit, the restaurant is almost empty. This type of thing would not happen in New York. The food is exquisite in display and favor. The wait staff is super friendly. We thoroughly enjoyed our experience in Luce. We felt bad that such a wonderful restaurant is almost empty and would definitely recommend all the foodies to go and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisiteKatHrynVIPDined on 11/3/2013Took my mother out to lunch. She loved it. She had never been there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Lunch!SouthofSFVIPDined on 10/31/2013I had a business lunch here recently. Good Service and very good food, along with enough space between tables for "reasonable" privacy. The menu is a bit on the chic side for those who prefer hearty food, but 2 salads and 2 dishes were well executed and tasty. It is in the InterContinental, but don't hold the hotel setting against them.
- Great food and staffCamFlysureDined on 10/25/2013Fiance and I ordered the tasting menu, everything was fantastic! The staff was great too! You expect a certain level of awesomeness and they bring it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Conflicting experiencesOntheroad1234VIPDined on 10/24/2013The food was excellent. But the sommelier was rude and dismissive, and the waitress was overbooked and slow. The ambiance was like a Vegas hotel restaurant. In all, this didn't add up to a passable experience for the price.
- Highly outratedFrankVIPDined on 10/23/2013My wife and I visited Luce as it was conveniently located in our Hotel. The Concierge gave us high recommendations. We were very dissapointed. I made the observation to our waiter about their extremely limited menu (very few items) and of course priced accoring to their high number of Michelin stars. The waiter basically said "thank you for your comments, but we are Michelin 4/5 stars" implying my observation was "interesting". The food was good, the service fair. Limited options, high price. We are not going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A live caterpillar on saladCustomerDined on 10/22/2013I had lunch with my important clients at the restaurant. One of my clients' had a Chicken Club sandwich and on his plate, there was a live caterpillar squirming around the salad that came with the sandwich. Was incredibly surprised by this, yet, no one from the restaurant acknowledged it or addressed it. The waiter simply took the plate and bring it back with french fries – not even apologies.
- Simply Fantastic!wenifredVIPDined on 10/19/2013I just took my girlfriend there for dinner on Saturday to celebrate her 40th birthday. The food was perfect, the ambiance was amazing and our waitress was the best I've ever had. When they called to confirm the reservation they asked if it was a special occasion and I let them know about the birthday we were celebrating... Once we were seated they immediately brought over champagne on the house so we could toast the birthday. This restaurant was simply top notch and I would recommend it to anyone who asked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Now I know why Michelin liked it!MK7x7VIPDined on 10/11/2013I'm very skeptical to think of a spot inside of a chain hotel to be amazing. Maybe 4 star. But this definitely earns all 5. I met a colleague for lunch and it could not have been more impressively intimate and enjoyable. The staff are all attractively awesome and go out of their way to let you know they care only about their guests (not customers). They clearly have the Nordstrom model of service and it shows from the call they made to check on my food allergies the day before through the guy chasing after me with my doggie bag that I forgot on the table post check. Truly amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.