888 Howard Street
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lucewinerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4156166566x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:00am - 11:00am
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 6:00am-2:30pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef de Cuisine, Daniel Corey
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Happy hour at Bar 888 is here Sunday - Thursday 3:00pm - 5:30 pm.
During happy hour we are delighted to serve all our Snacks and Appetizers at a $2 reduction.
A word from Luce
Awarded a Michelin star five years consecutively, Luce features an urban setting that is modern and sophisticated, yet stunningly warm and inviting. The main dining room features floor-to-ceiling-windows adorned with sheer metallic gold curtains. Hand-blown Italian bubble-like lamps provide a flattering glow to the dark tropical wood accents and elegantly appointed tables. The globally inspired New American menu reflects the bounties from the surrounding farms of San Francisco and changes according to freshness and seasonality. Each dish is artistically created and highlights an inventive flair for marrying diverse flavors with natural organic ingredients into a gastronomic delight. An award-winning wine program offers a superb collection that inspires daring pairings at prices that encourage exploration. Wine Spectator Award of Excellence four years running.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Luce reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (44)special occasion (37)notable wine list (25)good for groups (23)romantic (22)great for lunch (14)great for brunch (9)neighborhood gem (9)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great Find for Moscone EventsCEOReviewerDined on 10/15/2014I was at Dreamforce and made a last-minute reservation here for a client meeting. It was super busy but I was seated fast, service was great, and the menu was very good as well. Really happy with the whole experience! I sent a note ahead of time along with my reservation this was an important client I am taking here and the server was very attentive and engaged with us. All great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!stanchenryDined on 10/11/2014Had the tasting menu with matching wines. Was absolutely perfect. Service was on point. Would recommend this place to everyone.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerprofeffDined on 10/10/2014We were very impressed with the staff and general manager at Luce. It was hard getting there due to the Obama San Francisco visit, but once we got there the staff treated us so special with complimentary champagne. There wasn't anything they would not do for us. THere were no green salads on the menu and they made one for us. My girlfriend has a french fry fettish and they brought those. It was a great and special place for my birthday dinner.Special Features:
- Deserves the Michelin Starmartinbrown2kDined on 10/8/2014I booked this restaurant because I wanted to treat my partner to a restaurant with a Michelin Star. I knew roughly what to expect having frequented award winning restaurants in the past. In truth it was so much better than I anticipated. Upon arrival we were asked if this was a special occasion, I explained it was my partners first time in San Francisco and her first time in such a restaurant and the waiting staff reacted to this to make the evening even more memorable. We decided to go for the taster menu with wine paring and the sommelier approached our table to asked what our preferences were and made a wine list accordingly. The service was amazing and the food was outstanding. If you decide to eat here, prepare to be blown awaySpecial Features:
- Worth begin a 1-star RestaurantPalmtenorDined on 10/5/2014Dishes are creative and delicious, service is also very good.Special Features:
- PretentiousdfarDined on 10/2/2014Foolish nonsense on the menu (biodynamic is one of the adjectives) and servile but unskilled workers make the place something of a joke. No euphemism or foreign hoity-toity word is left unused on the menu that includes elegant fare such as hamburgers. Not overpriced though.
- Great spot SouthOfMarketEntertainingClientsDined on 10/1/2014Great food and service, with a spacious layout. Far above average for a hotel lobby restaurantSpecial Features:
- Go if you want to kill timeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/30/2014Great location, food but terrible service for the $$$$ charged.Special Features:
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/30/2014We had a group of 11 people for a business lunch at Luce this week and I could not have been more pleased. The private dining room was fantastic, the food very interesting and delicious and the service was superior. I will certainly recommend and use this restaurant for business functions in the future.Special Features:
- Luce - High quality diningGirlPoweDined on 9/29/2014We attended Luce during the week of Oracle OpenWorld, so the noise level was very high to start. As the evening went on, the noise died down and the food was able to shine. The quality, taste, service and presentation were all top notch. The menu is very limited, so be sure to check it in advance. Overall excellent experience.Special Features:
- Not Worth the CostCatsPawDined on 9/27/2014The food at Luce was good, but lacking in imagination and love. We have had far better and more interesting food at half the cost. If you are a vegetarian, this is very noticeable- Luce allows you the choice of noting food restrictions and notes a vegetarian menu. However, the food was simply whatever the meat dishes were minus the meat or sauce - which equates to numerous dishes of steamed vegetables. I am afraid we will it eat here again or recommend it. It is definitely not worth a Michelin Star.Special Features:
- Luce is terrificRonRVIPDined on 9/25/2014Luce is terrific. Food, service and wine list are 5 star. Located in the Intercontinental Hotel in the SOMA district, it's perfectly positioned for easy access. Enjoy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luce is luxTopNotch10VIPDined on 9/21/2014Located in the beautiful Intercontinental Hotel in the SOMA district, this restaurant merits is Michelin star. The room is well designed with well spaced tables, floor to ceiling windows and hushed but convivial environment. Cocktails and well made and the wine list is substantial and has broad listing from around the world in a variety of price ranges. My St Joseph was superb at $70. Starters and mains are all exciting. I had an amberjack presentation which rates up there with the best I've had. My beef was prepared perfectly and pared with wonderful vegetables. A light panna cotta was just the right finish. I'd place this among the best restaurants in SF.Special Features:
- Foodies to die forOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/19/2014OMG, this restaurant is so amazing. I came here for dinner with my hubby and a girlfriend. Chef Daniel and his team are so amazing at what they do. You can tell that they love their jobs and to serve amazing food is like art for them. We had the chance to try almost everything on the menu with the wine pairing. The Pacific Amberjack was amazing, Risotto and the Monterey Abolone & Diver Scallop are a must try, and the Maine Lobster was my favorite. The mellon soda was so refreshing. Seriously, I almost die and went to heaven. I love everything about this restaurant and can't wait to come back here again and again!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great servicepreciouscatDined on 9/13/2014The reservation was for my wedding anniversary but I forgot to mention it during the bookings. So when we show up the hostess seeing us all dressed up, she asked if this is for something special, we told her about it. The restaurant was so kind to give us complimentary champagne! Our servers was very attentive to our needs. We had the summer tasting menu which was excellent! The amount of food was just perfect and the quality was exceptional!! Highly recommend anyone who like to have a nice dinner out.Special Features:
- Sweetbreads were just phenomenaldavidtherockDined on 9/12/2014The location is gorgeous, very nicely set up. The food was amazing, I had Sweetbread Ravioli with Crispy Sweetbreads and the Abalone. Both were perfectly prepared and exactly what I had hoped they would be. I hope to have the opportunity to eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMichelinstarDined on 9/8/2014Don't know how they got a Michelin star. Very poor service. Didn't feel like tipping but felt pressures to. Waiter seemed very careless. Weren't happy we didn't order more expensive wine!
- Good but not one-starVivianSVIPDined on 9/6/2014For a Michelin 1-star establishment, Luce fell short in both service and food. FOOD: The starter of abalone and scallop was good, and the "risotto" with green peas was excellent. The halibut, however, was very bland with far too little sauce. The waiter had to almost turn his little sauce jar upside down to get the sauce out, as if it had been leftover from a previous serving. The rib-eye was fine but ordinary. The desserts were ordinary. SERVICE: we waited over half an hour between clearing of starters and arrival of entrees. Someone had hot water and there was no refill until we asked. Crumbs were not cleared before dessert. It was not easy getting the attention of our server. One couple even got up with their bill to pay at the counter!
- Top way to spend last night in USAYogiBearDined on 9/5/2014Really loved the place. We were given the best seat in the house and enjoyed the tasting menu. My favourite dish was the risotto with crispy sweetbreads and truffleSpecial Features:
- Not recommendedMichaelVDined on 8/26/2014This was not the first time I had dined at Luce, but it certainly will be the last. The service was poor and inattentive, food from the menu was adequate but no more than that. Overall a very poor experience.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014The tasting menu food was ourtstanding. The flavors and seasoning were amazing and very well presented. I was suprised, however, that while it was mid-week, and our reservation was for 8 PM, there were a total of 7 people, counting myself and spouse in the entire dining space. The food, service and set up are some of the best in all of San Francisco so where is the crowd?? I would highly recommend this great restaurant to anyone looking for GREAT foodSpecial Features:
- Nice place for a special lunchMariVIPDined on 8/19/2014I felt Luce was the perfect place for a special lunch. It felt elegant, a nice airy restaurant with good food, reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tries hard with average resultsFoodjamesDined on 8/15/2014The food here was okay; based on my experience it did not live up to the single Michelin star. Nothing at the meal was memorable. The highlight would probably be the amuse busche or the bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!DpjalaVIPDined on 8/14/2014Elegant, tasty, balanced, and thoroughly planned, and all seasonal and fresh. Fantastic. Will save up and go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb meal!SFineDinerVIPDined on 8/9/2014Chef Daniel has an amazing gift that brings beautiful presentations layered with texture, complex, and complimentary flavors to every dish. The tasting menu is a delightful way to experience the breadth of his talents. Combined with a wine pairing this is our favorite special occasion destination in San Francisco. The tasting menu changes with the seasons and we look forward to each revision. The attentive and friendly staff make for a complete and amazing dining experience.Special Features:
- Luce - WeekendExplorerVIPDined on 8/9/2014We visited Luce mid week in late July. The service was outstanding. Unfortunately the weekend lunch staff wasn't as attentive and it left a very different impression. For example, placed the food order. They immediately brought the coffee out (lattes), it was barely room temperature and was cold by the time the food arrive. Asked for raw sugar only to be told that they didn't have any, when I mentioned I had this option just recently, they amazingly found some. Returning again at the end of the month for a weekend stay for a celebration, hoping to have a better experience.
- Great RestaurantJimCDined on 8/8/2014Went for 6 year wedding anniversary, the wine selection was exceptional. We both did the tasting menu..totally worth it. The amberjack fish course and lobster were our favorites. The food came out at a very nice pace not everything at one time. It's the little details that matter, from the time you were seated to the time you finished. The servers did not hover and were always there when you needed them. Definite will recommend to friends and family.Special Features:
- Foodies2000Dined on 8/6/2014The food is surprisingly good, the menu is not very big, so we ordered every dish from the menu except one appertizer lamb tartar, we were pleasantly surprised by all the food: the apperizers and the main dishes. The only thing we find uncomfortable is the restaurant setting, it is at the corner of Intercontinental Hotel, the ceiling is very high, and all the tables were empty, it gives a cold feeling, and kind of shabby enviornment, which does not go well with the quality of the food.Special Features:
- FWKING3443Dined on 8/5/2014The Waiter keep pushing us for the another bottle of Wine, selling the menu too hard, and the bill can with an extra charges which was my drink from the Hotel Bar ( which I ask can it be carry to the resturant and they said no, because they are seperate company ). My first dining at Luce was about 3 months ago the food was good and the service was good, but this time can't say the same.Special Features:
- LuceKatHrynVIPDined on 7/31/2014Awesome as always, enjoy having lunch with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingExplorerVIPDined on 7/29/2014Excellent food, incredible wine list and amazing grappa bar. Had a wonderful afternoon lunch with just enough attention but time to dine and enjoy the afternoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food, but poor service!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/15/2014My wife and I ordered tasting menus. We had to wait over 20 minutes after finishing current course before we got the next course. This wait interval was consistent across multiple courses. There were 2 other tables (which arrived much later than us) that also ordered the tasting menu. We had finished our first 2 courses before they arrived. However, for the remaining courses, we had to wait until those parties have caught up to us. As a result, we sat there for a long time waiting for our course. The staff was polite, but inattentive. We sat down for about 10 minutes before our waiter greeted us for the first time. Throughout the entire dinner, our waiter only asked about our meal once, while he frequently chatted with the next table.
- Outstanding Meal and Serviceluv2dineDined on 7/15/2014The tasting menu was excellent, but we didn't care for the sweetbreads. The sommelier was very helpful with the wine pairings, compared to the experience we had 2 years ago. I'm glad Luce has a new sommelier. The sommelier told us which wines were with the pairings. When we told him we didn't like oaky chardonnay, he made an excellent substitution. When we made it clear that we liked to talk about wine, he was happy to oblige and even do some research. Our waiter was excellent, very knowledgeable and paced things well. We definitely will return next year, when we visit San Francisco.Special Features:
- Delectable delightsAngelaSDined on 7/10/2014My husband brought me here for our one year anmiversary. The tasting menu was scrumptious. I was, however, surprised to find our Waitperson was not presenting each course to us directly. The one who did present most of the plates stumbled over a lot of the ingtedients. One gentleman poured the remainder of our bottle of Pellegrino in to my husband's glass and then left the empty bottle there. I found that odd. Other than the way service seemed impersonal, the food was wonderful and our waiterperson, Keith was fun while he was at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingEB59Dined on 7/10/2014Unfortunately my experience here was less than stellar. I chose Luce for an important client business lunch since it appeared to be a bit more upmarket and was conveniently located near the convention center. Despite the restaurant being less than half full, the service was frustratingly slow and inattentive (30 minutes just to get some beverages ordered) and the menu, considering the mediocre quality of the meal, was ridiculously overpriced ($29 for a small, dry piece of salmon sitting on a few chopped cherry tomatoes. I won't be returning.
- Luce for lunchfoodieVIPDined on 7/9/2014Very disappointing - for a restaurant of this caliber and price, the Chicken Club was ridiculous: single bun of not-so-good quality, a small green salad on the side, some neutral tasting pieces of grilled chicken with some avocado: dry, bland... just not what I was expecting.
- RCSailfish30Dined on 7/8/2014Excellent food and service experience with very impressive wine list. Server was very knowledgable with wine to food pairings as well.Special Features:
- So good!CK123Dined on 7/4/2014Checked out Luce over July 4th weekend and absolutely loved it! Loved the Chablis we ordered (one of the best), and every dish we ordered was great too! Service was very personal and the waiters were attentive. Would definitely go back to Luce!Special Features:
- DisappointingLondonlassieVIPDined on 6/25/2014This was the second time dining at Luce for me. The first time was for Sunday brunch and it was excellent : food and ambience, although the service was slow This time, a pre-theatre lunch was really quite disappointing: a mediocre chicken salad at $19.00! , VERY slow service, a server whom I could barely understand, and whose eye we could never catch, despite the fact My friend's club sandwich was OK . All together a wan experience!
- The following 984 reviews are from the Luce reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/21/2014Good ambience and food. The Amberjack with dashi stood out in the tasting menu. Thank you for accommodating us including a toddlerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.