888 Howard Street
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lucewinerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4156166566x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:00am - 11:00am
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 6:00am-2:30pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef de Cuisine, Daniel Corey
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Happy hour at Bar 888 is here Monday - Friday 4-8 pm. Cocktails and bar bites!
A word from Luce
Awarded a Michelin star five years consecutively, Luce features an urban setting that is modern and sophisticated, yet stunningly warm and inviting. The main dining room features floor-to-ceiling-windows adorned with sheer metallic gold curtains. Hand-blown Italian bubble-like lamps provide a flattering glow to the dark tropical wood accents and elegantly appointed tables. The globally inspired New American menu reflects the bounties from the surrounding farms of San Francisco and changes according to freshness and seasonality. Each dish is artistically created and highlights an inventive flair for marrying diverse flavors with natural organic ingredients into a gastronomic delight. An award-winning wine program, designed by Wine Steward John Wight offers a superb collection that inspires daring pairings at prices that encourage exploration. Wine Spectator Award of Excellence four years running.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Luce reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (44)special occasion (42)notable wine list (33)romantic (30)good for groups (15)great for lunch (14)great for brunch (8)neighborhood gem (7)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (4)hot spot (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014The tasting menu food was ourtstanding. The flavors and seasoning were amazing and very well presented. I was suprised, however, that while it was mid-week, and our reservation was for 8 PM, there were a total of 7 people, counting myself and spouse in the entire dining space. The food, service and set up are some of the best in all of San Francisco so where is the crowd?? I would highly recommend this great restaurant to anyone looking for GREAT foodSpecial Features:
- Nice place for a special lunchMariVIPDined on 8/19/2014I felt Luce was the perfect place for a special lunch. It felt elegant, a nice airy restaurant with good food, reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tries hard with average resultsFoodjamesDined on 8/15/2014The food here was okay; based on my experience it did not live up to the single Michelin star. Nothing at the meal was memorable. The highlight would probably be the amuse busche or the bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!DpjalaVIPDined on 8/14/2014Elegant, tasty, balanced, and thoroughly planned, and all seasonal and fresh. Fantastic. Will save up and go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb meal!SFineDinerVIPDined on 8/9/2014Chef Daniel has an amazing gift that brings beautiful presentations layered with texture, complex, and complimentary flavors to every dish. The tasting menu is a delightful way to experience the breadth of his talents. Combined with a wine pairing this is our favorite special occasion destination in San Francisco. The tasting menu changes with the seasons and we look forward to each revision. The attentive and friendly staff make for a complete and amazing dining experience.Special Features:
- Luce - WeekendExplorerVIPDined on 8/9/2014We visited Luce mid week in late July. The service was outstanding. Unfortunately the weekend lunch staff wasn't as attentive and it left a very different impression. For example, placed the food order. They immediately brought the coffee out (lattes), it was barely room temperature and was cold by the time the food arrive. Asked for raw sugar only to be told that they didn't have any, when I mentioned I had this option just recently, they amazingly found some. Returning again at the end of the month for a weekend stay for a celebration, hoping to have a better experience.
- Great RestaurantJimCDined on 8/8/2014Went for 6 year wedding anniversary, the wine selection was exceptional. We both did the tasting menu..totally worth it. The amberjack fish course and lobster were our favorites. The food came out at a very nice pace not everything at one time. It's the little details that matter, from the time you were seated to the time you finished. The servers did not hover and were always there when you needed them. Definite will recommend to friends and family.Special Features:
- Foodies2000Dined on 8/6/2014The food is surprisingly good, the menu is not very big, so we ordered every dish from the menu except one appertizer lamb tartar, we were pleasantly surprised by all the food: the apperizers and the main dishes. The only thing we find uncomfortable is the restaurant setting, it is at the corner of Intercontinental Hotel, the ceiling is very high, and all the tables were empty, it gives a cold feeling, and kind of shabby enviornment, which does not go well with the quality of the food.Special Features:
- FWKING3443Dined on 8/5/2014The Waiter keep pushing us for the another bottle of Wine, selling the menu too hard, and the bill can with an extra charges which was my drink from the Hotel Bar ( which I ask can it be carry to the resturant and they said no, because they are seperate company ). My first dining at Luce was about 3 months ago the food was good and the service was good, but this time can't say the same.Special Features:
- LuceKatHrynVIPDined on 7/31/2014Awesome as always, enjoy having lunch with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingExplorerVIPDined on 7/29/2014Excellent food, incredible wine list and amazing grappa bar. Had a wonderful afternoon lunch with just enough attention but time to dine and enjoy the afternoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food, but poor service!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/15/2014My wife and I ordered tasting menus. We had to wait over 20 minutes after finishing current course before we got the next course. This wait interval was consistent across multiple courses. There were 2 other tables (which arrived much later than us) that also ordered the tasting menu. We had finished our first 2 courses before they arrived. However, for the remaining courses, we had to wait until those parties have caught up to us. As a result, we sat there for a long time waiting for our course. The staff was polite, but inattentive. We sat down for about 10 minutes before our waiter greeted us for the first time. Throughout the entire dinner, our waiter only asked about our meal once, while he frequently chatted with the next table.
- Outstanding Meal and Serviceluv2dineDined on 7/15/2014The tasting menu was excellent, but we didn't care for the sweetbreads. The sommelier was very helpful with the wine pairings, compared to the experience we had 2 years ago. I'm glad Luce has a new sommelier. The sommelier told us which wines were with the pairings. When we told him we didn't like oaky chardonnay, he made an excellent substitution. When we made it clear that we liked to talk about wine, he was happy to oblige and even do some research. Our waiter was excellent, very knowledgeable and paced things well. We definitely will return next year, when we visit San Francisco.Special Features:
- Delectable delightsAngelaSDined on 7/10/2014My husband brought me here for our one year anmiversary. The tasting menu was scrumptious. I was, however, surprised to find our Waitperson was not presenting each course to us directly. The one who did present most of the plates stumbled over a lot of the ingtedients. One gentleman poured the remainder of our bottle of Pellegrino in to my husband's glass and then left the empty bottle there. I found that odd. Other than the way service seemed impersonal, the food was wonderful and our waiterperson, Keith was fun while he was at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingEB59Dined on 7/10/2014Unfortunately my experience here was less than stellar. I chose Luce for an important client business lunch since it appeared to be a bit more upmarket and was conveniently located near the convention center. Despite the restaurant being less than half full, the service was frustratingly slow and inattentive (30 minutes just to get some beverages ordered) and the menu, considering the mediocre quality of the meal, was ridiculously overpriced ($29 for a small, dry piece of salmon sitting on a few chopped cherry tomatoes. I won't be returning.
- Luce for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/2014Very disappointing - for a restaurant of this caliber and price, the Chicken Club was ridiculous: single bun of not-so-good quality, a small green salad on the side, some neutral tasting pieces of grilled chicken with some avocado: dry, bland... just not what I was expecting.
- RCSailfish30Dined on 7/8/2014Excellent food and service experience with very impressive wine list. Server was very knowledgable with wine to food pairings as well.Special Features:
- So good!CK123Dined on 7/4/2014Checked out Luce over July 4th weekend and absolutely loved it! Loved the Chablis we ordered (one of the best), and every dish we ordered was great too! Service was very personal and the waiters were attentive. Would definitely go back to Luce!Special Features:
- DisappointingLondonlassieVIPDined on 6/25/2014This was the second time dining at Luce for me. The first time was for Sunday brunch and it was excellent : food and ambience, although the service was slow This time, a pre-theatre lunch was really quite disappointing: a mediocre chicken salad at $19.00! , VERY slow service, a server whom I could barely understand, and whose eye we could never catch, despite the fact My friend's club sandwich was OK . All together a wan experience!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/21/2014Good ambience and food. The Amberjack with dashi stood out in the tasting menu. Thank you for accommodating us including a toddlerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingLeCinqVIPDined on 6/18/2014The food on the tasting menu was creative with the complex flavours we expected but none of them had anywhere near a wow factor for me. The Amberjack: supposedly marinaded in Yuzu was too warm, lacking the necessary tang; yhe lobster: overcooked and chewy; the lamb loin: not tender and overpowered by the black garlic; the Wagyu beef carpaccio: disappointing; the melon "soda" palate cleanser: underwhelming; the asparagus: the best dish. I usually only eat one bite of dessert but here I tried a few; my friend ending up eating all the Mascarpone tart. She had wanted to leave mid-meal when we were served bowls that were so dirty that they left black rings on the table-cloth; luckily our server graciously helped move us to a clean table.Special Features:
- not a star MichelinBotticiniDined on 6/16/2014One Michelin Stat,? does not worth, the service was terrible, lack of attention. There was a private party, and all staff was worried about it, and forgot us, but the food, not good, the bread was coll and only a bar of butter, after a pea cream, freeze, could you belive direct from the fridge The Maine Lobster without no spicies, no taste, and the worst, the breast of chicken, no taste too,with a smell , was washed? The Deserts on average, not special. avoid , expensive and does not worth
- Mediocre at bestdinkohVIPDined on 6/10/2014No worth going. Dine around town menu was insulting. Only one option... no thanks. The regular menu food was average at best. Presentation of the food was horrible. Meat was cold and rather tough. So many options in SF, you can do much better.
- Consistently pleasantFineDinerDined on 6/7/2014the food, service, and ambiance all have been consistently pleasant,Special Features:
- Good food, great serviceztluhcsDined on 6/6/2014Went to Luce for dine about town SF. I know it has a Michelin Star and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I really liked the food, it was quite good and the presentation was perfect. The dishes they chose were light and "springy" which was a nice touch. I recall enjoying the desert the most, though, and to be honest while the food was good, it didn't blow me away like a couple other high-end restaurants I've been to. The service was really spectacular. I can't recall the name of our server, but he made it worth the trip to Luce right there. He was attentive, knowledgeable about the menu and wine, and just an all around friendly. He even brought us a little grappa at end end of the meal as an introduction to the liquor!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/4/2014The appetizer were delicious, specially the salmon confit. But then, it went downhill from there. I ordered the duck which was dry, served with barely any vegetables. The dessert menu was unappealing.Special Features:
- First time, would come againjdsfVIPDined on 6/1/2014While it is expensive (appetizers 15-20, entrees 35-40, cocktails 12), the quality of the food was comparable to the courses on several of the tasting menus around town; the sweetbread ravioli appetizer was particularly memorable. The bar is also interesting, featuring a large selection of grappa and several grappa based cocktails. Service was attentive and friendly, though I was surprised that at this price point they did not offer bread multiple times, just at the beginning. Overall though, I was impressed and I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 5/31/2014Tasting menu with wine pairings - extremely underwhelmed. Not a Michelin Star quality restaurant - wine pairings were of poor quality - tops $15/glass category and considering that the tasting pour is lesser, very poor choices. One pour was a$10 beer! Nope did not work. The lobster course was a flop - undercooked lobster and it was at best 1/4th of a lobster. The lamb loin was strictly Ok - poor pairing of a chianti - no big California top name wines. Dessert was a joke - a small tart. Same wine glass used for Red, white and beer!We had informed the restaurant that we were staying at the hotel and celebrating our anniversary. We were treated to a table by the server station. Kindly asked to be moved. No acknowledgement of our celebration.
- Elegant flavors, questionable freshbizzymammaDined on 5/28/2014We went for lunch at Luce to celebrate a special occasion and were welcomed to the restaurant gracefully. We had the pick of table as the place was empty, which was nice becuase we had a sleeping baby in buggy.Service was good, a bit slow considering the empty restaurant but we weren't in a hurry. We ordered the prix fixe menus for lunch: beet/strawberry salad with goat cheese and honey, delicious yet small. Corn soup with toasted farro (?) creamy and exquisite. Then the main courses: halibut with fresh peas and turnips. The fish was not very fresh unfortunately, but lovely presentation. I couldn't eat the fish. The red wine braised short rib spaghettini was very flavorful, rich and balanced, not too salty which is often the case. Still $$$Special Features:
- FoodiesFoodiesDined on 5/21/2014This was a Gilt City lunch coupon and we were pleasantly surprised at the great service, delicious beet salad, halibut and dessert. The restaurant atmosphere was very comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for relaxing mealOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/13/2014As four Executive Assistants at a billion dollars company, we don't get to go out to lunch as a group very often. We were really excited to be able to have a team outing that would be nice for all of us. I can safely say the food was excellent. However the service, while great, seemed a little to laid back for the average person that needed to get back to work. I will be going again when I don't have to look at the clock.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodLuv2eatDined on 5/8/2014The dishes were well excuted, flavors balanced, nicely plated but portion quite small. Nice open bright dining room. Great for special occasion. Everything is good but just not aweSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excelent dinerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/5/2014It was an excelent diner. The sweetbread was fabulous and the lamb tartar was with subtile falvour I will really recommand this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- really terrible brunchcanadianfoodieDined on 5/3/2014can't believe it has one michelin star. the brunch was one of the worst meals i've had in the bay area. maybe dinner has a different chef, and that's how they got the one star. but stay far, far away from brunch.
- Underrated and uncrowdedabbondanzaVIPDined on 5/2/2014Given the excellent, creative food, the varied, interesting wine list and attentive service, we've always wondered why Luce doesn't get more attention. Definitely worth checking out. Reservations recommended as it does get crowded during conventions (though rarely a crowd at other times). Brunch is also good. Parking next door at 5th and Mission garage is easy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bought a Gilt City voucherFoodieVIPDined on 4/29/2014I bought a gilt city voucher and still ended up paying $40 which I thought was ridiculous. The short ribs mixed with the spaghetti was so overrated and tasted terrible. I will never dine here again. PlCe was overpriced and so not worth it.Special Features:
- dinnerlittlelulu0925Dined on 4/28/2014took a client here for dinner and business conversation. Everything was perfect, the food, the vino and down to the wait staff being sensitive to the fact that we were trying to work on some contracts it made the evening go smoothly.Special Features:
- Fantastic FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/27/2014Service and food were a cut above. We had a great anniversary experience at Luce.
- The following 965 reviews are from the Luce reviews archive.
- Picky eaters? A good brunchFoodieLizDined on 4/20/2014Overall the food was good, not spectacular. There was a very nice buffet and attentive chefs to explain the dishes. The bacon eaters in my party raved about the meat selection. I enjoyed the fruit and yogurt, but the pastries were mediocre. Wait staff was very attentive, they did live up to the expectation of stellar, subtle service. Room is beautiful. Very nice place for families with children; you can tell the staff love having kids around. My espresso was good, served sans lemon rind, but it's seldom served this way anywhere in this country. Maybe the Michelin folks don't visit for Easter Brunch. Because of their selection and ambiance we would do this again, yet I do hope they bring the caliber of the food up a notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GuestVIPDined on 4/18/2014Who could ask for anything more? The food was outstanding: innovative, perfectly presented and delicious. The wine service, and in fact all of the service was beautifully done and made us feel very much at home. During our stay in San Francisco, we ate at three other top restaurants and Luce was by far the best food and most enjoyable experience. Thank you to everyone at Luce for a memorable evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.