214 North Tryon Street
Charlotte, NC 28202Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.conterestaurantgroup.com/
- Phone: 7043449222
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Gabriele Grigolon
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Bring the flavors of Northern Italy to your home, office or special venue. Whether it’s a large hors d'oeuvres reception or an intimate multi-course dinner Luce can take care of it all. Pick-up or delivery is available, delivery fee varies upon location. For more information or to place an order call 704.344.9222 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Facilities: Luce would like to personally customize your special and private events. We can comfortably accommodate eighty for a seated dinner and over one hundred for a cocktail and hors d’oeuvres event. We also have a seasonal patio that can seat up to forty for dinner guests and is the perfect venue for a summer evening cocktail reception. Luce is available for private parties, rehearsal dinners, receptions, showers and all of your special event needs. Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions and we look forward to hosting your events.
- Private Party Contact: Manual Camprese 7043449222
- Special Events: Ask us about our monthly Italian wine dinners and special holiday events.
- Cross Street: North Tryon & 5th
- Public Transit: You can use the LYNX Light Rail Blue Line and get off on the CTC/Arena station and walk towards 5th street. Walk west on 5th, one block, to the Hearst Tower located on the corner of 5th and College. Luce in located on the Tryon level of the Hearst Tower in the courtyard.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Luce patrons can park in the Hearst Tower parking deck. Entrances are located on 5th and 6th streets in between College & Tryon. We offer two hours free parking validation M-F before 5pm, after 5pm; on weekends parking is free with Luce validation.
A word from Luce Ristorante
The setting at Luce is romantic. The Murano Lights, Venetian Plaster and Travertine floors create an exclusive dining ambiance. Luce means “Light” in Italian and the restaurant clearly “glows” Luce provides an ideal dining experience whether you stop in for a quick lunch or settling in for a full course dinner and fine selection of extensive wines from Italy. Luce offers fresh, authentic Italian cuisine rich in flavor and passion inspired by our Italian chef, Gabriele Grigolon. The attentive and knowledgeable staff always provides impeccable service allowing you to sit back and enjoy your dining experience. Conveniently located in the Hearst Tower Plaza in the business district of Charlotte’s Center City. Luce opened in 2002 and has achieved outstanding accolades. Helen Schwabb, Charlotte Observer Food Critic, gave Luce an “Excellent” rating. ZAGAT has given Luce an “Extraordinary” rating from 2004-2010.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Luce Ristorante - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
Luce Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (84)romantic (78)fit for foodies (63)notable wine list (49)great for outdoor dining (29)good for groups (29)neighborhood gem (21)great for lunch (17)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (3)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Consistently Outstanding ExperienceLindseyEatsDined on 9/27/2014Whenever in the area, and anytime I can make an excuse, dining at Luce becomes the highlight of a trip to Charlotte. Tucked away off a main street, one quickly forgets one is in a major metropolitan area. It is like being welcomed home after a long journey. The staff is friendly, cordial, and attentive without being obtrusive. The menu is amazing. I have lost count of the number of my visits to Luce, but I have never sampled a bite that was anything but fantastic. The perfect ambiance for a special occasion or celebration, you would feel just as special on a random weeknight. The short of it: if you love great Italian food - just visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerM3147Dined on 9/24/2014First time visit to Luce. Looking for something special for my wife's birthday celebration and this turned out to be a great choice. Had the seafood pasta dish. Wonderful presentation. Delicious. Great selection of wines, including two of my favorites. I look forward to a return visit.Special Features:
- A little flexibility needed.dpd0843Dined on 9/23/2014Service was good and attentive. Food we selected was good. The carbonara could have used some more "sauce". Our guest had some special requests as she had some issues with the sauces provided. Our server basically said the chef would not entertain any special requests and the menu was fixed and no variations allowed. I thought some flexibility would have gone a long way.Special Features:
- Service and Food - Impeccable!UnimpressedVIPDined on 9/22/2014Luce's goes above and beyond every time I dine there whether with a small group or a large group. They are so accommodating and even remain open and staffed beyond normal business hours to service groups after local events. They are just excellent.Special Features:
- Luce Has it All!LoversofElegantDiningDined on 9/20/2014As always, our dining experience was outstanding which is why Luce is our favorite restaurant in the Charlotte area. Attentive but not overbearing service; delicious food with a delightful presentation; quiet, romantic atmosphere; all these things keep us coming back. We brought family to celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary this time and they thoroughly enjoyed it! Thank you for providing such a wonderful European style restaurant! Elegant is the word for Luce! We constantly recommend you to friends and family. Now that the symphony season has begun we'll be back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing eveningYomyomyomDined on 9/19/2014My wife and I had an anniversary dinner here. The service was spot on (always there when we needed them, invisible when we didn't need them). Food was wonderful and paired expertly with wine by the help of our server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/19/2014Far and away the best Italian restaurant experience in Charlotte. Even better than their sister restaurant Toscano's. Fabio takes care of you as if you were family.Special Features:
- Great birthday dinner here!AliBDined on 9/18/2014Loved it!!! Great server and delicious food. Lee were given a glass of champagne and free dessert for my bday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stepping into the country itself.Foodie13Dined on 9/8/2014You are greeted warmly with English easily punctuated as a second language but it makes you feel like you have traveled somewhere. Our server who held himself as a maitre d was paced by European standards and refined to a five star etiquette. The pace was at some points almost too slow yet at other times there was an ever watchful eye on the table to move dishes for the next course. The water and bread person spoke not a single word of English, which gave us zero explanation of the interesting pallet cleansers she put down. We were definitely not able to ask for our waiter through her. But the food!.. was worth taking a journey for. It was beyond exceptional, it was practically perfect. The whole venue truly transports you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressive Service and FoodGimblet3Dined on 9/6/2014Complete satisfaction. Overall great atmosphere with a professional staff that you don't find in most restaurants. The food was amazing. I can think of no way to improve our experience. Very satisfied and highly recommend for a romantic night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love this place!CLTnewbieDined on 9/5/2014Second time and it is still one of my favorite restaurants. Amazing service and fantastic food. Everything was yummy except for the fish of the day, it was good, just a little bland. Other than that, awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding DinnerKensFavoritesDined on 8/30/2014I ordered Polo Chicken, my date ordered Salmon. Both meals were outstanding and we had a great time. The service was excellent and the location was perfectly located for the theater performance a short walk away that we attended after dinner. This was a first date, and this place was a perfect pick...getting there earlier in the evening, we had a quiet table, perfect for conversation. -Ken K.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tiramisu is a MUSTdalydoseVIPDined on 8/23/2014My boyfriend and I dined at Luce on a Saturday night to celebrate his birthday. We absolutely loved the Polipo (grilled octopus) appetizer! I ordered one of the pasta dishes with imported gluten-free pasta and thoroughly enjoyed it. Our waiter was extremely knowledgeable about the menu and was able to provide wine pairing recommendations for each of our dishes as well. We finished the evening with some of the tiramisu, on the house because it was my boyfriend's birthday! The little bit that I had was the BEST tiramisu I have ever had, and the coffee and espresso we had to accompany it was absolutely divine. We decided that if we are ever uptown and craving dessert Luce will be our go-to place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerkfarahDined on 8/23/2014We loved Luce's with some of the best food and service we have had. Every detail was taken into consideration. Champagne toast upon arrival for our special day and complimentary dessert to complete a wonderful meal. Authentic as the Italian food we had in Italy. Best Mozzarella ever! Palipo beyond description! Staff was ready to meet every need. Loved this restaurant and our only regret is that it is not in Jacksonville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful placeburrob31Dined on 8/23/2014Finding the restaurant was interesting, glad we left early. Had to call and get directions then all was well. All staff were very attentive and very knowledgeable of the food. we had a great a dinner and fun time, would go back for such good food.Special Features:
- Delicious meal!loveitalianfoodDined on 8/22/2014My husband and I wanted to go out for a nice, inexpensive dinner for our 15th wedding anniversary. We succeeded doing to at Luce. The service was very good and the food was wonderful! We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingEat2liveDined on 8/15/2014We had a group of 8 and we were all impressed with the service. Our meals were delish!! I am still dreaming about the mozzerella in the caprese salad. Reminds me of what I was eating in Tuscany!! Will def be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionsJudyragsVIPDined on 8/11/2014My husband turn 65 and wanted to celebrate, just the two of us. I normally take to my favorite restaurants, But he had mention he liked the food and ambience. We had a wonderful , attentive and beautiful atmosphere. Will return very soon.Special Features:
- Buon appetito!veteranfoodieDined on 8/7/201411 of us celebrated a birthday, and from the warm welcome to the sweet farewell, it was a delightful, elegant evening. Service is professional and attentive without hovering. Menu is limited, which is good. Luce has perfected their signature dishes, and enhances their menu with daily specials. Birthday dessert was a spectacular array of special desserts, a tasting bonanza with a couple of candles, presented with aplomb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charlotte First TimerOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/4/2014On my first night in Charlotte, after many many years, I chose to eat at Luce. I was not disappointed. Although it was after 9pm on a Monday evening, and there was only one other table that was finishing as we started, our experience could NOT have been better. The place is beautiful, the maitre d had read and responded to my requests for a banquette, and the service was OUTSTANDING---very attentive without being intrusive. We were never rushed and everyone was extremely gracious without being the least bit intrusive. BRAVO!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014I have been looking for an excellent Italian restaurant since I have moved down here from NY over 17 years ago. Thank you Luce for finally meeting my taste bud needs. The food is absolutely fantastic and so fresh. I have been twice and both times Luce has never left me out.Special Features:
- amazingiker18Dined on 8/1/2014I love the food there it's amazing! I recommend it so much!.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale, Creative ItalianHunter08Dined on 7/31/2014Not sure which was better, the food or the waiter...both were excellent! The snapper was cooked to perfection, and the oasta fagioli was the best I've ever had.Special Features:
- AwesomLeanneDined on 7/31/2014Always consistently good. It had been awhile since we had been here,and we were not disappointed. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot but off nightkandoDined on 7/27/2014Great wine and setting but food was a bit underwhelming this night. would try again though as the service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bravo!JerseyGirl08730Dined on 7/27/2014A wonderful experience. The service was outstanding (knowledgeable, considerate, timely, unobtrusive). The atmosphere is lovely, high ceilings, tables spaced comfortably apart, perfect lighting, nominal noise. Our party of 3 had a fish, lamb, and a pasta/shrimp dish, all were delicious. Our waiter helped select a nice lower priced bottle of wine for us bringing both a red and white for us to make the selection. We choose the white, so he suggested a glass of red for the lamb dish, and even brought over a sample. This will be a destination for all our trips to Charlotte.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traditional Italian mealVirgiegirlDined on 7/27/2014We were visiting for out of town. Luce was recommended by a friend who lives in Charlotte. Luce is a very nice, traditional Italian restaurant. Half of our party had the $30 tasting menu as part of the Charlotte Restaurant week, the others ordered off the regular menu. All the food was really good. The bean/olive oil dip was excellent (free). Nice selection of bread/breadsticks were great. Only issue, which was handled very well, our second bottle of wine (same vintage/wine as the first) tasted funny. They immediately removed the bottle and suggested another wine which was great. I would return for a special occasion meal. Great food, attentive servers and the owner/manager even checked in on us a few times.Special Features:
- Fit for a king!BossrodDined on 7/27/2014Outstanding wait staff, working hard to make dining an excellent experience. Great value for price. Entrees very well presented and delicious. Italian atmosphere from decor, back ground music and wait staff. Pasta top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREATLUCETODIE4Dined on 7/26/2014I love LUCE' Try their pasta, it is to die for!_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/26/2014Everything about this place is authentic. Even the prevalence of Italian being spoken by the waitstaff. Carefully and thoughtfully crafted dishes that are as nice to look as as they are to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing - Fresh - ConsistentJandJDined on 7/25/2014Our Favorite place. We probably had dinner more than 15 times in the past 5 years. Great job on consistency. Every single time, it was perfect: Food, fresh ingredients, menu, impeccable service. Good wine list too. This is the best ever Italian restaurant we have been. Thumbs up Luce's team!Special Features:
- Great dinner with friendsdgdinerDined on 7/23/2014We took advantage of Restaurant Week to dine at Luce and had a wonderful meal with friends. Their special menu had a wide range of choices and everything we chose was delicious. Manuel makes the dining experience one to remember. He has the perfect touch with all of the patrons! Looking forward to our next visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FoodyogieatscharlotteDined on 7/23/2014We went for my mother's birthday and restaurant week. I got the ragu and it was AMAZING. And I am Italian so I am not easily impressed. Everything was incredible and the service was just lovelySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant Week MealopentablevipVIPDined on 7/22/2014We had dined at Luce previously, before shows at the performing arts center, but we decided to go on a Tuesday night due to the value of the Charlotte Restaurant Week menu. The restaurant was completely full, not one open table. For this reason, the service was slightly less attentive than it has been in the past, but the service was still good and the food was excellent, as always. We were impressed by the quality of the food, given the volume that was being produced. Luce is a place to enjoy a nice meal and conversation. I have seen other reviews commenting on the slow pace of the service, but it seems people don't understand the point of a restaurant like Luce. It is not a place to gobble your food in five minutes. Relax! Enjoy!Special Features:
- a royal "Queensfeast"EMaNMDined on 7/21/2014We arrived about 15 minutes early, trying to beat the imminent rainshowers and were pleasantly greeted and sat upon arrival; we didn't have to wait for our reservation. As fresh bread and white beans with olive oil were delivered, the menus were explained. We ordered wine and our 3 courses and enjoyed the elegant, but comfortable setting. I had salad, perfectly sized and fresh, followed by spaghetti nero. It was a generous portion of pasta with tomatoes and garlic, tossed with scallops, lobster and mussels. The dessert was a dark chocolate mousse with espresso. The courses were delicious and left me perfectly satisfied! All of the wait staff were pleasant and attentive. I WILL definitely be back! A perfect place for a romantic dinner out.Special Features:
- KfiginCLTDined on 7/20/2014I love this restaurant. It is consistently good and, in Charlotte, it's difficult to find restaurants which prepare food so nicely.Special Features:
- BestMeaeverVIPDined on 7/20/2014Outstanding in all categories!! I always enjoy my meal at Luce. It is the spot in charlotte my family always chooses. Thanks for another great night out.Special Features:
- Great food, great servicepthroweDined on 7/20/2014We went to Luce for the first time during Queen's Feast. Can't believe we haven't tried them before - the good was wonderful and the service outstanding. Great ambiance too, very romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luce Dinner at the BarOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/20/2014I went in for restaurant week, it was my first time at Luce and I loved it. I moved from the Northeast and am a harsh critic of Italian restaurants since we have an over supply up North. Luce is my favorite in the city and a great experience as well. Sarah took great care of me at the bar and every course was great. I would definitely go there if I am uptown before a show or entertaining out of towners. I will definitely be back to explore more of the menu.Special Features:
- Mixed ExperiencejplbridgeDined on 7/20/2014Considering it was Charlotte Restaurant Week, we had relatives in from out-of-town and invited them to join us at Luce, where we have dined previously on a few occasions and enjoyed it very much. This time, while the food was well-prepared and very flavorful, the entree portion sizes were reduced *significantly* - I suppose, to account for the $30 prix fixe. However, the special menu was weighted towards seafood, and my wife instead ordered directly from the menu. She had same type of three-course meal - app, standard-sized entree, and dessert - and it was marginally over $30.00. So the three of us who ordered from the Queen's Feast menu felt a little disappointed.Special Features: