Lucca North End
226 Hanover St.
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Lucca North End
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.luccaboston.com/
- Phone: (617) 742-9200
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm; Bar Menu: Daily: 5:00pm - 12:15am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Patrick Duffy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have four private rooms that can accommodate anywhere from ten up to one hundred guests. Email us or call us directly for additional information and availability
- Private Party Contact: Tania vonMagnus 6177429200
- Entertainment: Yes
A word from Lucca North End
Lucca has become one of the most talked about restaurants in Boston. Zagat survey names them, 'Best New Italian Restaurant' and they won a coveted Best of Boston award for their elegant and lively bar. Whether you join them for a relaxing dining experience or a little later for cocktails and to sample their late night menu, you will be won over by Lucca's elegant charm and warm ambiance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lucca North End reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (64)special occasion (57)neighborhood gem (53)romantic (52)notable wine list (46)good for groups (34)hot spot (28)vibrant bar scene (16)scenic view (14)late-night find (10)great for outdoor dining (8)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Outstanding! (I go to restaurants for the food!)mhansenDined on 11/24/2014We were celebrating a special occasion with 5 people in our party. I was worried about parking but the valet option was on both sides of Hanover Street and easy to use - $20 to use, not outrageous for Boston. We ordered 3 appetizer and 4 different entrees (2 people ordered the same thing) and each was better than the next. Lobster/pasta dish, scallops, steak and duck/pasta were all unique, perfectly presented with a portion that was not too large or too small. Service was excellent. I highly recommend this North End restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not what you would expect in the north endOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014My boyfriend and I decided to do our date night here last minute so booked a reservation on open table. When we arrived in Boston trying to find parking was brutal. They have a valet service a couple doors up that we ended up using and for $20 the whole night that was good deal not stressing with finding a spot. The food was very good and we loved the waiter. The only thing is that we wished there was more food on the menu that actually referenced food from the north end. My boyfriend wanted a classic italian dish and thinking this place would have something along the lines we tried it. I am a foodie and love restaurants with a twist and this is what this restaurant had. My boyfriend on the other hand who is simple, didn't like it that much. For an appetizer we just had the italian olives with rosemary and citrus. Those paired with their bread was delicious. when we received our entrees, the steak he had was not tender when he cut it but to me was very flavorful paired up with the sauces and veggies on the plate. I had something that was similar to mac n cheese that had procuitto and broccoli in it. Mine was very good but also very filling. Our waiter we had was awesome and was always on top of it. We never had empty glasses and always checked up on us for anything else. Overall i was not disappointed with with anything. I think if you are use to unique restaurants and have a broad food pallet, then i would try it, but if you want classic italian food that gives huge portions then i would try another restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucca LosesLisaRlovesfoodDined on 11/22/2014Went online to find the best Italian restaurants in North End & Lucca rated high for their food but wine & dessert were the clinchers. We ordered a variety of pastas and none were over the top excellent. The pasta sauce was a bit watery in 1 dish with sausage, the pasta with smoked ham was very salty & the bolognese left our palettes dulled, not enough seasoning throughout & the consistency not so great. To top it off our waitress was uninterested, offered no specials until we asked & never offered dessert, just brought our bill, so we left. We had much greater expectations & left discouraged, review didn't represent well.
- North End runs on LuccasOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014My trip to Luccas was nothing i have experienced before. From the greetings at the door, to the waiter, to the elegant scenery, and delicious food I was never not satisfied. Every aspect of Luccas made me feel like a regular and want to go back again and again. I would reccomend Luccas to almost everyone one or my friends an relatives. Luccas will always be a first choice when I am in the north end and i cant wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014The food was bland. Options good but food did not have enough flavor. I will not be going back.
- Lucca is always great!LilPVIPDined on 11/18/2014I lived in the North End for 5 years and knew every restaurant, Lucva continues to be one of the best in the neighborhood. It is a bit more fancy than some of the Italian restaurants so good for work dinners as well. I would highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, really loud.LoriDined on 11/15/2014We had a great dinner her on a Saturday night. I will say that it was packed and loud, but again, it was on a Saturday night. Food and service were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucca: restaurant of last resortOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Lucca is unpleasantly loud. The food is bland and incredibly overpriced. No need to return.
- Simply amazingMattmanVIPDined on 11/14/2014Phenomenal meal. Outstanding service. The short ribs were incredible. This restaurant is a must visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tremendous place, best Italian food in Boston.AudimurphDined on 11/13/2014Food, staff and ambiance, best in Boston. Every trip to Boston, Lucca North End is a must stop by for a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationfoodlvrVIPDined on 11/9/2014Based on Boston Magazine and Lucca's web site I made Lucca the restaurant choice for my daughter's 23rd birthday. We were a party of 5 and all of us were more than pleased with our appetizers and entrees. There was an extensive Italian wine list. We enjoyed a bottle off white and a bottle of Procecco. A most enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avarage - not moreCriticmeDined on 11/8/2014Slightly above avarage prices for a slightly below avarage food/test. Was expecting more for a $30 dish!Special Features:
- Visitors from South CarolinaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014We were in Boston for a few days and had to visit the North End. We went on a Saturday night, the place was packed. Because we used Open Table, we were able to get a reservation in prime time. Staff was very nice and we felt very welcome. The only issue was that the food was just not spectacular. My cod was overdone and my wife's lobster arrabiatta was not very exciting (limp pasta with a sauce that was pretty basic. There are so many restaurants in the small area, that we would probably try somewhere else next time we visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two thumbs up for Lucca !Dadouss4everDined on 11/8/2014Tasty Italian food with style ! A must each time we are in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMrFoodieDined on 11/4/2014Expected a lot more for an Italian Restaurant in the North End, gnocchi with "confit duck" had me so excited until the moment I tasted it, ....food there needs LOVE period.
- Great spot, small portion sizeAmandaLeighDined on 11/1/2014Great spot, small portion size - had a nice table by the window by my request, and a free dessert! Nice touch.Special Features:
- Lucca's was Perfect italian Dining!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014What a great dining experience in the North End! Service was impeccable, food was outstanding and it was as fun an environment for a catch up with an old friend as it would be for a romantic evening.Special Features:
- FoodnomadDined on 10/24/2014Great food, befitting ambience the only grievance would be that that bearer was constantly interrupting our conversation in the name of "checking on food / service" which was annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunately Just routinePianoProDined on 10/21/2014On a street full of choices for Italian food, I probably could have done better. The choice was made by looking at reviews and ignoring the poor ones for Lucca. The service was fine, but the restaurant noisy and busy. The mussels were cooked well, but the sauce lacked any zing. The Cesar Salad was fine. The rigatoni with meat sauce was fine--but the baked shells were overbaked and dry. The salmon was overdone. The prices were medium to high.
- Great experience.FBECVIPDined on 10/18/2014Not amazing but I'd go again. Solid all around. Calamari appetizer was very good. Bolo genes rigatoni was best dish we had at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!ExcellentVIPDined on 10/16/2014Exactly as we hoped for. We are tourists but the owner treated us as locals---food-service and ambiance everything you would want in a great North End restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland, loud, serviceableOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/11/2014Seemed to have found a tiny spot almost in mid-aisle to wedge in our table, with the result that we were bumped numerous times by waiters. Service was just serviceable. Noise level was extreme, so loud we had to almost yell across our 3-person table to be heard. The food was okay, somewhat bland, with a very tomato-y lobster pasta sauce that overwhelmed other flavors. Cod was cooked to a nice flakiness but had almost no flavor. Definitely not worth the price. Overall, would not return.
- Fabulous4kidsphewDined on 10/11/2014This is the 3rd time that I have eaten at Lucca Restaurant since the beginning of summer. Every meal has been better than the last. Service is impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedfoodiegrrrlDined on 10/9/2014One of the hostesses was super rude. Waiter was slow, rude and inept. Food wasn't good - there were four of us and none had a dish we were impressed with. Wouldn't recommend this place or go back.
- What a find!TheCoatesDined on 10/9/2014We made reservations online, received a reminder via email, and had a table when we got there...in front of the open air windows facing the street. Waitstaff was perfect (I waitressed for 22 years...I know what is good and what is great!). The food was fresh and the pasta cooked to perfection. We will go back the next chance we get. Wonderful experience!Special Features:
- might try againnorthendlovaDined on 9/28/2014We went to Lucca with another couple. We ate early on a Sunday night and they seated us right at the floor-to-ceiling open window which was great. The waiter had absolutely no warmth and while he brought the two requested glasses of wine he forgot the one soda. I was encouraged by the waiter to get the halibut (one of the pricier items on the menu) but it was dry and just "ok." Everyone else seemed to enjoy their meals; a gluten-free lobster dish, the scallops, and the creamy orrechiette. I tried a bite of the scallops which were divine. the calamari appetizer was served with squid ink gnocchi which, unfortunately for appearance-sake, looked like black meal worms. Will probably go again but get the scallops, some wine and people watch.
- food and service was outstanding.tvigsDined on 9/27/2014the calamari was superb and the pasta dishes different but tasty.service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service, Good FoodJessicaDined on 9/27/2014My experience at Lucca was not a good one. Before going to an event I allowed 1.5hrs to eat dinner at Lucca before an evening event. It took almost 40 minutes to get our wine, appetizer, and bread basket and then we had to scarf down our $30 entrees in the last 5 minutes of the meal to make our next event. The waiter took my wine glass away without asking if I'd like a second glass and did the same with my friend, but she wasn't event done with her wine. The food was delicious, but I was sad to eat my $120 meal in a matter of minutes.Special Features:
- Warm wine and average foodTravelerDined on 9/24/2014Went based on Wine Spectator review and the wine list is great. Ordered two magnums of red wine that were served warm, which was too bad. The food was pretty average to below average. Service was prompt and the ambiance was great.Special Features:
- Mailing it inlaxdinerDined on 9/23/2014Unfortunately, Lucca, like so many restaurants in the North End, is just not focused on quality food and service. Admittedly, the service was so bad that the food might not have been too bad but it was brought to the table cold and in one diners case late. That one meal was comped but for a business dinner that is not the issue. 5 diners are trying to be polite and not eat while we wait on one person's food for 15 minutes. Night started on the wrong foot when the waiter couldn't understand how to take an order for grey goose up. I received an absolutely filthy dirty martini that was not consumable. Location is great but please realize these restaurants are their to churn tables to get more tourists through the door.
- Consistently greatdipiedDined on 9/18/2014I always have an amazing meal and a great time here. Service is top notch and the menu is always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE IT!!CabinFeverDined on 9/13/2014One of the best Italian restaurants in the North End. A must try!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chat, drink and eat!Greenegirl53Dined on 9/12/2014My friend and I meet for drinks and dinner to catch up every other month. Lucca is one of our favorite spots to do it. Good selection of wine, appetizers and entrees. We sat at the bar and the service great. Check your credit card when you get home though. Somehow she was charged twice! The calamari was delish as was the chicken entree. It was easy for us to chat with each other's and those around us. I enjoy the bar scene at Lucca! Will be back soon!!!Special Features:
- Best steak I've ever eaten!Stephleone24Dined on 9/12/2014Most amazing steak, vegetables, duck, and pasta of my life! Was so full I couldn't try dessert but it looked great!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than expectedgoldenrenDined on 9/11/2014After two different taxi drivers recommended this place, and finding reviews raving about it, my wife and I were somewhat disappointed. The food was good but not great, and not worth raving about. My appetizer, duck confit in a crust, was very very good, but my main course, lobster in pasta, was not. The lobster was not fresh, or else previously frozen, and the sauce was gooey. My wife's oysters were fine, and she devoured her veal chop with tuna oil and capers. The bread was served with something that looked and tasted like green putty. With all the great North End restaurants, we would probably not go back.Special Features:
- High End in the North EndAPCGVIPDined on 9/5/2014Reserved a table at Lucca for my husband's birthday...Our cab driver got lost finding us, so we were running a few minutes late. Called to let them know, and they were very gracious--told us they'd have a nice table waiting for us, and thanked us for letting them know. We arrived and true to their word, our table was waiting. Service was very attentive, if stuffy. Dinner itself was excellent--My husband had the verdura salad and the salmon for dinner. I had the Caesar salad and the filet for dinner. We were pleased to find our favorite wine on the menu. I was disappointed that no one read the special note on my reservation that asked for a piece of tiramisu with a candle in it to be charged to and sent the to table, as that didn't happen.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014Halibut was the best we have ever had. Calamari was fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite placeFanofLuccaDined on 8/30/2014Lucca is one of our favorite restaurants. My husband and I shared our first date there, got engaged there, and have been back a few times in between. It is an intimate setting perfect for a special night or just dinner out. Food is outstanding. A plentiful basket of bread is brought to the table. Appetizers or sides are shareable. Entree size is just right. Youre not leaving there hungry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North End GemBabsDined on 8/30/2014I have dined at Lucca's on several occasions, and it never disappoints. Had a delicious caesar salad and seared scallops. Others had pasta dishes, including Pasta Bolognese, which they said was very good. It can sometimes be loud if there are large family groups, which didn't bother me, but some diners might prefer to dine later to avoid big family groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lostmama89VIPDined on 8/29/2014The lobster pasta and the tiramisu were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.