Lucca North End
226 Hanover St.
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Lucca North End
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.luccaboston.com/
- Phone: 6177429200
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm; Bar Menu: Daily: 5:00pm - 12:15am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Patrick Duffy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have four private rooms that can accommodate anywhere from ten up to one hundred guests. Email us or call us directly for additional information and availability
- Private Party Contact: Tania vonMagnus 6177429200
- Entertainment: Yes
A word from Lucca North End
Lucca has become one of the most talked about restaurants in Boston. Zagat survey names them, 'Best New Italian Restaurant' and they won a coveted Best of Boston award for their elegant and lively bar. Whether you join them for a relaxing dining experience or a little later for cocktails and to sample their late night menu, you will be won over by Lucca's elegant charm and warm ambiance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lucca North End reviews from OpenTable diners
118 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (50)fit for foodies (49)romantic (46)neighborhood gem (46)notable wine list (37)good for groups (24)hot spot (16)scenic view (13)vibrant bar scene (11)great for outdoor dining (7)late-night find (6)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great experience.FBECDined on 10/18/2014Not amazing but I'd go again. Solid all around. Calamari appetizer was very good. Bolo genes rigatoni was best dish we had at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!ExcellentDined on 10/16/2014Exactly as we hoped for. We are tourists but the owner treated us as locals---food-service and ambiance everything you would want in a great North End restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland, loud, serviceableOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/11/2014Seemed to have found a tiny spot almost in mid-aisle to wedge in our table, with the result that we were bumped numerous times by waiters. Service was just serviceable. Noise level was extreme, so loud we had to almost yell across our 3-person table to be heard. The food was okay, somewhat bland, with a very tomato-y lobster pasta sauce that overwhelmed other flavors. Cod was cooked to a nice flakiness but had almost no flavor. Definitely not worth the price. Overall, would not return.
- Fabulous4kidsphewDined on 10/11/2014This is the 3rd time that I have eaten at Lucca Restaurant since the beginning of summer. Every meal has been better than the last. Service is impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedfoodiegrrrlDined on 10/9/2014One of the hostesses was super rude. Waiter was slow, rude and inept. Food wasn't good - there were four of us and none had a dish we were impressed with. Wouldn't recommend this place or go back.
- What a find!TheCoatesDined on 10/9/2014We made reservations online, received a reminder via email, and had a table when we got there...in front of the open air windows facing the street. Waitstaff was perfect (I waitressed for 22 years...I know what is good and what is great!). The food was fresh and the pasta cooked to perfection. We will go back the next chance we get. Wonderful experience!Special Features:
- might try againnorthendlovaDined on 9/28/2014We went to Lucca with another couple. We ate early on a Sunday night and they seated us right at the floor-to-ceiling open window which was great. The waiter had absolutely no warmth and while he brought the two requested glasses of wine he forgot the one soda. I was encouraged by the waiter to get the halibut (one of the pricier items on the menu) but it was dry and just "ok." Everyone else seemed to enjoy their meals; a gluten-free lobster dish, the scallops, and the creamy orrechiette. I tried a bite of the scallops which were divine. the calamari appetizer was served with squid ink gnocchi which, unfortunately for appearance-sake, looked like black meal worms. Will probably go again but get the scallops, some wine and people watch.
- food and service was outstanding.tvigsDined on 9/27/2014the calamari was superb and the pasta dishes different but tasty.service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service, Good FoodJessicaDined on 9/27/2014My experience at Lucca was not a good one. Before going to an event I allowed 1.5hrs to eat dinner at Lucca before an evening event. It took almost 40 minutes to get our wine, appetizer, and bread basket and then we had to scarf down our $30 entrees in the last 5 minutes of the meal to make our next event. The waiter took my wine glass away without asking if I'd like a second glass and did the same with my friend, but she wasn't event done with her wine. The food was delicious, but I was sad to eat my $120 meal in a matter of minutes.Special Features:
- Warm wine and average foodTravelerDined on 9/24/2014Went based on Wine Spectator review and the wine list is great. Ordered two magnums of red wine that were served warm, which was too bad. The food was pretty average to below average. Service was prompt and the ambiance was great.Special Features:
- Mailing it inlaxdinerDined on 9/23/2014Unfortunately, Lucca, like so many restaurants in the North End, is just not focused on quality food and service. Admittedly, the service was so bad that the food might not have been too bad but it was brought to the table cold and in one diners case late. That one meal was comped but for a business dinner that is not the issue. 5 diners are trying to be polite and not eat while we wait on one person's food for 15 minutes. Night started on the wrong foot when the waiter couldn't understand how to take an order for grey goose up. I received an absolutely filthy dirty martini that was not consumable. Location is great but please realize these restaurants are their to churn tables to get more tourists through the door.
- Consistently greatdipiedDined on 9/18/2014I always have an amazing meal and a great time here. Service is top notch and the menu is always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE IT!!CabinFeverDined on 9/13/2014One of the best Italian restaurants in the North End. A must try!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chat, drink and eat!Greenegirl53Dined on 9/12/2014My friend and I meet for drinks and dinner to catch up every other month. Lucca is one of our favorite spots to do it. Good selection of wine, appetizers and entrees. We sat at the bar and the service great. Check your credit card when you get home though. Somehow she was charged twice! The calamari was delish as was the chicken entree. It was easy for us to chat with each other's and those around us. I enjoy the bar scene at Lucca! Will be back soon!!!Special Features:
- Best steak I've ever eaten!Stephleone24Dined on 9/12/2014Most amazing steak, vegetables, duck, and pasta of my life! Was so full I couldn't try dessert but it looked great!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than expectedgoldenrenDined on 9/11/2014After two different taxi drivers recommended this place, and finding reviews raving about it, my wife and I were somewhat disappointed. The food was good but not great, and not worth raving about. My appetizer, duck confit in a crust, was very very good, but my main course, lobster in pasta, was not. The lobster was not fresh, or else previously frozen, and the sauce was gooey. My wife's oysters were fine, and she devoured her veal chop with tuna oil and capers. The bread was served with something that looked and tasted like green putty. With all the great North End restaurants, we would probably not go back.Special Features:
- High End in the North EndAPCGVIPDined on 9/5/2014Reserved a table at Lucca for my husband's birthday...Our cab driver got lost finding us, so we were running a few minutes late. Called to let them know, and they were very gracious--told us they'd have a nice table waiting for us, and thanked us for letting them know. We arrived and true to their word, our table was waiting. Service was very attentive, if stuffy. Dinner itself was excellent--My husband had the verdura salad and the salmon for dinner. I had the Caesar salad and the filet for dinner. We were pleased to find our favorite wine on the menu. I was disappointed that no one read the special note on my reservation that asked for a piece of tiramisu with a candle in it to be charged to and sent the to table, as that didn't happen.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014Halibut was the best we have ever had. Calamari was fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite placeFanofLuccaDined on 8/30/2014Lucca is one of our favorite restaurants. My husband and I shared our first date there, got engaged there, and have been back a few times in between. It is an intimate setting perfect for a special night or just dinner out. Food is outstanding. A plentiful basket of bread is brought to the table. Appetizers or sides are shareable. Entree size is just right. Youre not leaving there hungry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North End GemBabsDined on 8/30/2014I have dined at Lucca's on several occasions, and it never disappoints. Had a delicious caesar salad and seared scallops. Others had pasta dishes, including Pasta Bolognese, which they said was very good. It can sometimes be loud if there are large family groups, which didn't bother me, but some diners might prefer to dine later to avoid big family groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lostmama89VIPDined on 8/29/2014The lobster pasta and the tiramisu were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointedkr35Dined on 8/29/2014The food here is average. We had family in town who were excited to experience the famed North End and its food, but this was a disappointment. Service was great and atmosphere was nice, but the food - from the bread in the beginning to dessert - was just blah. We will not go back.
- Cattle CarPrimetimeVIPDined on 8/28/2014Billed as an intimate little spot with authentic old world cozy flair, this mega restaurant is anything but. Crowded lines of tables for six pressed against one wall. The food was tasty, but we will try another authentic Little Italy establishement next visit to Boston.
- Always goodEJLADined on 8/25/2014Came in for a business dinner this week, and they sat us at one of the tables by the window. We didn't realize it was Dine Boston week, but that turned out to be a happy accident. I tried the Wild Boar appetizer for the first time, and it was phenomenal. Followed that with the Rigatoni Bolognese, which I've ordered every time I've been, and it didn't disappoint. The desserts weren't especially great, but I was already full from the prior two courses anyway. The only down side to the meal was our waiter seemed to disappear for long stretches and never quite gave a direct answer to a question. That said, I'm sure I'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KimmiekupkakeKimmiecupcake70Dined on 8/23/2014We frequent lucca. Didn't mind the noise, the waiter who was having a rough nite or hour wait for food. DID MIND that the food was cold and overdone and our guests (who had never been to the north end) meal had a big thick long black curly hair in it. That ruined the night. $280.00 wasted. Won't go there again.
- Lucca never failsmoviemavenDined on 8/23/2014This visit was my third to Lucca, and it never fails to wow me! We had boar, duck, and chicken and each one was better than the last. We could not help sharing and raving about each dish. Thanks!Special Features:
- WonderfulTbzzVIPDined on 8/23/2014Great service and delicious food. We were warmly greeted at the door and made to feel right at home. There were 3 of us and we all were very pleased. Two of us asked for changes to our dishes and were accommodated. I had the gnocchi and asked that it be served with a marinara. The pasta was perfect and the sauce simple and delicious. Just a totally wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/21/2014During our three day stay near the north end we treated ourselves to three different Italian restaurants. We thought Lucca's was the best overall. The food and service we both excellent. The Cinghiale was especially excellent. We would highly recommend Lucca's.Special Features:
- Flavorful ItalianIlovebmorediningDined on 8/20/2014A friend recommended this place and we were delighted with our experience. All staff was super nice and the food was delicious and flavorful. First off, the bread basket had two Yummy choices with an awesome basil butter and olive oil side for dipping. I got a lobster pasta dish that had huge chunks of lobster and a rich, but not too rich cream sauce which I would get again. Water glass was always full and I left feeling full and happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ExperienceRIVisitorDined on 8/5/2014We went for our anniversary, and had an amazing time. Table was ready on time, friendly, knowledgeable staff, amazing food. Made a note it was our anniversary and the owner came by to congratulate us, and sent a complimentary dessert. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, rude serviceKellyVIPDined on 8/4/2014The food at Lucca is undeniably delicious. However, with so many equally delicious options in the North End, I would caution people to avoid this restaurant due to the poor service our group received last night. Our waiter was visibly annoyed when we asked questions about the menu, tried to take away almost every dish when we clearly weren't even half finished, and was overall unpleasant - no greeting, no hint of a smile, just acted like we were a huge inconvenience despite our large order that resulted in a nice tip for him (we believe in good tipping regardless of poor service for a living wage). Overall, we felt rushed and unappreciated when we should have felt warm and welcome. Don't recommend.
- Great First DateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014I had a first date here and had a wonderful experience; Food, wine, and service were top notch. I will definitely come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!NixDoesBostonDined on 7/18/2014The location of this is fantastic. Sit by the window and you get a great view as people walk by. The food is good, about as good as Italian can get, but nothing to really go out of your way for. I'd go back.Special Features:
- Great choicesgc2Dined on 7/18/2014Absolutely delicious. Friendly service. Reminded me of Rome. Totally recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- business dinnerMarcADined on 7/14/2014We had a very enjoyable dinner. The food was very good and the service was attentive. Jen the bartender was a scream, very fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not great.Henrysmom1Dined on 7/12/2014The restaurant is in a great location in the heart of the North End. The service was very gracious, but a little innatentive- they were busy. The food was good but not great. Some dishes were better than others. Overall a fine experience, but we have had better in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- SteveDined on 7/12/2014Too noisy. Food was great but Lucca Back Bay is a much nicer restaurant. A much more enjoyable experience.
- Meraviglioso!ChicagoAnnVIPDined on 7/12/2014We had a wonderful expereince dining from the very creative menu offered by Lucca North End, and the service was excellent. We enjoyed people watching on Hanover and really appreciated the excellent, attentive service.Special Features:
- Average ItalianChappaqua5423VIPDined on 7/8/2014Went to Lucca looking for a great North End find but was disappointed. The food was nothing special and clunky. Had to ask 3 times for the mozzarella bread, which was heavy and tasteless. The pasta with broccoli rave and sausage was drowned in cream and the rigatoni, while spicy, had no finesse. Too bad -- much better choices to be found
- Delicious, but overpricedLocalVIPDined on 7/8/2014Similar meals can be had at a lower price point within the North End