Lucca Back Bay
116 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Lucca Back Bay
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.luccabackbay.com/
- Phone: (617) 247-2400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner daily 5:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Italian
- Executive Chef: Andres Cruz
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our elegant mezzanine dining room seating 40 guests.
- Private Party Contact: * 6172472400x
A word from Lucca Back Bay
From creators of the acclaimed North End restaurant, Lucca, Lucca Back Bay features upscale, regional, contemporary cuisine in Boston's Back Bay.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lucca Back Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (62)special occasion (45)good for groups (40)notable wine list (39)romantic (29)neighborhood gem (29)vibrant bar scene (19)late-night find (10)hot spot (9)great for lunch (7)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (3)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014Ambiance and service were 5 star. I gave the food only 4 stars because the dessert was only mediocre. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely spot for dinner before the symphonyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2014I am gluten free and they were wonderful about accommodating my meal. They even brought out sliced cucumber for me while the other guests enjoyed bread before our food arrived. Each person really enjoyed their first course, 2 people had the soup which was described as very flavorful and delicious, another guest had the Salumi which was excellent. My gluten free rice based pasta to substitute the rigatoni the bolognese was perfect and delicious. Did not feel I was missing a thing. Definitely an enjoyable evening and safe bet for your night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a HUGE disappointmentPenzanceDined on 11/20/2014Were it not for my dining companion, the experience at Lucca would have been awful. Another duo (same gender as we) who were seated after us had ordered and been served their first course before we'd ordered. It was early and there were many open tables when we arrived. My dinner, albeit tasty, was served cold. When asked if everything was alright by a ?manager, he did offer to replace it but by then my companion was enjoying her meal. They did comp us a dessert. As the large room filled, the noise level increased dramatically. Overall not a pleasant dining experience; I don't plan a return visit with so many other nearby excellent dining options.
- Excellent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/14/2014Really enjoyed the overall experience. Beautiful dramatic space. Warm bar area. Caesar salad excellent just right amount of dressing. Rigatoni was hearty and would order it again. My daughter enjoyed the chicken. Wines by the glass well done. "Molten" chocolate cake wasn't very molten which was the only modest disappointment. Service attentive but not intrusive. Would recommend overall.
- Good food/terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/9/2014After being sat, no one ever came to wait on me (I had to flag the manager down after waiting for 20 minutes at the table) and then they got my order wrong. The food was actually really good, but service was a complete failure not just once but twice. There are plenty of other good restaurants in Boston so I have no reason to ever go back to this place.
- A good experienceFrequentdinerDined on 11/8/2014Good food and good service and an awareness that we were going to the Symphony made for a good experienceI would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucca back bay wonderfulLuvgoodfoodDined on 11/7/2014All of it was fabulous. Service and food were outstanding. Menu creative but not too odd. Waiter extremely knowledgeable. Wine recommendations spot on. First nite for a new dessert chef was trying out. It had pumpkin for the season. I'm a chocolate person myself but this was Unbelievably good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly goodsamziamVIPDined on 11/7/2014There are few above-average restaurants in the Symphony Hall/Jordan Hall area, and, while I've had mixed experiences at Lucca, this visit was notable--both for the food and the service. Will be back, next time with high expectations.Special Features:
- Wonderful menu, great servicecherylglVIPDined on 11/7/2014We went to Lucca Back Bay prior to a show at the BU Theater. This was our first time, and it won't be our last. As a frequent visitor to Tuscany, I was thrilled to see cinghiale (wild boar) on the menu. It was prepared perfectly, with gnocchi and an all'amatriciana sauce. My husband was thrilled with his pan seared salmon and pumpkin. He also enjoyed the cherry cake (I forget its exact name) for dessert. Our waiter, Joe, was excellent as well.anksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday CelebrationBabsDined on 11/3/2014Great find! The service and food were wonderful! We went to Lucca for a birthday celebration, I have to give our server tons of credit, we stayed and drank and gabbed and he didn't rush us or make us feel like it was a problem. Our meals were all really tasty and the wine was terrific and reasonable. We were there on a Monday so the dining-room was not full but I can imagine it might get loud if it were full. Would go there again in a heart beat!Special Features:
- A wonderful dinnerHungryRichardVIPDined on 10/25/2014On a busy Saturday night, we were seated immediately and served attentively throughout. The food was quite delicious. Outstanding was the fettuccini with wild mushrooms, a subtly flavored but hearty dish. A side of polenta with mascarpone was a creamy delight. I will return to try the menu more extensively but on the basis of this first visit, I recommend Lucca.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experiencemealdocDined on 10/25/2014the entire experience was very enjoyable- food and even the plate came out hot- which is a rarity for most restaurants!! the mixed green salad was dressed in the kitchen with the perfect amount of dressing to add flavor and was NOT dripping like many other establsihments. the service was engaging timely and not overwhelming as my (old friends) guests and I took time with old stories and didnt get rushed at all by the waitress. She could tell that we were re-acquainting and not in a rush.Special Features:
- Food disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014The service was excellent and the setting lovely. It was a great place to go before the BSO. Other than oysters which were magnificent, the food just wasn't all that great. It was just standard restaurant fare.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceRitayayaDined on 10/24/2014Great food and service! Dinned with a party of six. Table was a little late but we were checked on often, and offer a rectangular table which we declined. Very attentive staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably goodCoopwriteVIPDined on 10/16/2014One of my favorite restaurants. A great neighborhood resource as well as a reliable place to recommend to out of town associates/friends.Special Features:
- Perfect dining experienceMbo333Dined on 10/13/20145 stars. Food, service and environment was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant surpriseLongIslandSueMayDined on 10/12/2014After a delicious meal for our group of 7, attentively served, coffee came and we waited and waited for our desserts (which usually arrive with the coffee). The frozen ones were melting. When the bill came we saw the charges for them had quietly been removed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommend!BostonDinerDined on 10/10/2014I have been to Lucca Back Bay on several occasions now (work-oriented and social) and have never had a less than fantastic dining experience there. From the nice high ceilings, large windows, lighting, and decor that provide the perfect ambience, to the helpful and friendly host/hostess and waitstaff, everything about this restaurant is already great before you even get your meal. And once you do, the food itself is always so delicious! Personal favorites have been the tuna tartare and beef carpaccio appetizers, along with the steak, pork loin, and scallop entrees, but really everything is tasty. The desserts and drinks are great too - my fiancee loves the lychee martini. In short, there are few sure things, but Lucca is one of them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Veal Milanese as good as I've had in Milan. A wonderful meal.Special Features:
- Bella LuccaDekaleDined on 10/5/2014Quality Italian food and good service Decent selection of wine. Overall very good experience. Definitely would recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy and complete450painterDined on 10/4/2014They accomodated my desire for round table. Food was great. Service a bit slow. Loved the comfort and location. Good place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot, great food and serviceJanieDined on 9/27/2014We enjoy Lucca and find the menu and service of very high quality. The noise level is a bit high for us but in general the ambiance is quite enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food,atmosphere,and decorOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2014Terrific design and layout of the restaurant. Great looking bar area and the design/decor and feel of the entire restaurant is exceptional, creating an energetic and comfortable ambience without being noisy. The food was excellent as well as the service and we are very appreciative of the special treatment received for our special occasion. Also appreciated the call to confirm and the suggestion that if we arrive a little later than 7:30 there would be greater flexibility in seating.Special Features:
- We left disappointed/confusedSeafoodFan51Dined on 9/19/2014We were excited to try Lucca. Most reviews seem good and the menu was interesting. The actual experience was pretty disappointing, mostly because of the service. We were sat at a table that is right at the landing of the stairs to the second floor. It felt like we were in a busy hallway all night with the amount of traffic bustling back and forth by us. Service felt disconnected, random people taking our orders with our apps/entres/drinks. No real continuity, and the food, while it was done with quality ingredients, we just didn't get it. My swordfish special was good, she had chicken, which was notably dry. We left unsatisfied and confused, and went somewhere else to end our night. I can't say we left with a reason to come back.Special Features:
- Excellent, but beware the wine listSaraD0426Dined on 9/18/2014EXCELLENT! My girlfriend and I decided to have dinner here because we were going to the symphony. So happy with our decision. I was able to valet my car for $18, and they are open late so I left it there through the symphony and we even went out for drinks afterward. We shared the Caprese Salad as an appetizer, and also shared the Bistecca as our entrée. The steak was grass-fed, which had great appeal, and it was incredible! Note: beware the wine list. When we ordered our wine we did not realize that the first page of the wine list was for half-bottles, and not full bottles. Needless to say, when the check finally came we were in for a surprise. Fortunately, the manager realized that it was a miscommunication and corrected the bill.Special Features:
- greatjerriVIPDined on 9/18/2014Go here before the theater all the time...love it thank youSpecial Features:
- Not so greatrSKIDined on 9/16/2014Nice place. Good service. Didn't care for the cold appetizers, and the filet was awful in my opinion. A $40 filet should not have to be chewed like bubble gum when cooked medium rare. Others in my party were satisfied with their entrees.Special Features:
- Excellent atmosphereJuanCarlosDined on 9/5/2014Service and food quality are outstanding Also the space between tables and the sense of privacySpecial Features:
- LuvtowineLuvtowineDined on 9/5/2014Easy walking from major hotels in the Back Bay. Spacious for private conversations along with exceptional menu items , make this restaurant a great find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PCDBostonDined on 8/28/2014My friends and I enjoyed having dinner here. The food was very good, the service was attentive, and the room was attractive.Special Features:
- Upscale ItalianTravelingDinerDined on 8/22/2014Exquisite service, calming atmosphere and tasty food. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dinner ExperienceMac3qDined on 8/21/2014We chose Lucca after weighing our choices in Back Bay Boston. Reviews of nearby Newberry St were eratic and often mentioned chain eateries. Upon entering we were pleasantly greeted and an accomodation to a table of our choice was made. Our waiter explained our options from the $38 prix fixe menu along with the many other choices from the reg menu.. There were at least 4 prix fixe choices for appetizers and entrees and 2 for dessert. Our apps of a green salad and a Wagyu beef plate were excellent to the point my wife changed to the beef for her entree. I chose the Pollo. Both were delicious and prepared to order. The staff as a whole were attentive while at the same time gave us our space. Overall I would recommend visting Lucca to allSpecial Features:
- Pre-game findJudyVIPDined on 8/18/2014We went to Lucca before a Red Sox game, so we were the only diners there at 5 pm! Great service, really good food! Would be fun to go back when someone else is there!Special Features:
- Food good,wine warmEHSNYCDined on 8/15/2014The hostess was disingenuous. We were not given a warm welcome. The waiter had an 'air' about him as well until we made conversation with him. The food was good, not worth the price, and our $58 bottle of wine was warm. We don't plan on returning. We would have had a much better experience if the attitudes of the staff were professional.Special Features:
- DisappointingtnwvtDined on 8/7/2014Appetizers: Carpaccio was excellent. Octopus salad was tasty, although a bit shy on the polpo. Mains: The garganelli with chicken sausage was pedestrian. The sausage was dry, and the dish, overall, lacked spark. The lobster ravioli was, likewise, a bit flat in flavor, the the pasta was too heavy. This is a dish that demands a more delicate pasta than was presented. Other: The restaurant has a good cellar, and the wines are fairly priced. The staff are very good -- attentive and friendly, but not fawning. The noise level was tolerable, but surprisingly high for a room with soft furnishings and a high ceiling. This could be a good restaurant, but more attention to detail is needed in the kitchen.
- Convenient to Back Bay HotelsSteverinoDined on 8/6/2014Early evening dinner for 4. Good meal, not spectacular, but even teenager was satisfied. Would be a great late night spot for drinks & a light "bite"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 833 reviews are from the Lucca Back Bay reviews archive.
- Creative, delicious, a great findsejdaVIPDined on 7/29/2014Try everything. It was all beautifully presented and quite yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantSergioDined on 7/27/2014The service was outstanding. I had dinner with my wife and daughters and the waitress was really helpful in recommending good plates / reasonable portions.Special Features:
- prefer North EndbeachdocVIPDined on 7/25/2014I've eaten at Lucca North End many times and always enjoyed the experience. This was my first time in the Back Bay location. The wine list is great , but otherwise the experience was disappointing. The restaurant was empty -- not the energy of the North End location, and the food was just average. I went back to the North End location the next night (I'm visiting from out of town and doing a lot of entertaining) and was much happier.Special Features:
- Love to go backBabaRamDassDined on 7/24/2014Whenever we visit Boston, Lucca's is one of our go-to restaurants in the Back Bay. Good food and an atmosphere conducive to good conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.