Lucca Back Bay
116 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Lucca Back Bay
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.luccabackbay.com/
- Phone: 6172472400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner daily 5:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Italian
- Executive Chef: Andres Cruz
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our elegant mezzanine dining room seating 40 guests.
- Private Party Contact: * 6172472400x
A word from Lucca Back Bay
From creators of the acclaimed North End restaurant, Lucca, Lucca Back Bay features upscale, regional, contemporary cuisine in Boston's Back Bay.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lucca Back Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (46)special occasion (38)good for groups (29)notable wine list (28)neighborhood gem (26)romantic (25)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (8)hot spot (7)great for lunch (5)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Reliably goodCoopwriteVIPDined on 10/16/2014One of my favorite restaurants. A great neighborhood resource as well as a reliable place to recommend to out of town associates/friends.Special Features:
- Perfect dining experienceMbo333Dined on 10/13/20145 stars. Food, service and environment was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant surpriseLongIslandSueMayDined on 10/12/2014After a delicious meal for our group of 7, attentively served, coffee came and we waited and waited for our desserts (which usually arrive with the coffee). The frozen ones were melting. When the bill came we saw the charges for them had quietly been removed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommend!BostonDinerDined on 10/10/2014I have been to Lucca Back Bay on several occasions now (work-oriented and social) and have never had a less than fantastic dining experience there. From the nice high ceilings, large windows, lighting, and decor that provide the perfect ambience, to the helpful and friendly host/hostess and waitstaff, everything about this restaurant is already great before you even get your meal. And once you do, the food itself is always so delicious! Personal favorites have been the tuna tartare and beef carpaccio appetizers, along with the steak, pork loin, and scallop entrees, but really everything is tasty. The desserts and drinks are great too - my fiancee loves the lychee martini. In short, there are few sure things, but Lucca is one of them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Veal Milanese as good as I've had in Milan. A wonderful meal.Special Features:
- Cozy and complete450painterDined on 10/4/2014They accomodated my desire for round table. Food was great. Service a bit slow. Loved the comfort and location. Good place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot, great food and serviceJanieDined on 9/27/2014We enjoy Lucca and find the menu and service of very high quality. The noise level is a bit high for us but in general the ambiance is quite enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food,atmosphere,and decorOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2014Terrific design and layout of the restaurant. Great looking bar area and the design/decor and feel of the entire restaurant is exceptional, creating an energetic and comfortable ambience without being noisy. The food was excellent as well as the service and we are very appreciative of the special treatment received for our special occasion. Also appreciated the call to confirm and the suggestion that if we arrive a little later than 7:30 there would be greater flexibility in seating.Special Features:
- We left disappointed/confusedSeafoodFan51Dined on 9/19/2014We were excited to try Lucca. Most reviews seem good and the menu was interesting. The actual experience was pretty disappointing, mostly because of the service. We were sat at a table that is right at the landing of the stairs to the second floor. It felt like we were in a busy hallway all night with the amount of traffic bustling back and forth by us. Service felt disconnected, random people taking our orders with our apps/entres/drinks. No real continuity, and the food, while it was done with quality ingredients, we just didn't get it. My swordfish special was good, she had chicken, which was notably dry. We left unsatisfied and confused, and went somewhere else to end our night. I can't say we left with a reason to come back.Special Features:
- Excellent, but beware the wine listSaraD0426Dined on 9/18/2014EXCELLENT! My girlfriend and I decided to have dinner here because we were going to the symphony. So happy with our decision. I was able to valet my car for $18, and they are open late so I left it there through the symphony and we even went out for drinks afterward. We shared the Caprese Salad as an appetizer, and also shared the Bistecca as our entrée. The steak was grass-fed, which had great appeal, and it was incredible! Note: beware the wine list. When we ordered our wine we did not realize that the first page of the wine list was for half-bottles, and not full bottles. Needless to say, when the check finally came we were in for a surprise. Fortunately, the manager realized that it was a miscommunication and corrected the bill.Special Features:
- greatjerriVIPDined on 9/18/2014Go here before the theater all the time...love it thank youSpecial Features:
- Not so greatrSKIDined on 9/16/2014Nice place. Good service. Didn't care for the cold appetizers, and the filet was awful in my opinion. A $40 filet should not have to be chewed like bubble gum when cooked medium rare. Others in my party were satisfied with their entrees.Special Features:
- Excellent atmosphereJuanCarlosDined on 9/5/2014Service and food quality are outstanding Also the space between tables and the sense of privacySpecial Features:
- LuvtowineLuvtowineDined on 9/5/2014Easy walking from major hotels in the Back Bay. Spacious for private conversations along with exceptional menu items , make this restaurant a great find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PCDBostonDined on 8/28/2014My friends and I enjoyed having dinner here. The food was very good, the service was attentive, and the room was attractive.Special Features:
- Excellent Dinner ExperienceMac3qDined on 8/21/2014We chose Lucca after weighing our choices in Back Bay Boston. Reviews of nearby Newberry St were eratic and often mentioned chain eateries. Upon entering we were pleasantly greeted and an accomodation to a table of our choice was made. Our waiter explained our options from the $38 prix fixe menu along with the many other choices from the reg menu.. There were at least 4 prix fixe choices for appetizers and entrees and 2 for dessert. Our apps of a green salad and a Wagyu beef plate were excellent to the point my wife changed to the beef for her entree. I chose the Pollo. Both were delicious and prepared to order. The staff as a whole were attentive while at the same time gave us our space. Overall I would recommend visting Lucca to allSpecial Features:
- Pre-game findJudyVIPDined on 8/18/2014We went to Lucca before a Red Sox game, so we were the only diners there at 5 pm! Great service, really good food! Would be fun to go back when someone else is there!Special Features:
- Food good,wine warmEHSNYCDined on 8/15/2014The hostess was disingenuous. We were not given a warm welcome. The waiter had an 'air' about him as well until we made conversation with him. The food was good, not worth the price, and our $58 bottle of wine was warm. We don't plan on returning. We would have had a much better experience if the attitudes of the staff were professional.Special Features:
- DisappointingtnwvtDined on 8/7/2014Appetizers: Carpaccio was excellent. Octopus salad was tasty, although a bit shy on the polpo. Mains: The garganelli with chicken sausage was pedestrian. The sausage was dry, and the dish, overall, lacked spark. The lobster ravioli was, likewise, a bit flat in flavor, the the pasta was too heavy. This is a dish that demands a more delicate pasta than was presented. Other: The restaurant has a good cellar, and the wines are fairly priced. The staff are very good -- attentive and friendly, but not fawning. The noise level was tolerable, but surprisingly high for a room with soft furnishings and a high ceiling. This could be a good restaurant, but more attention to detail is needed in the kitchen.
- Convenient to Back Bay HotelsSteverinoDined on 8/6/2014Early evening dinner for 4. Good meal, not spectacular, but even teenager was satisfied. Would be a great late night spot for drinks & a light "bite"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative, delicious, a great findsejdaVIPDined on 7/29/2014Try everything. It was all beautifully presented and quite yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantSergioDined on 7/27/2014The service was outstanding. I had dinner with my wife and daughters and the waitress was really helpful in recommending good plates / reasonable portions.Special Features:
- prefer North EndbeachdocVIPDined on 7/25/2014I've eaten at Lucca North End many times and always enjoyed the experience. This was my first time in the Back Bay location. The wine list is great , but otherwise the experience was disappointing. The restaurant was empty -- not the energy of the North End location, and the food was just average. I went back to the North End location the next night (I'm visiting from out of town and doing a lot of entertaining) and was much happier.Special Features:
- Love to go backBabaRamDassDined on 7/24/2014Whenever we visit Boston, Lucca's is one of our go-to restaurants in the Back Bay. Good food and an atmosphere conducive to good conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian American styleBainesVIPDined on 7/24/2014Although Lucca has many local fans and the food was generally good, I found it more 'American' than Italian. The food lacked the true Italian flavor and flair was more an Americanized version of Italian food in a very American corporate feeling setting. For more authentic cuisine try Erbaluce!
- If scallops are on the menuSLH4HairVIPDined on 7/22/2014We dined with 3 other couples, three people in the group of 8 had the scallops we all cleaned or plates. The five others enjoyed the meals as well. Our waiter was also very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2014When I dined the second time I was disappointed that the "special" arugula truffle pizza wasn't on the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spot onchrisdDined on 7/19/2014Special spot for a 50th wedding anniversary, service was impeccable, decor is lovely and the food is DELISH! Although the location is central, the "view" is nothing special of the street, but other than that no complaints and strongly recommend. (Try the meatballs, you won't be disappointed!!!)Special Features:
- Another wonderful dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/17/2014From salad through dessert this meal was one of the best. We keep going back to Lucca because we are never disappointed in the food and service. We highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastico!szy13Dined on 7/7/2014In town for a conference, I promised myself one special dinner & was delighted to find Lucca a block from my hotel. The menu was incredible & even offered a very affordable $79 Chef's Choice option with wine. As a first course, I opted for a classical paring of melon with proscuitto elevated by incredible watermelon. Next I chose lobster with chervil risotto & shaved asparagus. While expensive, the portion was large with succulent lobster and a perfect risotto. The real winner of the night was a late harvest Reisling served with dessert. The wine list had a good selection by the glass, so I was able to chose nice parings with each course. The service was attentive and professional and truly appreciated how much I enjoyed my meal.Special Features:
- gordogordoVIPDined on 7/7/2014The food was great. Service was efficient. Great ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian!TsquaredDined on 6/27/2014Atmosphere, Food, Service and location are all great. Conveniently located in Back Bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 821 reviews are from the Lucca Back Bay reviews archive.
- SaltySingaDined on 6/18/2014I went to Luca for dinner, everything was extremely salty. I asked for the bolagnase but with gluten free pasta, I can say that there was an issue somewhere because my dish definately had gluten in it. It was very loud and it was difficult to hear our server. Also don't get the caprese salad.
- Went the extra mile...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/18/2014...when I informed them I had clients coming with me. I have eaten here many times (I work across the street) and it is always top notch, but they really made sure the evening was flawless when I needed them to. My thanks to the entire staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeafoodJohnDined on 6/15/2014Squid ink pasta was perfect. Could eat it every night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT!!BillVIPDined on 6/9/2014The Chef's tasting pre-fixe dinner with wine pairing was phenomenal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally blown away...JayDinesOutDined on 6/7/2014Let me just say that we go out ALOT and have quite a bit of experience in the Boston restaurant scene but somehow had never been to Lucca before. What a mistake on our part. We had a great time! The bar was a bit crowded but they were kind enough to accommodate us and seat us early. Service was spot on; professional but still personable. Food was pretty much perfect. If you go (and you should) talk to Joe he's the manager and resident wine guru. He recommended 2 fantastic wine pairings (of which we probably had a bit too much because it was so delicious) and had us laughing all night long. We will definitely be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner before the Pops!MarlenCDined on 6/6/2014We had a great time and a great meal - a bit pricey - but its a fabulous downtown Boston location with excellent food so that comes with the territorySpecial Features:
- Naples1Naples1VIPDined on 6/6/2014It was a fabulous pre Pops experience The food, the service, the wine - all perfect! Highly recommend for the diner who enjoys the lighter side of exceptional dining Had a bottle of wine from my region of Italy that you do not see at many local restaurants Superb Top chef should have selected this location for restaurant wars Nice settingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvtowineDined on 6/5/2014Visiting Boston's back bay and found Lucca to be the best restaurant we've experienced. The perfect ambiance for good conversation over an excellent Italian dinner,Special Features: