Lucca Back Bay
116 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Lucca Back Bay
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.luccabackbay.com/
- Phone: 6172472400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner daily 5:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Italian
- Executive Chef: Andres Cruz
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our elegant mezzanine dining room seating 40 guests.
- Private Party Contact: * 6172472400x
A word from Lucca Back Bay
From creators of the acclaimed North End restaurant, Lucca, Lucca Back Bay features upscale, regional, contemporary cuisine in Boston's Back Bay.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lucca Back Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (40)fit for foodies (37)romantic (27)notable wine list (25)neighborhood gem (21)good for groups (18)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (9)hot spot (7)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Excellent Dinner ExperienceMac3qDined on 8/21/2014We chose Lucca after weighing our choices in Back Bay Boston. Reviews of nearby Newberry St were eratic and often mentioned chain eateries. Upon entering we were pleasantly greeted and an accomodation to a table of our choice was made. Our waiter explained our options from the $38 prix fixe menu along with the many other choices from the reg menu.. There were at least 4 prix fixe choices for appetizers and entrees and 2 for dessert. Our apps of a green salad and a Wagyu beef plate were excellent to the point my wife changed to the beef for her entree. I chose the Pollo. Both were delicious and prepared to order. The staff as a whole were attentive while at the same time gave us our space. Overall I would recommend visting Lucca to allSpecial Features:
- Pre-game findJudyVIPDined on 8/18/2014We went to Lucca before a Red Sox game, so we were the only diners there at 5 pm! Great service, really good food! Would be fun to go back when someone else is there!Special Features:
- Food good,wine warmEHSNYCDined on 8/15/2014The hostess was disingenuous. We were not given a warm welcome. The waiter had an 'air' about him as well until we made conversation with him. The food was good, not worth the price, and our $58 bottle of wine was warm. We don't plan on returning. We would have had a much better experience if the attitudes of the staff were professional.Special Features:
- DisappointingtnwvtDined on 8/7/2014Appetizers: Carpaccio was excellent. Octopus salad was tasty, although a bit shy on the polpo. Mains: The garganelli with chicken sausage was pedestrian. The sausage was dry, and the dish, overall, lacked spark. The lobster ravioli was, likewise, a bit flat in flavor, the the pasta was too heavy. This is a dish that demands a more delicate pasta than was presented. Other: The restaurant has a good cellar, and the wines are fairly priced. The staff are very good -- attentive and friendly, but not fawning. The noise level was tolerable, but surprisingly high for a room with soft furnishings and a high ceiling. This could be a good restaurant, but more attention to detail is needed in the kitchen.
- Convenient to Back Bay HotelsSteverinoDined on 8/6/2014Early evening dinner for 4. Good meal, not spectacular, but even teenager was satisfied. Would be a great late night spot for drinks & a light "bite"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative, delicious, a great findsejdaDined on 7/29/2014Try everything. It was all beautifully presented and quite yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantSergioDined on 7/27/2014The service was outstanding. I had dinner with my wife and daughters and the waitress was really helpful in recommending good plates / reasonable portions.Special Features:
- prefer North EndbeachdocVIPDined on 7/25/2014I've eaten at Lucca North End many times and always enjoyed the experience. This was my first time in the Back Bay location. The wine list is great , but otherwise the experience was disappointing. The restaurant was empty -- not the energy of the North End location, and the food was just average. I went back to the North End location the next night (I'm visiting from out of town and doing a lot of entertaining) and was much happier.Special Features:
- Love to go backBabaRamDassDined on 7/24/2014Whenever we visit Boston, Lucca's is one of our go-to restaurants in the Back Bay. Good food and an atmosphere conducive to good conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian American styleBainesVIPDined on 7/24/2014Although Lucca has many local fans and the food was generally good, I found it more 'American' than Italian. The food lacked the true Italian flavor and flair was more an Americanized version of Italian food in a very American corporate feeling setting. For more authentic cuisine try Erbaluce!
- If scallops are on the menuSLH4HairVIPDined on 7/22/2014We dined with 3 other couples, three people in the group of 8 had the scallops we all cleaned or plates. The five others enjoyed the meals as well. Our waiter was also very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spot onchrisdDined on 7/19/2014Special spot for a 50th wedding anniversary, service was impeccable, decor is lovely and the food is DELISH! Although the location is central, the "view" is nothing special of the street, but other than that no complaints and strongly recommend. (Try the meatballs, you won't be disappointed!!!)Special Features:
- Another wonderful dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/17/2014From salad through dessert this meal was one of the best. We keep going back to Lucca because we are never disappointed in the food and service. We highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastico!szy13Dined on 7/7/2014In town for a conference, I promised myself one special dinner & was delighted to find Lucca a block from my hotel. The menu was incredible & even offered a very affordable $79 Chef's Choice option with wine. As a first course, I opted for a classical paring of melon with proscuitto elevated by incredible watermelon. Next I chose lobster with chervil risotto & shaved asparagus. While expensive, the portion was large with succulent lobster and a perfect risotto. The real winner of the night was a late harvest Reisling served with dessert. The wine list had a good selection by the glass, so I was able to chose nice parings with each course. The service was attentive and professional and truly appreciated how much I enjoyed my meal.Special Features:
- gordogordoVIPDined on 7/7/2014The food was great. Service was efficient. Great ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian!TsquaredDined on 6/27/2014Atmosphere, Food, Service and location are all great. Conveniently located in Back Bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SaltySingaDined on 6/18/2014I went to Luca for dinner, everything was extremely salty. I asked for the bolagnase but with gluten free pasta, I can say that there was an issue somewhere because my dish definately had gluten in it. It was very loud and it was difficult to hear our server. Also don't get the caprese salad.
- Went the extra mile...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/18/2014...when I informed them I had clients coming with me. I have eaten here many times (I work across the street) and it is always top notch, but they really made sure the evening was flawless when I needed them to. My thanks to the entire staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeafoodJohnDined on 6/15/2014Squid ink pasta was perfect. Could eat it every night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT!!BillVIPDined on 6/9/2014The Chef's tasting pre-fixe dinner with wine pairing was phenomenal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally blown away...JayDinesOutDined on 6/7/2014Let me just say that we go out ALOT and have quite a bit of experience in the Boston restaurant scene but somehow had never been to Lucca before. What a mistake on our part. We had a great time! The bar was a bit crowded but they were kind enough to accommodate us and seat us early. Service was spot on; professional but still personable. Food was pretty much perfect. If you go (and you should) talk to Joe he's the manager and resident wine guru. He recommended 2 fantastic wine pairings (of which we probably had a bit too much because it was so delicious) and had us laughing all night long. We will definitely be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner before the Pops!MarlenCDined on 6/6/2014We had a great time and a great meal - a bit pricey - but its a fabulous downtown Boston location with excellent food so that comes with the territorySpecial Features:
- Naples1Naples1VIPDined on 6/6/2014It was a fabulous pre Pops experience The food, the service, the wine - all perfect! Highly recommend for the diner who enjoys the lighter side of exceptional dining Had a bottle of wine from my region of Italy that you do not see at many local restaurants Superb Top chef should have selected this location for restaurant wars Nice settingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvtowineDined on 6/5/2014Visiting Boston's back bay and found Lucca to be the best restaurant we've experienced. The perfect ambiance for good conversation over an excellent Italian dinner,Special Features:
- Loved it ....and we are going backBostonloverDined on 6/5/2014We were there with family last week and have already made reservations to celebrate a birthday there in a few weeks. The food is excellent and the ambiance is one of elegance. The food is innovative, fresh and beautifully presented.Special Features:
- As nice as expectedTonyBDined on 6/3/2014We took my colleague and his wife from Copenhagen who were in town (staying at the Sheraton) to dinner at Lucca. To avoid the hassle of going into the North End we decided on Lucca Back Bay and had a wonderful dinner. The food and service were outstanding and while it was a bit noisy we still enjoyed our conversation. My wife and I had eaten there before and our (high) expectations were easily met.Special Features:
- Fancy ItalianFromBermudaDined on 5/31/2014This restaurant was high class Italian; excellent food, but I couldn't eat it on a regular basis, it's a special treat menu for me. Beautiful home made pasta, could taste the truffle oil in my dish, was good but don't expect your typical lasagna or spaghetti meatball dish; it's quite a few notches above the norm. I.e. This is your fancy food menu, not your comfort food style! Both have their pro's it's just what are you in the mood for!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AtlantaLighterDined on 5/30/2014If you're staying at the Marriott Copley, you are only a few steps down the street to the Italian restaurant. Nice décor and great service. We were a group of seven and everyone seemed to enjoy the food they ordered. It was a little pricey, but assume this is typical for the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining lateFionaVIPDined on 5/28/2014We arrived at 9:15 and the place was still packed and the noise level was quite high. The food was good and our waitress was very pleasant. The only difficulty we had was talking and being heard with each other. It would have been nice - there were 8 of us - if we had a round table as conversation would have been alot easier. The restaurant was lovely tho.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceLovegoodfoodDined on 5/17/2014We had a reservation on graduation weekend and our party grew to 8 vs the 6 we had booked months in advance. Joe was so helpful and accommodating in trying to get a table large enough. The dinner was excellent and we had a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy treat before the symphony.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/14/2014Lucca's was a yummy treat before the symphony. An oasis in the Copley/Prudential area. Have been twice on the early side of weekday evenings. Will definitely go again..Special Features:
- Good food, good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2014No negatives here. Decent food, solicitous service. Sometimes it took a few minutes longer than I would have liked for the waiter to come back to our table, but that's it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/9/2014Fantastic food! The rigatoni was superb! The staff was amazing and the General Manager James Dimartino will ensure you have a special evening. We will certainly be return (and often!)Special Features:
- Surprisingly unevenHonoratusVIPDined on 5/9/2014Lucca has been around a while, and I have enjoyed some meals there previously. Something was clearly off during the latest visit, however. We were seated promptly, but no one brought water even though my wife requested it three times from our waiter (who simply said he had asked for it to be brought - talk about a "not my job" attitude!). When our companions joined us ten minutes after we sat down, no menus were brought for them. Gaps in service occurred at several other points. Compounding this, while most of the plates were very good, the redfish was quite disappointing - mushy and tasteless. I'm pretty sure it wasn't redfish. Lucca needs to get back to basics on its service and offerings if it is going to justify $30+ entrees.
- Busy area but great foodSmroseerDined on 5/3/2014My wife and I met our son here for dinner. The oyster appitizer was unbelievable. Worth going back for just for that. Pasta dishes were all great as well. We will go back.Special Features:
- marjoVIPDined on 5/3/2014The food was excellent as usual and the service was good. The wine list is still on the high side to say the least but they do have many choices by the glass and a great cocktail list. Only problem we had was a great description of the "special" for the night which we ordered - But, they were out of it at 7PM on Saturday night! Also ordered the Duck Confit which they also were out of - Waiter should let you know what is/is not available BEFORE taking orders. Otherwise it was a very nice meal!I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant but could be bettertheatermomDined on 5/3/2014The food is just okay, but the service is good and the room is comfortable. I've been twice, before and after shows at the theater, because it's within walking distance. The flavors in the food tends toward bland or sweet, except for one pasta dish that was too spicy-and spice level not mentioned in menu description. The dessert menu was a disappointment both times--heavy on cream/milk based stuff, and gelato/sorbet flavors unappealing ("cookies and cream" but no chocolate?). Next time I see a show, I'll probably try a different place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/2/2014The food was fantastic! And the service was there without being intrusive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 799 reviews are from the Lucca Back Bay reviews archive.
- Excellent Back Bay Italian choice!!RamboneDined on 4/30/2014Large group of six people. Nice wine list, excellent cocktails, tasty entrees amidst noisy room. But we will had different dishes and several bottles of wine. Great time had by all. No complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good but too expensiveRossDined on 4/27/2014Very good, totally different from their NEnd restaurant. Too expensive given other great options at same price point.Special Features: