711 Grant Street
Denver, CO 80203Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lucadenver.com/
- Phone: (303) 832-6600
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Frank Bonanno
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Luca D'Italia can accommodate parties up to 18 guests in a semi-private dining room. Restaurant buyouts are available for parties up to 65. Please contact our event coordinator for details.
- Private Party Contact: Emily Schwartz 3035251702x
A word from Luca
Chef Frank Bonanno dug into his Sicilian heritage and east coast roots to create this authentic Italian Eatery. Brightly painted walls and contemporary art create an upscale, urban feel at Luca, where knowledgeable servers quickly meet your needs and engage easily in conversation about a menu that changes monthly. Luca has amazing personal touches from the daily made breads and pastas to the meats and cheeses that are cured in house, to the charcoal drawing of Bonanno’s son (and the restaurant’s namesake) that hangs in the dining room. Luca is colorful, lively, and tasty; the menu is designed for gluttonous abandon. It’s not your ordinary pile-of-pasta-and-sauce Italian joint; it’s the real (and tasty) deal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Luca reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (78)special occasion (62)notable wine list (54)romantic (52)neighborhood gem (47)good for groups (13)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Dinner with good friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2014The fusilli with truffle cream and the bolognese sauce were spot on. The Duck was the best I have had in years. The boat was also really good. Save room for the date bread pudding dessert. The wine recommendation was also outstanding and did not push us towards the more expensive choices. Best dinner out in Denver in the last year for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatLucaVIPDined on 11/21/2014Finally tried Luca. Can't wait to go back. Perfect pasta. Delicious everything. 10/10Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another amazing meal! Start to finish!ZoeSDined on 11/14/2014From the moment we sat down (and black napkins replaced the white setting to match our clothes) our evening meal was terrific. Our waiter was invisible when needed and right there when needed. We didn't feel rushed at all. We shared the salumi platter (which was wonderful as it is what Chef Bonanno is known for. We shared entree' sized portions of two pasta dishes and a salad. Seems pretty straightforward but it was elevated by the fact the food is just that good we had to and couldn't just keep it to ourselves. What a treat to have persimmon as well... a little lagniappe for our special occasion and we are hooked! Thanks for a great meal with impeccable service. We were treated to five star food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LUCA Rocks!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/12/2014Had dinner at LUCA with a couple of friends and had an outstanding meal with great service. The restaurant was comfortable with a very warm ambiance. I highly recommend LUCA!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting menuReviewerVIPDined on 11/8/2014Solid throughout. No misses. Some outstanding dishes, like the potato and leek tortelloni in a butter sauce with cured egg yolk and speck and the seared scallop with Fresno chile and apple sugo. Everything else was very good and artfully presented. Well-paced meal with outstanding service team. Did not try the wine pairings, but the list was excellent.Special Features:
- First experience at Luca! Loved it, but.....TamiDined on 11/7/2014I visited Luca with my daughter and son for his 14th birthday! I wanted to introduce him to fine dining. We were not disappointed! The food was wonderful from beginning to end! We had the calamari, arugula salads and everyone got steak. My daughter wanted the Mai-Mai, but we were told you were out of it. The atmosphere was very nice and everyone around us were enjoying themselves. My son had a wonderful birthday evening and LOVED his steak! Chelsea, your hostess is awesome! I spoke to her once before coming in to ask a few questions. She was very professional, knowledgeable and friendly. I received an email and a call from Chelsea to confirm my reservation, which was impressive. It was nice to have valet parking available, but would also have been nice to have been able to park myself in a lot close by. I hope my feedback is appreciated!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/29/2014Very good! The buratta small plate was my favorite.Special Features:
- Italian at its FinestMikeMVIPDined on 10/28/2014What a wonderful find! Right from the start the food was impressive. The burratta was superb as was the sliced meat selection. The pastas are a must with something for everyone's palate. The entrees were exceptional especially the duck duo. This isn't a red sauce meatball and spagetti Italian, but fine dining Italian. Will be back soon!Special Features:
- Great foodCajhVIPDined on 10/24/2014Food and service are consistently good. The sommelier is very knowledgable about the wines.Special Features:
- mostly fluff1degreeDined on 10/18/2014I love classic french. It's food that has passed the test of time. Unfortunately, if you are not eating with your eyes, like me, this restaurant lacks classic great flavors. The food is absolutely gorgeous. However, more thought was put into presentation than taste. Beef cheek ragu paired with a NY strip. Really? Well it doesn't work. Not the way food should taste in great restaurants. I enjoyed the pasta with mushrooms, although the portion was small and more sauce would have improved the dish. Outstanding service.
- Luca a findOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/14/2014The food was terrific and the service was excellent. A real find and want to return.Special Features:
- Our special occasion favoriteFitforFoodieVIPDined on 10/11/2014Since we started having a weekly "date night" eight months ago, we have had dinner at 36 different Denver restaurants. We have only re-visited two of those restaurants: one is our casual, good-food, reasonably priced favorite (we've been there three times); and Luca, where we have now had two outstanding dinners. We were warmly greeted at the door, given our choice of tables at which to dine, visited by the sommelier -- who recommended an excellent wine -- and waited on by a succession of friendly unobtrusive servers. PLUS our dinners were absolutely delicious. Needless to say, we will be back.Special Features:
- FineStanLVIPDined on 10/10/2014Luca is as good as any Italian available in Denver. Compares favorably with Panzano or Venice. Casual comfortable setting, excellent service, an exceptional Italian wine list (Jim is very helpful as a sommelier), elegant but not-too-rich preparations. It is a special occasion place that enhances the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceBeBeDined on 10/10/2014Food was great. Service was terrible. Especially after spending $300.00 before tip. Nice waitress, BUT been nice if she would have come by and checked on us more and especially ask us how our meal was! NEVER asked. Had to ask for water refills at times and to pour more wine in our glasses from the bottle we ordered.Special Features:
- AmazingBMAFVIPDined on 10/4/2014Most amazing meal i've had in a long time! We will absolutely go back. Best Burratta in Denver !Special Features:
- Not accommodating.JessicaDined on 10/2/2014We were disappointed that the entire table had to do the Tasting menu, however one diner had a shellfish allergy, and we were told the chef would make no substitutions for that one item, for that one person. Our waitperson seemed haughty about it all. We normally love Luca, but not that night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnJohnDined on 9/27/2014Food was great but seems like our server forgot about us halfway through the meal. Took forever to bring our second round of drinks. They acknowledged that they forgot and accordingly provided them free of charge - very apologetic and cool about it.Special Features:
- One of the best in DenverMC30Dined on 9/25/2014Best tasting menu that I've ever had made great by knowledgable and fun wait staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A really great dinnerKrisVIPDined on 9/19/2014My husband really enjoyed the wild boar and I had 2 small pastas, because I couldn't make up my mind!! Both were delicious! Also had a great wine recommended by our server!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food,adequate experienceNew2DenDined on 9/12/2014The food was delicious and well prepared. Not what I expected for an Italian restaurant but very tasty. Extensive, high end wine list. Server was abrupt and inattentive and made us feel not welcomed. We only saw him once after taking our order. Apparently only those who order expensive wines get service. Ironically, the sommelier was very gracious and attentive. The ambiance was also not very pleasant with harsh lights awkwardly placed and glaring in my eyes. It was supposed to be a special birthday dinner but I won't rush back.Special Features:
- O.K.r2d2Dined on 9/11/2014Foods good but they stabbed us $24 for a little larger $12 pasta dish. It's no Venice!
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Nothing was terribly awful, but nothing was really terribly good either. After hearing such good things about this restaurant for so long, we left wondering what the hype is all about.
- Things have changedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/5/2014We dined here a year ago and both agreed it was the best restaurant in Denver. We went on Friday night and things are different. The food was still really really good.....but it wasn't "best restaurant in Denver" good anymore. Twice, our wine pairings didn't come until 4-5 minutes after the chefs plate was served......quite a long time when you are trying to enjoy why a wine was selected for each course and enjoy them together. We were also quite confused by the the ambience. The music was loud. And it shifted from The XX to Michael Jackson to something else very random. We told our server and he said they were trying different things with the music and appreciated the feedback. I will go back someday, but not for a while.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just perfectAmadeDined on 8/29/2014I haven't been to Luca in years and it was really fun to get a group together to go for restaurant week. We were all really pleased with the restaurant week options (some restaurants tend to skimp). We had fabulous wine with dinner and the service was spectacular! Great music as well.Special Features:
- Spend on Fabulous Pasta & WineAnalyticalFoodieDined on 8/29/2014We went here for restaurant week and it's definitely one of Denver's finer and more expensive restaurants. It was a great pick, but the antipasti and desserts were nothing to write home about and at this price point borderline disappointing. Secondi was very nice but at regular price I am not sure I would have felt it was worth it. However the pasta was the best in Denver so far and the wine was lovely and reasonable so when I return that's what my dollars will go into. If it's special night with extra dough to throw around... maybe also split a Secondi. One final tip, the bread is great, but they don't offer seconds, so save some up for dipping in their lovely sauces...Special Features:
- demsumDined on 8/29/2014The staff was accommodating and friendly, even with a group of 8 twenty-somethings there only for restaurant week. The food was DELICIOUS, even if I could only afford it during this promo time. We weren't rushed at all, and the 2.5 hour meal flew by. Would be a great date-spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice evening with good foodDaveDined on 8/29/2014Enjoyed grilled Caesar salad, swordfish, and a pasta dish. Nice service, perfectly cooked fish, lovely presentation. My beef: I thought some dishes were a bit salty. Not badly so, but I noticed. The foccacia and breadsticks both were salty enough that I stopped eating them (ciabatta was fabulous!), and then the sides that accompanied the swordfish were also noticeably salty. Could it be that I needed a glass of wine, and that would have balanced things out? Maybe - I had a gin before dinner and opted for nothing more. Still, I enjoy seasonings on and in food, and just seemed a bit much. To be fair, my wife did not say the same, so who knows? I'd definitely go back, but would ask the kitchen to take it easy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RichardDined on 8/29/2014A wonderful bargain for Denver Food Week! 3 fantastic Italian courses for $40 can't be beat! Great service, lovely ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014One of the best Restaurant Week dinners I have had in my many years of participating in it. We ordered one of each menu item and were not disappointed in the food, service or ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Restaurant Week mealEmmaloohooDined on 8/29/2014We enjoyed our Restaurant Week experience at Luca. The food was good, the service was friendly, and the atmosphere was nice. It wasn't quite as good as non-RW times, of course, as the food is necessarily more standardized, but it was a great deal, and we got a lot of food for our $30/person!Special Features:
- Excellent food, service...mehintomysticDined on 8/28/2014We have always loved the food at Luca D'Italia. Our dinner was excellent as always but the wait staff was not up to its excellent reputation. Perhaps Restaurant Week had worn them out a bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Visitsgbowers333Dined on 8/26/2014Luca has always been a bit out of my budget, so when they were listed on the Restaurant Week list I went berserk and immediately made a reservation! It did not disappoint. Jordan our server was fabulous. The meal and specialty cocktails were just heavenly. A night to remember!Special Features:
- Nice FindjesijamsVIPDined on 8/23/2014We have always wanted to try dinner here and it was very nice. Plates were not over-flowing, which I like. Good quality food, nicely prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehdiscerningdinerVIPDined on 8/23/2014We dined there the first night of restaurant week. The menu sounded delicious -- the reality, less so. I started with the melon soup. It was nice enough, but very one note. The second course, the amatriciana, was a two bite spaghetti in red sauce. The braised pork shoulder was tender and a little greasy, and again did not have any exciting or complex flavorings. Overall a very average meal, from what seems to me an overrated restaurant :(
- Great food, stilted localeelmoVIPDined on 8/23/2014Decor seems dated and place a little stilted but food was very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceMmmDel6662VIPDined on 8/22/2014Staff is so stuck up here. Bad service. Never once asked how the meal was. Music was obnoxious and sounded like someone was screaming (more like rap music for an Italian place?) . Just bad. Food was still good but you have to deal with the staff in order to eat it unfortunately.
- Great foodChicagoMikeDined on 8/21/2014The staff was the best. Every plate served and attention to the smallest of details. We waited for nothing at Luca and I'll be back for more. So many great things to choose from and all great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Chef yet!CaninekidsVIPDined on 8/9/2014We came for my husband's birthday...because where else would we go? Luca has been great for years, but we think Eric is the best Chef yet! Flavors are interesting and innovative, but not overpowering. And the food is incredibly fresh and high quality, and the service is always top notch. If you have not tried this place, you are missing one of the great restaurants in Denver.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnneversaryJakeDined on 8/8/2014The food and most of the wait staff were amazing overall great atmosphere for special nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014Knowlegable wait staff, excellent wine Stewart ands terrific food!Special Features: