711 Grant Street
Denver, CO 80203Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lucadenver.com/
- Phone: 3038326600x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Frank Bonanno
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Luca D'Italia can accommodate parties up to 18 guests in a semi-private dining room. Restaurant buyouts are available for parties up to 65. Please contact our event coordinator for details.
- Private Party Contact: Emily Schwartz 3035251702x
A word from Luca
Chef Frank Bonanno dug into his Sicilian heritage and east coast roots to create this authentic Italian Eatery. Brightly painted walls and contemporary art create an upscale, urban feel at Luca, where knowledgeable servers quickly meet your needs and engage easily in conversation about a menu that changes monthly. Luca has amazing personal touches from the daily made breads and pastas to the meats and cheeses that are cured in house, to the charcoal drawing of Bonanno’s son (and the restaurant’s namesake) that hangs in the dining room. Luca is colorful, lively, and tasty; the menu is designed for gluttonous abandon. It’s not your ordinary pile-of-pasta-and-sauce Italian joint; it’s the real (and tasty) deal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Luca reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (76)fit for foodies (74)romantic (61)notable wine list (57)neighborhood gem (41)good for groups (12)hot spot (9)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Good food,adequate experienceNew2DenDined on 9/12/2014The food was delicious and well prepared. Not what I expected for an Italian restaurant but very tasty. Extensive, high end wine list. Server was abrupt and inattentive and made us feel not welcomed. We only saw him once after taking our order. Apparently only those who order expensive wines get service. Ironically, the sommelier was very gracious and attentive. The ambiance was also not very pleasant with harsh lights awkwardly placed and glaring in my eyes. It was supposed to be a special birthday dinner but I won't rush back.Special Features:
- O.K.r2d2Dined on 9/11/2014Foods good but they stabbed us $24 for a little larger $12 pasta dish. It's no Venice!
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Nothing was terribly awful, but nothing was really terribly good either. After hearing such good things about this restaurant for so long, we left wondering what the hype is all about.
- Things have changedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/5/2014We dined here a year ago and both agreed it was the best restaurant in Denver. We went on Friday night and things are different. The food was still really really good.....but it wasn't "best restaurant in Denver" good anymore. Twice, our wine pairings didn't come until 4-5 minutes after the chefs plate was served......quite a long time when you are trying to enjoy why a wine was selected for each course and enjoy them together. We were also quite confused by the the ambience. The music was loud. And it shifted from The XX to Michael Jackson to something else very random. We told our server and he said they were trying different things with the music and appreciated the feedback. I will go back someday, but not for a while.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just perfectAmadeDined on 8/29/2014I haven't been to Luca in years and it was really fun to get a group together to go for restaurant week. We were all really pleased with the restaurant week options (some restaurants tend to skimp). We had fabulous wine with dinner and the service was spectacular! Great music as well.Special Features:
- Spend on Fabulous Pasta & WineAnalyticalFoodieDined on 8/29/2014We went here for restaurant week and it's definitely one of Denver's finer and more expensive restaurants. It was a great pick, but the antipasti and desserts were nothing to write home about and at this price point borderline disappointing. Secondi was very nice but at regular price I am not sure I would have felt it was worth it. However the pasta was the best in Denver so far and the wine was lovely and reasonable so when I return that's what my dollars will go into. If it's special night with extra dough to throw around... maybe also split a Secondi. One final tip, the bread is great, but they don't offer seconds, so save some up for dipping in their lovely sauces...Special Features:
- demsumDined on 8/29/2014The staff was accommodating and friendly, even with a group of 8 twenty-somethings there only for restaurant week. The food was DELICIOUS, even if I could only afford it during this promo time. We weren't rushed at all, and the 2.5 hour meal flew by. Would be a great date-spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice evening with good foodDaveDined on 8/29/2014Enjoyed grilled Caesar salad, swordfish, and a pasta dish. Nice service, perfectly cooked fish, lovely presentation. My beef: I thought some dishes were a bit salty. Not badly so, but I noticed. The foccacia and breadsticks both were salty enough that I stopped eating them (ciabatta was fabulous!), and then the sides that accompanied the swordfish were also noticeably salty. Could it be that I needed a glass of wine, and that would have balanced things out? Maybe - I had a gin before dinner and opted for nothing more. Still, I enjoy seasonings on and in food, and just seemed a bit much. To be fair, my wife did not say the same, so who knows? I'd definitely go back, but would ask the kitchen to take it easy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RichardDined on 8/29/2014A wonderful bargain for Denver Food Week! 3 fantastic Italian courses for $40 can't be beat! Great service, lovely ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014One of the best Restaurant Week dinners I have had in my many years of participating in it. We ordered one of each menu item and were not disappointed in the food, service or ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Restaurant Week mealEmmaloohooDined on 8/29/2014We enjoyed our Restaurant Week experience at Luca. The food was good, the service was friendly, and the atmosphere was nice. It wasn't quite as good as non-RW times, of course, as the food is necessarily more standardized, but it was a great deal, and we got a lot of food for our $30/person!Special Features:
- Excellent food, service...mehintomysticDined on 8/28/2014We have always loved the food at Luca D'Italia. Our dinner was excellent as always but the wait staff was not up to its excellent reputation. Perhaps Restaurant Week had worn them out a bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Visitsgbowers333Dined on 8/26/2014Luca has always been a bit out of my budget, so when they were listed on the Restaurant Week list I went berserk and immediately made a reservation! It did not disappoint. Jordan our server was fabulous. The meal and specialty cocktails were just heavenly. A night to remember!Special Features:
- Nice FindjesijamsVIPDined on 8/23/2014We have always wanted to try dinner here and it was very nice. Plates were not over-flowing, which I like. Good quality food, nicely prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehdiscerningdinerVIPDined on 8/23/2014We dined there the first night of restaurant week. The menu sounded delicious -- the reality, less so. I started with the melon soup. It was nice enough, but very one note. The second course, the amatriciana, was a two bite spaghetti in red sauce. The braised pork shoulder was tender and a little greasy, and again did not have any exciting or complex flavorings. Overall a very average meal, from what seems to me an overrated restaurant :(
- Great food, stilted localeelmoVIPDined on 8/23/2014Decor seems dated and place a little stilted but food was very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceMmmDel6662VIPDined on 8/22/2014Staff is so stuck up here. Bad service. Never once asked how the meal was. Music was obnoxious and sounded like someone was screaming (more like rap music for an Italian place?) . Just bad. Food was still good but you have to deal with the staff in order to eat it unfortunately.
- Great foodChicagoMikeDined on 8/21/2014The staff was the best. Every plate served and attention to the smallest of details. We waited for nothing at Luca and I'll be back for more. So many great things to choose from and all great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Chef yet!CaninekidsVIPDined on 8/9/2014We came for my husband's birthday...because where else would we go? Luca has been great for years, but we think Eric is the best Chef yet! Flavors are interesting and innovative, but not overpowering. And the food is incredibly fresh and high quality, and the service is always top notch. If you have not tried this place, you are missing one of the great restaurants in Denver.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnneversaryJakeDined on 8/8/2014The food and most of the wait staff were amazing overall great atmosphere for special nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014Knowlegable wait staff, excellent wine Stewart ands terrific food!Special Features:
- Still our favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2014Consistently great food and service. We've been coming here for over 8 years and keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedWish4betterDined on 8/2/2014Have enjoyed before but this time the food was just ok & over-priced. Annoying that add a tip for 6 people then made no mention. Our fault to not notice but felt inappropriate when everything already felt over-priced.Special Features:
- Top Notching Dining in DenverdollyfoodDined on 8/2/2014The menu is innovative and DELICIOUS, the service is excellent and the atmosphere inviting. A truly outstanding dining experience.Special Features:
- Great Dinner and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/1/2014The service was absolutely exceptional. From the moment we arrived to the completion of the meal, the staff provided great service and made every effort to ensure a memorable experience. The food was outstanding as well. It was just a great experience and it was clear that the service team were truly professionals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like going to ItalyskiingsamDined on 7/29/2014It is very special. Jim's presentation of the wines are excellent and so is the wine. Food and special care is always top knotch.Special Features:
- Birthday dinner!mangiaVIPDined on 7/29/2014We had a very lovely birthday dinner with family and enjoyed the entire evening. A little pricey for a casual Saturday night but for a special occasion it was perfect.Special Features:
- Absolutely Wonderful!MichiganiansDined on 7/26/2014My husband and I LOVED our dinner at Luca D'Italia -- fantastic service by a lead waiter and the team, fresh and delicious food and wonderful ambiance. We're from out of state, and discovered the restaurant through a list of top 25 Denver restaurants. It delivered more than we could have imagined!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelygmfurDined on 7/25/2014Lovely spot for wine and dinner. The food is excellent and the service is equally wonderful. It is one of those places that have long term patrons that all the staff knows. That says something about a place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine assistamceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/25/2014Best sommelier in the business. Always very helpful and accurate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/24/2014I was disappointed I must say. Place was practically empty on a Thursday evening.. Food was good,not great Service was great. You can get many better meals elsewhere in town at lower costs.
- Nice Celebratory DinnerFischyDined on 7/23/2014My work colleagues and I met up at Luca D'Italia to celebrate. Luckily they do have complementary valet otherwise parking would be difficult. We were promptly seated and given many recommendations on items on the menu. Wait staff was informative and friendly, food was delicious, but we did not have room for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top NotchWestminsterJoshDined on 7/19/2014This restaurant was incredible. Our waiter was friendly, timely and very knowledgeable about the food. Speaking of the food, it was amazing! There were four of us and we all did the 4-course tasting. We ended up getting to sample nearly the entire menu and there wasn't a single dish that didn't taste incredible. The food presentation is quite impressive as well. The wine pairing was skillfully customized just for us rather than a standard pairing for each dish. The restaurant is certainly on the expensive side, but I think it was well worth the food, wine and service. Hands down one of the best restaurants I've been to in Denver!Special Features:
- LuvfoodDined on 7/18/2014If was easy to get a reservation, the staff were friendly and attentive. The menu was explained in great detail, and the service prompt. I left my credit card there and they called me within 10 mi utes so I was able to go right back and get itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedDavidSDined on 7/18/2014Food is fine but this place is way, way overpriced
- DJT16Dined on 7/16/2014We had an early reservation midweek and since we were there last they have opened up the front windows on the side we were seated. The traffic noise especially until rush hour was over was not pleasant and put us off. We can't figure out why they would open it up like that. One of the reasons we go to Luca is for the quiet ambience. We may have to make it a winter favorite.Special Features:
- Used to be greatLaneDined on 7/12/2014Luca has gone down hill considerably. Since the change in chefs, the quality of the food has decreased to the point where we will not return again. Save your money and go elsewhere.
- Luca reviewTinman3012Dined on 7/12/2014Food was high quality but my gosh there was a lot of salt in it. The next morning my wife and I had a Miralax moment from all the sodium in the food. Service seemed to be just about right.Special Features:
- Amazing!andrewawDined on 7/11/2014Fantastic all the around. Celebrated our anniversary and couldn't have been better. Highly recommend 4 course meal with wine pairings.Special Features:
- Delicious, yet very quiet.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/10/2014I really enjoyed my recent birthday dinner at Luca... fabulous food, though a bit on the pricey side. The quality couldn't be much better. Fresh breads with rosemary lardo spread, an amuse bouche, the freshest of pasta, perfectly-prepared fish, and a sweet bite at the end of the meal. Very classy all around. But even though we had an early dinner (gotta get home to put the kids to bed), I couldn't help but worry about the future of this restaurant. There were 2 of us diners, and at least a staff of 8-10 serving us. By the time we left (an hour and a half later) there were only 3 additional patrons. Perhaps the expense and buttoned-down decor/setting is off-putting to most people. I love the food, but it might be time for a Luca refresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.