2020 Lawrence St
Denver, CO 80205Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lower48kitchen.com/
- Phone: 3039420262x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00 - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Vegetarian / Vegan, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Alexander Figura
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Service Bar is our lounge next door.
A word from Lower48 Kitchen
Lower48 is a Contemporary American restaurant located in the heart of downtown Denver on the corner of 21st street and Lawrence. Our menu changes daily and we are inspired by regional ingredients and culinary traditions. We embrace natural preserving techniques, artisan breads, heritage breeds, heirloom vegetables, and house-made pastas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Lower48 Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Downtown / LoDo ›
Lower48 Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (84)special occasion (47)neighborhood gem (32)hot spot (30)romantic (25)notable wine list (22)good for groups (18)late-night find (11)vibrant bar scene (10)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Well doneSanFranDined on 10/18/2014This was our first time to lower 48 and we were wowed from the moment we arrived. The owner was present and ever moved from the kitchen to the front of the house was calculated. Try to sit at the bar, or request a table near the kitchen, to watch the culinary team at work. You will be able to see first hand what makes this group special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealGrrizzDined on 10/18/2014All the food was amazing and delicious, server was really knowledgeable about the ingredients and preparations!Special Features:
- DisappointedHappyEaterVIPDined on 10/16/2014I had heard mixed reviews about Lower48 but more good than bad so I wanted to judge for myself. My husband and I invited another couple. While we really enjoyed the ambiance and service we were very disappointed in the food. It's not that there was any one thing where the kitchen made a mistake (i.e., everything was cooked perfectly so that wasn't the issue). Rather, the flavor profiles just weren't very good and definitely not worth returning to have again for any of the four of us.
- Favorite new restaurantCatLeeCDined on 10/15/2014Love this new Denver gem. Best lamb I've ever had, brussel sprouts were so delicious. Great drinks and wine selection, awesome service and I loved the overall ambiance of the restaurant. I'll be back!Special Features:
- Don't Miss this AMAZING experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/11/2014Lower 48 was a treat and everything we tasted was truly beyond our expectation. The flavors and presentation were so detailed and special. We were able to sit at the counter and watch as the chefs worked. They were focused, calm and it was just great to see each plate come together masterfully. We cannot wait to come back! Wish they were in Chicago (our hometown) too!Special Features:
- Fantastic Chef's barJJStevensDined on 10/8/2014We sat at the bar and enjoyed watching the chefs work. Our food came out paced very nicely and we were well taken care of by our waitress.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/2/2014As they say, the proof is in the eating. Top drawer service, presentation, and of course food.Special Features:
- AMAZING!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/1/2014The food was beyond compare! Every ingredient was highest quality prepared thoughtfully and perfectly. I have never had such skillfully prepared food in all my life. Flavors I thought about later. Truly amazing. Our waiter was extremely knowledgeable and attentive. She made absolutely perfect wine recommendations. The pacing for our dishes was graceful and unhurried. Pricey and completely worth it. I am already making plans to go back.Special Features:
- Special kitchen experience.atomicDined on 9/27/2014We went for our anniversary, always searching for novel but fabulous food. We sat at the kitchen"bar", we were totally entertained and each course was wonderful. Fresh seasonal ingredients and doting service. In a word- LOVELY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely will be coming backBaileyDined on 9/26/2014We sat at the chef's counter and would definitely recommend. Small bites are excellent, small plates also very well done. Menu changes weekly. Staff are very focused and deliver great service. Cocktails were well priced and excellent, wine list isn't extensive but well chosen and also reasonable for the quality. They understand food, quality and service.Special Features:
- Left something to be desiredOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/20/2014I was disappointed having read the credentials of the chef. Our main complain is how limited the menu was. The "each" dishes are minute and really cannot be shared. There were exceedingly few choices for the "small plates" and that was virtually it since the large plates were really humongous and to be consumed by at least 4 people (all of whom must eat meat). I have been to many tapas-style restaurants and this does not compare. We left disappointed and hungry.Special Features:
- Don't skip this place over...RickVIPDined on 9/19/2014Sarah and I search many Denver neighborhoods for a "favorite" place to eat. Near the baseball park downtown has high energy on game night, and the Lower 48 is a great place to dine in that hood. The food presentation and flavor we shared was excellent. The tarragon cream filled beignet appetizer was Sarah's favorite dish Mine was the rabbit sausage pasta - I forget the fancy name they gave it. :-) When looking for great a downtown experience, don't skip the Lower 48.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite food-pairingsyogatoesVIPDined on 9/19/2014It's super to see an innovative restaurant on Denver's food scene. The attention to details is perfect, service impeccable, and food-pairings are spot-on. The unusual combinations are done with restraint--nothing is too-too. Don't worry, one's pet domesticated rabbit is not in danger! (In Europe, rabbit and wild pig are served with legitimacy). This place is an adventure and one will not be disappointed. Yet, the chef is not doing what he does just for the notoriety. The menu is thoughtful and designed with care. If one wants a slab of steak, a baked potato. and lettuce salad, then go to a traditional steakhouse (good for some occasions). If one wants a foodie experience, and to stretch one's imagination, then go to Lower 48.Special Features:
- ToddDined on 9/5/2014We had a table of four on Friday night. The menu is full of bizarre entrée choices, there are more appetizers than entrées & no salads. The appetizers are sold in "eaches" (one piece at a time). We ordered the bone-in ribeye for four people complete with sides. It took over an hour & the sides were so small they could not be shared with four people. They never brought bread to the table & our menus we never picked up. We had a bottle of wine which they kept in a cooler at the bar & we had to ask the waiter each time we wanted to refill our glass. All we wanted was to keep it on ice at the table. The portions were tiny & we left hungry after a three hour dinner. Friendly staff & nice ambiance but strange menu & concept.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/5/2014The food was good but rabbit was on the menu which is disturbing and we didn't know this based on the online menu. We don't want to support restaurants that serve rabbit. Like many families we have a beautiful domesticated pet rabbit. Rabbits are the third most popular pet after cats and dogs. We will not return to Lower48 after this experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dishes but too small.BryanVIPDined on 8/30/2014Filling only with dessert. Otherwise would have left hungry. Intersting and good to try but won't go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with Old FriendsTrigeekDined on 8/30/2014I had scheduled a dinner with old friends and was eating at this restaurant for the first time. Everything was wonderful. We asked the server to pick her favorites and we ate community style. The food and drinks were are an excellent mix of flavors and textures. The noise in the place was great as well. Not loud but you could hear pleasant conversations going on all around you. Nice vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Restaurant week meal dealdebbieDined on 8/29/2014Started at the bar. Bartenders were very knowledgeable and helpful. Nice Happy Hour prices. Our meals were good from restaurant week menu. Also tried Sardine appetizer. That was very good. Overall a good value in A NEW HIP AND TRENDY SPOTSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/27/2014Good food and great atmosphere. Waiter was visibly not happy we were participating in restrauNt week other than that no complaints !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomekeepsDined on 8/27/2014Went here with a friend for 5280 week and the foold selection was great. Everything was delicious!Special Features:
- Restaurant Week Aug 2014mchrDined on 8/26/2014We had the restaurant week menu and managed to taste everything between the two of us. The flavors and presentations were wonderful. The portions weren't huge but we were completely full at the end of the three courses. The staff was appropriately attentive and very helpful with answering questions/making suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ExperienceChicagoanVIPDined on 8/25/2014This was our first time at 48 and really enjoyed it. The staff was accommodating and the food was great. Different ambiance which was a nice change.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014I thought the restaurant was good but not great. I had heard it was fantastic so my expectations were very high but I found the food somewhat bland and not seasoned enough.
- Love the tapas styleNeilAdamMcGinnisVIPDined on 8/23/2014Broccoli Cheese Sandwich- 3/5 Beignet- 4/5 (good but too heavy on filling) Dried Beet Root- 5/5 (extremely tasty despite the name) Gruyere Crisp- 4/5 (good but not great) Muskmelon Soup- 4/5 (tasty) Corn Dog- 4/5 (best version i've ever had) Crispy Chicken Skin- 4/5 (Very good but skin should be crisper) Onion Chips- 4/5 (like a gourmet version of Funyuns) New York Strip- 5/5 (no complaints) Caramelized white chocolate- 4/5 Atmosphere- 4/5 (we sat outside and the view is not great) Service- 5/5Special Features:
- Exciting addition to neighborhoodLDKSVIPDined on 8/22/2014The small bites are fantastic. A wonderful night of food and wine. They change the menu several times a week so you can sense the excitement of the staff each time they share a new dish. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lvgrtfdVIPDined on 8/21/2014I love the creative imagination of this menu and the food is outstanding Flavorful, delicious and very very good. The staff is professional, with just the right amount of attention. Fun personality and helpful when you needed answers. Definitely a top of our list restaurantSpecial Features:
- Best steak ever!SpicyJAMVIPDined on 8/16/2014The ambiance and service were a bit awkward but the food more than compensated for them. The ribeye was unbelievable. Well done Alex, well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UniqueAndreaVIPDined on 8/16/2014Lower48 is fun, different, interesting. What to expect: 3- course dinner. Starting with a variety of small bites - individual (and I mean one bite, maybe two), then you can get your own small-medium plate for an entree OR share one of those and then share one of TWO larger, entrees. The night we went the larger choice was chicken or a rib eye - 2 choices only and too big for one person, just right for two people. What we liked: "small bites" to start. Artistic, nice variety, fun, and all we tried were very good. We each ordered a small/med plate (these were just ok, not great) and then shared the chicken. Chicken was really good - grits not so much. What could improve: Green salad option would be nice. Third entree choice. Try it!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best ChefFatDaddyVIPDined on 8/16/2014The food was awesome. Our waitress was on her game. We've been here many times and hope to go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun inventive foodLucyLila2Dined on 8/15/2014Really good creative food. Great flavor combinations. We had most of the appetizer choices at our table and they were all delicious. We also had the large dish roasted chicken and really enjoyed the "chicken salad" the chef made with the dark meat.Special Features:
- pretty neatdutchyDined on 8/9/2014sat at the chef's bar. Awesome to watch them work! Able to talk to them, very friendly, served by the chefs. Food was always perfect. Lots of attention to detail.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/5/2014This restaurant was absolutely spectacular from start to finish! The chef features a unique mix of flavors that made every dish delicious! I have a gluten allergy and the waitress was very knowledgeable and provided me with a lot of options. If you are a foodie this restaurant is a must visit!Special Features:
- Food was excellent, service slowGr8localVIPDined on 8/2/2014We ordered multiple small plates and shared. The combination if flavors was outstanding. The only item we did not like was the Tuna, which was way over cooked. Our favor tire was the peachy, yogurt and green basil ice cream dessert. Amazing! Our server couldn't have been nicer, but food was very slow to arrive...we were there for 3 hours. Not sure if it was just understaffed that night, it if that is the norm. Portions are small. If you are really hungry, be prepared to order/pay for a lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow, amazing food!AglesterDined on 8/1/2014The food was amazing. The combination of ingredients was superb and imaginative. Will definitely be returning again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not enough food!johnnydogDined on 7/28/2014I am not unwilling to pay up for a good dinner, but if I'm going to do that I want to feel at least like Ive eaten and not need to stop for fast food on the way home! Keep the menu the same, but at least add one or two real meals for hungry people! We'll still eat the delicious "bites" but we'll ALSO order dinner...
- Fabulous FoodOutstandingVIPDined on 7/26/2014Amazing food, especially the small plates. Ambiance improves as the light goes down later in the evening. Service a little odd, but still good.
- Really good!MurphyDined on 7/19/2014After reading some reviews, our group of 4 was a little concerned. However, we found L48 to be an excellent dining venue. The food was artfully created and so delicious. We thought everything we ordered was really good, but we particularly liked the ham from the Each menu and the lamb from the Share menu. The creative desserts were unusual but very tasty. The cocktails, service and total experience was spot on. We will definitely return, sooner than later, I hope.Special Features:
- FINALLY! Denver has a culinary gemsusanVIPDined on 7/18/2014Simply one of the finest restaurants in the country. From our server, Carson, who was attentive, knowledgeable and personable to the bite and share plates - out of this world. Should be number 1 on best new restaurants in Denver. I anticipate we will see it on the 5280 BEST RESTAURANT list in 2015! BRAVO!Special Features:
- Outstanding!!NavArch101Dined on 7/15/2014My wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary with dinner at the Lower48 Kitchen on a weekday night. The dining experience was simply outstanding! We were seated at the chef's table. The staff, including waitress, manager, and chefs, treated us wonderfully. The food itself was incredible. The pacing of the dinner dishes was perfect and the wine pairing incredible. We would not hesitate for a second to return. Our heartiest recommendations for this fine establishment!Special Features:
- Tasty but meagernes4990VIPDined on 7/12/2014This restaurant was disappointing. The menu was extremely limited and the portion sizes left us so unsatisfied we went to another restaurant for dinner and this was after spending a decent amount of money. The melon salad had no more than 3 melon balls and the summer vegetable and grain salad was about 4 tablespoons. Their share menu included one chicken leg. When asked how to share the waiter said to cut it up. The food was delicious, but won't be going back.Special Features: