Lovells of Lake Forest
915 S Waukegan Road
Lake Forest, IL 60045Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Lovells of Lake Forest
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lovellsoflakeforest.com/
- Phone: (847) 234-8013
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jay Lovell Chef/Owner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off Premise Catering for up to 150 people. Rehearsal Dinners, Weddings, Bridal and Baby Showers. Summer picnics and Upscale Pig Roast or just Steaks & Shrimp on the grill. What ever you desire.
- Private Party Facilities: Private Events up to 300 people. Specializing in Corporate Events, Cocktail Receptions, Weddings and Rehearsal.
- Private Party Contact: Faye 8472348043
- Entertainment: Live Music on Friday Nights starting at 8pm. Half price on certain Martinis, all day and all night. Live Music on Saturday Nights starting at 8pm.
A word from Lovells of Lake Forest
Midwestern Steaks and Chops, Dryed Aged and Hand Trimmed on Premise by Chef Lovell. Fresh Seafood from Around the World. Enjoying our Eighth Year Serving the North Shore and Surrounding Communities with Casual Dinning at its Best. "We want to make Lovells a one stop dinning experience in Lake County." Says Chef Lovell. "A Fabulous Steak House Dinner, Cocktails and on the weekends, Live Music in the Captains Quarters. We will wine, dine and entertain you. Relax and enjoy!"Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Lovells of Lake Forest - Best Restaurants in Lake Forest ›
Lovells of Lake Forest reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (55)romantic (31)neighborhood gem (28)fit for foodies (20)notable wine list (18)good for groups (18)great for outdoor dining (13)great for lunch (11)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Great eveningOutstandingVIPDined on 11/22/2014Decided to go to Lovell's at the last minute. What a great decision it was. Jay was an outstanding waiter and our meal was great from start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice restaurantBZRZDined on 11/22/2014An overall pleasant experience. Excellent ambiance, food was excellent, wine was good (though expensive), and the wait staff performed their jobs in a most efficient and non-obtrusive manner. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DinnerFloridagalsdiningoutDined on 11/21/2014My family and I took our son who just graduated from boot camp that day to Lovells at Wake Forest. The food was delicious and the service excellent. It was perfect for a special occasions. My son's meal was on the house courtesy of Capt Lovell. I highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinnerCandyDined on 11/15/2014We went here for a nice birthday dinner. The restaurant was like an elegant old mansion, but cozy. There is a lot of memorabilia of Jim Lovell and Apollo 13. The banquet room upstairs were not being used so we were told we could take a look at them and the pictures. The room had a fireplace and looked like a great place for an event. The food was very tasty especially the homemade rolls and corn chowder. They presented me with a chocolate lava cake birthday dessert! We had great service and cant wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not to returnHonestdinnersDined on 11/10/20141) This is a steak house whose chef doesn't know how to cook steaks as ordered. 2) Valet parking is required and annoying, as the large parking lot is a restricted area, full of cars when the restaurant had fewer than 20 customers. 3) Valet parking turns out to be an advertisement for a home remodeling company as the back of parking ticket contains the company information and their white pick-up truck is parked at the entrance door. 4) Service, while gracious and accommodating, is delivered in such heavily accented English as to require two and three repetitions to ascertain what we would be served.
- Lovell's--Perfect!!NeilDined on 11/8/2014My wife had long wanted to come to Lovell's, so I chose our 27th wedding anniversary to make the date. As I had made reservations, arriving unexpectedly early was not a problem as our table was waiting as were the flowers that I had delivered. Indeed, my wife thought the flowers were part of the decor! The restaurant was crowded but not loud; the atmosphere is a romantic setting; the wait staff are courteous and attentive without being over-bearing and we were not rushed. Our server, Ricardo, was like a good host and the entire staff was as professional as you would want. As a note, the Apollo XIII cocktail---YUMMY! The food = Exceptional; Lovell's = Exceptional' The experience = ExceptionalSpecial Features:
- PIR Navy GraduationPIRGradDined on 11/7/2014We took our son to Lovells after his Navy boot camp graduation. The restaurant was beautiful and the staff was exceptional. I would highly recommend this location to mark any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has changed over timebtLFDined on 10/31/2014We had been to Lovell's a few times and it as become a shell of itself. The ambiance is fine if not a bit noisy. The food is okay but not great, it seems like they are more focused on giving you lot of food versus quality food. The service was not good. Our server would have been better suited in a Denny's restaurant as she would interrupt our meal/conversation and she seemed more interested in turning the table over.Special Features:
- Perfect ChoicecjsnvymomDined on 10/31/2014We were celebrating our sons graduation from boot camp. Everything was perfect from the reservation accomodations to service to the food. Captain Lovell stopping by to meet the new sailor was an added treat!! A definate recommendationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/29/2014I called Lovells to cancel my reservation yesterday but they said they didn't have it. I didn't get a chance to go unfortunately. I gave a star rating since the system required it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always pleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014If my lady and I did not live so far we would frequent Lovells more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedDisappointedDined on 10/11/2014Chicken breast was extremely small portion and salad ordered in addition contained no lettuce.Special Features:
- Good overallgreatdaneDined on 10/6/2014Good place for business dinner. Went there on a Monday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovells is wonderful!DnergeDined on 10/4/2014Lovells continues to be the premier restaurant on the north Shore. The food is excellent, service impeccable and the ambiance is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent MealDiClDined on 10/3/2014Lovells was a wonderful place to celebrate my son's graduation from Navy boot camp. We went for lunch and it was not noisy at all. The service was attentive and friendly. Our appetizers, entrees and desserts was all excellent. Wish I lived in Illinois so I could go there again!Special Features:
- Perfect small town venueTheaterFanaticVIPDined on 10/2/2014Lovell's is what I would consider a "destination" restaurant, and it's so conveniently located for north shore residents who don't want to make the trek to the city. Although I did not opt for meat this round, I noticed my friends' choices were cooked perfectly to temp, including that of one friend who has sent steak back to the kitchen before! I particularly like the layout of Lovell's -- several separate rooms so it's easier to carry on conversations, which seems rare in good restaurants nowadays.Special Features:
- great serviceraretreatsDined on 9/25/2014I have to comment on Ricardo, our server. He could not have been more pleasant or helpful. There was one glitch when I only had a receipt for out tickets to the Citadel which entitled us to a glass of free wine but he handled it. The only thing we did not care for was the parking which was plentiful but they seemed to insist on valet which we did not want to bother with. Pretty pricey place but we knew that and enjoyed the experience for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Fine dining.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/20/2014Fine dining, good menu, excellent service. Water glasses always full. Jim Lovell's son is the owner so there are many interesting photos and pieces of space memorabilia. Only negative was that all our waiters had strong foreign accents and were difficult to understand, but the service was great.Special Features:
- Disappointed and DisgustedfrequentdinerVIPDined on 9/16/2014The asparagus and prosciutto appetizer was gross. It arrived undressed and the prosciutto was so stringy it could not be eaten. The beef stroganoff can only be described as a pile of gelatinous, flavorless glop on over-cooked noodles. It actually tasted of nothing. No amount of salt could help it. Really disgusting and unappetizing. The Mediterranean Village Salad was fresh and delicious. The cognac sauce served with the beef filet was also tasteless. At these prices this place is a bad joke.
- Lovells needs a chefdinneroutDined on 9/13/2014the food was very bland. I had the steak and shrimp and my wife had the seared Halibut. Both dishes were just bland, very little taste. The vibe is like a nursing home... very quiet, avg age is over 70. Service was excellent though.
- Great Night Out With Family169ASLoadDined on 9/12/2014I have been to Lovell' s many times before and have always wanted to take my family with. We decided to go for my brothers and my birthdays. Our group had five people, and the service and food was outstanding. We all had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so greatFromIllinois42VIPDined on 9/12/2014This beautiful restaurant is on the decline chiefly because of the quality of the food (out of five people no one thought food was anything but average, two thought it was less than average ). The noise level on a very busy night was over the top.Special Features:
- Nice place, nice environmentWENDYVIPDined on 9/11/2014Very nice place... service and food quite good. Only complaint after being there twice, takes about 10 minutes before the wait staff comes to table to take drink order.Special Features:
- Special!GoodToGoDined on 8/25/2014Beautiful restaurant and a great place for a quiet romantic dinner! The food was absolutely delicious. Was also a joy to look at all the pictures for CAPT Lovell's adventures and of Apollo 8 and 13. Make sure and visit the downstairs to look at some of his memorbilia on display. Son Jay is an outstanding Chef/Owner!!Special Features:
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/25/2014A fancy fine dining place that's been around for years, yet you never hear anyone talking about it. Took clients there for lunch because one customer was a 'foodie' and it was a good location. Pulled pork, smoked brisket, hamburgers and a marinated chicken breast sandwich? If it was the best marinated chicken sandwich ever made I could understand it, but it was no better than what you could find anywhere else. Was expecting food that was a bit more interesting. Decor is a tired old money mansion-look with brass chandeliers, dark wood tables and chairs. Prices on the salads an sandwiches were $14-15 and there were entrees in the $26 range. It was quiet and worked well for our meeting and I could see going back for that reason.
- Too QuietFood4funDined on 8/23/2014Our first time at Lovell's, and the food did not disappoint. Excellent quality ingredients and delicious salads. We enjoyed the beautiful spaces, with lovely linens, nice china and glassware. But I would suggest eating early unless you like being the last ones in the restaurant. Our reservation was for 7:30 on Saturday night, and there was a nice crowd at that time, but by 8:15-8:30, it was practically empty. Maybe Lake Forest is an early dining town?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meallinarevaDined on 8/16/2014Our server Kevin was exceptional. When I was unsure about which appetizer to order, he asked what entree I was getting, then made his suggestion based on my entrée choice. While there is no outside view to speak of, the interior is very nice and the mural over the bar AMAZING. My husband said the Mt Marilyn(chocolate martini) was the best he's had. My own "splashdown" concoction was outstanding.Special Features:
- average plusbobbyDined on 8/5/2014The overall meal was excellent and the oysters were outstanding but my steak ordered med rare came med well and the potato was not what I ordered. they did offer to replace the steak but everyone else was eating and and I did not want to wait another 20 minutes. The quality of the meat was excellent and I loved the red wine sauce , but over cooked, They did replace the potato quickly. For the prices you Pay you should get it right the first time. Not sure if it was the waiter getting it wrong or the kitchen. Would return and this is not what usually happens at this beautiful restaurant since they are known for their steaks, The others all said their meals were excellent and they all had nights the fish special.Special Features:
- The following 731 reviews are from the Lovells of Lake Forest reviews archive.
- Lovells of Lake Forest a must visitJIMMYBOYDined on 7/28/2014What a great restaurant. I had been there on previous occasions, for both lunch and dinner, but many years ago. Had dinner with out of town guests who had never been there. All entrees were excellent and the service was very good. Will definitely return. Glad to see that everything at the restaurant had remained the same status over the years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My lunch at LovellsDooku1996Dined on 7/28/2014I went to the restaurant Lovell's of Lake Forest because I had a meeting with Jim Lovell! It was seriously one of the greatest restaurants I have ever ate at! All in all I loved the experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TomADined on 7/25/2014dLove this place. Just sorry to know that it will be closing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/21/2014Always a delightful place to meet my friends for a delicious lunch and a relaxing chat. Your staff is pleasant and very efficientSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful outdoor lunch!wjmrVIPDined on 7/18/2014I have been to Lovell's for dinner and greatly enjoyed it. Lunch was new to me. It was relaxing and quite delicious. The service was great and the outdoor tables were far apart and we felt as though we were having a leisurely lunch in someone's yard. I would highly recommend it to anyone!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Business LunchWaltDined on 7/17/2014This is a great spot for a business lunch. The food is excellent and it is quiet enough to speak and be heard. The service is always excellent. I bring customers here often and have never been disapointed.Special Features:
- Out of this world...BankerBobDined on 7/15/2014With an astronaut's name on the door, you might expect something like "Galaxy Pizza" from the movie Toy Story. That would be a terribly wrong assumption. The atmosphere at Lovells was upscale, sophisticated and tasteful; the food was delicious and my business lunch was an absolute success.Special Features:
- We were positively impressedSimoDined on 7/11/2014We went there for our anniversary, but we will be back for sure: great food , good wine selection, personal very attentive , live music was a plus. We will definitely recommend this all our friends. thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- July 9, 2014SunshineDined on 7/9/2014We were a party of two celebrating a Birthday. We did not hear other tables near us; the acoustics was fantastic. Staff was more than attentive, our meal outstanding. Our entire our dining experience was beautiful. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful eveningoneairdaleDined on 7/8/2014We were there to celebrate two events and it could not have been more perfect! I especial appreciated the special vegetarian dish for my son-in-law.Special Features:
- FantasticMSNYCVIPDined on 7/7/2014My first visit to Lovell's and certainly not my last. Excellent all around. Fun decor with memorable and historic artifacts positioned tastefully throughout the large sprawling restaurant. Menu varied and caters to all taste. Refined dining, and yet people comfortable in both formal and casual attair. Service on par with the best restaurants in the city. Food was perfectly prepared and outstanding. I would definitely recommend for any special occasion or for those just desiring a very nice night out.Special Features:
- Lunch with an Astronaut169ASLoadDined on 7/1/2014My fiancee and I have been to Lovell's a few times, but on this occasion we were joined by some friends visiting form out of town. I have always been a huge fan of the space program, and after reading a magazine article I knew I had to go. As I said before my fiancee and I had been to Lovell's in the past and those were all dinner visits. This time we wanted to try lunch. All I can say is that Lovell's has never disappointed. The food, service, and atmosphere are outstanding. We were also lucky enough to meet the owner Astronaut Jim Lovell himself. Such and kind and amazing man. This truly is a great place to go for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.