Love and Salt
317 Manhattan Beach Blvd
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266Neighborhood:
Manhattan Beach / Hermosa Beach
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Love and Salt
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafepierre.com/
- Phone: 3105455252
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Guy Gabriele
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine Bar
A word from Love and Salt
For 30 successful years, Love and Salt has been the benchmark for innovative cuisine and exceptional service in Manhattan Beach, establishing a timeless reputation as the premier dining destination for locals and visitors alike.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Love and Salt reviews from OpenTable diners
- ddddVIPDined on 4/13/2014We went the last night for this wonderful Manhattan Beach institution....should never have closed down :(Special Features:
- Great Last NightMollsDined on 4/13/2014Had no idea this was Pierre's last night but felt lucky to have been there for it. The grilled octopus was incredible, as was the tuna tartare, and the yellow beet salad. Perfect ambience.Special Features:
- Farewell Cafe PierreKNelsonDined on 4/7/2014Thanks for your years of service to MB... Looking forward to to the new digs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It will be closing this monthLAFoodGuyDined on 4/5/2014Wanted to go one last time before it closed this month (april 2014). Reopening in three month as an Italian restaurant. Everything was good except for the steak on the small plates menu. Too tough to eat. Sent it back. Has been better in the past. Put who cares now since it will be closing. Will wait and see what happens next.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gem!StacyDined on 3/28/2014I've loved every meal I've ever had a cafe Pierre and am so bummed that they will be closing only to reopen as yet another Italian restaurant.Special Features:
- Where's Pierre?ChasbeauDined on 3/27/2014This establishment has obviously changed hands since the last time we dined there. While the menu still has some form of the standards from the past, they were not executed at the same high level I previously experienced. The service was perfunctory at best. We do not need to go back!
- Always superb! Never disappointed.KCBQ310Dined on 3/27/2014Always superb! Never disappointed. Service & food were exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChangingrcooDined on 3/23/2014We enjoy this restaurant and quality is high; staff gracious and friendly. We were aware they are closing soon and wonder if this didn't affect the quality of the food this evening. They are closing around mid-April and will re-open as something new. We were told they will have a return to an older menu for a week or two, and return to a french food menu for a week or two before closing. Hope they don't change too much when they reopen as we have found consistent delicious food offerings and love the atmosphere now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keep it on your list!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/20/2014The food was delicious, but very rich! We enjoyed small plates prior to our meal! The portions on the small plates were generous as well! The main course was wonderful and we enjoyed the ambience the restaurant offered! We ate here many years ago and were pleased with our second experience! We hope to return in the future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood excellenceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/15/2014We hadn't been to Cafe Pierre in a long, long time. Although we'd walk by it all the time, when it came time for restaurants, there were so many other, newer, choices in the area. And the perception/recollection from last time was very formal, very French, very fancy. Decided to return for a special occasion, a birthday. Absolutely pleasantly surprised with the menu and the service. Much less formal than I remembered. Love the "small plates", we shared a bunch and then many had that as their main meal. Flavorful and elegantly prepared. Wonderful wine list and very attentive service. We were a party of seven with a variety of appetites/likes, and everyone raved about the food! It was a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was less than desirablePagedDined on 3/8/2014We had reservations for 3 at 8:30pm. At 8:15 the restaurant called and asked where we were. I said minutes away. He said, "We are waiting on you." He said, "Your reservations are at 8:15." When we got to the restaurant I showed him my open table reservation and he didn't acknowledge it, nor did he have a table available. We sat at the bar and at 8:50pm he came up to let us know our table was ready. I said, "No thanks we are sitting at the bar." The bar tender was really good. However the food wasn't. Brussels sprouts tasted like they were cooked over a pack of cigarettes. (I'm not exaggerating) The charcuterie was kind of gross too. The only thing that was decent was the petite filet.
- Excellent Food - Tight SpaceEimajineDined on 3/1/2014I have eaten at Cafe Pierre many times and the food never fails to satisfy. The problem is that over the past several years they have crammed more tables into their small space. My guest had her chair knocked into no less than 12 times by the wait staff and I literally had someone's rear end in my face - yes, her tush touched my face - when she was trying to leave her table. Aside from the general annoyance, it is sad that one can't enjoy dining in such an atmosphere. In years past we used to have dinner, then a cheese course, then dessert, but now I just want to get the heck out of there as soon as possible after dinner. I hope they consider removing the small tables in the center of the dining room.Special Features:
- Every YearbenhereDined on 2/28/2014Every year we go to an event in LA. Our special restaurant during this annual trek is Café Pierre. Food, service, etc is always excellence. Sorry to year that the restaurant will be closing. A real gem.Special Features:
- Not as good as I hopedFanclubVIPDined on 2/21/2014Heard good review from a neighbor so thought we should go before the owner and chef changed the restaurant and menu. The food was pretty good but overpriced considering the limited and not super creative menu. The maître d was unenthusiastic and waitress was inattentive. No one came to ask if we needed drink refills; I had to ask for a second drink but it was totally forgotten until the very end of the meal.
- We had a wonderful evening!PVFoodiesVIPDined on 2/16/2014We had a wonderful evening! We celebrate our anniversaries together with our very close friends every year!!! The ambience was very nice, the food was delicious and the service was impeccable. It made for a perfect evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very loud. Too loud for myOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/15/2014Very loud. Too loud for my taste. Tables are squeezed into a small room area. Air conditioning vents MUST be corrected. Cold air flows directly on to the customers from many locations in the restaurant. Makes for a quite uncomfortable sitting. Many cusyomers forced to wear coats. Worse yet, the server seemed to care more about her needs than ours.
- Consistently great experienceTiffVIPDined on 2/15/2014Cafe Pierre never disappoints. Food is consistently great. We had the filet mignon and loup de mer. Both outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cafe PierredependableDined on 2/14/2014Café Pierre has been a mainstay for special occasions for couples for dinner since it opened. I am sorry to see it closing and re-opening as a different genre. Shouldn't mess with success.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UninspiredOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/13/2014If you're closing, close. We had an average uninspired evening lacking any energy in atmosphere service or food. Food was good and service professional but nothing to write home about. I do wish we'd seen it "in is day" as we are visiting from the east coast. Nothing wrong here just not great.
- Fun local spot!NancyDined on 2/8/2014Five of us had a wonderful dinner at Cafe Pierre last Saturday. While the bar seemed a bit quiet when we first arrived (at 6:45 pm),by half an hour later the whole restaurant was filled and quite energetic. We had a great cheese assortment to start, and then enjoyed arugula salads followed by sea bass for one, salmon, hanger steak, short ribs and steak au poive. All five of us loved our entrees. They brought us a vanilla bread pudding on the house as we were celebrating an anniversary. It was wonderful as well. Service was impeccable!Special Features:
- Sorry Cafe Pierre is closingdinembDined on 2/6/2014I loved Cafe Pierre for years and years. Hope their new concept will be as special and inviting as all their years as Cafe Pierre. I went back for last chance to have my most special entree. Even though it's no longer specifically on the menu, they very willingly prepared it. Manhattan Beach has gotten so drenched with restaurants seemingly all competing for food menus that I call "Fusion Confusion" Cafe Pierre was one of the last great. special occasion, QUIET, great food establishments where you didn't need an " interpreter" to know what will show up on your plate. So sorry this legendary establishment is changing. So much history.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great servicePatiDined on 2/1/2014Our party of 10 got there 5 minutes before out reservation but the restaurant was super full - people would leave their tables! The manager was great problem solver... he put us in a private room upstairs and it was amazing experience. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentBenedicteDined on 2/1/2014The restaurant was too noisy to enjoy a conversation, even though it was only two of us. The host was borderline rude, the food was average and the service just OK. Would not go back.
- Appetizers goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/1/2014We enjoyed our dining experience with the following exceptions: Front of house manager looks like a customer - thought he was waiting with the rest of us waiting to be seated...even though we had reservations we didn't know who the maitre'd was because he dressed even more casually than the customers. Salmon was dry because overcooked. Restaurant ran out of profiteroles on dessert menu by 8:30pm. Pepper steak with pommes frites as well as baked olives/roasted almonds on appetizer menu were excellent. Overall not as good as previous visit last year. Way too noisy...dinner knife was sticky when we were seated and had to ask to have it replaced. All little things but add up when you're spending $150 for two to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go now before it changes...LotsofrestaurantsDined on 1/31/2014So sad this is being "redone" in a few weeks. It was packed when we went. Maybe if more night like that they wont' redo it...
- Way Too Loud InsideJeffDined on 1/24/2014The food and service were good. We were happy with our dinner and wine. However, the restaurant is way too loud. Sound seems to echo inside and it was seriously deafening where we were sitting. We asked to move to another corner of the restaurant and it was only slightly better.
- Don't ChangeAnnetteDined on 1/11/2014Cafe Pierre is changing its format to Italien but it is wonderful just as it is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good array of small platesAndrewsDined on 12/31/2013We came to Cafe Pierre for New Year's Eve and enjoyed a tasty dinner where we selected a variety of "small plates" and a couple of generously sized desserts. It was all very tasty and the service was attentive and excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2013Excellent food, excellent service, attentive just the perfect amount, friendly wait staff, easy to locate and get to....... Café Pierre was an ideal place to go for New Year's Eve. I would definitely go back the next time I was in the Manhattan Beach area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- over priced and mediocre foodtrynewplacesDined on 12/31/2013We went for New Year's Eve. The salads and dessert and the service were very good. The rabbit and the lobster linguini were not.
- Good, but room for improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/27/2013Everyone enjoyed their meal. Service was friendly. Two people in our party ordered the petite filet; one medium, the other medium-well (asking for a little bit of pink). The medium filet was on the rare side of medium, while the medium-well was entirely well done, with no pink left on the meat. The meals were still enjoyable, with nice sauces, but the kitchen is inconsistent in executing the orders.Special Features:
- Food and ambiance OK; great winesOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 12/26/2013Cafe Pierre was once an upscale, white table cloth French bistro with an interesting menu. Now it's bare tabletops and narrower food selections. It has an exceptional wine cellar, but anyone in the mood and of the means to buy a bottle of their Screaming Eagle is going to look elsewhere for better ambience and cuisine.Special Features:
- Past it's primeLAPHILDined on 12/26/2013I've eaten here before and enjoyed it, but the restaurant is now definitely part it's prime. The menu is reduced and prices are up. My favorite dishes are gone. There are much better places to spend your money.
- Try the BarSoBayFoodieVIPDined on 12/9/2013A comfortable setting with a pleasant neighborhood feeling. Have a glass of your favorite wine, excellent cocktail or full meal at the bar, it's very enjoyable. Victor is a most welcoming host!Special Features:
- This my third time at thisCharlieWDined on 12/4/2013This my third time at this restaurant. I live in Newport Beach so it is a bit of a drive, but it is becoming one of my favorites for meeting friends, family and business associates who live and work in LA. Excellent food, casual ambiance and good service. Get a table by the window if you can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything is Fabulous!wheelsDined on 12/1/2013This was my second visit to Cafe a Pierre and I will definitely be back! we ordered lots of small plates and entrees and shared so we sampled most of the menu. Everything was so yummy! Lamb, mushroom cigars, scallops,filet, mac and cheese,tuna sashimi,to name a few. Well worth the drive from Newport Beach!Special Features:
- Always a good time and delicious1DinerDined on 11/22/2013Always a good time and delicious food. never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but could do betterChrisVIPDined on 11/11/2013A good local French bistro, offering French cuisine staples and a great wine list with an easy-going service and a friendly bar; yet a bit on the “laissez aller” slide (let it go). For instance, you could order an $850 Bordeaux bottle from their wine list but it won’t be served in the traditional Bordeaux glass or order the traditional sweetbread but they come on a salad plate; so they lost that “je ne sais quoi” (the little “special” thing) which makes a restaurant better instead of just good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treat for FoodiesMinnieVIPDined on 11/9/2013I have been going here for years and the food has never been THIS GOOD! I'm so pleased that the menu has expanded and tastes great. Octopus and Farro risotto exquisite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!BobSVIPDined on 10/29/2013Great experience. Food was outstanding (order shrimp toast to start). Pepper steak fantastic. As we went above and beyond ordering few bottles of great wine!! All and all very memorable dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.