Lou's Food Bar
1851 W. 38th Avenue
Denver, CO 80211Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Lou's Food Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lousfoodbar.com/
- Phone: 3034580336x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 2:00pm-4:00pm
Dinner:Tuesday - Thursday 4:00pm -10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Frank Bonanno
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Lou's Food Bar
Lou’s is meant to mirror the kind of comfortable spot that can be found just off roadsides around the world, and it feels that way. Maybe it’s the countryside decor, or the long, wide-planked stretch of bar. Perhaps it’s the party-light strewn patio or the hand painted vintage windows. Lou’s is a lively, neighborhood spot, where families and groups of all ages can enjoy brunch with a build-your-own Bloody Mary bar or celebrate buttery, flavorful meals over cocktails on tap and Colorado draft beers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Lou's Food Bar - Best Restaurants in Highlands ›
Lou's Food Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (17)fit for foodies (11)great for brunch (7)great for outdoor dining (6)good for groups (5)special occasion (3)hot spot (3)great for lunch (3)romantic (2)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- JoanneVIPDined on 8/26/2014Food here is always good. Being Restaurant Week and all, we didn't know if that was going to make a difference ... i.e., place would be packed, service surly, portions miniscule, etc. No worries; it wasn't! Food was delicious and plentiful, service was with a smile and our early reservation (6 p.m.) enabled us to beat the crowd that started pouring in just as we were leaving.Special Features:
- Not as good as used to beCherpetDined on 8/23/2014We have been to Lou's Food Bar multiple times. Prior to this experience we have always thought the food was unique comfort food and have never been disappointed. They also had a nice kids menu with these wiki sticks. This past weekend we were very disappointed with our experience. They had changed the menu to more of a fancy bar menu style with their specialty being fried chicken. The hostess neglected to bring us the 5280 week menu and also a wine list. When the waiter came, he was not familiar with the menu nor the beers on draft. When asked about a kids menu, he wasn't sure if they had one. We ordered our drinks with water for which the waiter stated it would be a little but for the water as they had no clean glasses. Food was normalSpecial Features:
- SlipboneVIPDined on 8/16/2014I took my family for brunch. We had a reservation for when the restaurant opened. I was really disappointed with the food. I had chicken and waffles. For a high price the chicken consisted of two overcooked wings that were barely inedible. The eggs on the benidect were basically raw. Great spot, good idea and friendly waitstaff. I hope it was just a bad day!
- Dinner was greatChucksterDined on 7/30/2014Was a little apprehensive when I pulled into the lot. The outside seemed a bit dated and the street sign looked a little tired, but the food was awesome.Special Features:
- Good Food, But Not Great Servicenutmeg3748Dined on 7/23/2014Maybe it's just because Lou's is more of a late night or brunch place, but we stood by the entrance to ask to be seated for about 5 minutes until my sister walked down to the other end of the bar to ask the bartender if we could sit outside. We went outside and sat for another 10 minutes before any waitresses appeared. The place was not busy, so I'm not sure what was going on. We were one of two tables seated on the patio. The drinks were great and the food was tasty, but the service was inattentive.
- Casually ChicJesZDined on 7/10/2014Lou's Food Bar has created an eating experience anyone can enjoy. The menu fits its casually chic ambiance by polishing up favorites like fried chicken and pork chops. Our party enjoyed looking over the diverse drink list and the wait staff made thoughtful suggestions to help with out decisions. We will be frequents.Special Features:
- fab food and great serviceAnnetastesDined on 6/26/2014Found Lou's when searching for a place near our hotel that would be open late enough for dinner after our flight arrived, and SO glad we found it! Everything we ordered (crispy artichokes, bbq duck breast, pork chops desserts) exceeded our expectations and we have been rsving sbout Lou's to our Colorado relatives and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 475 reviews are from the Lou's Food Bar reviews archive.
- Wonderful brunch on patiowaterchicaDined on 6/22/2014We had a variety of food for brunch and they were all outstanding.We sat outside on the patio and had great service. We will be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great early dinnerDenverd9rDined on 6/21/2014Stopped in about 6p.m. on a Saturday and beat the crowd. I had the Rueben sandwich on a recommendation from our server and my wife had the pork chop special. The Rueben was good, but not great (meat was a little too chopped up for my taste, but good flavor). The pork chop on blue cheese grits with pickled watermelon was to die for! My wife loved the food and the fun, casual atmosphere. We'll definitely be going back. Service was attentive without hovering. The orange flavored ice tea was another highlight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just ok...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2014Our experience was just ok. We used to love their homemade sausages and they only had one available. It was very empty on Fathers Day. They were very accommodating. I was just disappointed in the food. I would most likely just go back for a cocktail hour. I have come to hold Bonnano to a different standard, and this just wasn't up to par.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch!JennywoobsDined on 6/15/2014we celebrated Father's day here. The patio was great. The mimosa's were delicious ~ just a splash of juice & very nice champagne. I loved all of the food too. I really loved it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/14/2014Unfortunately the service was not up to par, but the food was great as we expected.
- We Love Lou'sBrettDined on 6/14/2014The food has been great every time we've been there. We went with a friend with Celiac, and she had lots of options available. It's never too crowded either, so we can usually get a table on pretty short notice.Special Features:
- Good, Unique FoodpaulcDined on 6/13/2014We had a great time at Lou's; the food was unique (not weird) and surprisingly good. Most of us had the ribeyes - cooked perfectly and excellent flavor. The ono sandwich got good reviews as did all the salads, and the cheese plate and sweet potato fry appetizers were spot-on. Excellent, friendly service too! The place looks a slight bit dive-y from the outside, don't let it fool you. Fun place!Special Features:
- food4lifeDined on 6/3/2014Cocktails & apps were great. Entrees were delicious. Dessert just a little uninspired but ok. Great overall experienceSpecial Features:
- Outstanding Brunch!MollyColoradoVIPDined on 5/24/2014Great selection of dishes to satisfy any palette. The make-your-own bloody mary bar was great fun!!Special Features:
- Focus is on the foodFamilyVisitingNYCDined on 5/16/2014Been to all of F. Bonanno's places at least once including Lou's for brunch a couple of years ago. Food was very very good as would of course be the case (and prices aren't over-inflated). He always does duck proud. First time to have one of his 'Wednesday's pies' (apple) and it was very good indeed--along with one of the best espressos I've ever had. Place was full and energetic on a Friday night for dinner. Thought the music choice was a tiny bit odd (mostly 'classic rock'?). Only real downside was the service--a little erratic and not nearly as 'polished' as one would hope or expect, but not enough to deter from a very solid dining experience. We will certainly be back and encourage you to check it out if you've not yet beenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoneDined on 5/11/2014One of the Best Brunches in town! Service great and very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/11/2014Unfortunately, not only was the dining room itself chilly, but the food also came out cold--twice. The flavors of our eggs Benedicts were just okay. The server was friendly, but temperature issues made for a less-than-idea Mother's Day brunch.
- Fab Mom's day brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/11/2014This was our first time at Lou's. Other Bonanno restaurants have been delicious and this one is no exception. Mom got to drink for free which was a nice treat. We started off with the beignets which were warm and delicious. Also I felt it was a rather generous portion. 6 for $8 isn't bad. We then got the duck confit benedict which was SO good! My husband got the burger which was cooked perfectly and so flavorful. We'd definitely go back!Special Features:
- Outstanding EatsDaveinDenverDined on 4/24/2014My fiancé and I went here to use a gift certificate, and were pleasantly surprised. The meat and cheese appetizer was excellent. The pasta primavera was delicious. Make sure to order a cocktail. Look forward to going back again.Special Features:
- Food just okaysgalDined on 4/11/2014Was hoping for better given that this is one of Frank Bonnano's restaurants -- food quality was fine but dishes were unimaginative and overpriced
- Great Happy hour.QQQ4Dined on 4/8/2014Visited Lou's Food Bar for a mid week happy hour. Our server was very friendly and gave great recommendations on food and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/4/2014My husband and I tried this place as we both love french food. I thought the food was good, not excellent. Pretty similar to something I would make at home. But the service and ambiance were both very good, as well as the cocktails. I think we'll be back.Special Features:
- Was hoping for more...vbvbVIPDined on 3/29/2014Out of all the Bonanno restaurants we have eaten at - this is out least favorite. Surly waiter, rushed service, it just was not a good night. I ordered a beer and asked if it was lighter or darker than a Bud (since I am not fond of pee water) It was exactly like a Bud. When the waiter asked if I was enjoying it - I replied no - it looked and tasted like a Bud. No response. That was his attitude most of the meal. the risotto was fine - but not risotto - rather barley and cauliflower. the brick chicken was tiny and the brussels spouts flavorless the Vesper fries were over seasoned and not hot the Caesar salad was over dressed but good the onion soup was enjoyed by all t there was no chocolate anything on the dessert menu - so why botherSpecial Features:
- Lou's for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/29/2014Had a great experience at Lou's....amazing pulled pork Benedict, friendly waiter and nice atmosphere. Would love to try the dinner menu.Special Features:
- tasty brunch!AllieMDined on 3/23/2014Lou's is always great, but I especially enjoy brunch there! great food, great experience... thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Showing Bonnano's panacheEdwardDined on 3/16/2014We'd tried Lou's early in its existence for brunch, and it left little impression on us. But for this dinner, all four of us at the table came away impressed. One of the non-drinkers had a Classic Shirley Temple and enjoyed it greatly. I, meanwhile, snarfed down the banh mi burger - not a patty made of pork and onions and sweet chili but an actual burger topped with pork and onions and sauce. It was not overly decadent but right-sized, but it was very tasty. Creativity abounded, from the duck confit to the extra crispy fried chicken. Looking forward to going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodBethDined on 3/14/2014Great Food. Friendly but slow service last Friday.I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunday brunchggc3Dined on 3/2/2014The spot was happening! However, even in a corner - kind of out of the way - I still couldn't hear my own group. The service was slightly slow and the food was good but not delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drinks were pricey but food-tasty!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/28/2014Great food and service but well drinks overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mild CritiquePigstudDined on 2/28/2014If I was forced to find something not perfect it would be the seating. The tables are so close together we could hear every word from the people seated next to us. We almost where bumping elbows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5280 experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/26/2014Delicious food, nice ambience, and quite the hot spot (not too quiet-wouldn't come on a romantic date, but a casual one-definitely).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Falls Short of It's AspirationsTravellingPDined on 2/26/2014It seems Lou's wants to be a destination for foodies with hand crafted drinks. Unfortunately they couldn't deliver in the goods with mediocre cocktails and overlooked specialty sausage in our case. There was also way too much "you can't have that" with minor menu substitution requests that seem like they could have been easily solved with an up charge. Service was pretty friendly but slow. Probably wouldn't make a point to return.
- Great DRW findTlaanaDined on 2/23/2014Delicious food and prompt service. Only sad thing was the blackened trout isn't on their regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went to Lou’s for RestaurantgeorgiapeachDined on 2/22/2014We went to Lou’s for Restaurant week. While their menu for Restaurant week was definitely not their best (it appeared the food items for Restaurant week were massed produced and prepared ahead of time) their regular menu looked delicious. We will come back to try their regular menu despite our disappointment.Special Features:
- Lou's Food BarMCAWDined on 2/21/2014Lou's is a great place to go if you're looking for comfort food with a twist. Super friendly staff, and food was delicious! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort food=only fair+expensiveShannonDined on 2/21/2014Go hear and have a cocktail and a piece of apple pie. Big bar and fun setting, but my food was not good. Like send it back not good. If I'm eating $30/person "neighborhood comfort" food I just want it taste good. I like the idea of "comfort" being salads, sandwiches, burgers etc, but my salad was awful, French onion soup decent, pulled pork sandwich good. Nothing sticks with me at all except how bad the salads were. Just a pile of lettuce with terrible dressings, no flavor, over dressed and under seasoned, bad textures, just not appealing at all. Sad I don't want to ever go back bc I live 4 blocks away and was really excited to try it.Special Features:
- Great find, great foodMichaelOCVIPDined on 2/19/2014Found this little gem while traveling on business just north of Denver. Had the Rubin sandwich and my colleague enjoyed the Chicken Confit sandwich. Both were excellent. Will be back next time I'm in town!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceMikeDVIPDined on 2/16/2014We liked this place. Sausage plate app was excellent. Enough for four to share. French onion soup was good. I had the French dip sandwich, thinking it would be smaller than an entrée. Wrong! Lots of meat and fries. I took 1/2 home. My wife had the duck confit. Best ever was here analysis. Carrot cake was OK. A little heavy but tasted good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.