600 Union St
Seattle, WA 98101Neighborhood:
French AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.loulay-seattle.com/
- Phone: 2064024588x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday-Friday 7:00am-11:00am
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 7:00am-3:00pm
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11:00am-2:00pm
Dinner: daily 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French American
- Executive Chef: Thierry Rautureau
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact - (206) 402-4588 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Contact: Anthony Alvarez 2064024588x
- Special Events: Please contact Executive Assistant Angela Everling - (206) 402-4588 - email@example.com
A word from Loulay
Loulay Kitchen and Bar is a new restaurant from Thierry Rautureau. Loulay is an urban, contemporary French restaurant and will feature local, seasonal fare with the influence of his upbringing in "Saint-Hilaire de Loulay." The accessible & multi-leveled dining room will offer the guests a variety of dining experiences offered throughout the day.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Loulay reviews from OpenTable diners
347 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (253)special occasion (193)notable wine list (126)romantic (123)neighborhood gem (80)great for lunch (79)hot spot (75)great for brunch (55)good for groups (43)vibrant bar scene (43)late-night find (26)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- So-soOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/17/2014The menu was unimaginative and food just so so. I was disappointed. Seattle eejoys too many good restaurants to settle for lackluster food.
- Delicious!k2013Dined on 9/17/2014Consistently great food and service. I come here about once a month, and it is always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/17/2014Salad was very plain. Vegetables were squishy and overdone. Tuna was good but not very warm.
- Great date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Went to Loulay for dessert and drinks after a great night eating around town...great staff and fantastic food!Special Features:
- Food good - not much optionsHungryAZDined on 9/16/2014The menu was short and the variety seemed a bit of a weird mix of items. One item I thought was an entrée was soup - there was no mention of soup in the description. Service was fine but since attempting to be "European" the tables are close. We were sat down right next to the only 3 tables with people - not sure the method for filling tables. Probably would not go backSpecial Features:
- SuperbcathouseDined on 9/13/2014Delicious food and great service. We celebrated our 20th anniversary there. Thierry (the Chef in the Hat and the owner) even stopped by our table on two occasions to talk food. More downtown fancy than Luc but just as wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ehw222Dined on 9/12/2014Decor was modern and inviting. The service was wonderful. We had a lovely young female server who was attentive and genuine. The chef also came out to chat with all the tables, which was a nice touch. We really enjoyed our food, especially the polenta with mushrooms and smoked pork cheeks. We will be back.Special Features:
- So Delicious & mostly unpretentiousMsabrinaDined on 9/12/2014Husband, friend, and I had dinner here before a show at ACT Theatre. Loved the modern luxe atmosphere from the moment we walked in the door! Was surprised at the very, very unpretentious staff on all levels: friendly and naturally warm without any snobbiness, except for the moment we ordered our drinks, which were non-alcoholic. We had the crab beignets - eat them with a bit of the sauce and the greens, yum! We shared a seared-radichio salad - mouthwatering! Pommes frites were good, but nearly identical to those you'd get at Metropolitan Market. My friend had the baked chicken for dinner, which was as tender and juicy as if it had been fried. My husband loved his albacore, mopping up the sauce with his bread, as did I with my poached sole.Special Features:
- New favDiningduoVIPDined on 9/12/2014This was our 3rd time at Loulay and it is my new favorite and our new "go to" restaurant. Food is fantastic and consistently so, and the service is impeccable. The servers are very knowlegable, friendly, and were able to accommodate any special needs we had asked for. I will recommend Loulay to everyone. And we will be back again and again. In fact, we already have our next reservation to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beware of Sheraton parkingtjackaDined on 9/7/2014If you're going to Loulay, expect a great meal and attentive service, but beware of leaving your car with Sheraton parking. They tell you they validate parking, but when you go to pick up your car, they explain why they are charging you $38, and that the posted rates "do not apply". It ruined the evening for me, particularly because I had just spent $300 for dinner with my guests. If I ever return to Loulay, I will make it a point to park anywhere but at the Sheraton, which supposedly has a "shared" relationship with Loulay. Not true. A wonderful meal ruined by a larcenous parking attendant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not very goodnotafoodieDined on 9/6/2014We had to wait over 45 minutes for our appetizer, a charcuterie platter which came with 4 pieces of bread for 5 people. Then had to order a baguette to have enough bread to eat the rest of the pate and it was half a baquette, still not enough for 5 people. We really liked Loulay when they first opened but the portions have shrunk dramatically. The pommes frittes with the burger is barely enough for one and not enough to share, the chicken came with 8 pieces of potato, not eight small potatoes but 8 small pieces and the side order of carrots which we got to share was not enough for one person or even two. About 8-10 small half inch pieces of carrot. Now if they serve bad food you can send it back but if they serve next to no food?Special Features:
- eastsiderVIPDined on 9/6/2014NW seafood stew was spectacular - rich saffron-infused soup, perfectly cooked seafood. moules frites also fabulousSpecial Features:
- Beautiful AmbianceShannonDined on 9/6/2014We were there for Saturday brunch. Beautiful interior. Nice service. Food was good, but could have been warmer. Overall enjoyed the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!GoodeatsDined on 9/5/2014This is certainly my new favorite place for date night! Everything was truly outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ForgetablestonefireDined on 9/5/2014Limited seating choices for 2..noisy..Tasteless mussels&soggy frites!! good service..Other items..Fair..Luckily adjacent couples converse in tune with ours..could be otherwise!!!
- Great Location for ACTbrowshaperDined on 9/5/2014All I have to say is, I am so thankful there is a place to go by ACT theater. It was a dead zone before now. Love Loulay.Special Features:
- LovelyReviewerDined on 9/4/2014The restaurant was lovely and the service was stellar. The prices are a bit high, but acceptable for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful spot!FoodAndWineAreGoodDined on 9/4/2014My sister and I ate here before attending a show at the 5th Avenue Theater. It was perfect! The waitstaff was exceptionally friendly and attentive, the food delicious and the ambiance lovely and special without being stuffy. One word of warning ... if you're going to the theater, make sure you give yourself plenty of time at the restaurant. The food comes out at the appropriate pace for fine dining. You don't want to rush it or your experience at this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic and fun dining experience.LesmalchatgrisVIPDined on 9/3/2014Loulay offers a fantasticly stylized ambiance and an interesting (albeit limited) menu. The booths are surprisely private and easy for conversation in the otherwise lively setting and the upstairs offers a fun vantage into the lower level. The food is creatively and well prepared. Our three-visit test routine passed and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food--Good ServiceluvtoeatVIPDined on 9/3/2014A good place to go for lunch/brunch A good variety on the menu though not a lot of choices The help was great, our wait-staff gave us a good over view of the different items and the special of the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExpectationsPickyPickyVIPDined on 9/1/2014Until the food eas served! Over cooked and dry. Really expected a special dinner.
- Very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/31/2014As a huge fan of Rover's this was tough to say, but I definitely won't be coming back here. The food was decent but nothing very special and the service was terrible. It was an hour between showing up at our reservation time and the first appetizers arriving and another hour before our mains showed up. Apparently the kitchen was backed up but it would have been good for them to be honest about that at the beginning rather than saying "we don't want to overwhelm you with all your food at once" and then wait 45 minutes between small courses. There was never even an apology, just a very late explanation of "yeah, the kitchen is backed up tonight, but we'll try to get you your food soon".
- Don't be intimidated!GreenLakeGirlDined on 8/31/2014Don't be intimidated that it's French! I'm not much of a French food fan, so I had put off trying Loulay until I was invited to a birthday lunch. I found the food was very approachable -- much more NW fusion than I expected. I have since been back for dinner and enjoyed my meal just as much, if not more. The atmosphere is beautiful and lovely -- great for personal or business.Special Features:
- potstickerVIPDined on 8/31/2014They had a hood problem and were not able to cook for us. I was very disappointed as I Love Loulay and we had to go elsewhere for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fancy AND CasualjaudetteDined on 8/29/2014In true Seattle form, Loulay is a great place for dinner, however you like it. While I prefer to keep it classy in a place like this, you won't be thrown out for not wearing a sport coat. Pretty much in the heart of downtown, there's a ton of foot traffic around, so always a lot of buzz. The food is great, and the staff is even better! Highly recommend for a special occasion, or even just a nice dinner out.Special Features:
- Not quite up to Rovers food qualityMyhumbleOpinionDined on 8/27/2014I was slightly disappointed in the food quality considering how much I've liked Rovers. Everything else is great, ambiance, service, location, etc. I'd say 3.5-4 star food quality out of 5, I was hoping for 4+ from ThierrySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has Loulay found itself?OakBayfoodthoughtsDined on 8/26/2014I loved Rover; who didn't? I liked Loulay and will return, but it seem to be lacking a certain intangible quality that separates the good from the superior. Is it "heart" or soul" or what"? I can't say. Rover was an experience; Loulay is just good food. Perhaps one should be grateful for that. I had the scrambled egg in its shell with sturgeon caviar, the squab, and the polenta. My tablemates had real entrees which they declared excellent. The squab was excellent but a bit hard to manage in the bowl. The polenta was terrific. NO complaints; I just thought, perhaps unfairly, there would be more to the experience. I'm not sure what to suggest and ,as I said, I'll go again. I recommend it, just keep your expectations in line.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night!ScottMDined on 8/26/2014Really an amazing experience from start to finish! Ryan our waiter was really great in that he was involved when appropriate and the ninja when it mattered. But most importantly Ryan was a great guide during food and wine selection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loulayoulalaDined on 8/26/2014I really like but I would not frequent it - as to me it is pricey. Restaurant i would go every now and then.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special in SeattleEnjoyVPVIPDined on 8/25/2014Creatively prepared food in an interesting setting. Booths make you feel like it's "private dining."Special Features:
- LoulaywingjVIPDined on 8/24/2014It was our first time and do plan to visit again on our next week. The service was superb and everything that we ordered was delicious most especially the caviar and egg. A great first time treat!Special Features:
- indifferent serviceraindropDined on 8/24/2014food was great, service from the hostess to the waiter were indifferent and felt snooty to me.Special Features:
- All Around Wonderful TimeShozmaDined on 8/23/2014This was our first time at Loulay, and we met there for dinner with friends visiting from out of town. The four of us enjoy trying new places and we were looking forward to the French-inspired fare and ambiance. For most of the evening, we truly had a great time and the food was fantastic. The ONLY thing I would caution newcomers about is the upstairs dining. We knew from the pictures that there was an upstairs, but we did not know that it extends way in the back and over the kitchen. We were originally seated at the very last table in a tight corner. It was much quieter up there and we could not see much of anything. The hostess was wonderful and found us a booth downstairs instead. It was perfect....we left very happy (and full).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful --a mustfunmamaDined on 8/23/2014The staff were most accommodating. The food was Delicious. The presentation was delightful. This restaurant is a must she you visit Seattle.Special Features:
- Intimate dining with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014We'd read the reviews and were definitely not disappointed! Start with a cocktail, then linger over dinner. We shared the duck confit, charcuterie, rib eye and the fois gras. The sommelier gave us great guidance to Loulay's extensive wine list, as well. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisiteOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/22/2014Best food we've had in a long time - not a lot more I can say...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't waitjefeDined on 8/20/2014Exquisite food. Lovely service. Nice vibe for couples or groups. Nice job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bst24Dined on 8/19/2014The food is well presented and taste just delicious even with simple menu and balance menu. The service is attentive but not intrusive, great place to bring a good friend.Special Features:
- Lovely Ambiance. Excellent Staff.DinnerAtEightDined on 8/19/2014Loulay provided a beautiful, relaxed and semi-private atmosphere for entertaining out of town clients. The restaurant is upscale enough to impress, while conveying a warm inviting scene that we all felt relaxed in. The excellent, unobtrusive staff, led us through a delicious meal with just the right wines from their extensive collection. We appreciated the range of pricing and were able to wine and dine four people for what we found to be a very reasonable charge. We lingered over two hours and were able to leisurely discuss our business without once feeling rushed to leave by the gracious staff, even though they were clearly busy enough to fill our seat with a moment's notice. We were completely impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a bustsouthdakotafoodies1Dined on 8/18/2014It was our 24th Anniversary and we were in Seattle. The menu went way too far to be twig and berry kind of food. We eat out a lot, and it was just really bad food. Take it from me, go for the large plates or you'll walk away hungry. The waiter wouldn't recommend ANYTHING. He pretty much just said some people have this and this, blah blah blah. We found out why. Everything was equally bad. We had unmemorable appetizer. My "pork cheeks" were tiny. Four little pebbles in a very strong broth. The polenta was fair in size but bland. My husband had the salmon, which at first glance looked small. After removing the garnish in the middle we saw how small it really was. Three bites. The prices were nice and high though. Wine was good.