211 Seventh St W
Saint Paul, MN 55102Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cossettas.com/louis/
- Phone: 6512227378
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm. Friday & Saturday: 3:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Tom Hommes
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Room seats up to 45. We have different menus to choose from.
- Private Party Contact: Amanda Hundly 6512227378
A word from Louis
Meeting friends, family occasion, on a first date, Louis is the place to raise a glass, celebrate or just mingle and be. Find the intimate booth and enjoy traditional and regional Italian cuisine or experience an urban setting on St. Paul's highest rooftop bar and sample our small plates and try one of our specialty drinks. The interior of Louis is simmering with rich and handsome feel. Louis is stylish, inviting and comfortable with beautiful wood floors, exposed brick walls, warm lighting, comfortable booths, large windows to enjoy the sweeping views of this breathtaking room.Continued
Louis offers Happy Hour 3-6pm and 9-close everyday! Louis offers discounts on selected Food and Beverage.
Louis offers Happy Hour 3-6pm and 9-close everyday! Louis offers discounts on selected Food and Beverage.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Louis - Best Restaurants in St. Paul ›
Louis reviews from OpenTable diners
214 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (121)special occasion (103)scenic view (82)neighborhood gem (77)good for groups (71)fit for foodies (68)romantic (61)vibrant bar scene (41)notable wine list (39)hot spot (33)late-night find (25)great for lunch (20)kid-friendly (16)great for brunch (9)Show More
- Outstanding Service and FoodgoldyDined on 9/13/2014Service was outstanding. Our waiter was incredible helpful on choices and delivered exemplary service. Would highly recommend this dinning experience to my friends. Menu has wide variety of choices at a wide price range for everyone.Special Features:
- saltyboboVIPDined on 9/11/2014The food was good. But it could have been outstanding had the kitshen decided to dial back on seasonings, especially the salt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Choice for St. Paul DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014I was in the restaurant business for many years in the Twin Cities in my 20's. All top notch restaurants, so I'm picky to say the least. Louis/Cosettas is some place I'd return to over and over again. I love everything about it. The location (close walk to stroll the riverfront), the view, the informed waiters, the Italian deli, and of course, the food. Hands down, one of my favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Italian foodJenInMNDined on 9/6/2014I think the waitress ruined our experience. We had a couple questions about the menu. She answered us short, with disinterest. My husband and I brought a friend in from out of town for a treat. We had a good time and ignored the upset waitress, who knows she may have had a bad day. Next time though..we'll go to the downstairs Cosettas. Our taste prefences are more Cosettas than Louis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingNativeStPaulDined on 9/5/2014We went for a birthday dinner - server had little knowledge of the menu - could not recommend suggestions for our table of first timers - food was oversalted and overdone - did not receive the value based on what we paid - ambience is VERY noisy - although we love Cossettas pizzas and pasta - the seafood was especially oversalted and overdone - don't think we will go back -Special Features:
- Louis was GREAT!LolaDined on 9/5/2014The food was outstanding. Our server was excellent! The prices are a little steep, but we will definitely go back for a special occasion.Special Features:
- DelciiouskariDined on 9/2/2014We had an amazing dinner with an assortment of entrees ranging from the Spaghetti to the Linguini with Clams to the Prawns. Everyone's was delicious and beautiful. Our server, while a good server, wasn't overly friendly or didn't give great recommendations. I have a lot of food aversions and she seem put off by that telling me that there were good items on the menu for my "tastes" but not giving any recommendations.Special Features:
- DisappointedMangiaDined on 8/30/2014We love Cossetta's market, pasticceria, and casual eatery downstairs -- true neighborhood gems. However, we were seriously disappointed in the food, atmosphere, and service when we tried out Louis this past Saturday. We ordered a fruit and cheese board as an appetizer - the cheeses were good, but the fruit did not taste fresh and this was accompanied by stale bread saturated in honey. The main courses (both pasta and meat dishes) were good, but nothing special for the price. It was incredibly loud in the dining room and much more casual than anticipated (kids running around). The wait staff was not very professional. Random wait staff/bussers removed plates from our table without asking before we were even finished with the course.Special Features:
- Very enjoyablefromeauclairewiDined on 8/30/2014The wait-staff was very accommodating, the food was excellent and the atmosphere was perfect. We very much enjoyed our time there - before and after dinner drinks outside and dinner inside.Special Features:
- Great Flavor, Not As Great CookingredgiantDined on 8/30/2014Sausages were spiced wonderfully and prepared in a good sauce, but were a bit dry and overdone. Lasagna rather simple and burnt on edges but still tasty. Chicken florentine the standout, very well prepared. Sides were all great. Definitely good place for the price if you're in the area, especially in a smaller group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experiencemamaschwegsVIPDined on 8/29/2014We took my 90 year old mom for dinner. She has dined here previously, but loves to go back! We had just a wonderful time. The wine we were suggested to try, was wonderful. Not over the top expensive, either. We had salads, and pasta for our food selections. I tried one of our waitress's favorites, and it was delicious. We always choose the Misticanza salad, which never disappoints. My husband had the Beet salad, which was also a hit. Everyone else at the table had the Bucatini, with the exception of my mom, she had the Rigatoni. Both dishes were a hit, as well!Special Features:
- ONLY FOR THE VIEWOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/26/2014the view is great and the ambiance is nice, but the food was just OK, and overpriced. we had happy hour on the roof. i would only come again for drinks. our server was not attentive, but friendlySpecial Features:
- Good service, okay foodmcwhatDined on 8/25/2014A few friends and I went to Louis for my birthday a few days ago. We ordered Fritto Misto and the Carpaccio to start. The Fritto Misto was oily and lacked seasoning. Wouldn't order again. My friend enjoyed the Carpaccio. One had the GF Pasta Alla Barese, she liked the pasta, didn't like the sausage. I had the linguini w/clams and it was quite good. They brought out creme brûlée for me and it was delicious. The wine list is okay. A family was seated next to us (around 8:30pm) with a screaming child which continued to scream throughout the meal. We couldn't get out of there fast enough. Not sure what barn these people were raised in, but they should go back and learn Parenting 101 and find a sitter, go earlier or stay home. Geez!
- LovesItalianDined on 8/24/2014Attentive service, wonderful food - taking one's experience above and beyond by sharing a sampling of something new and treating the table to a small plate of cookies before leaving!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not fantansticALGirlDined on 8/24/2014I took my parents on a Sunday evening. Most of the the food we ordered was good. The chicken marsala was excellent. The one exception was the veal saltimbocca my father ordered. It was a nice sized portion, but completely overcooked. Even an amatuer cook knows that thinly sliced veal cooks very quickly. Considering it was one of the most expensive entrees it was a bit disappointing. The wait staff was pretty patient with my elderly father that was slow to make up his mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- was very surprisedfinnopinionDined on 8/24/2014i resisted dining at Louis because i assumed the menu would be similar to the downstairs cafe, and china instead of plastic and styrofoam. so i was completely and pleasantly surprised at all of it...the menu, food prep, service, ambiance. i certainly will return with my family and friends. great job cossetta's!Special Features:
- It was okRaingirlDined on 8/22/2014It was better then some recent places I've been, but it still wasn't outstanding. Dessert case seemed impressive, but closer look, it seems like the desserts are not "homemade". Also the case had fruit flies flying all over the place. The marketplace, however, was divine!Special Features:
- Attentive wait staff, fine food.SnoozenDined on 8/22/2014We love everything about Cossetta's - it seems to have an answer for every dining whim. Friday night we decided on Louis, and were pleased by the attentive wait staff. We wanted to linger, and linger we did, enjoying wine, salads, our entrees, then dessert.Special Features:
- Fabulous!outwegoDined on 8/20/2014Our evening started with cocktails on the rooftop. Beautiful view of the cathedral. Our server was very friendly and even volunteered to take a group picture for us. Dinner followed and was wonderful. Again, our new server was very helpful and knowledgeable about different dishes on the menu. The food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- stay down stairsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014My husband and i felt rushed through our whole dining experience. The bread came out after dinner started, which signed weird to have them pour oil while your trying to eat. Our dessert was only fair and over priced. After dining there w wished we would have stayed in the cafeteria style Cossetta's down stairs (where we found a similar dessert for three dollars less and it looked more elegant).
- Great dinner!AnneVIPDined on 8/16/2014We met friends on a Saturday night (group of 6) and had a wonderful time! The waitress was wonderful.....checking back appropriately but giving us time to catch up with each other and gaze at the menu. Food was wonderful and drinks very good!Special Features:
- DinnerPhilDined on 8/14/2014We had reservations for inside but wanted outside and ended up getting the last table out. We had to sit at a high top which would not be a first choice. It was noisy and also allows smoking on the outer edge. The food was good but the bar area has a limited menu. On the other side, it is cheaper to eat outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LouisfoodDined on 8/13/2014Fun to go this Italian restaurant. Food was tasty but not outstanding. Great as leftovers the next day for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/11/2014Out of 6 of us, none of us were very impressed with the food.....which surprised all of us. After dinner, we went out to the rooftop patio. Great view, but the music drove me crazy! It was all over the place -- did not fit the setting at all. We had one drink & went somewhere else.Special Features:
- Fabulous food - too loud to think1959Dined on 8/10/2014Best Fettucine alla vongole ever - but the noise level on a Sunday night was so loud I couldn't talk to my companion. I'm not sure I would return because of the noise.Special Features:
- ....NicetryDined on 8/10/2014Although our service was good, this restaraunt was so noisy! We could barely hear the waitress and didn't even try to speak to each other across the table. Not at all enjoyable. The food was just average and was served with cold bread that was slightly burned and cold tasteless oil.
- FlavorlessjoanDined on 8/10/2014We ordered bruschetta it was aweful no flavor barely a hint of basil or garlic I ordered rigatoni got something else we had already mentioned the bruschetta decided to eat what she brought no time to wait we were going to the concert I understand they were busy but I don't think the food would be any better during a slow time won't be returning any time soon
- Good Food, LoudDennyDogDined on 8/10/2014The food was great and the service pretty good. It was very loud, we sat between the bar and patio area. The waitress forgot to place the order for our side dish and the kitchen didn't seem to make it a priority to get it out so we ended up not getting it because we were done eating. The veal was very good, really good! Great menu and nice room but not for a quiet romantic dinner.Special Features:
- packed on Saturday eveTXtwinDined on 8/9/2014Lots of happy people. Too noisy for us, even after taking off my hearing aids. Fried mozzarella app and 2 salads were excellent, pasta had to be remade with less salt, but the server was there at the right time, no fuss, the remade dish was much improved. Sadly lacking in vegetarian options for my spouse, especially when we went downstairs to the market and bought veggie lasagna and two veggie pastas to take home. Kudos to our server for her knowledge of the menu, but I guess we're not the target market for Louis. If there's a next time, we'll probably insist they go get him a veggie lasagna from downstairs.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014Good but not great. The menu lacks focus. There are items from many regions of Italy, but in many cases they are finished differently than you would expect or lack the refinement one would expect from a top Italian restaurant. For example, I love Papparadelle, but was told by the waitress that the sauce is not a well stewed ragu in the Tuscan style. It is the chunky bolognese sauce from the lasagna. It has a lovely rooftop bar which is worth visiting.Special Features:
- Not ImpressedWestSaintPaulEaterDined on 8/9/20141st time at Louis. Went with a group of 9 for wife's birthday. Server was too busy to handle a large table along with her other tables and we felt a little left out. Great looking room and patio area. Food was hit or miss, mostly miss. Most in our group were not impressed and did not like their meals. Most items were overly salted. Caprese Salad was fabulous. Short ribs were wonderful. Bruschetta was different but wife complained bread was soggy. Spiedini di Mozzarella needed a cracker, crispy bread or something to eat it with. Pappadllle Bolognese was good but pretty rich and overly salty. Overall, not worth the cost and we won't be back.Special Features:
- Loved it!SammykDined on 8/8/2014A friend recommended it to me, and I was really impressed. We will definitely come back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten Free w/Good Service2MillersEatDined on 8/8/2014Good atmosphere, good service, decent gluten free menu. Enjoyed a great wine, salads (Casear and Caprese) and restaurant-provided extras as well as the porterhouse and fish special. Steak was, according to my companion, done to his liking and tasted great. Unfortunately the halibut was extremely overdone and very dry, not to mention outrageously priced (would pay less for far more at many other places). Our last visit was 1.5 years ago w/same experience, was hoping things had changed w/similar reviews. As locals returns will be out of convenience not desire for food.Special Features:
- JCT2011Dined on 8/8/2014This was our first time to Louis in St Paul. The portions seemed high priced for what was served. Looks like a great outdoor bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014This was a special occasion...my son's 30th birthday. He and his wife had dined here before however my husband and I hadn't. We enjoyed it very much. The service was excellent and food delicious. Enjoyed beverages and appetizers on the rooftop and then moved into the dining room. A perfect evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MicheleDined on 8/6/2014Second time dining at Louis, first time shortly after opening & kinks definitely weren't worked out. Fire & smoke alarms went off throughout the night. Reluctant to return however newly engaged son requested to celebrate engagement. Menu very pricey for quantity & quality; pasta dishes just ordinary, their presentation like eating at home. Pasta seved hot, saltimbocca just warm. Ok waitress, not very personable. Average rating for above average price.Special Features:
- Courteous service; great foodSaintPauliDined on 8/3/2014We went for Sunday lunch at 12:30. The outdoor rooftop looked appealing but the piped in music was too loud. When we came back in the very nice hostess said that she could turn down the volume for us but there were many others outside and there was a great booth inside that was perfect. Our server was pleasant. We split a cheese and fruit plate which was exceptional. We split an excellent green salad and perfectly prepared rigatoni. I had one of their fun house cocktails. We split lemon and raspberry sorbet which comes with an elegant sugar cookies perched on top like a sale. Everything about this special lunch was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversaryPonfyDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I took our son and daughter in law for their first wedding anniversary to Louis's. They loved it. We loved it. We usually eat at the cafeteria style part of Cossetta's which is excellent also except that you have to get your food and carry it upstairs, etc. We thought for this occasion we would do the sit down dinner. It was wonderful. The pricing on the menu was good. The food choices were excellent. The waiters were wonderful and very good at answering our questions. I have a husband who is a vegan and there were choices for him. The ingredients in the food were so fresh. We went downstairs and did some shopping in the market and ate dessert at the bakery. The coffee smelled so good. Desserts fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014This was our first visit to Louis and we enjoyed it very much. The food, the service, the ambience was very good. We will be back to try the patio.Special Features:
- Good but flawedMJMarzDined on 8/1/2014We enjoyed the food. It was excellent. The service was only fair. The most annoying part was the coffee that came after the desert. It was served in, of all things, mugs. This results in the coffee instantly cooling to below it optimum temperature the mug being an effective heatsink. Coffee is meant to be drunk at a certain temperature for optimum flavor and aroma. That ruined an otherwise very good meal. Additionally, after pouring the coffee, the waitress disappeared neither refilling the mugs or asking if we wanted more or at least a proper temperature coffee. All said, we enjoyed and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.